Final

Let's Try Again

 The musk of him. The sound of his voice floating through the air. The sound of the shower. His body underneath and above. The shape of shoulders and the bumps in his spine when he curled around Baekhyun. It was all so familiar. The feeling of the cold wedding ring over Baekhyun's body. Heavy breaths. Sweet nothings. He loved it.

Then the glamour shattered. Disappeared.
The sound of yelling. A silent house. It became filled with Baekhyun's sobs. A dog curled at Baekhyun's side; his only source of warmth. The sheets were cold. Chanyeol's snores drifted up from the living room. Baekhyun reached a hand to a picture frame. he sat up and turned the light on. Tears streaked his face. He ran a hand over the photograph.
​Their wedding photo.
Glass shattered. Large pieces littered the ground. The dog stayed out of the room. Its whinning was unheard. Baekhyun cried. The wedding photo was kicked under a nighstand. Never to be seen for years. Chanyeol slammed the door close. The engine roared. He was gone. Baekhyun believed his husband would never walk through the door again.
​A gold wedding band clatters to the ground.
​What was once lazy nights on the couch turned into drinking. Pill bottles to keep depression at bay. Concealer to cover the dark circles. Tissues piled in the trash. The world was grey.
​The tub filled with blood.
​A car crash, said the news. A man, age twenty-three. Drunk and driving. Baekhyun did not care. The man in the passenger seat was named Park Chanyeol, they said. The phone rang. Baekhyun picked it up. Tears filled his eyes once more for the man who left him.
​He put on the discarded wedding band.
​The white hospital walls suffocated. A heart monitor beeped. Chanyeol breathed in and out. A mask helped. A scar ran up his chest. Stiched, but gruesome. Face littered with bruises. Baekhyun still saw the man he had loved. Something glinted by his side. A gold wedding band on his left ring finger.
​Chanyeol opened his eyes.
​It was too late for them. But they held hands. Down the aisle. Chanyeol with a crutch. The pews vacant. A pastor stood with a box on a posh velvet pillow. They stood face to face. Baekhyun in a white tux. Chanyeol in a black. The pastor said a few words and opened the box.
​I do, slipped from their lips.
 

Sorry I haven't been writing recently. School has taken up 99% of my time.