Shark in the Water

Temporarily Yes

Looking with Jongup involves a lot of speed walking, hopping to catch a glimpse of high windows, and constant head turns like a squirrel scanning for possible predators or nuts. Whatever the obstacle may be, I try to keep up behind him as we walk down the blocks against the current of party goers heading upstream. Thank God for his pink hair or I would've been beyond lost.

We've been walking for awhile now and I'm sure we're not even remotely close to the restaurant anymore. Thus, I make an effort to tap Jongup's shoulder since he doesn't seem to notice.

"Jongupsshi-- Shouldn't we go back?" He doesn't turn around to reply to me, but he grabs my hand and pulls me next to him. 

"You're probably right" he smiles and twirls me around like a tango instructor before we switch our gears and head north. We fall back into the same searching style Jongup seems to grow accostumed to and the streets seem further and even more daunting than I remember. It doesn't take long for my feet to feel constricted against my sneakers and the skin brushing harshly against the material.

"Do you like to dance?" Jongup asks, turning his head around and wiggling his brows at me. Not in pink in color, but still as quirky as the locks of hair on his head.

"Right now?" I ask confused, but Jongup doesn't take my hesitation as a no and grabs my hand to twirl me. I spin with the cold air dancing against my face and our hands meet as we stand upright facing each other.

"Walking can be so boring" he says with a grin and he leads me to the right. Jongup moves in long and precise strides with his feet lightly gracing the sidewalk. I merely emulate the same sensuality and try to match his lengthy steps. I'm spinning again this time going forward and I fall into his arms as we reach the end of the street. My back against his chest, right hand up and both our left hands on my hips.

"Soo Hae?!" I open my eyes not realizing I even closed them at the familiarity of the loud and accusatory voice calling out my name. I make eye contact of the owner of the said voice and let go of Jongup as quickly as possible. Oh god.

"Yah! Shouldn't you be home? Why are you dancing in the middle of the street?" the said owner asks again approaching us and her friends follow behind. I feel my cheeks burn and my brain scrambles for a possible answer.

 "Uhh---I'm helping a friend here...Unnie---" I offer a meek smile and Jongup bows at my sister and her friends.

"You have friends?" My sister blurts out most likely not intending to sound as sarcastic and twisted as she does and I just nod my head looking at no one in particular.

"Clearly so...Unnie" I reply trying not to sound too affected because this is the sad reality of having an older sister. I guess you can say she has an aggressive approach embedded in her evily arched brows and blaring and denunciatory voice. But she's not nearly as mean as she seems. Maybe only the first few conversations...

"Where's Junhong? Aren't you two attached to the hip or something? But that wouldn't really apply since he's like a giant compared to you..." her voice trails off and her friends look around, while one gives her a particular knowing look. Probably to dial down the bluntness.  "What? I'm just asking a question" she defends and I just smile at her friend knowing it's probably the truth.

"A giant to everyone really" Jongup speaks up and my sister pauses before her gaze softens and she smiles...a little too widely to qualify as innocent, but I shrug it off. It's not good to dwell on my sister's ideas.

"You're right about that one. Well, I'll just leave you two... to whatever it is you're doing and don't stay out here too late! Mom's gonna worry!" she locks gazes with me and I nod. 

"You too Unnie!" I yell as she walks away raising her hand up to say bye. I take a breath and a sigh of relief welcomes me. 

"I guess you're more accustomed to Himchan than I imagined" Jongup speaks up again and the embarrassment rings in my head.

"Yeah...Sorry about that. She's...just like that" I try to explain and Jongup just nods.

"Doesn't bother me...but you know you were pretty decent with the dancing earlier~" he adds as we fall back into step towards the restaurant.

"Decent? Hm...you're just being nice! I usually try to keep up with the lead. Junhong's the one that's good~" I ramble off not feeling worthy of such a compliment. Any compliment really when it comes to dancing.

"Junhong dances too?" Jongup beams eyes disappearing into happy mountain outlines. 

