She Really Is

Don't Forget Me

-----( The night, at the bridge )-----

 
Every inch closer to the river just below her, the more weight that is lifted off her shoulders. She really feels like she's flying, her eyes are closed shut and she keeps them shut until she makes contact to the river beneath her. It was quick, painless almost, for Sana at least.
 
So when her eyes squinted open to face the ceiling of a brightly-lit room, she swore she was now in heaven. She's having the biggest headache, instinctively bringing her hand to her forehead. She doesn't realize the bandage wrapped around her head like lace, the gash on her head oozing horrific pain.
 
A nurse rushes to her side,
"You're awake, do you think you're stable for questioning?"
 
Sana blinks curiously at this woman, she has no clue of where she is, or who this woman is, but to answer her question, she seemed fine. Well, pushing the thought of the inch-deep cut on her forehead aside.
 
"Y-yeah...where am I?"
 
The woman flashed her a smile. She aids Sana in sitting upright, diligently leading her into the wheelchair at the foot of her bed.
 
"I'm going to wheel you to the waiting room to meet somebody, do you know who is visiting you?"
 
Sana still has no idea what this woman is saying, she's nodding cluelessly to every one of her questions. Sidewinding infinitely down the halls of the building, it gives her some time to think back, well, she has no idea why she's here, how she got here, it seems that her memory is so extremely fogged. She can recall her name, her birthday, the basics. She's aware that she's in another place because the writings on the corridor walls aren't in her home language, but strangely, she can understand them. Weird. 
 
Snapping herself back to reality, she senses the wheelchair slowing down to a complete stop. She looks up to what seems to be a familiar face, but she can't put a name on it. It's at the tip of her tongue, she swears, she remembers those eyes.
 
"Sana-ya, it's JYP. Do you remember me? Aish, what's with your forehead?"
 
He looks concerned, he sits patiently for an answer. Sana is somehow understanding what this man is saying, but she knows in her heart that it isn't the language she's so accustomed to. 
 
"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are...I mean, I've seen you before, but I just can't remember. I'm sorry.."
 
Sana slumps back in her chair, she feels a sense of guilt, wishing she could understand why she was here, or who this man was. She's taking the guess that she's caused this man to worry, after all, he's been waiting all this time here for her, and he seems to be alone. The man raises a brow at her, then buries his face into his hands. Confirmed, he's really bothered by this situation.
 
"You'll stay here until you recover, okay? Nobody can know about this, you understand? I don't want anybody coming here to disturb you in the process of healing, make sure to get lots of rest, for me and your members."
 
He seems sweet. He brings the back of his hand to the bandaged wound secured to her head. He just now understands it, Minatozaki Sana is experiencing memory loss
 
"Nurse, replace this bandage soon. It's beginning to bleed through, clean her up."
 
The tear that drips down his cheek shuts her up, the nurse does not want to cause this man any more trouble. 
 
"I'll make sure to. Anything else for the girl?"
 
He nods, there isn't anything else to say. He says his goodbye, wishes her the best of luck, and leaves Sana's fate in the doctors' hands. 
 
----- (Sana's birthday, at the bridge) -----
 
Mina's legs feel terribly weak, she's can't accept this. It has to be another dream of hers, but it feels so real. Sana stands in front of her, but she doesn't dare to take any step closer, she's afraid that the latter will faint if she does. Mina hides her face in her hands, sobbing uncontrollably. Sana hates to see Mina this way.
 
"You know. I barely recognized you. Not because of the whole memory loss thing but, you seem so lifeless. Pale and thin, I promised you I was fine. I thought you'd do so much better without me."
 
Mina raises her face to get a better look at Sana. She can't help but notice the scar on her forehead. It's too evident to be ignored, she steps closer to Sana, focusing her gaze at the mark.
 
"Memory loss, what the hell? Sana did you really...is this because of me? I know it's because of me, I'm so sorry, you don't understand, and Momo is too, I swear what I said that night was the truth and I only wanted to see you one more time to tell you that." 
 
Sana brings her hands to the concrete railing and takes a deep breath.
 
"For months, you never came looking for me. I told you not to, I guess you learned to accept my fate. But when I recovered, endless sessions of therapy and weeks in a hospital bed, I came to look for you."
 
Mina does not interrupt, she lets the latter continue with her sermon.
 
"I knew you wouldn't forget my birthday. I was sure  that if you truly cared for me, you'd come to visit me, or at least honor me." 
 
Sana smiles. How Mina misses that smile of hers, how it makes her heart feel so warm. She has countless memories with that very smile of hers, her heart's been aching for it since the moment of her sudden absence. Yearning for a second taste, it's here, and Mina feels so alive in its presence. 
 
"So, you really care about me don't you? To come here, wish me both a birthday and a formal apology. You're sweet, I missed your soft-spoken voice, the hair that drapes over your shoulders, your pale skin, I missed you, so much."
 
Mina can't restrain her feelings, she almost feels resurrected, the false hope that many held, that Sana would still be alive, here she is. Sana steps to her, aware of the state of shock that Mina is in.
 
Bringing Mina into her embrace, the latter melts into the familiar touch. She breathes in the scent of her, she holds her closer,
 
"I'm so sorry, I'm sorry I made you wait, I'm sorry this had to happen, I'm sorry I had caused you such pain."
 
Mina mumbled, Sana doesn't allow her to feel any worse. She reassures her, she's telling Mina countless times in their embrace "I'm okay, don't worry."
 
She really is, she knows now how much Mina has been aching for this moment. They've both been looking forward to this, the feeling has been mutual. Breaking from the embrace, 
 
"It is my birthday, how about some spring rolls for the members, as an apology. I want them to feel better, my treat!"
 
Mina giggles at how cute Sana is being, she can only remember their time as trainees. It's so refreshing, reliving these moments together. She's clutching tightly to Sana, and promises her one thing,
 
"I'm never letting you go."
 
The sun rises just above the river, kissing all in its path with its radiance. Mina and Sana are standing here, the most important event of their lives. 
 
----- (Back at the dorm) -----
 
"What if the members faint? You know how much they've been missing you? Especially Momo sheesh she's a mess, are you-"
 
Mina is really just talking to herself, Sana is already past the dormitory entrance and she can hear the squirrel squeal behind her,
 
"IM BACK, NOW WHO WANTS SOME SPRING ROLLS?"
 
Mina is trailing behind her, peering over Sana's shoulder, she can see the faces of her members. Their jaws are dropped, some in tears, some just paralyzed.
 
"I know, long time no see, I'll explain it all, let's just celebrate, it's my birthday if you have forgotten! I'm REALLY hungry and I'm sure Momo is too"
 
She sets the basket on the kitchen counter, it's filled to the brim with vegetables, store-bought ingredients.
 
"Guys I'm really sorry,
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
But the carrots aren't organic."
 
The members burst into laughter, whether it's in the midst of tears or out of their frozen state, their 4D Sana is back, she really is, and they're never letting her go.