Part 1/2

SHIELDS
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

SHIELDS

 

 

 

 

“This is Mister Song Minho and he will take care of your personal security from now on”

 

Taehyun eyed the man in front of him with skepticism. He was the typical bodyguard his father would hire: tall, imposing, a serious expression plastered on his face. He had caramel skin and thick eyebrows that gave him a scary look.

 

He crossed his arms. “Great, you basically want me to be a loner for the rest of my life,” he nodded at the man in suit. “Look at him, no one would ever want to get near me with this human wardrobe at my back!” He took a closer look at this Song Minho. “You must have had a really sad childhood to grow up with that kind of expression on your face, mh? Don't worry, I totally understand you.” He glanced at his father with accusing eyes.

 

The old man was used to Taehyun's dramas by now. “That's exactly why I hired him, to keep people away from you.”

 

Taehyun shot a death glare to his new bodyguard. “Leave us alone.”

 

Song Minho looked at the boy's father for confirmation. Taehyun grinned and snapped his fingers in his face. “Hey Wardrobe, you're my personal bodyguard, not my father's. Do as I say.”

 

The man quickly bowed and left the room. Taehyun waited until the door was closed before turning to face his father. “What happened to the last bodyguard?”

 

“I think you know very well what happened to him.”

 

“Why did you fire him? I was getting used to his stupid face.”

 

His father didn't look pleased. “Indeed, he was so stupid I had to spend a million won to make those pics of you wasted at that party disappear. If he were a good bodyguard it wouldn't have happened,” he sighed. “And if you were a good son, you wouldn't bring so much shame upon our clan with your childish behavior. You're twenty now, Taehyun. One day, you'll be taking over this clan and you'll be controlling-”

 

“...half of Seoul's criminals, I know.”

 

The old man's expression got colder. “We're not criminals. We keep the balance in this chaotic country.”

 

“We're mafia, father. I love our family and most of all I love our money,” he grinned. “But don't sugar-coat it too much. I'm not a child anymore, I know what we do.”

 

“Then you should know we do it for a reason. This clan was born hundreds of years ago, and you're my only heir. Your safety comes before anything else for me,” Taehyun noticed a glimpse of worry in his eyes and a crooked smile spread on his lips. He honestly didn't know if his father cared so much about him because he loved him or just because he needed a rightful

heir to the family business.

 

He had stopped asking himself that question a long time before. He just shrugged, “Whatever, that wardrobe is going to fail like all the other bodyguards, so who cares,” he took his bag without waiting for his father's answer and walked out of the door.

 

Song Minho was standing right outside of the room, waiting for him. Taehyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Okay listen,” he stood before him and pointed one finger to his chest. He looked almost tiny in comparison with his guard, but not the least intimidated by him. “Don't stand too close to me. I need to breathe and I don't want people to understand you're a bodyguard. Don't look too constipated if you can. You're scary,” he made a face and stepped back. “And now get my car, we're going shopping,” he faked an angelic smile, threw his car keys at him and his heels.

 

The bodyguard's face didn't show any kind of emotion in response to those words. He just took the keys and followed suit.

 

 

 

* *

 

 

 

“Give me the red one back!”

 

Minho sighed and tried to find the red tee among the mountain of clothes he had in his arms. Taehyun was waving his hand from behind the curtain of the changing room pretty impatiently, though that was already the fifth shop of that shopping afternoon. Minho thought about the car already full of bags from all the most expensive places downtown and wondered why did that kid need so many clothes and bags and shoes.

 

He accepted the job purely out of need for money and he was aware of what kind of family Taehyun was from. His father had been part of the clan as well and Minho was raised in that world. He had been away for many years, first for his enlistment and then for some other businesses. Once he was back in Seoul he found himself with very little money and no plans for the immediate future. He needed a job, and being the bodyguard of a spoiled heir surely wasn't among his options.

