*Final*

Mr Fluffles' Saviour

Mr Fluffles' Saviour
About 760 words.


Jongin woke up around 11pm to the faint smell of smoke and someone banging on the front door to his apartment.
“The building is on fire!”
Jongin instantly got up from his bed and quickly scrambled to find the light blue jeans and the white T-shirt that he had used earlier during the day. He was dressed and out through the door just a minute later.
When he got outside the building a small crowd consisting of his sleepy, half- neighbours and curious people had gathered. Jongin’s gaze soon found an elder lady who was trying to comfort the short, black haired boy that lived in the apartment next to him.
“M-Mr Fluffles is all alone in t-there, he’s going to d-die!” The boy hiccuped between his sobs.
“Don’t worry, dear. The fire department has been contacted and will arrive soon.
“B-But what if they are t-too late?”
Jongin made his way over to them. He placed his calloused hand on one of the boy’s shoulders in a comforting way before he spoke. “What’s the matter?” That was a stupid question to ask, Jongin realised shortly after.
“Mr Fluffles is still in my apartment. I-I forgot him.” A few more tears ran down the boy’s rosy cheeks and Jongin’s heart broke a little at the sight.
“You live next to me, right? In apartment 10B if I’m right?” The boy gave him a short nod. Jongin actually knew this very well — the walls in the apartment complex were very thin and he had heard the boy sing along to the songs on the radio countless of times before. Not that he could complain, the boy had a lovely voice. “I’ll go get mr Fluffles for you, don’t worry.” Jongin flashed him a big smile and ran back to the apartment complex before the boy could stop him.
He took off his white T-shirt and tied it around the lower part of his face so he wouldn’t inhale too much of the smoke that was quickly filling the apartments and the hallways. He then proceeded to climb the stairs to his floor and stumbled into the boy’s (luckily) unlocked apartment that was somewhat clear from the black, deadly smoke. It took a few minutes to locate mr Fluffles — whom appeared to be a white-and-grey spotted cat. He wrapped a blanket around the cat before he picked it up and quickly made his way out of the apartment.
The smoke was thicker now and it was getting harder to see the steps in front of him when he half jogged down the stairs. He almost fell a few times due to his clumsiness and had to comfort the very upset cat in his arms. The T-shirt that was wrapped around his face slipped off when he was running down the last few steps, so he tried to hold his breath and picked up the pace. He pushed the heavy door open and inhaled big gulps of air and smoke when he got outside. Jongin ended up coughing because of the smoke.

Jongin was covered in soot and scratches (scratched caused by mr Fluffles, thank you) — mostly on his shoulders and chest — when he found the boy again among the crowd of neighbours and firefighters that had just arrived at the site. Jongin smiled brightly as he reunited the boy with his beloved cat.
“I told you I’d get him back for you.” The boy flashed him a big smile and tears of joy escaped his big eyes. He would’ve bowed if it wasn’t for the frightened Norwegian Forest Cat he was clutching to his chest, so he settled for;
“Let me buy you coffee sometime.” Jongin chuckled, and ended up coughing a bit. He knew that what he had done was something great, he had saved a life, but he thought that this is what most people should do.
“There’s no nee-“
“I insist. You saved my family.” Jongin was about to say no again until a very nice idea popped up in his head.
“So it’s a date then?” The boy was taken back by the answer and a blush crept up on his cheeks, illuminated by the street lights and the fire raging on the upper floors of the building, now forgotten by the two boys.
“I-If you want it to be, t-then yes.”
“My name’s Kim Jongin, what’s yours?”
“Do Kyungsoo.”
“It’s nice to meet you, Kyungsoo.”
“It’s nice to meet you too, Jongin. Thank you for saving my dear mr Fluffles.”

 


AN: Thank you for reading my (very very very) short oneshot! I hope you enjoyed it! :) Warning: not edited or proofread xd