Dream

Darkest Before The Dawn

‘What’s going on?’ she rubbed her head and sat up. Jasmynne rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes and looked around at the bright scenery. Everything was so calming. Serene. Almost as if she was under… she was unDeRwatEr. But…. but how was she breathing? She tried swimming to the surface but she couldn’t even float. She was stuck on the seafloor with her jellyfish.

“Hello, Jasmynne. It’s very nice to meet you again.” The jellyfish spoke. She wasn’t even startled anymore.  “My name is Jelly. Very mundane, I know, but you named me when you were only a child.” Jelly lit up into a fluorescent pink shade. “Although you stopped using magic, I still love you unconditionally and I am grateful to you for drinking the tea, because now we both get to live longer! We could even live up to 2,000 years!” Jelly became bright yellow now.  

“What the jellyfish says is true, but would living that long be satisfying if you’re by yourself? You need to help your friends and uncover your hidden powers while you strengthen the ones you already have.” Jazzy whirled around to find the source of the familiar voice. Yoongi put his hand on her shoulder and whispered, “Boo.”

“I come down here every night when I sleep and every night I would try to search for some hope in these vast waters, but I never saw any. Until a few months ago, when I started frequenting Emilee’s cafe.” He looked down for a moment, smiled, and a very light tint of pink covered his cheeks. Jasmynne raised an eyebrow and smirked.

He ignored her facial expression and continued, “That first night, I saw a single glimmer in the distance, but I thought nothing of it.  Then two months had come and gone and the single glimmer was accompanied by three more, and I allowed myself to feel hopeful.” He reached his hand to his chest. “I’ve been neglecting my own emotions for so long, only releasing them when I worked on my music, that I had forgotten what hope felt like. Only two nights ago a water sprite began dancing around me leading me closer to the faint glimmer in the distance, but as wind is faster than the current, it was the air fae that found you four. Now I understand why. Only one of you was a water fae, so my connection wasn’t as strong.” His face fell and his little blue dragon seemed to caress his cheek tenderly.  The little motion made Jasmynne smile lovingly. She felt Jelly nuzzle his head on her cheek and she nuzzled him right back.

“I’m sorry it took so long. I just… WE just had no idea. I guess that’s why you guys kept calling us ‘sheltered’, huh?”

 

"Yea. Your parents were among the many that decided to live as humans do. When they made that decision they didn't take into account that their children could possibly die a lot sooner. That entire generation was full of selfish fae. But none of that will help us now. We need to focus on making yours and your friends powers stronger." Yoongi began pacing and rubbing his chin.

"We'll see if Jin has any other teas or foods that can enhance your powers. I know you have more than that power, I can feel it.", he clenched his fist above his chest.

 

"I'll try my best to recover quickly and find out what this hidden power is."  Jasmynne vowed.

 

Yoongi nodded and left her alone once more. He woke up in his bed next to Emilee. He smiled softly at her. She looked so adorable while she was sleeping. He almost touched her cheek, but something inside of himself made him stop. He quickly repressed the emotions he felt so suddenly and made himself feel numb. He felt his stomach vibrate with hunger. He made his way to the kitchen and sure enough he found Jin preparing the ingredients for dinner.

