I'll Be There

I'll Be There

“Wait for me.”

 

 

Said the other person on the line before Jessica hung up and put her phone down on the table.

 

The restaurant Jessica was at looked so serene. She was sat at the corner, near the window, so she could observe the restaurant’s atmosphere. Families were chattering happily and joking around. There were also some sweet couples exchanging sweet words to each other. They all spent their weekend with their loved ones to pay for the lack of bonding time on weekdays due to their own busy activities. It was an endearing sight.  

 

Jessica let out a deep sigh and took a look at the droplets of water the rain left on the restaurant’s window. Then she looked outside, how busy the city was at night, and thought somberly, “What have I done wrong this time?”

 

~-~-~-~-

 

After about 15 minutes she spent her sweet time with her phone, someone knocked on her table. The sound came from her right, so she looked at the direction and she was greeted by a soft smile, “Can I sit beside you?” asked the person. She put down her phone in the table and smiled back slyly while shrugging. The person could sit anywhere she wanted, anyway. The person did.

 

Jessica was silent and just fumbled her phone on the table in front of her. She could feel the other person was facing her, looking at her, and waiting for her, but didn’t say anything to her. She appreciated that. She didn’t know what to say, but she liked the comfortable silence. The other person always had that ability to make her feel comfortable.

 

From her peripheral view, she could see the other person put both her arms on top of the table and leaned her head on the right arm while looking at her. After some seconds, she looked down on her right, at the other person, and mirrored the action. They both smiled.

 

“I’m sorry to take you away from your friends,” Jessica started. Her right hand reached out to the other person’s left hand on the table. “I didn’t know what to do, Sooyoung,” she muttered while fumbling Sooyoung’s index finger. “Even though it’s not the first time, I just still didn’t know what to do.”

 

Sooyoung. The name of her best friend. The best friend who was always there for her. The one who always had time for her even if she’s doing something else, somewhere else. Even when the both of them gained new friends separately, only Sooyoung could give her time just like that to her. The best friend she truly could depend on. Her precious best friend.

 

Sooyoung just hummed and let Jessica hold her index finger, like a baby did, while caressing the nail mindlessly. She just smiled warmly at her. She was talkative, actually. But she knew when to talk less and when to talk more with Jessica, just like that night. She let Jessica to do anything to pour out her feelings.

 

“It’s not the first time. It must be my fault. I must’ve done wrong. It’s always the same reason. Should I just give in to their requests?” Jessica uttered sadly. She looked into Sooyoung’s warm eyes, searching for answers.

 

Sooyoung still smiled, “I think it might not be love if they have to force you to do something only they desired. More so if they got mad at you when you refused to, because it’s against your principle.” Jessica stopped playing with the fingers and focused completely on Sooyoung’s eyes. Sooyoung continued, “Maybe they’re just not right for you. You’re just not right for them. They can meet the others with the same view. You also can meet others who matches you. Come on, there are billions of people in the world! Don’t be sad just because of some guys who didn’t match you!” Jessica laughed at that and hit Sooyoung’s left shoulder with her right hand. Sooyoung just laughed along.

 

Jessica lifted her head up and Sooyoung did the same. Sooyoung brought her chair closer to Jessica and leaned her back on it while smirking. Jessica knew what that meant and smirked back. She laid her head on Sooyoung’s left shoulder and her right hand played with Sooyoung’s left hand again, “Thank you” she muttered to Sooyoung’s shoulder. That was one of the things she liked when Sooyoung chose to sit beside her. Her shoulder was dependable, much more than her past boyfriends’. Jessica then looked up to meet her eyes and smiled.

 

Sooyoung ruffled Jessica’s hair with her right hand and told her, “You’re welcome,” She smiled back and continued, “You know I was about to eat with my friends, right? But then I went here, so... can we order now?” she smiled sheepishly. Jessica just giggled at her and said, “Of course, you can. I haven’t eaten either. My treat.”

 

~-~-~-~-

 

While they were waiting for the food they ordered, Sooyoung looked around the restaurant and she just realized how serene the view was. She also noticed the live band was playing some old songs that brought some nostalgic feelings, especially the older ones. It was really nice.

 

As Sooyoung looked at the live band’s direction, she could see some couples danced along to the music and shared tender stare and laughter to each other. It was lovely to see. She would like to try it. Then she looked at her left. Jessica was playing some games on her phone. She suddenly blocked the phone’s screen with her hand, then Jessica looked up at her confusedly. She smiled cheekily and asked, “I wanna try something new and I kinda need you to do it with me. Is it okay?”

 

Jessica just said, “Okay.” before Sooyoung dragged her to the band’s direction. She noticed the others were wearing nice suits and dresses, even Jessica. It was a fancy restaurant, after all. Meanwhile she just came with a hoodie, jeans, and sneakers, but she shrugged it off. Sooyoung then stopped and held both of Jessica’s hands. She looked at her eyes and smiled.

 

Jessica seemed to notice what it was about and asked, “Are you possibly asking me to dance with you?” Sooyoung just nodded eagerly with the same stupid smile. Jessica just laughed at the ridiculous idea, but she noticed Sooyoung was serious despite her playful look. Jessica lifted her left eyebrow up and asked again, “Really?” Sooyoung nodded again. Jessica found no harm in it and chuckled. She then put her arms around Sooyoung’s neck. Sooyoung followed the action by putting her arms around Jessica’s waist.

 

Just in time, the live band was starting another song.

 

My love

I'll never find the words, my love

 

Jessica and Sooyoung started to sway along with the song.