 

Truth be told, he was way too qualified for the task, and Taehyun's father knew it, that's why he didn't even consider the other candidates and gave Minho the job right away. But it was temporary, he was just waiting for something that would better suit his abilities. It didn't mean he wasn't going to do his job properly, of course. Not only Minho wasn't the type of person to do anything like that, but he also knew too well that if something ever happened to Nam Taehyun he was a dead man. The clan wasn't known for being forgiving.

 

“Here's the red one,” he said, but Taehyun refused it and stepped out of the cabin fully clothed.

 

“I changed my mind,” he stated. “Dolce&Gabbana had better stuff. Let's go back there!” he threw another bunch of clothes on Minho and walked away.

 

Minho rolled his eyes and left the clothes in the arms of a shop assistant who didn't look really pleased. He couldn't blame her: Taehyun had spent an hour bothering everyone in the shop to find what he wanted and in the end he wasn't going to buy anything. He apologized to the woman and caught up with him at the entrance.

 

Taehyun gave him the once-over. “Well?” He asked in his superior way.

 

Minho raised an eyebrow, confused. Taehyun smiled his ironic smile. “Where are my clothes?”

 

Minho blinked. “I thought you didn't want them?”

 

Taehyun rolled his eyes. “Of course I want them. Where are they?”

 

“I think the shop assistant put them away...”

 

“Then go and take them back, what are you waiting for?” Taehyun looked at him closely. “Is there any trace of brain behind those eagles you call eyebrows?” He asked, a questioning look on his face.

 

Mino took a deep breath, forcing a smile. “I'll be right back,” he his heels before he could strangle that little spoiled brat.

 

Taehyun grinned. “Moron,” he murmured, before nonchalantly looking around and making his way out of the shop. It had been so easy, and his father still bragged about how good that Song Minho was. He was just an idiot like all his previous guards.

 

Taehyun walked down the road and stretched one hand out to call a taxi. He was going to stay at a friend's for a while, just to make his father angry. That Minho guy would have to personally explain how he had lost the boss's son. He smirked evilly at the thought.

 

“Taxi!” he called out, but the traffic was too intense and no one was paying attention to the sidewalk. He snorted, walking down another block while continuously waving his hand out.

 

Finally, a vehicle stopped beside him, but it wasn't a taxi. Taehyun's eyes went wide: he knew that black car very well.

 

The black window lowered, showing Minho's stern profile. “Get on,” he said, looking at the road ahead.

 

Taehyun crossed his arms, feeling frustrated and embarrassed at the same time. He got on the front seat near the bodyguard and looked at him for a while. “Don't think you're cool now, I told you to get my clothes back. It was a direct order from your employer.”

 

Minho was focused on the intense traffic and just pointed his thumb to the backseat. Taehyun turned around and saw a new shopping bag among all the others: it had the name of the last boutique they visited printed in black letters on the paper. Taehyun was shocked.

 

“How the hell did you pay–” Minho cut him off by throwing a wallet on his lap. Taehyun realized it was his wallet. He checked into his handbag to confirm it was not there.

 

“...You stole my wallet,” he was scandalized. “What the hell? I'm so going to tell this to my father, you'll be fired right away!”

 

“You're not,” Minho said, not the least worried. “Because then you'd have to say you were trying to escape and you can't afford to do that.”

 

Taehyun knew the man was right. He sank into the leather seat, arms crossed like a sulking teenager. He looked outside of the window, his eyebrows furrowed so low they almost touched.

 

“You're seriously so annoying.”

 

Minho just grinned. Taehyun caught that and rolled his eyes.

 

The ride home – where the man was surely bringing him – was going to be so long with all that traffic and Taehyun wasn't the type to stay still. He kept silent for a while, then turned around and looked at the bodyguard. He stared at him until he spotted a mobile phone peaking from his pocket. He grinned and grabbed it with a quick movement.

 

Minho just turned his gaze for a brief moment. “What are you doing?”

 

“Relax, I don't care who you ,” Taehyun shrugged, opening the camera.

 

Minho wasn't sure what the kid meant and decided it was best to just ignore him and focus on the road.