 

~~~~

 

When she finally opened her eyes she almost started panicking. She flapped her arms around trying to regain the balance she had not lost. She heard a couple of chuckles behind her and she turned around, her face pink and her hands in small fists. Elyssa couldn't really control her temper very well, but she saw that it was only Jimin and Hoseok. The relief vanished as soon as she noticed that the boys had wings.

"Woah there, princess. Sorry, but that was hilarious." Jimin put his hands up in a stop motion and bowed. Why were they acting like this?

"Where are the girls?" She asked frantically. She had just been in their living room and suddenly she was here??  Floating??? Jimin and Hoseok had wings??? Since when???

 

"Please calm down, your thoughts are so loud. The girls are right behind us. The reason we have wings is because we are wind fae. You also have wings, and that's why you're 'floating'."  Hoseok laughed and rubbed his temples.

Elyssa shrunk back and apologized. "Sorry, this is just all so new and I panicked."

"Ahh, yes, one of the many shortcomings of our princess." Jimin nodded.

"Why do you keep saying princess when referring to me??" She sounded a bit frustrated. She had only ever associated the term with a derogatory meaning, so she naturally felt offense.

"Because....you're our princess. The wind fae princess. You descend from the king and queen of the wind fae."Hoseok said matter-of-factly.  

"Then, that means Emilee is also a princess! Wow, they gave up a life of royalty to live as poor people. They made us suffer through so many hardships! All because they wanted to live like humans???"  She felt a seed of bitterness plant itself in her heart.

"Calm down. Your aura is becoming tarnished. You can't let their choices and selfishness destroy you. It was because they did all that that you have become the person you are today. So to speak." Jimin tried reasoning with her, but there was no reasoning with Elyssa when she was angry. The word suddenly disappeared from her vocabulary.

 

"Woah, Emilee, look! She finally came to!" Julia flew over and hovered around Elyssa, checking out her friend's wings. "Dude, you were out for a really long time. Do you know how ed up you had to have been on the other side to have been knocked out for so long?? You were glowing and everything. It was pretty awesome." The youngest sounded as if she was rapping because she was talking so quickly.

Julia's sudden appearance and burst of energy made Elyssa forget her anger for a moment and she smiled. She hugged Julia tightly making her stay there awkwardly. Julia hugged her quickly and then patted her head. She wasn't used to such displays of affection.

Only while hugging her did Elyssa notice Julia's wings. Her hands brushed up against them as she embraced her and they felt like satin. Just as she had felt Julia's wings, she was startled by the contact she felt on an appendage she didn't know she had.

"Hey! Where's your crow??" Elyssa noticed that she didn't see anybody else's familiars. She realized that Julia's wings looked like her crow's. Hoseok's looked like his white owl's wings. Emilee's and Jimin's also matched their familiar's wings. She spun around in circles to try and get a glimpse of her own wings, but she couldn't see them.

Utilizing her wings she flew over to her sister,"Do you have your phone? Did those come with us?" Everybody laughed at her, but her face stayed serious. She was completely serious. If she could just get Emilee to take a picture of her wings for her, then she could see them.  For a split second she wondered if Jazzy had gotten wings and if she did, were they made of water? Probably not since she was a water faerie.

 

“Hey, where are we anyways?” Julia asked Hoseok and Jimin. They seemed to know everything anyways.

“This is where the fae come and ‘wait’ while their bodies regenerate.” Hoseok said. He noticed the confused look on the younger girl’s face. “Basically this is another dimension that we travel to while our bodies sleep in the other dimension known as the ‘human realm’. Here we can practice our magic and fly around freely. Of course, we’re the only ones who fly around in our dimension since we’re wind fae.” He shrugged.

 

“Yoongi hyung and your friend Jasmynne are in the water fae dimension, and when night falls in the human realm, Namjoon hyung, Jungkook, and Tae go to the earth fae dimension and Jin hyung goes to the fire fae dimension. Sometimes we can go to a neutral one, but that hasn’t happened since the first time we found out we were fae.” Jimin explained.

 

“Our dimension is in the air because we’re air fae, Jazzy’s must be underwater because she’s a water faerie… then that means that Jin’s is…” Julia gasped and he face became even paler than it already was and she looked like she was about to faint.

 

“Woah, woah, calm down, please! He’s fine. His body is flame resistant.” Hoseok rubbed her shoulder after he saw her imagination throwing Jin into a volcano. He sniffed the air and smiled, “Looks like Jin hyung is almost done with dinner! You will wake up in the human realm once you’ve recovered enough to function properly. Good luck princess.” he bowed at Elyssa and disappeared. Jimin followed suit.

 

“Why do they keep calling you princess? They haven’t called me that.” Emilee glared.

Elyssa could feel the daggers on her back and turned her attention back to her sister.

“Look, I know as much or even less than you do, so stop giving me that look, okay? If you wanna be mad at anybody, then be mad at mom and dad, because it’s their fault that we’re so uneducated on this very important aspect of our lives.” her voice rose as she progressed in her speech, “You have no right to be mad at me for something that is completely out of our control! The best thing we can do right now is focus on healing enough so that we can wake up in our bodies back…” she stopped herself from saying ‘home’ because it obviously wasn’t her home, ”there.” she sighed deeply.

 

“Well, you apparently have the power to heal, so you should maybe try perfecting it. Maybe by using us as test dummies?” Julia smiled and waved her hands around.

 

