25 cups and a story

Your Guardian Angel

Luhan sighed to himself. He was on his way to a tv studio today, trying to keep his mood up. He didn't want to be rude to anyone, but sometimes it was difficult for him to keep calm and happy. He couldn't remember a time when that wasn't the case, so he almost accepted it as part of his personality.

As mentioned, he was heading for a tv studio, something he would usually never do. It was the most special day in his life, because this was the day when he would reveal and share his heart, his story, and it would be on national television. Well, maybe it wasn't exactly his story, since it was mostly about someone else, but he felt like it was still his to share.

The show he was appearing on was about strange collections. You know how people collect stuff, it can be action figures, or stamps, or whatever really. Well, Luhan had his collection as well, and he had sent in a request for the show to feature his collection on the show, to feature the story behind the collection, and they accepted him.

Arriving, he got inside and shyly found the people he was supposed to work with. An hour or two was spent fixing Luhan's hair and makeup. It lowered his confidence in a way, since it told him he wasn't good enough all natural, but also raised it, because looking in the mirror when he was all done made him feel more good looking than ever. The staff also put a small microphone on the collar of his shirt, making sure it worked perfectly before they told him there were five minutes left until they would start filming.

Sure, he was nervous alright, but also very thrilled. This was something he had both subconciously and conciously wanted to do for so long, and finally he could. Finally he would. So he tried to swallow down all of his trembling senses, calm down the butterflies in his stomach, because it was showtime. He had never been more ready for anything in his entire life.

"...so once again, when he calls out 'action', I'm going to introduce the show and the topic, and then when I say 'I welcome up here; Lu Han', you walk in from here, you get over to me and we shake hands before sitting down. Got it?"

Luhan nodded and smiled at the host, trying to remember what she had just said.

The host was a young woman, she looked like she might be around his age, maybe a few years older, but not more than thirty. She had a cute and excited image, with colourful clothes to match it. The first impression Luhan had of her was pretty good, she seemed very nice. Her name was Meili.

"Aaaand action!" he heard a male voice suddenly, and he bit his lip. His heart was beating hard against his chest, and without thinking he somehow succeeded at following Meili's instructions. He ended up sitting in one of the two chairs smiling at the camera and at Meili.

"Luhan, nice to meet you."

"You too."

"So what is it that you collect? Tell our viewers."

"Okay, so you know Starbucks right?"

"Of course."

"I collect to-go-cups from starbucks. Or well, I used to."

Meili nodded, seeming interested. "Why?"

Luhan picked up his bag he had brought. "There's a story to it, can I show the cups as I tell it?"

And Meili nodded again. "Go ahead."

So he picked up the first cup. It was just a regular paper cup, a bit old looking, and the name "Luhan" was written on it with black ink. Just the typical Starbucks-mug.

"Five years ago, when I was just 19, I used to go to one particular Starbucks café everyday for my daily tea. One day, there was a new guy working there. It was suddenly always him taking my order, him pouring my tea."

He placed the mug on the table in front of the chairs, and picked out two more out of the bag. They were almost identical to the first cup, and he placed them too on the table.

"I was just there for tea, but that barista seemed to want something from me. On the fourth day..." Luhan talked on, showing yet another cup to the camera and to Meili. This one had not only the name "Luhan" written on it, but also a phone number.

-

Luhan walked into Starbucks, immediately getting a smile and a wave from the barista. He walked up to the counter.

"One green tea latte, please."

"Coming up. How are you today?"

The man behind the counter was not asking this for any particular reason, he just asked out of the blue, and because Luhan didn't know what an honest answer would sound like, he just said the automatical.

"Good." he replied, not bothering to ask the same question back. He wasn't supposed to get involved with anyone.

"Here you go." the man said handing the cup over. Luhan saw the phone number on the cup, but he ignored it.

"See you tomorrow" he grumbled before leaving.

-

"Ooh, looks like you got yourself a love interest." Meili commented with a slight smile.

"I didn't want one though. At the time I wanted to keep away from people and relations. You see, I had some major trust issues, but that's another story."

He started placing a lot of cups on the table now, more than a dozen that said "Luhan♥".

"He would ask me about my life and my well being everyday, but the cups didn't change for a while. I also never answered his questions, at least not with the truth. What I didn't know back then was that during the last week of this kind of cup," He pointed to the last cup in the row so far. "he followed me from the cafë, since his shift ended right after I had ordered, conveniently enough. I shouldn't have came by the same time everyday. He followed me home for a week, and he discovered so much of my personal life. I lived at home it was just me and my mom, who had become very strange after my dad's death about a year earlier. Basically she didn't treat me that well, and the barista found out about this when he was snooping around. Mom was the one telling be about it, because she had seen him one day."

The next cup coming up out of the bag was much different. It didn't even say "Luhan" anymore, there was just a quote.

-

"One green tea latte, please." Luhan sighed. The barista still had that constant smile plastered onto his lips.

"I know by now." he giggled. Luhan didn't appreciate the joke that much.

When he got the mug, he read on it, confused.

"What's this supposed to mean? 'I can be the one'?"

"It's a quote." the man explained. "It's from a song, you should listen to it. I wrote the name of it and the artist on there as well."

Luhan wrinkled his forehead, finding this weird. "See you tomorrow" he mumbled, getting out of there.

-

"Your Guardian Angel? by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus? That's what it says, right?" Meili asked, squinting her eyes to read on the cup and Luhan nodded, placing it on the table.

"It's not a bad song." he chuckled. "I did listen to it, but I didn't tell him that. Anyhow, he kept writing me quotes from it on the cups."

And he kept placing cups on the table. One said "I will never let you fall", the next "I'll be there for you through it all", the third "It's okay, it's okay, it's okay." and the fourth "I'm here for you.". The last cup he put there said "Please don't walk away, please tell me you'll stay.".

"The next day I didn't show up at the café. I was actually... planning to die that day."

Meili's eyes grew bigger. "What, why?!"

"I wasn't happy with my life I guess. Everything was a mess. So I was going to this highway, I wanted to get hit or driven over by a truck. Now, the biggest mistake I've ever made was picking up my phone and calling the barista. Remember, I recieved his number? I had saved it to my phone and I called him while on my way to the road."

-

Luhan pressed the phone hard against his ear as he walked. Someone picked up right away.

"Hello?"

"Hello."

"Luhan?"

"How did you know?"

"I recognized your voice. Why didn't you come to get tea today? You're making me worried."

Luhan chuckled a bit at the naive man, caring about strangers like that. "I didn't need tea today. Listen, I called to say thank you."

"You're welcome... wait, for what though?"

"You know, it's weird, but these weeks you, a barista at a stupid coffee place, have seemed to care about me more than anyone else have done in a... while."

"Okay... But... why did you just call me all of a sudden to tell me that? It's so impulsive. Are you drunk?"

"I'm not drunk" Luhan laughed slightly, "I just don't think I'll have more chances to thank you."

By now, the voice at the end of the line started to sound more and more worried. "Will you not be coming to the café anymore?"

"I probably won't be coming anywhere anymore."

"What are you talking about?! Where are you??"

"Just by a road. I know I'll be okay, though my skies are turning grey, that's how it goes right?"

"What? That's how what goes? Luhan, are you by the highway?"

"That's how the song goes! Your song recommendation." Luhan said frustratingly, ignoring the other question.

"Oh, yes, that's right. But what's happening, what's going on???"

"It doesn't really concern you. Just, thank you, again. Bye, barista."

"No, don't hang up, Lu-"

Luhan hung up. He looked out at the highway in front of him. So many cars. His plan was to step out, just in time for a vehicle not to realize he's there, not until it's too late. But it couldn't be a car, that wouldn't kill him. It had to be a truck. So he waited.

-

"Were there no trucks that day?" Meili asked, trying to guess why Luhan had failed his suicide.

"There were trucks alright, just very few. But then I saw it, it was perfect. So big. It was the one. But as I saw it coming closer, I also heard someone yelling my name behind me."

"He came for you." she whispered, completely intrigued. Luhan nodded.

"Yes, the idiot came for me. He must've guessed what highway I had gone to, there weren't a lot of them in the area. I ignored him, determined that he couldn't ruin my plans, and when the truck came close enough I ran out in front of it."

His voice was weak by now, and he made a pause, letting the silence in the room speak for itself before he swallowed and continued.

"He ran out after me. It's like the typical story about the hero pushing someone out of the road. The story where the hero himself gets hit instead. But in the stories, the heros survive, they get well, and they live happily ever after with the person the saved. This is not the typical story."

Meili looked like she was on the verge of crying by now. She shook her head in shock and neglection, presumably.

"The doctors told me his neck snapped from the impact, so he didn't suffer too much, if we're to look at things from a somewhat better perspective."

"I'm so sorry." the host whispered. Luhan shrugged.

"Yeah, I know. Anyhow," he said and took a deep breath. "I have one cup left to show you. He had brought it to the road, a cup of green tea latte prepared for me, and it flew out of his hand when the truck hit him. Obviously, this is the last cup."

He stuck his hand into his bag and fished out the cup. As with all of the other cups, it was just your typical Starbucks-to-go-cup, but with a special text instead of a simple name. He placed it on the table, at the very far end of his row of paper cups, letting Meili read the text first before facing it to the camera.

"Even if saving you sends me to heaven."