 

Taehyun opened Minho's phone book, saved the bodyguard's number on his mobile, his number on the bodyguard's one with a sober 'my handsome employer' and then proceeded to snap a selfie to add to the brand new contact. That was when Mino took the phone away from him with a the hell are you doing? which was a pretty fitting thing to say since Hell only knew what could happen if Taehyun's father found out Minho had pictures of his son on his mobile phone.

 

“I only saved my number, relax,” Taehyun looked bored. “You're my bodyguard right? You'll need it.”

 

“And why did you snap a picture of yourself?”

 

The young heir rolled his eyes. “You're so old-fashioned, seriously. Everyone does that nowadays! So that, every time I'll call you, you'll see my pretty face,” Taehyun concluded with a flirty grin, taking out his own phone again. “Look!” he dialed Mino's number.

 

Since the traffic light was red, Minho checked the screen, where a pic of Taehyun doing a duck face and a peace sign appeared as soon as the phone started ringing. He rolled his eyes and hung up without answering.

 

The job was way harder than he had previously thought.

 

 

 

* *

 

 

 

“How was this first day?” the boss asked while they were all gathered in the big, luxurious studio.

 

Taehyun wasn't amused. “Boring. He hasn't left me for a second, I couldn't even breathe!” He complained, arms crossed and death glares to his bodyguard.

 

Minho avoided his stare, looking straight at the boss's face. “Nothing suspicious happened. I checked the whereabouts of every place we've been in. He was safe.”

 

The old man slowly nodded. “That's exactly why I hired you. And that's why I'm asking you to be extra-careful for your next task,” the boss had a little smirk on his lips. “Next Saturday you'll have to Taehyun to a party and be sure no one takes any pic of him or tries to drag him away. I need him to be safe and, if possible, sober,” he glanced at Taehyun, whose face resembled that of a fish: wide eyes and open mouth.

 

“What? No way– the party? You know it's Seunghoon's birthday party! You know how important this is to me! I don't want to spend the evening with this... streetlamp around me all the time!”

 

Mino raised an eyebrow. From wardrobe to streetlamp? Was it a promotion or the other way around?

 

Taehyun's father looked at him with cold eyes. “If you were the son this family needs, you wouldn't need this much security. But you clearly don't know how to behave and I honestly don't know what to do with you anymore, Taehyun.”

 

Taehyun clenched his fists and looked away, a pained expression on his face. Minho felt like he wasn't supposed to be there, and indeed he wished he wasn't. It was clearly a private matter and he didn't understand why Taehyun's father was discussing it in front of him. Taehyun looked hurt and embarrassed, he could tell by his face. For the first time, he felt a rush of sympathy for the kid.

 

He cleared his throat, “Sir,” he said. “I'd like to discuss plans for Saturday night security with the young master. I need to know the place and other details to make sure he will be safe. May we dismiss ourselves?”

 

The boss just nodded before giving them his back to pour himself some whiskey.

 

Minho waited for Taehyun to walk out of the room, then followed after him.

 

“What was that?” the boy asked as soon as the door was closed. “I'm not going to discuss anything about Saturday with you, I don't even want you there,” he was still visibly upset and was trying way too hard to avoid Minho's gaze.

 

Minho smiled. “I know,” he said, almost softly. “I just thought you needed to get out of there.”

 

Taehyun's head shot up at those words. He didn't expect Minho to care. He tucked some hair behind his ear and crossed his arms, even more embarrassed. “W-well I didn't need your help,” he spat. “And by the way that excuse was so lame.”

 

Unexpectedly, Minho started laughing. Taehyun looked at him with wide eyes. It was the first time he saw the bodyguard smiling and he had to admit he had a beautiful white smile that was also contagious. He tried hard not to smile back.

 

“It was the first thing that came to my mind. I'm sorry,” Minho smiled again and for a moment he looked like he was going to pat Taehyun or something, but he restrained himself. “I'm going to get all the bags from the car,” he coughed, trying to get away from the awkward situation. They weren't allies, nor friends.

