In The Night

In The Night

Her soft breaths were the only audible noise in the dark; even the echo of her delicate footsteps was absorbed by the damp walls. Water leaked in periodic rhythms as the rain poured down incessantly onto the worn wood roofing. A curse escaped under her breath as the ground slipped beneath her feet. Almost there. She could see the heavenly light in the corner of her vision. It was so tangible, yet so out of reach.

 

Her heart yearned for the small scrap of freedom offered, that same voice repeating itself within her subconscious like a scratched gramophone record. He urged her to go on, enticing her with promises of freedom from the chains that pressed constantly against her body, binding her to the inescapable nightmare of the life she lived. His voice chanted louder with every moment that passed, and she dropped to her knees. Her thin jeans tore against the harsh flooring, the delicate skin of her kneecaps turning slightly pink with the friction. Her hands came up to cover her ears, as if such a simple action could mute the persistent nagging in her head.

 

She knew better; she must go on. She rose up from her vulnerable position upon trembling legs, and continued her seemingly endless journey. She reached a wooden plank, and she let out a gasp of surprise when a foudroyant flash of lightning pierced her gaze.

“You promised… I have fulfilled your requests…” Her voice was barely audible under the cacophony of the violent wind, rain and thunder.

 

Her thin hair whipped over her face in a disarray of dark brown locks. A shiver ran down her spine when a crack of lightning illuminated the dark sky. A bitter chuckle escaped her chapped lips as she came to terms with her disappointment. “Haha, of course your words were just empty promises! Who am I kidding, even the devil is not as demented as I am!” She screamed. She spun in wide circle, feeling the droplets splatter and roll off her bare arms. She flung off her thin wind-beater, the material falling to the ground in a dejected lump.

 

Her tears became one with the rain as she carelessly danced away to her heart’s content. The chains in her chest loosened, and her heart felt less constricted with every moment that passed. Finally, when her limbs crumbled under her from the fatigue, she collapsed to the cold asphalt. She tilted her head up, feeling the cooling rain decorate her face.

 

“It seems that you have found your own solutions” That all-too-familiar voice sounded behind her.

 

“I’m afraid it’s only temporary.” She sighed, not bothering to face him. She sensed his presence approach her as his feet splashed in the small puddles spotting the street.

 

“Is that so?” He questioned.

 

“You know it is true; If it were not, would I be here right now?” She answered monotonously. When she heard no response from him, she continued to speak. “You and I both know that there is only one solution to this.”

 

“And what may that be, love?” He asked innocently. His tone was practically dripping with the pragmatic tone.

 

“Don’t play those wretched games with me right now.” She whipped around, her calm facade diminished. “You are the cause of my pain, and you are the only one who can take it away as well.” She stalked towards him, roughly grabbing him by the collar. The brown strands of his hair stuck to his forehead, water running down them and dripping onto the fabric of her own clothes. He gently placed his bronzed hands on her’s, and removed her grip from his collar. The muscles in her wrist slackened, and her hands lazily ran down his chest as she looked down at her drenched clothes. “Please...It’s not worth it anymore.” Her voice shook with the last word.

 

“What makes you think that I can help you with this?” He murmured.

 

“Take me with you. We can end it all. Right here, right now.” She pleaded desperately.

 

“What is the source of the motivation you have to do such things?” He backed away slightly.

 

“Nobody understands, what’s the point of continuing this pathetic joke of a life?” She sobbed, avoiding his penetrating gaze. “How could you do this…”

 

“Darling, stop this. Such a beautiful face shouldn’t be ridden with so many tears”. He chided, his hands coming up to cup her face. His thumb brushed over the sensitive skin under her eyes, wiping away the remaining tears.

 

He leaned forward and their eyes met for a brief moment. She sank into his deep orbs, before feeling the light pressure on her lips as he sealed the gap between them. When he pulled away, she buried her face in the crook of his neck.

 

“If you want to escape, you have to be willing to make sacrifices. Even if that means forgetting about me.” He murmured, running his fingers through her hair.

 

~~

 

She awoke with a start, her breaths coming out as erratic gasps. Everything, white. The walls, the bed, the dresser, the floor. The jail-like room was a clear representation of her curse. Her eyes were immediately directed at the dresser. Like usual, it sat there awfully lacking of any decoration. Or so she thought. A thin sheet rested on the white piece of furniture. She hesitantly flipped it over, and she felt the back of her eyes burning with tears threatening to spill out.

 

There he stood, in the pouring rain. His gaze seemed to connect with her eyes directly, and the memories of the previous night came flowing back. In his right hand, he held small black jacket, water running off of it and falling to the ground. She slammed the picture back onto the table, not wanting to look at him anymore. She leaned back on the bed, and closed her eyes. His scent still lingered in the air, as well as his strong presence. “I need to get out” She whispered desperately. “I’m not crazy, i’m not crazy!” She screamed at the camera in corner of the room.

 

In that moment, the door creaked open slowly, revealing somebody clad in a white coat and blue scrubs. Taking her chance, she shoved past them, completely disregarding their calls. She flew past the endless row of white doors. The various screams and cries of those imprisoned rang in her ears, as they also sought refuge from their pain. Several people tried to grab her and pull her back, but she fought back viciously. Finally, she was able to push past the heavy doors, and into the fresh air.

 

The mundane sounds of traffic and the lively chatter of civilians entered her ears with delight. She was free at last, but there was one thing she had to do before she could continue. She jogged down the street until she reached a stone arch leading into large plot of land. The numerous lost souls lay in rest beneath the skin of the earth; some wearing tributes, while others lay void of any appreciation.

 

Finding the one she desired, she rested on her knees before him. His last words were still echoing in her mind, like a ghost haunting her soul. He was long gone, yet he continued to haunt her with a curse. She had to escape. She had to be her own saviour for once.

 

Even if it meant forgetting about him.

 

"Goodbye, my dear Jongin."