Getting Lost

The Forbidden Woods

His mother told him to stay out of the woods.

But he hoped she would understand his current situation.

The rain began to pour down and that made him felt heavier as he trudged through the dark woods.


 

flashback

 

"Taekwoon !!! Be careful when playing and stay away from the woods!!"

Taekwoon or Leo as his friends called him, just rolled his eyes as he ran to the field.

The village was a small one and all the village's children played at the field every evening.

The boys opted to play football and Leo was the best player on the field due to his skil and fierceness which earned him his nickname.

Unsuprisingly, his team won and they all gave a cheer.

Doojoon was going to give him a pat at the back when suddenly they heard a gunshot.

"Hey kids!! Stop playing around and go home!! " a man shouted at them with a shotgun in his hand.

He was followed by a group of men with guns and the similiar annoyed look on their face.

The children quickly dispersed but Leo could not find the ball.

The winning team hold the honour of keeping the ball and it was his turn to take care of the ball.

Some of the opposing team passed by him, their faces wore an amused expression.

" Did you see the Han kid's face just now? He was so scared when we kicked the ball at him".

"Serve him right for making us lose."

"But the ball went into the woods and..,"

"So what? He didn't catch the ball so he's the one who have to get it".

That's how Leo ended up in the woods, searching for the ball and the kid.

He do not want the adults to be involved because he thought the ball and kid wouldn't go far.

He was wrong. After what seemed to be hours, he finally found the kid and the ball.

The two of them quickly searched for a way out of the darkening woods.

flashback ends


When the rain poured down, he realised that it was impossible to find their way home. Leo saw a huge tree with a lot of leaves that could prevent the rain from touching the ground around the tree.

He went there with the boy in tow and they sat down on the damp soil. It was then he realised the boy had been crying, his tears was hidden by the rain.

Leo felt his heart clenched by the sight but he knew that he was no expert in comforting people his age. He decided to give him a reassuring pat on his back which caused the boy to look at him with his teary eyes.

" So, umm, I don't really know you so umm what's your name?", Leo managed to speak out the question he thought was suitable to start a conversation to distract them from their misfortune.

" My..nn...name is...is Han Sanghyuk. I just moved here with my family a month ago", the boy, Sanghyuk answered, his teeth were chattering from the cold.

" Oh. My name is Jung Taekwoon but you can call me Leo".

" Do you think we can go home?", his eyes were a mixture of fear and hope.

Leo sighed and stared out into the rain.

" Maybe", was his curt answer. " I'm sorry I could not say more".

" It's ok. I'm glad that you are here. I thought no one will care to follow me just like ....", he stopped, trying to steer away from a certain topic. " I mean thank you for following me and not leaving me alone".

Leo raised his eyebrows but he kept quiet. He knew Sanghyuk was hiding something but he did not want to pressure him any further.

The continous sound of the rain was making him sleepy when suddenly...

"BANG! BANG! BANG!

The two boys jumped at the sound. Leo looked around and saw something was running towards them.

When it got closer, Leo managed to make out the shape of a wolf and it looked really huge.

" Sanghyuk, we need to run now!!", Leo said to the frightened boy before pulling his hand and broke into a run.

They reached a higher part of the woods and from there, they could see the lights of their village.

The sight of home stopped them in their tracks but then they heard another round of shots behind them.

Leo was about to told Sanghyuk to continue running when suddenly he realised the wolf had caught up with them.

The wolf stared at them for a few minutes which seemed to last forever. Then, a familiar group of men emerged from the bushes.

" Well,well, well. It seems that the werewolf had some pups with it. Too bad that they had to be put down", said a man who seemed to be the leader.

" B..but, Sir, aren't they the kids from the village?", asked a young boy within the group.

The leader walked towards the boy and struck him in the face.

" Watch your place, kid. Of course, they are not. What type of kid will be hanging out with that creature? Anyway, if they are from the village, we can't let them blab about our hunting here. Our cover as a travelling group will be exposed and the head villager will punish us for illegally entering the woods".

The leader then aimed his rifle at the wolf. But before he could pull the trigger, the wolf let out a howl before charging at the group of men.

Leo and Sanghyuk could just watch the scene, not understanding anything that they had heard. Leo had heard stories about werewolves before but he assumed that they did not exist.

" Hey, you two!!  Quick you need to run now! Come with me!", a boy about their age appeared out of nowhere. He grabbed both of Leo's and Sanghyuk's hand and pulled them into a run.

They reached a cave after running a long distance. The three of them  sat down and breathed deeply for air.

Leo looked at their supposed saviour with suspicion but the boy just returned it with a smile.

" I'm sorry I could only bring you into this cave but I only knew that this cave will be the best place to hide".

" Who are you?", Sanghyuk asked.

" No, what are you?" Leo added another question.

The boy flinched but he quickly smiled, trying to cover his uneasiness.

" First off, I'm Hakyeon and secondly, I’m not a werewolf in case you are thinking that”.