001

Jackson Wang's Misadventures in Love

He clicked “upload” and waited for the video to be posted. He texted his friend telling him to spread the word of his video message. It was too late for regrets. He was confessing to everyone on the Internet that he was desperately in love with Krystal Jung. He had seen her for the first time a year ago, when they were juniors, and he’s been obsessing over her ever since. She’d never really paid him any attention, but he’d never lost hope. He thought that if he did something worth her attention she would come to him naturally. But so far, he hasn’t done much other than trip whenever she was in close proximity to him.

Jackson sighed.

When he found out that she and Kai were a thing, he almost started crying. Jackson thought that maybe he had a chance with her after Krystal and Myungsoo broke up when he left for college. Jackson was even prepared to ask her to the dance and had the entire night planned out in his head. But at their schools pep assembly, Kai had the trumpet players accompany him as he danced (embarrassingly, Jackson thought) to Jason Derulo’s “Trumpets.” Personally, Jackson felt that he would have done a much better job, but despite what he thought, Krystal was wooed. All he could do homecoming night was sigh solemnly and drool over how beautiful she looked in her homecoming pictures.

However, because of this, Jackson realized that he had to do something drastic in order to get Krystal to fall for him; and in this day in age he figured a YouTube video would have to do it. Jackson wasn’t totally unpopular, quite the opposite actually, he had friends all over the place. But Krystal and her friends, they were an entire league above everyone else. The point is he had enough friends where he was certain his video would go viral at any given moment and his passionate love for Krystal Jung would be revealed.

Let’s just say that not everyone took his declaration of love well.

The next morning, Jackson woke up to numerous texts from his friends asking him what the hell was wrong with him. His brother in California had even gone out of his way to leave him three voice messages, two of which were just him laughing and in the last one he explained what a Jackson was. All of his social media sites were full of thousands of new followers, as well as comments such as “Is this for real?” “Do you need professional help?” and, “You are golden.” But Jackson didn’t really care what everyone was saying, as long as Krystal knew the way he felt about her. When his friend Mark pulled up his driveway, he wore a serious expression.

 “What?” Jackson asked and Mark shook his head.

 “Dude, why do you keep doing this? You just ruined any chance you had with Krystal.”

“And why do you say that?” Jackson pulled his seatbelt on and played around with the radio. Mark slapped his hand away and gave him a harsh glare.

“You acted like a baby in that video.” Mark stated and started the drive towards school.

“No, I didn’t.” Jackson whined and Mark scoffed.

“Really? Then what was with the crying?”

Jackson blushed a bit.

“My feelings took over and I couldn’t control them.” Mark shook his head.

“Well, let’s just hope that Kai hasn’t seen it.”

“Why?”

“Huh, let’s see, you said that he wasn’t worth Krystal’s time, that he wasn’t even that good looking, and that he looks like a ‘disoriented monkey’ when he dances. Not only that, but would you like it if someone admitted their love for your girlfriend to the Internet?”

Jackson thought for a second and shook his head.

“See, I doubt Kai will approve of you fantasizing over his lady.”

The rest of the drive was silent, well mostly silent. Mark thought back to the video on several occasions and cracked up. Jackson was just wondering what Krystal thought of it. When they finally got to school, Jackson was bombarded by hundreds of high school students wanting to let him know how stupid he looked when he cried, how desperate he was for Krystal, and a few girls who told him they thought it was sweet. Jackson ignored most of them, his eyes wandering through the sea of people in search of a certain brunette. Instead, his eyes met with a different brunette, this one much bigger, much taller, and much manlier than Krystal.

Kai.

Jackson swallowed, he will admit he was a little afraid; Kai had more muscles than he did, as expected from a football player. So he did the first thing that popped into his head. He ran to the cafeteria. There’s food and he’s away from Kai, it was a win-win situation. Well, he thought he was away from Kai. But someone sat down across from him and when Jackson tried to make another run for it, Kai grabbed his arm.

“Wait man, I just want to talk to you,” he said and Jackson hesitantly sat back down.

“Look, I know I confessed my love for your girlfriend, but I’m not apologizing for it. I am slightly sorry that I insulted you, but those were my personal opinions and I am not changing them.”

 Kai laughed.

“I wasn’t looking for an apology and I don’t really care what you think of me.” Kai paused and smiled. “Anyways, I get that you like her, who doesn’t? She’s a catch, I know that.”

Jackson stared at him, confused.

“Everyone is expecting me to be angry, but I’m not. I understand that you had to do that because of your feelings towards her. It was a bit startling when you cried,” Kai grimaced. “But it’s cool.”

Jackson swallowed. “Your point is?”

Kai chuckled.

My point is that it was very brave of you to confess your love for Krystal. Admirable, almost.”

Jackson grinned. “Thanks.”

Kai nodded and stood up to leave, but then turned to look at him one last time.

“Just make sure you don’t do it again,” he said in a threatening voice and Jackson’s fear returned.

“Y-yeah,” he stuttered and Kai smirked before walking off.

Jackson sighed, for a second there he thought Kai was going to pummel him to the ground or something.

“Dude,“ Mark stated and Jackson jumped. “I thought you were dead meat! What’d he say?”

Jackson shrugged.

“He told me he was cool with it as long as I didn’t do it again.”

Mark let out a shocked laugh.

“That’s unbelievable. Did he seriously say that? Man, people were betting on Kai either beating you up this morning or afterschool.”

