Prologue

Between Light and Dark

Prologue. 

You've probably been told there are only two definite events that will take place in your lifetime. You will be born and you will die. It was inevitable as it was the human state to eventually deteriorate and die. You've probably been told that death is where the road ends for you. 

But this is not true. 

You will be born and you will die at some point too. But you will also be re-born. In the next life your soul will return to a new body with no recollection of its past life. A new and fresh start, completely different from what was there to begin with. It can happen to anyone when they die, if their soul isn't damned or purified, signifying going to heaven or hell. It is the people in between pure and corrupted that live more then one life. Forced to be re-born and forget everything they were. It's almost cruel in a way. 

They would never find out who they were, never know what they had accomplished or who they had loved previously. And everything was in balance for many ages. But it was not meant to stay that way. 

For one day a poor fool found himself on the brink of death, dying on a lonely countryside road in the middle of nowhere, having been beaten and cut for his horse and rations. In his desperation, he called out to anyone that would listen, to God, to an angel and even to the devil himself. But his cries were ignored by all. All but one. 

Wind swirled all around the man who weakly covered his torso as his clothes were dyed crimson with his own blood. The whipping of the trees and the sudden cold chill made the man snap his eyes open from where he'd been drifting into the black abyss of eternal sleep. 

A lone figure appeared from the thickening fog, what you could hardly call a man stepped into the limited light that surrounded the man. His hair was a wild blonde hue like the man had never seen before and he had strange pieces of metal stuck through his ears on either side, as well as drawings on his skin that made him seem all the more intimidating. His eyes were sharp, though his grin was even sharper as it pierced into the dying mans soul before the man let his tongue whip out to his lips. 

It was some act of kindness, at first is what the man thought. God had sent someone to save him. But this was quickly proven wrong when the man heard what the abnormal looking man had to say. 

"A cry of fear and desperation reached my ears from my dwelling. How quaint that a human in his last minutes would call out for a demons mercy." the boy crouched down to the human and scowled in disgust at the wretched scent of pure humanity that he wreaked of. "For what could you a lowly human offer a Prince of Hell?" he asked, red eyes swirling as the delicious scent of fear reached his nose.

 The man seemed to stare at him at first and the blonde haired man grew impatient and stood straightening his floor length black coat that made him look like a noble. "Wretched scum wasting my time..." he muttered before there was a cry of protest from the man. 

"P-please wait!!" he heard the hoarse voice cry as the weak creature attempted not to choke on his own blood. The stranger paused and looked back at the man over his shoulder. "I'll...I'll give y-you anything you d-desire...in exchange for my life..." the man mumbled. 

He could not see it, but a sinister smirk crossed the demons face as he turned back to the withering human. "Anything?" he asked, a new glint in his eye that hadn't been there before. The demon grinned and sat with his legs crossed besides the man who arched up in pain, pressing down harder on his wound. "You realise that you cannot undo this deal?" the young demon said, eyes seeing right through the man and to his soul. It seemed so bright. So delectable. 

The man nodded and almost cried out when the bright blonde haired man leaned in closer, grinning like a cheshire cat that had just got it's cream. "I want your soul." the words sent a shock through the brown haired man and his eyes widened significantly as he stared up at the demon. He could feel his heart hammering as he bled out and tried to think logically. 

But of course in the end, the pure need for survival took over where he stiffly nodded and sealed his fate as he bound his soul to the demon before him. 

A deal was forged between the demon and the peasant, that when the human died, the demon may take his soul to do with as he wished. The only rule was that the demon himself was not to in anyway try to shorten or lengthen the human's life span. 

As the deal was made, the human was healed of his fatal injuries giving him a second chance at life. "Remeber human, I will be your end, Ravi the first prince of hell." The demon merely watched the man walk quickly away from him, not answeing his warning before deciding he would watch the man, until his final minutes came for a second time. 

Ravi found that the man had a family. A wife that was heavily pregnant and a young boy. So he stayed and watched over the family. Watched as the boy grew and the family got bigger.

He watched, for 10 whole years. Until the day he'd been waiting for finally came. 

The man, now slightly grey with age lay on his death bed suffering from a disease that run rampant in their insignificant village. He was alone, his family not being able to bear the sight of him so weak. Over the years Ravi had learnt his name was Sung-Min and resorted to referring to him as such because 'man' got annoying. 

Ravi decided that he was by far ready to take his prize. Before the most unexpected thing happened. The pureness of  Sung-min's soul had attracted a being of light, an angel as he laid weak and dying alone. The man with wings stared fondly at the him as he finally took his last shuddering breath and took pity on him. 

Ravi could only stare in disbelief as the soul he had been promised, was being reaped by the angel and bit back a growl at the sight. He didn't want to be discovered in the human realm, since an angel would surely try to kill a prince of hell without hesitation especially considering how close the two races were to a war right now. 

Before the demon could blink, the angel was gone along with the soul he'd been waiting 10 long years to collect. Although it had felt like nothing to him, he felt annoyed that he'd been cheated. 

He'd walked over to the mans body and felt his eyes narrow into dangerous red slits at the sight of the dead human without a soul for him to take for himself. Even though he couldn't of predicted that an angel would take his soul before he could, he felt as if this was going to happen from the moment the man made the deal with him. 

"Father...?" a smooth voice entered the room as the door to the demons right creaked open. The demons head turned and he let his eyes wonder over the form of a young man, the same young man he'd watched age from the age of 9. He had to be at least 19 now. 

As the demon expected there was a big commotion after that of the 19 year old running and trying to awaken his father before realising it was too late. Of course the young man couldn't see the prince of hell, no human could unless Ravi granted them the sight, like he had the boys father in order to make the deal. 

Ravi continued eying the younger man before an idea popped into his head and his smirk grew wider. He still had the right to collect a soul, and from what he could see with his own sight, the boys souls was fresh and new. This was his first life, the soul was similar to it's fathers, enough so that Ravi could accomplish his new challenge. However, the strangest and most enticing thing about the mans soul was that it bore the mark of an angel. He just couldn't pass up a chance like this. 

It may be bending the rules a little bit but who was going to stop him? He reached out carefully and touched the boys head as he rested it against the lifeless corpse on the bed, mourning and fisted the brown hair, making him face the demon. 

"There is a debt for a pure soul that your father neglected to pay. The responsibility falls to you." Ravi watched in glee as the young males eyes widened in shock as he stared into Ravi's red eyes, paralysed in fear. Ravi pulled the man closer. "Your soul is mine to claim human..." he said, almost growling as sense seemed to return to the brunette and he struggled futilely. 

Ravi laughed and dragged the struggling human to his feet, inches from his face. "You belong to me now." he whispered, almost gently however the possessiveness was clear in his tone. 

Ravi smashed his lips against the now whimpering human and suppressed his smirk as the struggles got weaker and weaker, until the brunette grew limp in the demons arms. 

Ravi watched, fascinated by the beauty of death taking ahold of the human due to the deadly kiss they both shared and felt a fondness for the light in the boys eyes that died slowly. 

When life had left the humans eyes, Ravi hummed in delight as his soul became ready for reaping. He worked quickly muttering things in a language unknown to any living creature and finally took his prize. The glittering white soul, so young and fragile. 

Before he left the sad little house, his eyes found the lifeless ones of the brunette boy. He wasn't sure what compelled him to but the demon closed his eyes gently before leaving him in his place on the hard floor. 

Ravi escaped the dainty old house and disappeared into a thick fog, a smirk present on his face as he held the soul in his hand, encircling it in a thorny cage, leaving his mark on it.  "The deal is done..." 

----------------------

"And so the son of the fool took his fathers place and lost his soul to the demon. Now can anyone tell me the importance behind this story? Ah Sanghyuk?" the bulky teacher asked glancing at the tall blonde boy. 

Hyuk seemed to blink and rub the back if his head awkwardly. "Uh....that fathers hate their sons...?" he asked, hearing the many snickers from around him. 

The teacher rolled her eyes behind her golden spectacles and looked around the class again. "How about you Mr Cha? What do you think?" 

A boy shifted his gaze from the trees and mountains in the far distance back into the classroom and and sighed, running a hand through his vibrant red hair. 

"The legend is to warn people of the dangers of making a deal with the devil, to show that even the purest of souls can be tainted by darkness.  That a deal made so quickly can be dangerous." the boy replied, resulting in a few whispers and sighs of delight from girls that swooned at his interpretation. 

Before the teacher could comment the final bell rang, signalling the end of the day and the start of the summer vacation. 

Though it was the start of something much more significant. It was the beginning of a chain of events that would change everything.

And Cha Hakyeon was the trigger.