Chapter 1

Fall for Stranger

Joonmyun: 3 years older than Jongdae.

Jongin: 5 years younger than Jongdae. He is the straight one.

Sehun: same age as Jongin.

Warning(s): Mention of Jongin/Suzy and very brief Joonmyun/Irene


Kim Jongdae thinks being the second son is great. Moreover the second son of a family who owns the most shares in Shinha Group, one of the biggest group of companies in South Korea. He knows and has realized since he’s young that his older brother, Kim Joonmyun, will inherit their father’s position and he will be the CEO of the smaller company in Shinha Group or the vice president, being the second to Joonmyun. He is okay with that since he is never a covetous one. By being the second, Jongdae realizes that his life is much easier than what his hyung had gone through. Jongdae didn’t need to meet his parents’ high expectation like they did to Joonmyun. His parents isn’t as strict to him as they would to Joonmyun. And he still gets to have fun even though not as crazy as their younger brother, Kim Jongin. While he knew Jongin has no interest in the company, Jongdae still wants to be in some high position there like his parents expect him.

Jongdae is also well-aware that if something happen to Joonmyun, he will be the first to take over Joonmyun’s position and he is prepared for that. But what Jongdae doesn’t expect is that the time comes faster than he ever thought.

.::.

Autumn 2012

The sky is beautiful today and Jongdae feels relax by only seeing it from the glass wall of his office room. The tall buildings that he can see from there almost as tall as where he is standing right now. Soft knock on the door brings Jongdae out of his reverie. Jongdae turns when the door is opened.

“Kim Sajang-nim? You have teleconference meeting with Chinese clients in 10 minutes.” His secretary’s deep voice reminds him.

Jongdae nods then gestures his head to the glass wall. “The sky is beautiful today.”

Jongdae’s secretary enters the spacious room and stands in safe distance behind Jongdae. “It is.” He says while admiring the blue sky. It’s early autumn and the sky is not gloomy grey like yesterday. “Should appreciate it while it lasts.” He says in sad tone, longingly.

Jongdae sighs and turns to the man behind him. He looks up to meet him in the eye. “Chanyeol.” The man before him looks back at him but he doesn’t say anything. Jongdae sighs again. “Thanks for preparing the meeting.” He says then walks out the room to go to a meeting room.

Jongdae still thinks that being a second son is great, but he just never expects he will be the CEO of Shinha Group in the age 26.

***

Autumn 2014

It’s been a hectic day for Jongdae. Almost everyday is busy day for Jongdae since he was appointed to be the CEO. He needs to gain trust from the board of stakeholders since his hyung has always been their favorite. Joonmyun is always able to impress everyone and Jongdae knows he’s not as capable as his hyung so he needs to try harder. But no matter how busy Jongdae is today, he has to clear out his schedule for tonight because there will be a family dinner and he was asked not to skip this family dinner.

Tonight’s dinner is in the fancy restaurant in Shinha Hotel. Although their chefs in Kim mansion can cook as good as in the hotel restaurant, they still want to go outside sometimes for family dinner. Jongdae leaves his office a little earlier since he wants to enjoy the sunset on the road.

It’s another autumn, Jongdae’s favorite season and Jongdae enjoys it as much as he can. So, now he is looking at the window of his car. The car moves slowly because of the traffic but then the driver pulls the brake suddenly and Jongdae can hear a sigh from the driver in front of him.

“The traffic is kind of annoying. But you’re smiling.”

Jongdae doesn’t tear his eyes from the beautiful sunset outside. His smile is wider. “You know how I love sunsets and autumns, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol hums. Jongdae’s driver doesn’t come today because his wife is sick, so Chanyeol, as a good secretary, offered to drive him to the hotel knowing that his boss will just enjoy the ride because of the sunset.

Jongdae pulls down the window and takes out his hand, feeling the chilly breeze outside. “So, enjoy it while it lasts?” Jongdae looks at the pinkish orange hue in the sky longingly.

Chanyeol glances at Jongdae through the rearview mirror. “Yeah.”

“I’m having a bad feeling about this dinner.” This time, Jongdae turns his gaze to Chanyeol.        

“I thought they will celebrate your success in approaching Chinese clients and getting an important deal?”

“Hm.” Jongdae closes the window car. “Also Hyung’s new branch in Daegu. Jongin’s internship, too.”

“Woah! What could be so bad about those things?” Chanyeol asks excitedly.

Jongdae looks at his secretary, as he expects Chanyeol is grinning at him. Jongdae snorts. “You are always so positive about everything.”

Before Chanyeol can reply back, they are already in front of the hotel. “Just drop me off here. Don’t wait for me.” Jongdae says.

“Yes, Sajang-nim.” Chanyeol replies when they are in front of the lobby.

“Okay. I—I will text you later.” Jongdae gets out of his car without waiting for Chanyeol to open the door for him.

Jongdae arrives there just on time but there is already Joonmyun who is looking at the menu. Jongdae smiles, knowing that his hyung always come earlier to any appointments he has. “The traffic is crazy,” Jongdae mutters as he plops down on the chair beside Joonmyun. “But I was enjoying the ride. The sunset was beautiful,” he is grinning to his Joonmyun who smiles at him.

“I know, the traffic, I mean. That’s why I took subway here.”

“Ey, Hyung. Subway, really?” Jongdae frowns. “You really like playing it? You can ask Sehun to drive you here.”

Joonmyun chuckles, “I’m not playing it. I’m living it. And Sehun is in Daegu now.” Joonmyun understands how Jongdae is always so worried about his life. His poor lifestyle. He’s just living a common lifestyle, not the kind of lifestyle a chaebol usually have. Actually, Jongdae should understand this since he was living that poor lifestyle since high school. Not like Joonmyun whose life path already been set by his parents, Jongdae was given the permission to choose his own path. While Joonmyun went into a prestige school where only the richest enrolled there, Jongdae chose to go to a public school for high school. But it was not just average school, it was one of the top three in South Korea and Jongdae maintained his grade to be one of the top five for all the years he spent there. Not that Joonmyun is less smart, Joonmyun was expected to get into one of  Ivy League schools and he made it, it’s just Jongdae was allowed to choose his own path. 

“Oh the new branch, how is it?” Jongdae asks Joonmyun who looks like he’s spacing out.

Joonmyun looks at his brother and smiles. “It’s good. And don’t worry, I’m living my life so well and happy.” He pats Jongdae’s shoulder.

Jongdae pouted, doesn’t know if he should feel relief or envy because he wants to be like Joonmyun. His hyung decided to left the family and started his new life and business. Jongdae knows, for Joonmyun who wasn’t familiar to a commoner life, it must have been hard. But he’s relieved that their parents didn’t decide to disown his hyung. Kim mansion is always open for him and he’s always invited to family dinner and events. Just then, his parents come and greet their sons.

“Jongin is late again?” Mr. Kim asks seeing that his youngest son is not there yet.

“It’s his first day internship in Seouldae (Seoul National University) Hospital.” Joonmyun answers.

“Okay, let’s just order the food.”

Jongdae sees how his father looks at his mother as if sending some telepathy and his mother smiles at his father.

While waiting for the food, the Kim family starts to talk about their lives. Mr. Kim asks Joonmyun about the coffee shop business and congratulates him for the new branch in Daegu. He also gave Joonmyun some advices about business. Even though Joonmyun was being a successful CEO for four years in Shinha Group, he is happy and gladly accepts his father’s advices.

Jongin comes right when the food are coming. When he is about to order the food to the waiter, he sees that his favorite food is already served. Jongin then turns to their mother and kisses her cheek, “Thanks for the food, Eomma. And, sorry I’m late. Rough first day.”

“So, what are we talking about? Joonmyun hyung’s new branch?” Jongin asks the family. “Daegu, right Hyung?”

“Yeah, it’s all good.” Joonmyun smiles.

“Then how about Jongdae hyung? I heard you got a great deal with a Chinese company?”

Before Jongdae can answer Jongin’s question, his father boasts about Jongdae’s successful deal. It’s been tough spreading their products to Chinese market but Jongdae could accomplish it and make his father proud of him. Jongin also doesn’t miss Joonmyun’s proud smile, he knows that Joonmyun is aware of Jongdae’s capability and that it relieves him because he passed the CEO position to a right person.

The time their desserts come, they change the topic to Jongin’s first day internship. Mister and Mrs. Kim were worried about Jongin since the maknae seemed have too much fun in his teenager days. But then they were surprised when their troublemaker son told them that he wanted to go to medical school after an accident that almost took his life. Now Jongin is doing an internship program at his university hospital and he’s becoming a more responsible person.

If their father would ask the siblings about work, business, or school things, their mother would ask them about their social life and of course, love life. Jongin, being a playboy and the most popular among girls, always be the first target of their mother’s investigation.

“Jongin, I heard you’re dating Suzy Bae. Is that true? Jongin, you know our family relationship with the Baes,” The Kims and the Baes are not really in a good relationship now that Joonmyun bailed out from his arranged engagement with Irene Bae, Suzy’s flawless older sister.

“I know, Eomma. And they know too. But I’m serious this time. I’m serious with her.” Jongin replied with serious face.

Their mother sighs and shakes her head. “Just—don’t cause any troubles, yes?”

“Yes, Eomeonim.”

“Joonmyun-ah, how’s it with Sehun? It’s been a while since the last time I saw him, why don’t you guys visit home this weekend?”

Joonmyun glances at his father who seems not so happy with the topic. It was still a sensitive topic –about Joonmyun and Sehun—because to their father, Sehun is the one who caused Joonmyun left the engagement, gave up his position, and left the family. Their father never said anything regarding the matter nor did some action behind Joonmyun’s back. “We are fine, Eomeonim. And yes, I’ll visit home this weekend.”

Seeing that the situation isn’t getting any better every time she brings up that topic, their mother decides to end it and turns to his second son, “Jongdae-ya, I think you’re too busy with your work, you should loosen up. How about a blind date?”

Jongdae freezes. He knows that it’s the time. He turns 28 a few weeks ago and he’s aware it’s time for his arranged marriage; it’s unavoidable situation.

“Eommeonim, isn’t this too early for Jongdae? I believe he’s still adapting—”

Jongdae pats his hyung’s shoulder, “I’m okay, Hyung.” He then turns to his mother, “You can set me up for a blind date anytime, Eomma.”

.::.

“You’re not ready for it, Jongdae-ya.” Joonmyun said when they are in Jongdae’s car. Jongdae was offering him a ride.

“I’m ready, Hyung. I’m preparing for this since two years ago, we know it will come and I will accept it. When you asked me and I accepted it, I also accepted this arranged marriage. Mom’s choice won’t be that bad.” Jongdae smiles, remembering how his mother set Joonmyun up with a perfect and flawless girl like Irene Bae.

“But— I shouldn’t have— What about—”

Hyung,” Jongdae calls. He knows his hyung feels guilty that he passed the position and the responsibility to his dongsaeng. Not to mention he indirectly took Jongdae’s freedom. “You don’t need to be worry, okay? I’m fine. Everything is fine. I haven’t even meet the person yet. And… I’m not you, Hyung.” He chuckles.

Joonmyun smiles. He ruffles his dongsaeng’s hair. He knows Jongdae isn’t like him; he’s more that capable to have the CEO position and he’s also stronger he seems to be. “If you need help or something, just tell me, okay?”

“Sure, hyung.”

.::.

Jongdae arrives five minutes earlier at the French restaurant where they should meet. He tells the waitress that he already reserves a table in his name. When the waitress walk him to his table at the corner of the restaurant, a man already sits there but Jongdae can’t see his face, only his suited back and raven black hair that looks so soft. It’s a bit unexpected, maybe the girl bring along her boyfriend?

When Jongdae finally sits across the guy, the latter offers his hand and Jongdae shakes his hand. “I’m Byun Baekhyun. Nice to meet you.”

Byun? Jongdae remembers nothing about someone his mother set him up with today –he didn’t have time to read the profile his mother sent him this afternoon— but he remembers her mother told him the family name was Byun. So, he’s her oppa? If there’s another thing aside his family name that Jongdae notices immediately from the guy in front of him, it is the kohl that lined his eyes perfectly. A smirk that appears on Baekhyun’s face reminds Jongdae that he still holds the other guy’s hand tightly.

“Kim Jongdae. Nice to meet you too, Baekhyun-ssi.”


missmun's notes: so, yeah~ that's it. it's just like an introduction chapter. hope you enjoy it ^^