 

“You're totally unprofessional,” Taehyun said, like he was reading his thoughts. Then, he grinned. “But I guess I'll need help to set all my new clothes.”

 

Minho rolled his eyes. “As you wish, young master.”

 

Taehyun felt a small shiver at the way Minho pronounced the two last words, but he blamed the cold weather as he watched the wide shoulders of his bodyguard get away.

 

 

 

* *

 

 

 

“Are you for real?” Taehyun asked later that night, hands on his waist and one eyebrow raised.

 

Minho blinked, confused. “Didn't all your bodyguards sleep in the room next to yours?”

 

“Uhm, no?” Taehyun had his y voice again, the voice that made Minho want to roll his eyes without even listening to the words first. “Are you kidding me? They had their own room in their own section of the mansion. I mean, are you aware this is my home? What could possibly happen here?”

 

Minho just shrugged. “Seems like your father changed his mind this time. He thinks you need better security, so I'll be sleeping in the next room. Goodnight,” he smiled, knowing how much that news would piss the young heir.

 

Taehyun slammed the door in his face and started pacing the room back and forth, letting out frustrated sighs. Of course his father would do something like that. He knew perfectly Taehyun would sneak out of the mansion at night, but it was way too hard to do it with that guard sleeping in the next room.

 

From what he could see, Minho was way more skilled than his previous personal bodyguards, something that he didn't like at all. He didn't believe his life was in danger like his father said. They were one of the biggest clans in Seoul but he was just a boy – who would have any interest in him? It was so frustrating to have a guard around all the time. He felt babysat, and it was probably what his father really wanted.

 

He started preparing to go to bed, ruminating on that new annoying situation. He wasn't going to stay still and be the perfect son his father expected him to be. He wasn't just a pawn his father could move for his own interests without asking for his opinion.

 

Taehyun crossed his arms and looked at the door, one eyebrow raised.

 

“You expect troubles? You'll have troubles.”

 

 

 

* *

 

 

 

 

The morning after, when Taehyun walked out of his bedroom, Minho was just walking out of his room as well. The difference was in their outfits: the bodyguard was already perfectly dressed up in his usual black suit, while Taehyun was still in his pajamas.

 

“Seriously, are you stalking me?” was the first thing Taehyun said to the guard.

 

“Good morning,” Minho replied, fixing the cuffs of his shirt with nonchalance.

 

“You have cameras in my room, don't you?” Taehyun went on, one eye still closed. “This is unacceptable, I will tell my father about–”

 

“I think breakfast is ready,” Minho ignored him. “You father is already there. You should hurry up,” he turned to Taehyun and smiled. “So you can finally tell him about all your complaints.”

 

All Minho could hear next was the sound of Taehyun's slippers down the stairs covering the sound of his angry mumbling, and he enjoyed it really much as he followed suit.

 

The dining room was the size of two average classrooms, the table was set in the middle and covered almost the whole width of said room. Taehyun's father was sitting at the edge of it and was reading a newspaper as he drank his coffee.

 

“Nice pillow marks by the way,” Minho whispered in Taehyun's ear before letting him join his father for breakfast.

 

The bodyguard lined up against the wall, standing with his back straight as the rule wanted. He was supposed to be there for his protégé at all times, even when he was with friends and family.

 

Taehyun just snorted at him and sat at the other edge of the table, where one of the housemaid had settled his breakfast. Minho saw him glancing at the other end of the table, where his father was. There were around seven meters of wood between them, and there was no one else at the table. Even Minho could tell it was lonely.

 

Taehyun had bed hair and the face of someone who had been thrown out of a peaceful sleep. He looked at the dishes in front of him and attempted a smile.

 

“French breakfast,” he noticed, looking up to see if his father was looking at him. He wasn't. “Where's mom?”

 

The old man flipped the pages of his newspaper. Taehyun couldn't see his face from there.

 

“She's abroad.”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter