Chapter Five

Sickeningly Sweet

The door slams open. Arms weighted by bags, burst through the opening.

“JINNIE! I’M HERE!” A deep voice booms.

Yoongi bolts awake, sitting up in bed. He rubs his eyes as curse words slip off his tongue.

“Wrong room. There’s no Jenny here.” Yoongi mutters, glaring at the tall man.

“Ah… Who are you?” The man quirks his eyebrows.

“Mmm. I’m a sleepy, grumpy old man that’s about to rid the world of your disgraceful disruption.”

“Uh… Okay?” The man scratches his head, slight discomfort showing on his face. “The nurses told me that this was Kim Seokjin’s room.”

“Ah. Him.” Yoongi nods, laying back down and rolling onto his left side.

After a long moment of silence, the man speaks again. “Well, do you know where he is? It sounds like you know him.”

Yoongi looks up from his pillow. “Behind the iron curtain.”

“Excuse me?”

Yoongi over-dramatically sighs. “There’s only one curtain in here. Guess.”

“What a piece of work.” The man mumbles under his breath.

Just as Yoongi prepares to shoot another snarky comment, Jin comes limping out of the bathroom.

His dull eyes light up. “Joonie. You came.”

A warm smile spreads across Namjoon’s face. “How could I not?”

Yoongi groans and kicks his feet in bed like a small child. “I feel sick to my stomach, these guys.”

Jin’s smile falls. “Sorry Yoongi. We’ll go to my side of the room.”

Seokjin grabs Namjoon’s hand and pulls him to his bed.

Namjoon leans close to Seokjin and whispers, “Your roommate is an . How do you live with him?”

Jin giggles, a hand covering his mouth. “He has a certain charm once you get to know him.”

“Hah. Yeah right.” Namjoon scoffs. “You're too nice Jin.” He pinches Jin’s right cheek, grinning widely.

Seokjin blushes and looks down.

“Are you feeling okay?” Namjoon asks in concern. “You seem really tired and pale.”

“I'm fine.” Jin weakly smiles. “I’ve just had a bad upset stomach since last night. I haven't really slept.”

“Lay down. Now.” Namjoon looks serious, standing up from his bed.

“It's okay. You came all the way here…” Jin trails off, his dry lips. “I don't want to ruin it.”

“You aren't ruining anything. Just lay down and I'll feed you.” Namjoon smiles pleasantly, turning to pull out some plastic containers.

“I asked my mom to make you Jjampong, but I don't think you should eat it with your stomach so upset.” He sifts through the bag, searching for another container. “Luckily, my mom also made you Insam because she wants you to get your strength back and come visit.”

Jin laughs. “She might as well be my own mother.”

“She’s always loved you as her own son.” Namjoon pats Jin’s head.

Jin blushes again, playing with his hands. He shivers.

“You know I'm suddenly cold. I'm going to grab a sweater.” Jin slides out of bed and, as quickly as he can, moves to the bathroom.

Yoongi smoothly enters the room like a snake. “I hear there is Jjampong.”

Namjoon glares at him. “Glad to know your ears still work, grandpa.”

“My fists work too. Shall we test those as well?” Yoongi raises his eyebrows, a malicious smile on his face.

Namjoon chuckles roughly, dropping the food containers on the counter. He whirls around, arms crossed with his tongue between his teeth.

“You sure you want to fight me?”

“Of co-”

Suddenly, someone punches Yoongi’s shoulder playfully.

“The caterpillar has left the cocoon!” Jin says excitedly. “You should eat with us young butterfly.”

Yoongi side eyes Jin, his childish notions putting him off.

“Come on.” Jin whines, yanking on Yoongi’s arm. “It'll be fun, plus Namjoon’s mom is an amazing cook.”

Yoongi bites his lip, pulling his arm away from Jin. “Fine, but only if I can eat the Jjampong.”

Jin beams. “Sure, my stomach can't handle it anyway.”

Yoongi smirks, eyes glimmering with mischief as he moves to take the container of Jjampong from Namjoon.

“Thank you.” Yoongi grunts, trying to yank it from Namjoon’s iron grasp.

Namjoon’s eyes cover Yoongi with a layer of darkness, burning him.

Jin crinkles his eyebrows together in discomfort. “Guys?” He whimpers.

Namjoon clenches his teeth in a semblance of a smile. “Enjoy.”

Yoongi stumbles backwards when he suddenly let's go.

“Bastard.” He whispers sharply under his breath.

“Here’s your Insam. Eat it well.” Namjoon smiles, handing Jin his dinner.

Jin’s grey sweater slips down his shoulder, revealing his milky skin. Yoongi’s breath catches in his throat, forcing him to bite his lip to muffle the sound.

Catching his roommate’s eyes on him, Seokjin glances down at his shoulder and yanks up his sleeve, cheeks burning with embarrassment.

Jin clears his throat. “Why don't you sit on the edge of the bed Yoongi? You shouldn't stand so long.”

“Pfft. I'm fine. Don't worry about me.” Yoongi rolls his eyes as he sits on the bed, legs crossed.

“Joonie. You can sit on the end if I move my legs to the side.” Jin starts moving, but Namjoon grabs his legs and puts them back on the bed.

“Nope. You get comfy. I'll sit on the chair.”

Seokjin nods meekly, popping open the container and bringing it to his lips.

“Woh!” Yoongi shouts, food spilling out of his mouth. “This is delicious. I officially love your mom.”

Namjoon chokes on his noodles, Jin laughing quietly in the background.

“Seriously, this is the best Jjampong.” Yoongi moans at the taste. “So spicy.”

“Please don't make that sound.” Namjoon says harshly. “It's polluting my innocent Jinnie’s ears.”

“Your Jinnie? I wasn't aware that he was your property.” Yoongi shoots back, daggers in eyes.

Jin smacks Yoongi’s arm. “Calm down, he's just joking.”

Yoongi grumbles, shoving noodles in his mouth. 

Seokjin watches in distaste. “You're such a messy eater.”

“Yep.” He talks with his mouth full.

Seokjin grabs a handful of tissues, then Yoongi’s jaw, and starts scrubbing sauce off his face.

Yoongi swats his hands away. “Stop it mom, I'm eating.”

“Who’re you calling mom?” A female voice asks behind him.

Yoongi scrambles off the bed. “M-mom? You didn't tell me you were coming to visit?”

“Last time I checked, it isn't a crime to visit your sick son.” She says tersely, looking down at the food in his hands. “And you're not supposed to be eating spicy foods mister.”

She pulls it out of his hands and places it on Jin’s bedside table. “I brought you Tteok to eat instead. Come with me.”

Yoongi mouths an apology to Jin as his mom drags him to the other side of the curtain. This was not what he had in mind for today.