Wake Up Call

Wake Up Call

Himchan likes Yongguk. In fact, he likes the latter so much he tends to follow him around everywhere, every day. To Himchan, a day without Yongguk by his side is a day not worth living. Some people might call it an obsession but Himchan disagrees—what he feels towards Yongguk is something much more powerful, something with a pure intention.

 

"Stop following me around, Himchan," Yongguk would shove him off whenever Himchan gets a little too close for his likings. The pale-faced boy would then back away unwillingly, bitter.

 

"Don't cling to me so much, Himchan. Give me some space," Yongguk would push away the hand on his arm whenever Himchan clings a little too uncomfortable for him to bear. The younger boy would then inch away from the latter, saddened by the cold gesture.

 

Himchan is used to Yongguk's rejection by now. It doesn’t bother him that much anymore unlike the first time it happened… just a day after he had confessed his true feelings for Yongguk. But Himchan still keeps his hopes high for something—anything to happen. And it's not like Himchan doesn't have anything to die for. He clearly has a very distinct look and an adorable personality that would surely melt other people easily but then again, Yongguk isn't the easiest to please too, and he certainly isn't 'other people'.

 

"Yongguk-ah, why are you so cold towards that Kim Himchan? Aren't you guys like, best friends since childhood?" Yongguk's friend, Jongup, asks the latter one day.

 

Scoffing, Yongguk replies, "It's the fact that he's been with me ever since we were young that makes me so annoyed whenever he's around. I just want him to stay away from me for once!"

 

Miraculously the next day, and the next 6 months, Yongguk stops seeing Himchan anywhere near his sight. It is almost as if Himchan is taken away to some place far away from Yongguk's eyes.

 

For a while, Yongguk is extremely relieved to have been given this taste of freedom. He is relieved that he is no longer bounded by that little creature that has always followed him around like a lost puppy. Yongguk thinks he is having the time of his life, going anywhere at ease without Himchan clinging onto his arm and trying to get his attention and all those little things that Himchan always does.

 

But at one point, Yongguk starts to wonder. Where is Himchan? Who is he with? Why does he suddenly stop hanging around him? Is everything okay? Is he okay? These questions are starting to bother Yongguk one by one at the back of his mind. If he was fine being by himself before this, he certainly is not fine now. Not that he will ever admit it to himself, but Yongguk knows that he might just miss having Himchan around him again. In fact, Yongguk might miss him a lot.

 

 One fateful evening though, as if fate wants to bring them back together, Yongguk finally spots Himchan sitting alone on a bench just as he exits the 7 Eleven. He stops in his track for a moment but quickly makes his way towards the latter.

 

Yongguk is now standing in front of Himchan—the boy doesn’t utter a single word.

 

“Hey, Himchan. It’s me. Where have you been?” Yongguk finally finds it in himself to start the conversation as he claims the empty seat beside Himchan, uninvited.

 

“… Yongguk? Is that you, Yongguk?”

 

Such a weak voice coming from the once vibrant young man.

 

“Of course it’s me.  What do you mean?” Yongguk laughs nervously, now sensing that something isn’t right. He pushes the thought away as he examines the face he undeniably missed.

 

“In case you haven’t noticed, I’m now blind, Yongguk.”

 

 

… what?

 

 

Uneasy, Yongguk jumps out of his seat in reflex, “What the are you talking about, Himchan? Stop talking crap! What do you mean you’re now blind? I just saw you— ”

 

“—you just saw me? You mean, you just saw me 6 months ago? That’s half a year, Yongguk. A lot of things can happen in half a year—a lot of things did happened half a year ago,” Himchan sounds so bitter. Never have Yongguk ever heard that tone of voice from him.

 

Yongguk gulps. His vision suddenly becomes blurry and when it finally comes back to him, his eyes are made focused on the walking stick parked neatly beside Himchan. Yongguk backs away slowly, shaking his head all the while.

 

 

This can’t be true!

 

 

“Listen, I’m sorry for all the troubles I’ve caused you before this. When I begged you to hang out with me every single day, it’s actually because I was scared I could forget what you look like when I couldn’t see you anymore. When I followed you around everywhere, I actually wanted to see the views that you see while I still can… and when I cling onto your arms—though I knew you hated it—it’s actually because I was starting to lose my sights and that I couldn’t see clearly anymore. I’m sorry I annoyed you to the point that you want me to stay away from you.”

 

Yongguk suddenly remembers what he said to Jongup.

 

 

“I just want him to stay away from me for once!"

 

 

The words echo in his mind over and over again. If only he could take back those words, Yongguk would do anything to make sure Himchan never has to hear them. Though he is filled with endless regrets, Yongguk knows he could not do anything about it—the damage has been done.

 

“… and now that I’m blind, I assure you that I will leave you alone… because I don’t want to cause any more troubles to you. You’re a good friend Yongguk, I’m the bad one for wanting more from you. I love you. Goodbye,” Himchan settles as he grabs his walking stick and slowly fading away from Yongguk’s sights.

 

“NO, HIMCHAN! COME BACK HERE! DON’T LEAVE ME! PLEASE DON’T LEA—”

 

 

“I never left in the first place. What are you talking about?”

 

 

Yongguk’s eyes flutters open. He sees that same face that he missed so much and he recognizes the voice, the tone is so much more familiar compared to the one that was in his dream just now—wait, so it was just a dream?

 

 

“HIMCHAN!”

 

 

 Yongguk literally throws himself on Himchan and gives him the warmest hug ever. The other latter is obviously puzzled and it might take him a little while but Himchan finally let out a confused smile.

 

“Well this is new. What happened to you?” Himchan fights hard not to laugh as he feels Yongguk’s grips tighten a little harder and that he is now resting his head rather comfortably on Himchan’s shoulder.

 

“Promise me one thing—actually, promise me two things! Promise me you’ll never leave me alone. Promise me you’ll tell me everything, especially if you were about to go blind. Okay, Himchan? Can you do that for me?”

 

Breaking the hug for a while so that he could take a good look at Yongguk, Himchan raises a brow but smiles at the same time, “I have no idea what happened to you but okay, I can do that.”

 

 

“Okay, great. Now hug me back.”

 

 

To wrap things up, before Yongguk went to sleep that night, Himchan had to convince him a million times on the phone that when he wakes up the next day, Himchan would still be by his side—and that he obviously won’t be blind… well, unless someone sticks a fork in his eyes, that’s a different story.

 

 

But for now, just like the saying ‘You’ll never know what you have until it’s gone’, Yongguk is starting to appreciate having Himchan in his life. Slowly but surely. And maybe, just maybe… one day he’ll learn to accept Himchan’s feelings, too.

 

You’ll never know.

 

 

THE END.