“Okay, but I don’t even know how to do that…” she furrowed her eyebrows, “And where’s the moon anyways? I know it’s always in the sky, but does that still apply over here?”

 

“Only one way to find out.” Emilee said reaching for her older sister’s arm. She grabbed her arm squeezed it tightly. She dug her nails into her arm and Elyssa tried to fight her off, but she knew it was in vain. Emilee didn’t stop until she saw blood and heard a small crack. She fractured her sister’s forearm and punctured her skin.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” Elyssa screamed while cradling her arm. Tears fogged her vision and she was so focused on the pain that she didn’t realize she had begun to fall. All she could think about was the look of pure frustration in her sister’s eyes. ‘Why would she do that? Is she really that upset? I don’t understand.’

Julia  focused on making Elyssa float like she was doing earlier. “You didn’t have to do that. That was so dramatic. You could’ve just told her to think about healing herself.”

“Yeah, but that would’ve taken her forever and she only learns things the hard way.”  Emilee shrugged.

 

Elyssa hadn’t fallen too far so she heard the exchange. She stopped focusing on the pain and began to imagine her arm enveloped in a sleeve of… comfort. Slowly, a soft glow started to twist itself around her arm and tightened  itself to look like a sleeve. She stopped falling and focused on healing herself instead. She flew back up to the elevation the younger two were at and thanked Julia. A simple glare was thrown at Emilee. Nothing more was needed. Emilee rolled her eyes and sighed.

A sudden realization came to Elyssa. “Since I was able to heal my arm so quickly, maybe I can heal all of us even faster! I just have to focus on it and want it bad enough! Give me your hands.” They held hands and Elyssa closed her eyes and furrowed her eyebrows once more. Emilee was about to say that she wasn’t trying hard enough when a giant orb of light started to form around them. It started at their feet and slowly rose and closed above their heads. The orbs light started as a very pale blue, but it started to grow darker. The darker the orb got, the better the girls felt. Julia was the first to disappear. Elyssa felt the emptiness in her hand and grabbed Emilee’s other hand.

“I don’t think it’s gonna work on me since I have that shie-.” she disappeared.

 

Elyssa sighed and let the orb disappear. She wasn’t sure if she was ready to return to the human realm just yet.  So many things had happened so quickly and she had no choice but to accept it all as it happened. She wondered how Emilee and the girls were handling everything. She could never really tell what her sister was feeling and she knew that sometimes she couldn’t even tell herself. All she could do was hope that she too could accept everything as it was happening. She sighed deeply and sat on the air. She brought her knees as close to her chin as she possibly could and stared at the sun. This sun didn’t hurt her eyes as much and she wondered why.

 

“That’s because it isn’t the sun.” Hoseok scared the crap out of her and she nearly fell again. “Wow, you’re really clumsy,” he laughed. “I’m surprised you aren’t Namjoon’s sister.”

She scowled and thought, ‘Wrong member.’

Hoseok raised his eyebrows, “Oh? You actually want one of us to be your brother?”

She looked down and blushed, “Well, yea. I… please don’t make me say it outloud. It’s really embarrassing. I’ve already admitted it to Jazzy, and a couple of my other friends. Can’t you just read my mind?” she started messing with the hem of her shirt and thought the words she had repeated so many times before.

“No, no, it’s okay. Maybe it would be best to tell Yoongi hyung the story. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable. This is our safe haven.” He patted her head and pulled her in for a hug, “One of the perks of my powers is that I can see other people’s memories.” he rubbed her head and comforted her. She laughed and pulled away from him a bit, “It’s okay, I don’t feel as terrible about it anymore, because now I’m here.” she gestured to the area around them and spun around. “It’s beautiful here. I imagine this is what heaven looks like.” she smiled and slumped her shoulders. “Wait, what do you mean that isn’t the sun.” she pointed at the giant orb in the sky and gawked.

 

Hoseok laughed, “That’s the moon. That’s why your moon healing powers are so powerful here.”

She stared at it in disbelief and flew closer to it. She wanted to reach out and touch it, but Hoseok stopped her. “Ah, it would be best if you didn’t do that. The power would be too much for you right now. It’s sometimes too much for even the most experienced moonlight manipulators. Of course, you are the first one to be born in over 200 years, but that’s a story for another time.” He pulled her farther from the moon and all she could do was look back at it. It was so beautiful.

 

“The girls told me what Emilee did so you could learn to use your powers quicker. I don’t really agree with the method she used, but I’m glad it worked. What I want to know is why you willingly stayed behind.” He looked concerned.

She sighed and looked up at him, “I don’t know. I just feel so stressed right now. My body feels fine. I could probably nail all of your choreographies right now, but I still haven’t gone back...Why?”

“Ah, I see. When I said you needed to be recovered, I meant both physically and mentally.” He looked at her with pity in his eyes. She didn’t like that one bit. She spun around and tried to focus on healing her mind as well.

Hoseok noticed the light begin to appear around her head and he slapped her shoulder. She glared at him, “Hey! Is it ‘beat Elyssa day’???” Her face was turning an odd shade of red and her hands were balled into small fists. Hoseok couldn’t help but laugh at her.

“You look like tinkerbell.” He laughed for a little bit and she couldn’t but begin to laugh with him. He noticed that she had begun to fade away. He decided to dance around cutely and make cute noises at her. She laughed so hard that she began to cough. Then, she disappeared.

Hoseok smiled and disappeared as well.