Good morning. (Unedited!)

Two halves make a whole.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Second year of college for Junhoe consists of rushing assignments before deadlines, irregular mealtimes (sometimes at the peak of dawn after burning midnight oil) and chronic sleep deprivation.   

Waking up to breakfast is never one of them. Sadly. 

  The smell of mouth-watering pancakes that is wafting in the air disintegrates Junhoe's fixity of purpose at a whiff of it. He wants to sleep some more, because it is the start of weekend. However, he traipses to where Jiwon is, because his beauty sleep has been disturbed.    He rubs an eye, catches sight of the older pan-frying a piece of pancake in a pad of melted butter. Jiwon is cooking on an electric stove that is set on the coffee table, at twelve o'clock of the couch. For the reason that it is eight in the morning, Jiwon demurs at the idea of making breakfast in the cramped kitchen. He can jolly well sit his arse down on the carpet and flip pancakes, dish out breakfast which is to equivalent to getting his job done and not break a sweat.   Work hard? No. Work smart. This is basically the quote Jiwon lived by for his whole life. If he can choose not to do something, then hell, he won't do it. It is clear-cut that he is not "always going for that extra mile" kind of guy.    "Help yourself." Jiwon says, as he sees a figure approaching. Before Junhoe is up, he has already made a stack of fluffy pancakes, waiting for Junhoe to join him.    Junhoe yawns, "Don't mind if I do." He sits in front of Jiwon, doing some cat stretching while the other boy ladles the last scoop of batter onto the hot sizzling skillet.    Just then, the doorbell rings.    Jiwon bridles a laughter. Junhoe's eyebrows are so closely knitted together, if Jiwon is not looking carefully, he might have mistaken Junhoe with a monobrow. Junhoe barely presses his on the floor for a minute before the bell rings. Who is going to get the door, you ask? This is a no-brainer.    Junhoe wails, tumultuously. Jiwon's suffering ends after a short thirty-three seconds, to be precise.    Cooking is not Junhoe's claim to fame. Two years in college and he had never the stove to actually stop the hunger when he skipped a meal to get work done or when the duration from previous bite was too off-the-clock. Especially when the cafeteria was closed and he ran out of frozen food, he would flop down on his bed, willing the hunger to go away.    He was stupid and he still is.   Junhoe swings the door open and he meets one of Jiwon's friends.    He remembers the jovial boy, because he is always ever-so-willing to share, from gums to notes. A naïve angel, Junhoe will give Yunhyeong the honour of bearing this title.   "Hello!" Yunhyeong greets Junhoe with much enthusiasm.    Yunhyeong is too cheery for any morning person, but Junhoe can't decide on whether he dislikes it or not. It is an enormous burst of energy and youth that Junhoe deficients in. Junhoe is never a morning person and honestly, he don't care. Never did and never will. In his viewpoint, anytime before noon is unreasonably early for any human being to function. Which is partially one of the reasons to why Junhoe does not eat breakfast. He can't wake up. (Moreover, screw breakfast. Junhoe has an appetite of a pig, small plate of whatever he can find in his fridge will never be enough and there is only so much he can stuffs into the microwave before he blows a fuse.)    "Hello, uh, you're Yunhyeong right?" Junhoe bows, slightly, still not fully awake.   "This is for you!" Despite Yunhyeong's loud uplifting voice, he handle things in a rather cautious manner. He propels Junhoe a paper bag of something. Junhoe lifts a brow. "Fetched coffees for you guys."    Junhoe does not want to sound like a douchebag, but Yunhyeong has no reason to do this for them.   Sensing the barely awake boy's skepticism, Yunhyeong quickly assures Junhoe, "Hyung told me to." He leisurely unveils a smile with that being said.    "Ah, I see," Junhoe says. "Thank you." And then he mirrors Yunhyeong, though a morsel dimmer with the same warm glow.    "You're welcome!" Yeah, Yunhyeong definitely is an angel.   Just as Yunhyeong takes his leave, Junhoe calls for the other boy before he gets further.    "Oh, and Yunhyeong?" He raises his voice a tad louder. "I'll have Jiwon to be at your service one day, I'm sure he owed you an overwhelming amount of favours."    And Yunhyeong wears a genuine smile, waving at Junhoe, cheerfully.   Junhoe waves his hand a little.    When Junhoe returns, Jiwon is already stuffing his face into his own serving of breakfast. Junhoe scrunches his face in disgust.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter