A Little Explanation

The Forbidden Woods

Sanghyuk always tell himself that tomorrow will be better than the day before.

He hoped that was true because yesterday was hands down, terrible and not to mention life-threatening.

Then, that could describe his whole life actually.

But he need to focus on the present because that’s the only way he could avoid losing his will to live.

He knew it was crazy to sleep with two strangers in a cave ( he barely knew Taekwoon and Hakyeon was really a mystery ) but he was so tired, his body shut down after a few seconds.

When he woke up, he was surprised to find his arms wrapped around Hakyeon.

He quickly moved away but it was too late.

Hakyeon opened his eyes.

“ I’m sorry. I..I didn’t mean to hug you while sleeping. I’m sorry”, Sanghyuk apologised as sincerely as he could.

 At home, he would end up hugging his pillow but since last night, he was sleeping with people, well, he could not stop his action when he was sleeping.

“ Good morning, Sanghyuk. Hey, you don’t need to be embarassed. It’s ok. I actually like hugs and it’s cold last night so I understand that”.

“ How do you know my name?”, Sanghyuk stammered his question because he hoped it was enough to change the topic.

“ Oh, Mr. Silent there told me”, Hakyeon answered, pointing at a still-sleeping Taekwoon.

“ While you are sleeping, we have a contest on who can stay up the longest. I knew he did not trust me yet. He did not want to answer my questions except for both of your names. Of course, he slept first. I will always be the lat one to sleep”, a sad expression flashed through his face before he quickly broke into another smile.

“ I’m guessing you must have a lot of questions for me, right ? “.

Sanghyuk fidgeted nervously. There was a lot he wanted to ask but he did not which question he should ask first.

Then, he remembered how uncomfortable Hakyeon when Taekwoon asked him about what he was so the question was out of the window.

“ Can you help us to get home ? “, Sanghyuk finally asked.

“ I can but it will be hard. Has anyone in your village tell you to never enter the woods?”.

“ Yes but ... “, Sanghyuk remembered the older kids kicking the ball at him.

“ They have a good reason. The woods are home to various natural and supernatural creatures. Years ago, your head villager made a deal to the Alpha, which is the werewolf you met yesterday and the one of the protecters of the supernatural, that he would prevent his people to enter the woods from dusk until dawn and in return, the Alpha shall gurantee the safety of the villagers from other creatures when they enter the woods during the day. But it’s safer to not enter at all because there’s a possibility of people being lost so your head villager gave the warning just like you hear it”.

“ But the hunters yesterday...”

“ Oh, those hunters”. Hakyeon’s face darkened. “ They disgusied themsleves as a travelling party but that’s just an excuse for them to bring guns and hunt at night when most creatures roam. The leader had a grugde with the Alpha so he keeps on coming here. From what I had heard, your head villager can’t punish them unless there are witness or evidence that proved their crimes. Then....”

“ We showed up”, Taekwoon suddenly spoke up while rubbing his eyes sleepily.

“ But, we didn’t mean to. I tried to catch a ball and then Taekwoon followed me and then we get lost and then... and then... the Alpha. He must have been injured right?”, Sanghyuk felt so guilty. “ If I just catch the ball, then none of those things could happen”.

“ Relax, Don’t blame yourself. Things happen for a reason. I’m sure the Alpha can survive through that. He is a really tough wolf”, Hakyeon smiled with assurance but Sanghyuk could see the worry in his eyes.

Suddenly, there was sound of rustling from outside. Hakyeon’s eye turned sharp with attention and he quickly made his way to the mouth of the cave.

“ Taekwoon, hold Sanghyuk. Be ready to run when I told you to. There’s a way out at the back of the cave. But before that, keep quiet and don’t go out of the cave before I say so. Understand?”.

Taekwoon reluctantly nodded and Sanghyuk guessed Taekwoon did not like to be ordered around by a stranger but he knew he need to follow or something else would happen.

They both kept silent as they heard Hakyeon talking to someone. It then turned into a heated argument but it died down quickly.

“ Taekwoon, Sanghyuk, you can come out now”, Hakyeon’s voice was heard and he sounded calm.

When they stepped out of the cave, Sanghyuk saw that he was not alone.

A boy, not older than Taekwoon but still older than him, stood beside Hakyeon with a displeased look on his face. He had a strong built and a messy hair and he looked as scary as Taekwoon.

When his gaze fall on them, he growled only to be neck-chopped by Hakyeon.

“ Wonsikkie, don’t scare them. Remember, they are kids and they are not the ones who injured the Alpha”.

“ But hyung...”, the scary guy whined before he stopped, knowing that that there were people watching.

“ So, Taekwoon, Sanghyuk, this is Wonsik. He’s a werewolf. Wonsik, this is...”, Hakyeon’s introduction was cut off by another growl.

“ I don’t care what their names are”, Wonsik coldly said.

Hakyeon just sighed.

“ Sorry for Wonsikkie’s behaviour. Trust me, he is a soft-hearted person behind all that tough exterior”.

“ I’m not!!”.

“ Anyway, I also have to apologise because we need to take you both to the pack. Don’t worry, I will gurantee your safety. Wonsik, can you lead the way?".

Sanghyuk concluded that his days would continue to be terrible and life-threatening but he would  learn that he could never predict what will happen next.