Prologue

Sickeningly Sweet

Jin sprints down the muddy soccer field, chasing after the zooming soccer ball.

"Oy! Namjoon I'm open!" He shouts, sporadically waving his hands to gain his friend's attention as he hops around.

Suddenly, Jin feels a sharp pain up his calf, causing him to halt in his motion. He bites his bottom lip to hold back a yelp of pain, hand reaching down to clasp his aching leg.

"You okay Jin?" Namjoon calls from across the field, dribbling the soccer ball.

Jin ruffles his hair and stands up, ignoring the ache in his calf. It's probably just a cramp anyway. "Yeah! Give it here."

Namjoon darts past one of the players off of the opposing team, and slams his foot into the soccer ball.

Side-stepping, Jin moves in the direction of the ball. He brings his leg up, deflecting the ball with his calf.

A piercing scream slips out of Seokjin's lips as he falls to his ground in excruciating pain.

"Ahhh." Jin moans in pain, silent tears dripping down his face.

In the distance, he hears a whistle being blown indicating that 'time' has been called.

Namjoon comes sprinting towards Jin, crouching down beside his best friend.

"Seokjin. Seokjin. Focus on my voice, you're okay." Namjoon says softly as he pets his hair.

Jin breathes heavily trying not to scream anymore as he holds eye contact with Namjoon.

Medics run out onto the soccer field with a stretcher in their hands. They push Namjoon out of the way, and carefully, yet quickly load Jin onto it, running off the field.

***

"Ewing's sarcoma." The doctor says bluntly.

"What?" Jin and his mother gasp at the same time.

The doctor sighs sadly. "It explains the broken bone, the pain you experienced beforehand, and the inexplicable fever."

"I don't understand." Jin whispers, fear in his eyes. "My leg broke because of the ball...My fever must just be a virus. I just- It doesn't make any sense. I can't have cancer..."

"I'm terribly sorry, this is never an easy diagnosis to hear." The doctor says sympathetically.

He turns to Jin's mother, holding out a clipboard with some paperwork attached. "Here is a consent form to run a few more tests to see what course of action we should take."

Jin's mother wipes at her eyes and signs the form. "Sure. Do whatever you need."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Yoongi. You need to eat something. You haven't eaten anything two days." His mother reprimands in a stern voice.

Yoongi breathes shallowly, coughing into his hand before he replies. "I can't. My stomach is killing me."

"Oh sweetie." Yoongi's mother pouts, and pushes some sweaty fringe out of his eyes. "I think it's time for me to take you to the doctor."

Yoongi coughs again, then says hoarsly, "No, not yet. I bet it's just a virus. There's nothing a doctor can do for me."

His mom sighs. "If you say so, but if you aren't feeling better by tomorrow we are going."

Yoongi forces a painful smile. "Okay mom. I promise."

She smiles back, then shuts the light, carefully shutting the door as she leaves.

As soon as he is sure she is gone, Yoongi's eyes flutter shut as he sighs and rolls onto his side, curling into a ball and clutching his stomach.

***

Yoongi wakes up drenched in sweat at 2 AM, loudly in pain.

After about 10 minutes of lying there helplessly, he hears footsteps pounding down the hall. His mother bursts into the room, flicking the lightswitch on.

"Yoongi? Yoongi what's wrong?" She questions in panic.

Yoongi flinches, arms curling closer around his frail frame.

"Eomma. It hurts." He whines, tears rolling down his face. "I can't even move, it hurts s-so bad." Yoongi hiccups.

"I'm calling you an ambulance." She declares, striding out of the room before he can protest.

***

A nurse carefully slides a needle into the lymphnodes beneath Yoongi's arms, apologizing when he winces as she draws out fluid.

"The doctor will be back when the results have come in." The nurse bows, then exits the hospital room.

Yoongi shuts his eyes and mumbles, "Eomma. I'm scared."

She moves over to the side of his bed, rubbing soothing circles into his back. "I know sweetie, I know."

***

A man in a white lab coat enters the hospital room quietly, speaking softly so as to not disturb the snoring child laying on the bed.

"Hello Mrs. Min, I am Doctor Kim Sung-kyu." He reaches out to shake her hand. "I have your sons test results."

She stares at him expectantly.

"I'm very sorry, but your son has Hodgkin's Lymphoma."

Mrs. Min covers in horror, sitting back in her chair as it sinks in.

"We'll be sending a group of nurses down in a few minutes to move your son to the oncology ward."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: I hope this was okay, I haven't written in about a year. >.< Please feel free to leave comments!