An unconventional way of making friends

Will You Say Mansae for Me?

“Hello, boys!”

After the girl, Soohyang, greets them all, almost all of them rush to her. Some of them lead her to her chair, the second one from the front, on the first column if one counts from the entrance door, some of them prepare the chair. Yoonji can see the handsome boy, Mingyu, brings a duster in a hurry and starts dusting the desk and chair for the girl, also in a hurry. Unknowingly, she shakes her head at the over-attention they give for that one girl.

“Guys, you don’t have to do all of this for me,” Soohyang says right on cue with Yoonji’s thoughts. But anyway, she puts her backpack on her chair and her girl friends break off the entourage to go to their respective seat.

“You’re blocking my way.”

The sharp voice is enough to wake Yoonji out of the daze. It’s one of the girls, and she is looking at her with equally sharp eyes.

“I don’t think I’ve seen you around here. Are you the new student, perhaps?”

At the scrutiny of the sharp eyes and tongue, Yoonji feels like she’s shrinking slowly.

“Uh, well...”

“Congrats for landing yourself in this class then. Make sure to prepare for heartbreaks.”

The girl pats Yoonji on her shoulder before proceeding to her seat. Yoonji lets out a sigh, already knowing it beforehand that dealing with the kids here wouldn’t be so easy.

“Hey, new kid!”

Before Yoonji can stop to check who’s the one calling her that, a guy suddenly takes her wrist and pulls her to the front of the class.

“Hey, what are you—”

“Wonwoo-yah, bring the chair here!”

The said guy, Wonwoo, promptly brings the chair next to his and then places it right next to the doorway.

“We’re sorry for this inconvenience, but every new student has to go through this. Don’t worry, that doesn’t mean we hate you or anything.”

The guy gives her a gentle smile before beckoning her to sit on the chair. After that, he runs off to Soohyang, who still has half of the boys’ attention on her.

Yoonji looks on as the boys also start putting breads and milk cartons on her desk. Soohyang accepts them all with such a beautiful smile that Yoonji can see some of the boys looking like they have just seen an angel smiling at them.

Maybe, just maybe, the girl is an angel.

 

“Today we have a new student among us. Yoo Yoonji, please come to the front of the class and introduce yourself.”

At the instruction of Mr. Han, she rises from her seat. She then faces the other students as she starts doing a head count.

...15, 16, 17. 13 guys, 4 girls. Now 5 including me...

“I’m Yoo Yoonji from Jeonju. Pleased to meet you all. Please take care of me.”

She then bows briefly after the introduction.

“Okay, Miss Yoo. Now will you bring your seat to the empty spot next to Wonwoo?”

She then turns to look at the chair placed near the door, which was originally placed next to Wonwoo’s seat. Sighing for a moment, she goes to get the chair and brings it where Mr. Han told her to.

“Today, we are going to learn the history of Hangul. Miss Yoo, did you bring your book?”

“Uh, yes, Mr. Han,” Yoonji stutters a little as she grabs her history book from her bag onto the desk.

“Hey, can we share the book?”

The deep voice surely was coming from her seatmate, Wonwoo, but she didn’t expect the boy to possess that deep of a voice. She turns to look at him for a moment before nodding with a little hum.

“Now, open your book on page 74. Read the text under subsection “King Sejong’s Biography” until page 75. After reading, I’ll ask you some questions for discussion.”

She opens the book as the teacher instructed and puts it in the middle of the shared desk, so that Wonwoo can have easy access to read it as well. After some time they spent in silence just reading the text, Wonwoo suddenly speaks up.

“Do you like our school’s fountain that much?”

Yoonji immediately looks at Wonwoo, a ghost of a smile on his face.

“I saw you looking at the fountain with a really dreamy look,” he adds with nonchalance in his tone.

“Well... yes. It’s really pretty,” she replies as her eyes turn back to the book. She doesn’t really know what to think at the moment, but she’s sure it really distracts her from reading now.

 

As the bell that signals break time rings, sure enough, the boys are all crowding Soohyang’s seat. As she starts leaving her seat, they also follow until they’re out of the classroom.

Yoonji sighs again before reaching her bag to grab her lunchbox.

“Hey, new kid,” the sharp voice was heard before a screeching of a chair comes next. Soon enough, the sharp-eyed, sharp-tongued girl is seated in front of Yoonji.

“What is your name again? Yeonji?”

“Yoonji,” another girl corrects as she casually sits down on Yoonji’s shared desk. Soon enough, Yoonji finds herself surrounded by the remaining three female students of the class.

“Great. You can join our club, I suppose.”

“Huh?” Yoonji is sort of taken aback by the offer.

“The three of us are in The Unwanted club. You know the reason why we’re called that, right?”

Yoonji immediately thinks to the boys and Soohyang. How they are all totally focused on her, giving all of their attention to her and only her. It doesn’t take too long for her to nod to the question.

“Okay, then. I’m Park Jungin, the leader of the club,” the sharp-eyed girl says as she offers a handshake. Yoonji accepts it. After that, she turns to the girl who sits on the desk, who flips her hair first before she starts speaking.

“I’m Kim Taeyeon. I know, you must be thinking of SNSD’s Taeyeon, but I’m not her. I don’t even like her. Anyway, just you know, I’m the first ranker in this class.”

Yoonji can see Jungin rolling her eyes from her peripheral vision. Meanwhile, the other girl keeps looking at the seat next to Yoonji, as if she wants to sit there. Yoonji notices it and pats the chair, welcoming her to sit there.

“Thank you!” she exclaims as she sits down. Then she meekly offers a handshake, in which Yoonji amusingly accepts.

“I’m Lee Hyejin. I used to be bullied when I was in the first year by the seniors, but now, after joining the club, I don’t get bullied anymore, so I am now a happy girl. Pleased to meet you.”

Soon enough, Yoonji’s amused expression turns into that of pity. She pats the girl’s shoulder in reassurance. Hyejin looks at Jungin, who gives her a double thumbs-up.

“Yeah, I’m pleased to meet you too. All of you.” Yoonji looks at each of the girls' faces, and wants to let out a sigh of relief. At least some of them want to be my friends...

“Great. Now what do we have here?” Jungin tentatively reaches for Yoonji’s lunchbox. Yoonji is quick to notice, as she puts her hands over the lunchbox.

“My mother made it for me,” Yoonji states it as a matter-of-fact.

“Well, that doesn’t mean you can’t share it with your friends, right?”

Yoonji feels her heart touched again at the use of the word ‘friends’. She turns to look at each of the girls' faces again, as they offer her warm smiles, and finally, she melts.

“Yeah, I suppose... we can share it...”

Without further ado, Jungin snatches the lunchbox from Yoonji, opens it to find delicious-looking toasts in it, and starts digging in. Hyejin also grabs a piece, and Taeyeon grabs one too, albeit in a very sophisticated way, as she would like to emphasize.

Good coincidence that her mother only made three pieces. The girls eat them all, leaving Yoonji with nothing at all.

“That was great! Hey, why don’t you ask your mom to bring more toasts tomorrow? I’ll be looking forward to it!”

Jungin then starts walking towards the classroom’s exit, with Taeyeon and Hyejin trailing from behind. Yoonji keeps looking at the empty lunchbox, and starts to wonder whether those girls are actually bullies in disguise.

 


No offense to SNSD fans! Taeyeon is actually my favorite member in SNSD ^^ Anyway all the comments suggested Wonwoo as the main, so I tried to include him in this one chapter just to test out his chemistry with Yoonji. But that doesn't mean I've decided the main guy! Throughout the next chapters, I'll do chemistry test with the other boys too, so I guess you can anticipate that... and when I decided who the main guy will be I will make an announcement for sure~