Summer

Field Day: Four Seasons of You

This summer, it rained a lot, but that didn't stop the two boys from playing outside. It was always soccer, and it was always in the field. And Hongbin always won. Sometimes it would bother Jaehwan, but, eventually, he just started to accept it. Hongbin was really, really good.

“You should try out for the school team!”

“You think?”

Hongbin still was quiet, reserved, and didn't say much. But him and Jaehwan were close. Words weren't needed as much. Back in school, they would always sit next to each other. Now, in the summer, they were always at each other’s houses.

One day, Hongbin came up with a flyer in his hands.

“They’re having an international firework show next week. I bet we can see it from the field we always play in.”

And like that, they had plans together. Hongbin typically wouldn't be the one to make plans, it would be me, so I was surprised, but I figured he really wanted to see it and I couldn't say no. I wanted to see it too, anyway.

When the day for the show came, we spent the whole day together. We wandered over to the main area which was crowded. We weaved through them, and my hand slid naturally into his so I wouldn't lose him. My heart started racing. At then I thought it was just the excitement of the situation and the eagerness to get a funnel cake.

Both boys headed back over to the field when it started to get dark out. Hongbin was nibbling on his pizza; Jaehwan gobbled down his funnel cake. The blanket was already spread out on the ground and they were alone. They sat down and continued eating.

“Why don't you talk much?” Jaehwan asked. He always seemed to be the one rambling on and on and Hongbin would just listen.

Hongbin simply shrugged. “Not much to say, I guess.”

“Well...try!”

“Um…” he took another bite of his pizza while he thought. “The stars are pretty tonight. I hope the fireworks are just as pretty.”

Jaehwan didn't even respond. “I'm glad we are alone here. It looked to crowded over there.”

“Funny. You seem like the kind of person who would like crowds.”

“So do you,” Jaehwan replied. Hongbin made a face. He didn't really get what the older boy meant, so Jaehwan tried to explain, “I mean, you look popular.” Hongbin blinked. “Like. Attractive.” He blinked again. “Top of the social ladder type of guy.”

That's when Hongbin laughed. “Oh, yes. I'm swarmed with tons of people dying to play soccer with me.’

“Well they would be if they knew how good you were.”

And that's when the five minute warning firework went off in the sky. Both boys settled onto the blanket, close to each other, snuggled up close because suddenly it got chilly.

I think I do a great imitation of a mosquito, and I tried doing it by Hongbin’s ear. I thought I sounded great, but he just swatted me away with another laugh.

The first fireworks lit up the sky. Sometime during the show, my hand slid back into his and I could hear the blood pounding in my ears, louder than the fireworks. I liked this. I liked being next to him, having a friend as close to him. And I didn't want to move. I wanted to stay with him there, under the stars and the colorful, exploding lights forever. Come fall, I finally figured out why that was.