BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Darkest Hours

Gender inequality is so common in Korea that is started to become a tradition that every five years, girls would be participating in The Selection. Despite its fanciful name, The Selection is an elimination method that the government uses to separate weaklings from the stronger ones. Those stronger girls will be chosen by gangs and groomed into a whole new person. The girls who are not chosen or failed the tests and interview round would be exiled to the countrysides to do labor work. Since their parents are too embarrassed to take them back in, and no one wants them, the government thought the best choice is to have them be sent away. Girls from a young age were forced to attend 'YoungHwa Girls' School' which specializes in preparing the girls for The Selection. This year, there will once again be a selection ceremony so all the girls from YoungHwa Girls' School will go through a series of interviews and tests before being eligible to participate in The Selection. If any girls failed the tests or interviews, they will not be given another chance. Ranking in school is a common tradition. The upper-rank girls usually excel academically or have special talents while the lower rank girls are not exactly excelling academically or possess any special talent.

 

As for males, they would have to go through five years of army training before the government sorts them into groups. These 'groups' are known as gangs. Each of the gangs starts out as newbies before they move up the ranks depending on the assets they have or the number of contributions the gang has given to the gang society. There are four main rankings of the gangs. They are Elite, Upper, Middle and Lower. Elite gangs are the ones at the top of the society, known for their brutality and assets. Upper gangs are slightly weaker than Elite gangs but over the years, the gap between Elite and Upper gangs is increasing. Middle gangs are gangs that joined quite a while back but are not financially strong and usually consists of punks. The lower gang are newbies who just entered the gang society, with absolutely nothing. Despite the difference in positions, all of the gangs are allowed to attend The Selection and choose a girl to be their companion. 

 

Usually, the night before selection day, the girls are to head over to YoungHwa Girls' School to stay for the night before being brought over to the national stadium the next day where the major event would be held. During this period, girls would try to get each other into trouble by framing or accusing each other of stealing or cheating so in order to prevent all the drama, the girls are each allocated a room. In the room, they would have a personal maid to assist them in getting ready for their big day and this also prevents any accusations of stealing or cheating from occurring. During times like this, every single movement only causes the tension to deepen. 

 

___________________________________________________________

Author's Note: 

Here's the background information to help you better understand the story. I apologise in advance if there is any errors or grammatical errors that I have made because I did not have enough time to proofread it.  Please remember to subscribe to the story and upvote if you like the story!