"Yeah~ We both had to in secondary school, but he was actually really good, so he stayed with it and became pro...ish" I explain as we keep our eyes on the people walking up and down the streets. Some black haired fellows, others with multiple variations of brown and reds, and some even sporting the pastel colors from violets to pink. Jongup really blends with the crowd here. 

"What about you? If he stayed with it, then what did you do?" Jongup presses and I bite my lips knowing how this will go.

"Uh...Actually--"

Let me sit this assssssssssssssssss on you~ Show you how I feel~

"Sorry I have to pick this up-" Jongup takes out his phone and his whole being lightens upon hearing the reply on the other line. A teasing voice takes over Jongup's usual quiet demeanor and he's lightly tapping his foot while swaying his head from left to right. I guess Himchan's not the only one with a special someone.

"Yeah...I'm sorry. I just---Will you be okay?---No, no you're not a kid--Okay. Call me if anything alright? Okay. Bye~" Jongup ends the call and smiles before he puts his phone back into his pocket.

"Hey, Sorry about that!" Jongup says approaching me and we walk side by side again.

"No it's okay. It seemed important" I say not really knowing if Jongup is straight or gay like Himchan and I don't want to be rude about it either.

"Oh----" Jongup laughs before he continues. "That was just Namjoo!" he shakes his head, but the smile that is constantly on his face says otherwise. 

"Well just Namjoo has got you smiling since you spoke to her on the phone..." I try not to tease, but the disbelief in his eyes and abrupt pause in his steps makes it hard not to. So easy to tease just like Junhong.

"I'm always smiling!...and well she's my dancing partner, so I don't know. I just get really bouncy when she's around" he explains foot steps quickening.

"Right...Although she's technically not here--" I bring it into light and he looks at me like I'm the one that has pink hair and trying really hard to deny how I feel about a certain dance partner. He bites his buttom lip and looks down on the ground with his eyes deep in thought.

"Does it really seem that way?" he whispers probably not meaning to say that outloud, but I hear him loud and clear.

"Kinda...I mean your ringtone for her is Rocket...That song's pretty self-explanatory..."

"Oh noooo! I uh... I kinda lost a bet to Youngjae-hyung...well more like he wouldn't leave me alone until I lost on purpose. He's a soreloser and this was the punishment.." Jongup explains.

"Dayum. Does she know?" 

"Yeah..."

"Oh...That's bad..."

"You would think so, but as soon as she heard it she just laughed. And on our way home from practice, she grabbed me out of nowhere to make a choreo for it" Jongup says shaking his head at the thought.

"Much like you just pulled me to dance in the middle of the street?" I grin at him and he nods, a spark in his eyes.

"Yeah...something like that..." Jongup stays quiet for a while and I'm beginning to think I may have crossed the line. Our steps get slower as we walk, but they buildings are finally looking familiar. We cross the street in silence and I'm happy Jongup's not too hung up on what I said that he's still looking at the streetlights. What should I say? Maybe start out with an apology? I just met them today too and I'm already messing up.

"I'm---"

"Hey would you mind if I go to the studio?" Jongup blurts out and I look at him. "Wait no. I'm sorry. Forget I said that" he interrupts me before I can reply and fasten his pace.

"You want to meet Namjoo right?" I ask trying not to sound too eager.

"Well, no... More like verify things...but I also don't want to leave you here by yourself" Jongup sticks to me.

"I'm 22. I think I can manage" I defend, but Jongup doesn't leave.

"And we still have to find Himchan-hyung" Jongup reasons.

"We're all helping for the cause. I'm sure one of us will find him soon~"

"Still not gonna leave you in the middle of our search party" Jongup finalizes and I take my phone out. He looks at me confused, until I hit call and slip the phone against my ears.

"Junhongggggg!"

"Noona~ Wow! I was just about to call you!" Junhong replies excitement in his voice.

"Really? Why? Did you guys find Himchan?" Please say yes Please say yes!