“Yeah, well, unless he plans on catching me by surprise afterschool, I think everyone is keeping their money today.”

As the day dragged on, Jackson endured more teasing and people asking if Kai had really let it go. By the end of the school day he’d lost hope that Krystal would give him some attention. He was waiting outside of Mark’s car, for Mark, when someone tapped his shoulder and he pulled his earphones off, turning around.

“Oh my god,” he blurted and tripped even though he didn’t even move. “K-Krystal,” he gasped and she smiled slightly.

 “Jackson right?” he nodded. “I watched your video this morning and Kai told me he already talked to you so I didn’t have to, but I thought it would be rude not to come say anything. I mean, you did embarrass yourself for me.”

Jackson just stared at her, not understanding how a creature like her could exist.

“Kai’s over there,” she pointed behind herself and Kai threw Jackson a small wave as he leaned against his car.

Jackson just gave him a nervous nod.

“He said he wanted to make sure you didn’t ‘try anything funny’.” She rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Anyways, what you said about me in the video was very sweet. Uhm, you were very sincere,” she paused trying to figure out what else to say. “I think the tears really proved to me how deep your feelings were. Uh, why did you cry so much talking about my hair?” Jackson opened his mouth to speak but she waved him off, “Never mind, I don’t need to know. As sweet as your video was, I think you know that nothing will come out of it.”

“Actually,” Jackson interrupted, “all I wanted to do was let you know how I felt, so something did come out of this.”

Krystal smiled slightly.

“Alright, well I know now and so does the whole school. Just know that I’m with Kai and I may be a tad bit in love with him. It’s getting there anyways, I hardly think of anything that isn’t him.”

Jackson looked down at the ground glumly. “I understand.”

Krystal gave him an apologetic smile and looked over her shoulder to give Kai one as well.

“Before I go,” she said and grabbed Jackson’s face, she leaned in and pecked his cheek, laughing as she watched him go red. “I’ll see you around.” she said and walked back to Kai who was frowning.

“Why did you do that?” Kai asked when she reached his car.

She shrugged and grabbed his hand.

“He publicly humiliated himself because of me, he deserved something.”

“Yeah, well, I think you broke him.”

Krystal looked towards Jackson and saw him still standing there. She laughed and Kai opened the car door for her. When they were both inside he turned to look at her.

“Want to get ice cream?” Kai asked and her face brightened.

“You know I always want ice cream!”

He laughed and drove off.

Jackson was still in the same position when Mark walked up to him.

“What’s up, man? You know my car was unlocked right?”

Jackson snapped out of his frozen state.

“Krystal Jung just kissed my cheek.”

Mark frowned. “What?”

“She kissed my cheek,” he repeated and they both got inside the car.

“I don’t believe you.” Mark said and started his car. “Oh hey,” he pointed somewhere and Jackson barely glanced at it. “She’s the new girl, her name is Suzy.”

Jackson looked again and his heart stopped.

“I’m in love with her,” he stated and kept watching the girl until she got inside her car.

Mark just sighed. “Here we go again.”

24 hours ago

“Hey guys, my name is Jackson Wang and I have a confession to make.” Jackson paused and took a deep breath. “I’m in love with Krystal Jung,” he said, looking solemnly at the camera. “Honestly, who isn’t in love with Krystal Jung? If you aren’t, there is something seriously wrong with you because she is five feet and five inches of perfection. I don’t even know where to start explaining just how perfect she is. Every time she smiles it’s like a million little puppies are running towards you. Her eyes,” he paused and looked confused for a moment. “Actually, I’ve never looked directly at them.” He rubbed his neck awkwardly and then shook his head, smiling. “But I know that they happen to be the most spectacular shade of brown. She just has the face of an angel.” Jackson sighed dreamily. “And, and her hair. Oh god, her hair.” He covered his face with his hands. “It goes all the way down to the middle of her back and is another beautiful shade of brown.” He removed his hands from his face and looked directly into the camera. Tears were starting to form and he couldn’t do anything to stop them; Krystal Jung did things to him. “I got to feel it once,” he sobbed. “Well, my face got to feel it once. I was walking behind her in the hallway trying to smell her and when she turned, her hair hit my face. It was amazing!” he cried. “It didn’t even hurt! Her hair is softer than feathers.” It took Jackson awhile, but he was finally able to control himself and had managed to reduce his wailing to soft sobs. “Krystal, you are the love of my life. Kai so does not deserve you.” He said angrily. “I mean, why are you wasting your time on him? Sure he’s tall and has nice shoulders, and yeah, he’s naturally tan with an all right bone structure, but he’s not me. He’s not even that good looking; his right eye is slightly smaller than his left!” Jackson exclaimed. “Not even his kissable lips can make up for that. Also, I can dance a hundred times better than him! He looked like a disoriented monkey at the pep assembly last semester!” He groaned and pulled on his hair. “Krystal, if you’re watching this I want you to know that I am totally obsessed with everything about you. If you were mine, I would hug you every single day and I would braid you hair for you and I would give you chocolates and I would protect you from everything! Like that step you tripped on yesterday when you were running late to class,” Jackson’s eyes darkened and he intensely stared at the camera. “I would annihilate that step for you.” Then his facial features shifted and he put on a bright smile. “I love you Krystal Jung and if you would just give me a chance, I know I'd make you happy!”

And with that, Jackson stopped recording.