Free Hugs

Free Hugs

Hey! Thought I should give a heads up. The story is written with both of their point of view so I separated them by name until they meet and then their POV's are both together. Hope it doesn't get confusing. Hope you like it! Happy Holidays! 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

It's cold outside. It usually is at this time of year, but his job is to be outside and brave the cold even if it’s to bring a little joy to people. Hongbin finishes his coffee and picks up his sign ready to work. He is not the only one outside. There are a few guys dressed as Santa Claus asking for money for different causes. Thankfully his cause didn't think it necessary for him to wear a fake white beard. He picked a spot in the middle of the plaza where a lot of people passed by, hands full with bags topped with presents for the holiday season. He takes a deep breath and raises his sign, "Free Hugs" it reads.

 

Yes, this is his job. Yes, he actually gets paid for doing it. He works for philanthropic giant company who joined hands with a non-profit organization. This campaign is called 'Embrace the World for Christmas' and he was hired to offer free hugs. Turns out that people would rather hug a good looking stranger than some short bald guy, who most people would scratch out as just a ert. Ah the irony of it all. So he stands here offering his bright smile for several hours a day. He likes his job but it can be overwhelming. You can have all sorts of people come by. The nice people, adorable kids, kids who are forced by their parents so they can post a video on Instagram, and people who smell like showers are optional in the winter. But the ones he really dislikes are those who think a free hug includes a free grab of his . Worst part is he can't really say anything about it.

 

Today he's already been here for 4 hours when he notices a group of guys laughing out loud looking his way. Great that's the last thing he needs. They start pushing one of they guys and can faintly hear a "Come on, you lost the bet", so the guy let out a loud sigh and starts walking slowly towards him.

 

The stranger is really tall, even a bit taller than him and that's saying something. He has black hair that contrast highly with his white skin. He is wearing a suit under his coat just like the rest of his buddies. He can't quite make out his face since his head is low, looking towards the ground. The stranger reaches him and true to his job Hongbin offers him a smile. The stranger looks serious and hesitant. The look in his eyes and quiet demeanor is a bit intimidating but Hongbin's smile doesn't falter. The stranger closes the distance and gives Hongbin a hug.

 

You know when they say when you are destined for someone your universe shifts? What a lot of bollocks isn’t it? Well his universe didn't shift but this hug felt somehow different. Maybe it was the warmness of the guy that was embracing him (who was taller and broader than himself) contrary to when Hongbin has to bend down to hug other people. Maybe it was his very nice smell that was making him a bit dizzy. Or maybe it was the intimidating way the guy looked at him before the hug. Maybe one of these things made the hug feel...different.

 

Leo

 

It hadn't been long since Leo started working in this new company. His job was one that required a lot of brain, energy and everyone was your competition. He worked buying and investing in stocks. His job was stressful and he made a lot of bets everyday. Sadly today he had made a bet he couldn't believe he lost. He was over confident in a stock and bragged to his work mates that he would get it but at the last minute he lost it. He was coming out of work with his friends now (that were more like his enemies) and they decided to give him a penance for losing the bet.

 

They decided he needed to hug a stranger. A fake Santa in the plaza would do. But the universe was playing one of its tricks and when they reached the town centre there was a guy holding a sign that read "Free Hugs". His friends started laughing. "Oh man this couldn't have turned out better!" Leo tried to wiggle himself out of the situation but they stood their ground. "Come on, you lost the bet." He was very competitive and always preferred to face things head on, even when he was utterly embarrassed.

 

He started walking towards the man offering the free hugs, his own eyes glued to the floor until he was just a few feet away. He looked up and the man gave him a charming smile. He was very good looking and nearly as tall as him. It was a relief that this man looked so friendly and nice (it was better than to hug a short bald guy or a smelly Santa) but also nerve wrecking since he was so good looking and his smile unfaltering. Leo closed the distance and wrapped his arms around the handsome man with the sign and it felt...nice. It felt really nice. Maybe it was because of the heartless people he always worked with and not being used to giving or getting hugs; or maybe it was just because of the cold weather but as soon as he let go of the warm embrace he wanted to get another hug. He restrained himself of course. He was a grown man after all and all his treacherous friends were looking so he simply walked back to them with his best poker face. Only there was an electric current going up and down his entire body and jitters were settling down in his stomach.

 

Hongbin

 

Hongbin finished his day at work. He stepped into a nearby pub to get a beer and a hot meal. The pub was highly decorated with garlands and a few Christmas trees here and there. Much to his surprise there was even a corner with mistletoe and a couple currently enjoying the benefits of the tradition. The place was usually filled with working men and women who were also tired of their long days.