 

To tell you how I feel, my love

Mere words could not explain

 

Sooyoung looked softly at Jessica’s eyes and grinned. Jessica bit her lip, trying to suppresed the grin showing, and looked at her surrounding. She couldn’t deny she enjoyed this moment with Sooyoung.

 

Precious love

You held my life within your hands

 

Sooyoung stopped for a while, “I don’t know,” she started. Jessica focused her eyes on Sooyoung’s again, “Why this guy stood you up tonight, then broke up with you just by a mere phonecall.” Jessica listened and noticed Sooyoung’s serious gaze at her. “You don’t deserve that kind of action.” Sooyoung added.

 

Created everything I am

Taught me how to live again

 

“That’s why I called you.” Jessica responded and pulled Sooyoung closer to hug her neck. The height was perfect. Usually Jessica had to tiptoe to hug Sooyoung. But this time, she wore high heels, while Sooyoung wore sneakers. So, their height difference were not a problem for Jessica to snuggle her face to Sooyoung’s neck. She was really grateful and relieved by Sooyoung’s presence.

 

Only you care when I needed a friend

Believed in me through thick and thin

This song is for you and with gratitude and love

 

Sooyoung suddenly lifted Jessica up. “Sooyoung! What?!” Jessica squeaked. Sooyoung just smirked and started to spin Jessica around. Jessica squealed and asked Sooyoung to put her down, but with laughter. Sooyoung just shook her head and laughed out loud. They created quite a scene for the others, but they didn’t mind the attention. The moment was just precious for them.

God bless you

You make me feel brand new

For God blessed me with you

You make me feel brand new

I sing this song 'cause you

Make me feel brand new

 

~-~-~-~-

 

They stopped the dance when they saw a waiter came to their table, then they enjoyed their dinner. They had some talks about each other’s works, families, friends, just anything. Sooyoung joked around a lot and that earned some hit to her shoulder, but she was content with it. At least Jessica could laugh freely with her and didn’t feel down anymore.

 

After they finished their dinner, Sooyoung went out first to fetch her car while Jessica paid their bill. The road home was comfortable. Jessica kept looking out the window, looking at the wet road. She opened the window, closed her eyes, and took a deep breath, she loved the scent of rain. Sooyoung took a glimpse of it and opened her window as well, she smiled. A calming indie song filled the background from the radio. It was nice. Really nice. Then the song changed.

 

My love

That sounded familiar.

I'll never find the words, my love

 

They looked at each other.

To tell you how I feel, my love

 

They chuckled.

Mere words could not explain

 

It was the same song they danced to.

 

~-~-~-~-

 

Sooyoung pulled over her car when they had reached the Jungs’ house. Jessica smiled and thanked her, then she went out. Before she reached her door, Sooyoung called her. Jessica turned around and she could see Sooyoung was standing beside her car, then she asked why.

 

Sooyoung didn’t answer. She just went closer to Jessica and hugged her tight. Jessica hugged her back hesitantly before Sooyoung murmured, “I’m sorry for the next thing I’ll do. You can hit me afterwards.” Sooyoung pulled out.

 

Jessica was still confused even after she saw Sooyoung’s face had gotten so close to her. The next thing she knew, a pair of lips were pressed on her own. She couldn’t do anything. She was utterly confused. But she gotta admit, the kiss somewhat made her smile unconsciously. After Sooyoung pulled out, she can only asked, “What was that for?”

 

Sooyoung took a deep breath and calmed herself before replying, “I know this doesn’t seem the right time since you just broke up and all, but...” she sighed. She looked away and felt words were stuck on . She took another deep breath and looked straight into Jessica’s eyes, “I just want you to know how I truly feel about you.”

 

“After seeing those guys who kept on hurting you, I just can’t stand it. I want to see someone who loves you dearly. At the moment, I don’t know any others who can. So, I confidently recommend myself to you.” Sooyoung continued and grinned awkwardly. Jessica had to chuckle at that and lingered a warm smile at Sooyoung. She could say she was impressed by her best friend.

 

“It’s okay even if you thought of me as a rebound. I’ll have my ways to your heart,” Sooyoung added. After seeing Jessica’s smile, she felt good somehow. It gave her strength to go on, “Do you want to try? We can still be just bestfriend if it won’t work out,” she offered then muttered, “Even though I’m not sure how it’ll be.”

 

Jessica didn’t say anything. She didn’t know how to respond. She knew she had always enjoyed Sooyoung’s presence around her. She knew she liked the dance earlier. She also knew the kiss didn’t make her feel bad, but she was still unsure. Just liked Sooyoung said, she just broke up. This was too sudden for her.

 

Sensing that Jessica was not going to give her answer soon, she said, “Well, you can consider it for some times. It doesn’t need to be this time,” she scratched her neck nervously. “I guess I better head home now.”

 

Sooyoung contemplated for a bit, but then she moved forward to kiss Jessica’s forehead, “Bye.” she muttered and turned around to go back to her car.

 

Just before Sooyoung opened the door, Jessica called her. She looked up and waited for Jessica. “This is too sudden for me, but I don’t think it’s bad,” Jessica said as she went closer to the car. She smiled at Sooyoung and continued, “I’m still a bit unsure, but I’d like to try. I admit that so far, you are the greatest person I’ve ever met. So, I don’t think it’s bad.” Sooyoung bit a smile dumbly, “I’m still emotionally unstable, but...” Jessica paused for a while before she whispered.

 

 

“Wait for me.”