An unconventional first day

Will You Say Mansae for Me?

Yoonji sighs for the nth time since she moved to Seoul. There are many things she dreads for moving into a new city and a new school. Getting to know new things, customs, and of course, people all over again. She was comfortable enough with her life in her hometown, but her parents finally decided it was time for them to move away from the peaceful town they lived in. Hence, here they are.

“You’ll love your new school, honey,” her mother reassures as she hands a lunchbox to her daughter. “Didn’t you say you like the fountain? If you like the fountain, I’m sure you’ll like the rest of the school.”

Well, okay, Taebaek High is rather fancy, what with the big fountain in the middle of the building, located in the garden surrounded by the school buildings. When she first visited the school to take care of some administration stuff, she was quite mesmerized by it, but now that her first day is here, she doesn’t want to imagine how the students will be like. Probably those rich, spoiled brats who likes to bully the poor kids, but anyway, she doesn’t really want to guess. She sighs again, hoping that she’ll survive the day without a scratch.

“I’ll be going, Mom, Dad!”

“Yeah, be careful on your way, Yoonji-yah!”

“Don’t forget to eat your lunch, honey!”

The school starts at 7:30, but it is only 6:45 or so in the morning, and Yoonji is currently the only one sitting in the school bus. She likes it this way though; at least it provides some sort of leisure for her before going to the unknown that is her new school.

She keeps herself busy while in the bus by watching the scenery outside the windows. After some time though, she sees a crowd of boys wearing similar uniform as hers standing by a bus stop. Sure enough, the bus takes its stop, and those boys start filling in the narrow spaces of the bus.

Yoonji is sort of shocked to see the sight of those boys. Looks-wise, they are all above average. Some of them are just utterly handsome. She wonders if any of them are in the same class as hers, because if there are, she can at least be thankful for some eye candy whenever she feels bored in class.

The boys immediately take the seats at the back, with one of them sitting next to Yoonji without even asking, making her quickly turn her head to the window.

The bus starts again, and suddenly Yoonji wishes to arrive at school quicker.

“Hello?” She can feel a hand softly patting her shoulder. Trying to control her facial expression, she turns around to meet the boy sitting next to her.

“Are you going to the same school as us? I don’t think I’ve seen you around.”

She blinks once, twice, thrice, before nodding.

“Cool! What’s your name? I’m Kwon Soonyoung, by the way.”

The boy who goes by the name Soonyoung offers her a handshake, in which she hesitantly accepts.

“Yoo Yoonji.”

“Yoonji! Which class are you from?”

“Uh...” she hesitates again, feeling kind of nervous that Soonyoung doesn’t stop with his questions. “Well, I’m in my second year, but today is my first day, so... I still don’t know which class...”

“Oh! You new?” Soonyoung wriggles his eyebrows, seemingly knowing of something that she’s supposed to know. “Maybe you’ll end up in our class. If you do, that’ll be great.”

“Uh?” She isn’t sure of what she just heard. Meanwhile, Soonyoung just flashes a toothy grin with crinkling eyes that reminds her of when a clock’s hands are at 10:10, before turning to talk with his friends.

“What did he just say?” Yoonji wonders to herself again before turning to look at the scenery outside again.

 

After a (painfully) long ride, the bus finally arrives in front of the school gate of Taebaek High. Yoonji doesn’t rush herself out of the bus, since after the boys, there are many other students who boarded the bus, and now, she is stuck by her window seat, and she has to wait for Soonyoung to get off first.

“Sorry,” Soonyoung suddenly says to her. “If it wasn’t so crowded I would’ve come out sooner of the bus.”

“Uh? Why? It’s not your fault,” she nonchalantly replies.

“Well... see you in class!” He finally stands up from his seat along with his other friends and gets off the bus. Yoonji is still seated, wondering if Soonyoung already knows about something. Like where her class is located for example.

Anyway, she finally gets off the bus, and goes straight to the administration room. After getting the needed information about her classroom and her homeroom teacher along with a map of the school, she heads off right away to the class.

While walking through the corridors, the sight of the beautiful fountain in the middle of the school garden grabs her attention. After admiring it for a brief moment, she continues walking towards her classroom.

The administration staff put her in class 2-5, which is located on the second floor. So she has to ascend the stairs to get to the class. Her homeroom teacher is Mr. Han, who teaches Korean history. The staff did say something about the class, saying she has to be careful of the students.

“Or else you’ll get punished. A lot,” said the staff.

Yoonji rarely gets punished for anything in her school life, so she is sure she won’t get any share of punishment during her stay in this class.

Once she finds the classroom, she can hear many noises coming from there. Guys shouting, some pop music playing, and maybe the sound of something scrapping the floor. Maybe the table or the chair?

When she arrives in the doorway though, she really can’t hide her surprise when she sees the same crowd of boys in the bus scattered around the classroom.

Some of them are busy cleaning, some of them reading, some of them throwing trash papers around. One of them immediately lands on Yoonji’s head. Although she barely feels any pain, she feels embarrassment creeping up as their voices start to die down at the realization of her arriving in class.

“Haha, I told you what! Now pay me 5000 won!”

It’s Soonyoung’s voice, she recognizes, and her eyes immediately searches for the 10:10 eyes. He is sitting on one of the tables, with one of the other guys handing him some money with disappointment all over his face.

“Do you want to help clean up?”

She looks up to a really handsome face, and perhaps this face is the most handsome out of all of the other boys in her opinion. He has a really friendly and somehow childish smile plastered on his face, and although she is upset just now, she can’t resist an offer wrapped up in a really pretty wrapping paper and ribbon; in this case, a pretty boy.

“Uh, yes, sure.”

“Great! I already swept the floor, so all you have to do is mop!”

He hands her the said mop, and also drags over a bucket full of water.

“Don’t worry, we still have another mop so you won’t be doing it alone!”

She sighs in relief at that, and starts working with mopping the floor.

It doesn’t really take her such a long time to finish with the chores, even if she still has her backpack on. The handsome boy mops around more than her anyway, so she doesn’t really feel it was too hard. When she straightens up to stretch her waist though, she feels something bumping into her bag.

She looks down on the floor to see a whiteboard eraser. And by coincidence, her bag is white in color.

She immediately checks the spot where she felt the bumping, and there it is, a black mark in the shape of the eraser. Her eyes starts tracing around the room to find which one is the culprit.

“Not me!” A boy with particularly chubby cheeks who is standing right in front of the whiteboard raises both his hands.

“No, he lied! Seungkwan did that!” another boy shouts.

“I didn’t!” The chubby-cheeked boy, Seungkwan denies again.

Yoonji really doesn’t want to start an argument, so she turns back to retrieve her backpack. But when she turns around, a tall figure is holding the bag, and he is currently trying to erase the black mark from her bag using his own hands. She’s startled to find out it is the handsome boy who offers her to mop together just now.

“Wait, don’t do it! Your hands get dirty like that!” she protests.

“Don’t worry! I’m used to it!” He continues brushing on the black spot until there is minimal trace of it left. “Here.”

“Ah, thank you...” She accepts the bag gratefully.

“By the way, what’s your name?”

“Uh?” She looks up again in confusion.

“Oh, rude me. I should say my name first! I’m Mingyu, and you are?”

“Ah,” she hesitates again, still unable to believe this handsome boy is asking for her name. “I'm—”

“Hi, Soohyang!”

“Oh, our Soohyangie!”

“Noo—I mean, Soohyang-ah!”

Yoonji turns to where the boys are throwing their greetings to. There stands a girl, also wearing the same uniform as hers, with three other girls trailing from behind. At the sound of her name, the girl looks at each of the boys, and throws a sweet smile at them.

“Hello, boys!”

 


Posted chapter 1. Sorry if this is a boring stuff, but first chapters are always like that, aren't they? Also, this is unbeta-ed, so I'll probably check back to edit it.

Anyway, the main male character suggestion is still on, so feel free to put your suggestion in the comment!