 

You know when you have that strange feeling that someone is watching you? Yeah Hongbin felt that, but after looking around a few times he cast it as just his imagination after a tiring day.

 

Leo

 

In a corner table nearby, Leo noticed the handsome man who gave him a free hug having dinner on his own. The man didn't seem to notice him but Leo couldn't take his eyes away.

 

Hongbin

 

Hongbin often had different shifts and today he was working in the morning. A group of tourists mainly composed of ladies was congregated around him taking turns at getting their hugs while having their pictures taken; some of them hugging with more strength that they seemed to have. However this was all normal in a day's work. What didn't seem normal was the tall guy who approached him when the ladies had dispersed. He clearly remembered him from the day before, the one forced by his friends. Hongbin thought the man would say something but instead he approached him and gave him a hug. Just a hug. Well to be honest it didn't feel like just a hug. Like the day before his hug felt warm and yes, different. The stranger pulled away and kept walking. People usually gave him a shy smile or said a thank you, some even made small talk but this guy just walked away. It baffled Hongbin but then again he met all sorts of people at this job.

 

Leo

 

Leo couldn’t believe what he had just done. It wasn’t like him to do things on impulse but as he made his way to work he saw the man offering free hugs again. He was surrounded by a group of ladies but just when Leo was reaching the guy they left. It was as if a force pulled him to this guy. He just hugged him, just that. A simple hug but just like the day before it was warm and nice. Leo pulled away and kept going his way, not being able to utter a single word.

 

He kept kicking himself mentally on his way to work. Why had he done that? What if anybody saw him? He should definitely avoid that guy from now, just to be on the safe side.

 

Hongbin

 

Today was Saturday, a very busy day for business because everyone was out and about. His shift would be longer as well. By midday he had already hugged more people than what he normally would in a day. As he hugged a man with beautiful dark skin and a loud diva attitude he saw the tall stranger again. The guy was running and he had some of his hair sticking to his forehead. The guy noticed him and exchanged his run for a firm walk towards him. The tall guy had his gaze fixed on him. Hongbin felt a nervous pang in his stomach. He wasn’t sure if it was attraction or fear. 

 

The tall guy stopped a few feet away from him and Hongbin offered him a smile. The stranger closed the distance and for the third day in a row he hugged him.

 

 

This strange feat kept happening for the following days. The tall stranger came for his daily hug. His gaze still sent jitters to Hongbin and he had even started to expect him. It was weird; it was silly he often said to himself. However, there was something about this man that didn’t make him complain at work or call the cops. There was like a desperate need or longing in his embrace. And also, Hongbin secretly enjoyed hugging him back.

 

Leo

 

He should have his head checked. Leo often noticed the ‘hug guy’ eating in the pub where he and his friends had after work drinks. Today he had felt the urge of hugging the guy as soon as the other made his way in. He was acting like a stalker and a coward, and he was most definitely not a coward.

 

Leo waited for his co-workers to leave and he made his way to the bar where the other guy was sitting. He noticed Leo and smiled at him like he usually did.

 

“Hey, you are the hot guy; I mean hug guy!”

 

Hongbin laughed at Leo’s cute mistake.

 

“Yeah that works, or you could call me Hongbin.”

 

Hongbin extended his hand towards the other.

 

Leo shook his hand while introducing himself.

 

“I see you often. Do you work around here?”

 

Hongbin asked.

 

“Yes, at the stock market exchange.”

 

“Wow. That must be difficult.”

 

“Not as difficult as your job. You must see a lot of weird people?”

 

Leo was testing the water, trying to figure out what impression Hongbin had of him and his strange behaviour.

 

“Well it also has its perks.”

 

Hongbin offered one his most dashing smiles and Leo returned a shy one.

 

“Can I buy you a drink?”

 

Leo offered.

 

“Sure but I’m about to have dinner. Would you like to join me?”

 

A few minutes later they were sitting in a table together.

 

“So I guess you like hugs.”

 

Hongbin said and Leo was suddenly embarrassed and his head was so low that it was almost touching the table.

 

“No, no I’m just kidding. Sorry, it was just a joke.”

 

Hongbin quickly amended and reached for Leo’s arm.

 

Leo felt a jolt at Hongbin’s touch but it was also warm and reassuring. He dared to look up.

 

“So would you like to eat together sometime?”

 

Leo asked.

 

Hongbin looked down and laughed again. Their dinners had barely been touched but he understood what Leo meant. He is really cute when he’s nervous.

 

“Yes that would be nice.”

 

 

Hongbin had to do his job no matter what. He even had to hug a hobo once. He had a bunch of ladies surrounding him. It was the afternoon and they were part of a bachelorette entourage. As per usual with ladies they took their time taking pictures. And as he always did he kept smiling. But a real smile formed on his face when he saw Leo walking towards him. Leo had to wait a bit but as soon as one of the ladies moved away he found his way in the small crowd and got closer to Hongbin.

 

 

Leo smiled shyly as he embraced the other boy. This was his favorite moment of the day, feeling Hongbin between his arms. He lingered for a moment but since there was a crowd surrounding them he let go. Leo was holding a cup of coffee and he kept smiling as he put in Hongbin’s hands.

 

“It’s cold, you need to keep warm. Drink this and make sure to take care of your health.”

 

Leo looked straight at Hongbin’s eyes and then walked away. He could hear a few ‘aw that’s so sweet!’ from the ladies.

 

 

In the afternoon Hongbin finished with work and entered the pub. He laughed when he saw all the bartenders wearing Santa hats looking anything but jolly. Soon after he saw Leo standing near a table. A smile formed on his face as he made his way towards the taller.  

 

“Hi, I was hoping to see you here.”

 

Just then, with the worst timing in the world, Leo’s coworkers joined him, giving strange looks to Hongbin.

 

“Hey, isn’t this the guy that gives hugs in the plaza?”

“What are you doing with him Leo?”

 

Their tones were mocking and Hongbin hated that. He hated when people judged him without knowing him. He was also afraid he would be embarrassing Leo in front of his friends so he was quick to reply.

 

“Yes, that’s me. I was just asking for the time.”

 

“He’s with me. Why do you have a problem with that?”

 

Hongbin was surprised when he heard Leo speak and even more when he felt Leo take his hand.

 

“Why would you be with someone like him? Look at what he does all day. He is not up to our level.”

 

One of his coworkers said.

 

“He certainly works harder than you. And yes, you are right, he is not up to your level. He is higher than that.”

 

Leo, still holding Hongbin’s hand walked away from the pub.

 

 

Hongbin was speechless for a moment. Everything that Leo had said about him made him blush.

 

“I’m sorry you fought with your friends because of me.”

 

Leo stopped walking and looked at Hongbin putting his hands on the other’s shoulders.

 

“Don’t worry about it. They are a bunch of jerks and I was already tired of them. Although, I do have to thank them for making me hug you that first time. They made me a great favor.”

 

Hongbin didn’t usually felt shy with Leo but his words and Leo’s unwavering gaze made his heart shaken.

 

He felt as something cold touched his nose and then again. He looked up and saw little white fluff falling from the sky. It was the first snow of the year. His grandma always told him to make sure to be with someone he loved on the first snow and he was happy he was standing here with Leo.

 

“Do you want a free hug?”

 

Hongbin asked while extending his arms. Leo gave him a small smile but walked into Hongbin’s embrace.

 

“To bad there’s no mistletoe around.”

 

Hongbin joked boldly.

 

“We don’t really need that.”

 

Hongbin saw the fire of a challenge in Leo’s eyes for a split second and then saw as the other closed the distance between them. His heart started racing before he felt Leo’s lips on his own.

 

~ One Year Later ~

 

Hongbin was standing in front of the coffee shop as he looked around the plaza. Men dressed as Santa Claus asked for donations while others tried to earn some money while taking pictures with the people who were shopping for the holiday season. He wasn’t working offering free hugs this year, instead he had started working as a model and was signed by an agency. He was looking around when he felt someone hug him.

 

“Hey, I’m not giving free hugs anymore.”

 

“You can charge me whatever you want. You are worth it.”

 

Leo said as he gave Hongbin a quick kiss.

 

“Sorry, I got stuck at work a bit longer. Now, let’s go see those rings.”

 

“You know, you usually buy the ring before you propose, not after.”

 

Hongbin said, with a teasing smile on his face.

 

“I know, but I couldn’t help it. I was tired of waiting even if I didn’t have a ring yet.”

 

Leo lowered his head as he usually did when he was shy or embarrassed.

 

Hongbin smiled, he found that irresistible.

 

“I love you.”

 

Hongbin said to Leo, getting the other to look up. Leo smiled.

 

“I love you more.”

 

-End-