"Ne~~ Youngjae got a call from Himchan's namchin(boyfriend) and he found him!" 

"Wahhh! That's great!" I exclaim giving Jongup a thumbs up and those mountain outlines come out again. 

"Yeah~ I think they're sorting out their issue right now"

"Oh, okay. That's great!"

"Yeahh~ but noona where are you guys?"

"Huh? Oh, We're still heading back. How about you?" I reply and notice Jongup on his phone, too. Probably still contemplating about the whole Namjoo issue. He should just text her and see if she's still there. Then, maybe they can dance together and stuff... ;D

"Noona is that okay?" Junhong ask on the other line and I bring my focus back to our conversation. 

"Huh? Yeahhhh sure~" I respond with fake enthusiam, not admitting that I wasn't listening because then Junhong would just complain and call me out, which is not true... for the most part. I mean I do listen to him, but sometimes I just get lost in my own thoughts... Besides, he's probably headed home anyway, so no harm no foul. :D

"Okay! Daehyunah says hi and I'll meet you at the park in a bit then~" Junhong says excitedly and hangs up the phone before I can take it back and ask him what's going on. Daehyunah? They got close fast, but wait what just happened.

"Hey, you okay?" Jongup asks and I jump...a little. 

"Totes! Are you going to go see Namjoo?" I ask wiggling my brows at him to change the subject and I can see his ears turn red.  I should probably stop teasing him.

"Haha..........yeah" Jongup resigns and shrugs his shoulders like it's no big deal. I smile at him and take his hand this time.

"Gaja(Let's go)! Is it far from here? Can we take the train?" I ramble and Jongup laughs before leading me to the train because I clearly have no idea where I am, but Jongup does and thank god he does. We take the same train albeit Jongup leaving in like 2 stops and I ride it all the way to Junhong's apartment. All in a day's work. I keep in mind as I put my headphones on and mentally wish Jongup good luck again.

 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

 

It takes about 20 minutes when I get to Junhong's stop and get off the train. I look at my watch to check the time and see that it's almost 12 am. OMG. My mom! I hurriedly take my phone out and make my way out of the station and into the sidewalk.

RING~

RING~

RING~

RING~

"Eomma(mom)~"

"Yoon SooHae, where are you?" I can hear my mom's unamused tone through the phone and can already picture her reading glasses falling on the bridge of her nose as she drops her nightly book down on the nightstand. She's probably sitting up with the lamp beside her bed on and my dad snoring next to her. Heavy sleeping runs in the family.

"I'm I'm at Junhong's eomma~" I say hoping the sounds of the cars are muffled through the phone line and quicken my pace to Junhong's building.

"Really? It sounds like you're out on the streets" my mom asks jokingly, not realizing she's spot on.

"Huh? Oh no. Sorry. We were watching a movie and I didn't realize the time" I reason lamely stating half the truth, so I'm not completely lying...

"SooHae, you know your father and I work really hard to put you and your sisters through University and I don't want you falling behind and wasting our and your own efforts to get this far"

"I know mom, and you know me... I wouldn't" I slump my shoulders at the same lecture I hear every late night call. 

"Ara (I know). I just want to remind you the stakes here..." my mom pauses and it dawns on me again how much I can't mess this year up or my whole college carrier for that matter. We stay quiet for awhile and I try not to think of the heavy weight my parents had to take on these past years. My grandma's gambling problem still unfixed, my uncle's lawsuit that made him lose his livelihood, reputation, house, and family, and my aunt who's married to a jobless ex-druggie guy. 

"Are you gonna stay at Junhong's?" my mom changes the subject like we didn't just get serious earlier. I look up and see Junhong's building drawing closer as I reach the end of the street.

"Yeah, I think I have some clothes left over from last time" I answer and my mom gives in.

"Okay. But I expect you to be home tomorrow and feed Junhongie a good breakfast will you? His mom worries he just leaves home without it" My mom instructs and it scares me how well they can read Junhong.

"Ne~~ Good night eomma~" I say and she bids her farwell before I end the call. I put my phone in my pocket and make my way to the end of Junhong's block where the slides and friendly exercise machines are. The black gate and the trees cover the small park and I peep through the space in between to see if Junhong's there. No signs of Junhong, but I do hear hushed voices by the swings. I walk a little further down to get a better angle and see two dark haired figures one on the other's lap. I gulp and turn away as one of the figures presses his head on the other's neck. Okay. The park may not have been the best place to meet at this time. I mentally note before walking back to the building's entrance.

"Hyunnnnnggggggg~" A whine echoes and I stop in my tracks at the familiarity of the voice. Why do I know that voice? I rake my brain for an answer, but nothing clicks. I shake the thought away deeming it none of my business when another sound comes from the swings.

"Yah! You can't just kiss me and pretend like you didn't just ruin our first year anniversary!" a sassy voice yells followed by a loud hmph. I peek through the gate despite my better judgment and gasp at the sight of Himchan on someone's lap. Okay, Himchan and his boyfriend are definitely sorting through their issues.

I take one last look curious to put a face to the label and take a step back upon seeing the one face I was trying to avoid the whole day. I freeze when the same half opened eyes, messy hair, and pale complexion I regrettably encountered this morning pouts at Himchan wrapping him in a tight embrace. Half man! Himchan is going out with half freaking man! Of course he is! I need to get outta here. I panick, turning my body too early than I intended and trip on my own foot. I fall on my knees and close my eyes while I try to muffle a cry. This is what I get for being nosy! I mentally curse and hear the playful banter in the park stop. Oh no!!!

"Who's there?" the deep voice from this morning barks and I stay down despite the sharp pain on my knees brushing against my jeans. I quietly move further down, so I'm away from their line of sight.

"I don't see anyone Nammie" Himchan's voice says in a hushed tone and I take a deep breath relieved that they didn't see me. I sit down awkwardly stretching my legs out so the material doesn't rub on my knees and lean in closer to the gates to see if they've made any movements. Both of them are standing now probably startled by the rude interruption aka me being a total idiot.

"Miss, shouldn't you know better than to peep at people?" I jump and my heart leaps out of my chest to the sound of someone whispering into my ear. Please be Junhong. Please be Junhong. I pray to all the gods in the heavens to grant me this one wish and my jaw arguably drops to the floor as I turn my head and the same features kissing Himchan on the swings stare at me square in the face. Woahhhh whaaaattt?! I stay frozen, on the sidewalk, and hands on my thighs as I fail to stop staring and close my damn mouth at the figure squatting behind me. 

"I didn't mean to scare you and I'm sorry for that, but I don't think it's right for you to look at other people like that--" half man number 2 mumbles on about morality, while my brain bugs out on me and I wish I could excuse it all for being drunk, but we only had three shots and that was hours ago.

"Hey, can you talk to me--" he whispers again and I just stare at him not knowing what the to do. He sighs disrguntled by the situation he created and pokes my shoulder. 

"Nammie, I think we should just leave" Himchan says and now it's half man number 2 or whoever the hell he is' turn to peep in between the gates like he didn't just lecture me on principles.

I finally have the guts to move and get myself up when half man number 2's attention isn't focused on me. I try not to make any noise as I squat and move forward when I mistakenly take a quick glance at half man number 2 completely stumped on the floor. Is he seeing the similarity between him and that guy too? Are they like long lost twins separated by birth?

"C'mon Channie~ Let's leave" half man number 1 calls out to his lover, which awaken something in half man number 2 that he hops towards me. We stand up and run away from the park as quietly as possible when we are far from their line of sight.

"Quick in here~" he grabs my hand drags me to the bushes next to Junhong's building. Good thing, their bushes are tall and wide, so we could disappear behind them.

I gulp down my anxiety as I see Himchan walk hand in hand with half man number 1 and try not to think about how half man number 2 is right next to me looking just as uncomfortable as I feel. Even though we can't see them anymore, we stay still not willing to blow our cover. 

"I think they should be gone by now" half man number 2 whispers and he bravely stretches his body, eyes poking out the bushes to check if the coast is clear. He looks from different angles before he bends down and helps me up. I hesitantly take his hand and he pulls me up slowly. He towers over me, like everyone in the world and leads me out of the bushes.

A billion questions resurface in my head and I can't seem to tie the pieces together other than half man having an identical twin. Is he half man of this morning or is that Himchan's boyfriend? And why was he hiding too? I pause trying to recall all the events of the day and make sense of the whole situation. 

Wait a minute! If he's the brother that Himchan was going off about before disappearing than he's the one that's not suppose to know about Himchan and half man! He was hiding because he found out about Himchan and his brother! OMG!

"Hey miss, I don't know what business you have between Himchan or my brother, but if you could kindly keep their relationship between us that would be greatly appreciated" half man number 2 asks and I forget how deep his voice is with all the whispering from earlier. Wow. How do I even begin to explain that I already know that and if anything it's him that shouldn't know about this. I scramble my head to form a cohesive reply, but don't really know what to say, so I just nod.

"Thanks. And I don't want to scare you even more, but you sort of look familiar...Have we met?" half man number 2 starts and pauses in his tracks to offer me a small smile. He looks down at my face and I hold my breath as the truth unveils itself step by step like peeling layers of an onion. Why yes, if you mean me standing in front of you as you open the door to Junhong's old apartment room looking disheleved and undressed or asking for updates about our Hospital tour...if you are that guy. I look up at him and flinch when his hand approaches my face.

"You got a leaf stuck on your hair" He explains as his hand reaches my hair and he takes the leaf out.

"Oh" I reply dumbly offering my fake grin. He tilts his head at my jumpiness and then, his gums peak out as he chuckles. I just look down embarrassed and we slowly walk up the block in silence. Eerie silence to be exact, and it was okay with Jongup because Itaewon is always live, so it's never really quiet and we were on a mission. But now, the street lights are our only company and hearing my own breathing is just making me uncomfortable. I look up at him and find his eyes lost in thought. 

"Maybe I'm mistaking you for someone else..." he laughs awkwardly and it ends dry and forced. "So... how do you know Himchan?" that deep voice tickles my ears and my shoulders quiver up.

"I just met him today through a friend" I reply not revealing too much and he nods. Probably not the answer he was looking for.

"Oh..." was all he said and we walked in more disturbingly quiet silence. We turn the corner at the end of the sidewalk and head to the entrance of the building.

"You live here?" he asks blinking three times obviously not imagining these turn of events.

"No... But my friend does" I say nonchalantly trying to exude the best poker face I can muster. 

"Oh okay" he walks on and I shuffle my feet by the gate. 

"You're not gonna wait inside?" he turns back and I look at his tall and skinny figure. They really look alike minus the hair. His is actually slicked back unlike half man number 1's curly locks. Why didn't I notice this before?

"Aniyo. He'll be quick" I say nodding at him and he looks around before walking back up. Nooooo. The point of this is to be away from you. >< 

"You forgot something?" I ask leaning against the gate and he shakes his head standing next to me. Was he walking slow this whole time because of me? How did he get here so fast?

"After all that's happened, I rather not leave you alone by yourself and you fell on your knees earlier..." he looks at my knees and I mentally scowl. Of course! You saw him half or his brother and he sees you trip on your feet. Checkmate.

"Oh, I'm okay now~" I say shrugging it off like I'm not itching to see how badly I injured myself and sanitize the hell out of it. He turns his head to look at me and my knees and then my face again. Those rugged brows and intense eyes boring into my soul. 

"I have a first aid kit, if you want to clean the wound. I can take you up to my room---" he offers and I abruptly shake my head at the mention of going up with him. I move back and he shakes his head, too accompanied by panicked hands.

"Oh No. Not like that! I'm studying to be doctor, so I was really just concerned about your knee that is all. I even had my clinicals today and I think I might've seen you there when I got a little lost...Your tall friend told me what was going on---if you remember...it was a very miniscule moment in time" he rants and I laugh a little at the sudden redness of his ears. This mean mugging guy with his shaved eyebrows and piercing eyes is losing his cool so tragically when I really was just scared of what we'd see upstairs. He looks up at me and I laugh harder at the dumbfounded look in his eyes. He blinks twice before he lets out a chuckle and those gums peak out in a smile. 

"I'm sorry-- I shouldn't have laughed" I bow my head after my mini outburst. Classy SooHae very Classy....

"It's alright. I have too much in my mind so I'm feeling a little jumbled up" he admits and we exchange another set of smiles less awkward this time. I turn my attention back to the streets and take my phone out to check the time. 1:39am. Where is this giant? I want to sleep and I don't wanna keep half man number 2 out here waiting on me. I send him a couple of text asking him where he is and that I'm waiting outside. He doesn't reply and I click on my game to check on my cats. The background music blasts and I hurriedly lower the volume.

"You play that too?" half man number 2 asks looking over my shoulder and I turn my head seeking his eyes. Is he one of those antis or a believer?

"Yeah, it's really cute and strangely addicting" I reason and he takes out his phone from his pocket.

"I know...I have it too" he says as he opens up the app and his zen yard is filled with cats eating the deluxe tuna bits. 

"Woah you have it too?" I say with more zest than I should've and he nods with the same zeal.

"Himchan wouldn't leave me alone unless I got it...And I actually like it...don't tell him though! He doesn't need the satisfaction of being right when he already feels like he always is" half man number 2 says without an ounce of sarcasm or spite, just stating facts, which baffles me that someone can actually talk in that way.

"I know that feel" I say back and we stand there rearranging the furniture and taking the cats' pictures. Time passes by and I check my emails and other social media sites to busy myself as I wait for Junhong. 2:04am. Where is he? Half man number 2 is probably getting drowsy waiting this late...

"Hey-- Do you want to go in? I really don't want to keep you here when it's this late already" I poke his arm, since his shoulder is out of my reach and he looks up from his phone.

"You want to wait inside with me? No funny business intended" he suggests and I look around to check if I see apologetic eyes and silver hair running to me, but nothing of that sort comes around.

"Alright" I give in and we walk to the front of the building. If only the secuirty guy worked on night shifts again, then I could get in, but it's also mean to make him stand and watch when there's really nothing going on here. He unlocks the door with his key and heads to the elevator.

"I'll just wait here" I say not really up for intruding his home and formally meeting half man number 1 who at this point seems to be the real half man since this guy seems like he only saw me during the orientation. He looks at me as if unsure if he should leave me here.

"I'll be okay. I know half of the people living here and I already owe you enough" I say pushing the elevator button and down arrow lights up.

"Okay...but if anything weird happens just go up the 12th floor and ring the doorbell for 1202" he instructs as we both watch the elevator door.

"Alright" I nod at him and the elevator opens up and he steps in. "Thanks by the way uh---Sorry I don't remember your name..." I say bowing my head apologetically.

"It's Yongguk. Bang Yongguk" he bows his head, too and smiles.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Yoon SooHae" I reply and wave him goodbye. 

"Likewise, and thank you as well... for agreeing to keep the secret" he waves back and this time I give him a thumbs up as the door slowly closes. A sigh of relief escapes me as I see the elevator going up. It's done. I remind myself as I sit at the foot of the staircase and wait for Junhong. I take out my headphones, listen to music and lean my head against the railings. He better have a good excuse. 

 

 

-------------------------------------

 

 

Hey guys, sorry for the late update! >< I kept changing things around and took forever to finally settle on developing the plotline like this. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter as you did the others and if you're wondering Namjoo is the member of Apink and the cat app is Neko Atsume(which I also have fallen victim to)! I'll try to post the fourth chapter soon and have a nice day! ^^