Off To The Races

On The Wild Side

Off To The Races

My old man is a bad man

But I can't deny the way he holds my hand

And he grabs me, he has me, by my heart

 

The sound of slot machines goes off in the distance but he doesn’t care. Silky blonde locks reflect the amber lighting, and slender fingers slide cards across the table. He keeps his expression straight, sipping smooth whiskey on ice. Tao rolls his neck, throws the cards down.

There’s a young man watching him, handsome, tall, sharp features watching him from a distance.

Royal flush.

 

He doesn't mind I have a Las Vegas past

He doesn't mind I have a LA crass

Way about me, he loves me, with every beat of his heart

 

The water is pleasantly cool on the heated night, underneath the stars; his toned arms cut through the crystal clear waters.  Tao can feel Kris’ eyes watching his movements beneath the surface of the water. He twists deliberately, showing off his lean torso, sharp hips, thick thighs. The white spandex of his tight shorts leave nothing to the imagination.

 Kris shifts in the deck chair, tilting back a glass of champagne, letting it burn his throat as he enjoys the view.

 

Swimming pool glimmering, darling

White bikini off with my red nail polish

Watch me in the swimming pool

Bright blue ripples, you sittin', sippin' on your black cristal, yeah

 

Kris knows Tao is in it for the money, but he wouldn’t have it any other way.

Tao keeps him running back for more; leaving each morning, but Kris knows where to find him.

He’s whipped, he knows it, but the knowledge is nothing new. He lives and breathes to have Tao by his side.

Even when he wakes up to yet another empty wallet, and another emptier heart.

 

Light of my life, fire of my loins

Be a good baby, do what I want

Light of my life, fire of my loins

Give me them gold coins, give me them coins

 

“Stealing again, Tao? Isn’t this getting a little old?”

“Of course not, Officer,” Tao flashes a flawless smile, lips curving at the corners. The bottle of crudely mixed Bacardi and black soda, stolen straight from the case, sits in the corner. Almost got away with it.

He’s coming.

Kris is coming.

Kris will bail him out again. For the nth time this month.

“It’s the alcohol,” Tao would say, “I wasn’t aware I was stealing.” Locked up in a cell, he sits and waits, because he knows Kris will come back and rescue him, the damsel in distress.

When he shows up, and everything is dealt with, Tao pulls him close by his tie, sliding a single red rose into Kris’ pocket, and landing a wet, messy kiss on his lips, right in front of the Officer in charge.

 

And I'm off to the races, cases of Bacardi chasers

Chasin' me all over town 'cause he knows I'm wasted

Facin' time again on Rikers Island and I won't get out

Because I'm crazy baby,

I need you to come here and save me

I'm your little scarlet, starlet, singin' in the garden

Kiss me on my open mouth

Ready for you

 

When they sit, alone in Kris’ black Mercedes, Tao questions him relentlessly.

It’s the same every time.

Tao frowns, his forehead creased in worry.

“Do you still love me?”

It’s the same every time.

“I do.”

“Even when I’m with someone else; even when I can’t afford to eat; even when I steal; even when I drink till sunrise?”

“I do, Tao,” Kris leans over, tracing his jawline with a finger, “I love you.”

 

My old man is a tough man

But he got a soul as sweet as blood red jam

And he shows me, he knows me, every inch of my tar black soul

He doesn't mind I have a flat, broke-down life

In fact, he says he thinks it's what he might like

About me, admires me, the way I roll like a rolling stone

 

The steam from the shower fogs the mirror, and Tao swipes it clear. A fine comb through wet locks, a warm breeze from a hairdryer.

A pressed white shirt, a red silk tie, belonging to Kris; but it’s his for tonight.

Just like how Kris is his for the night.

Tao snaps open one compact after the other, thin layers of color on his golden skin. A spritz of Chanel no.5, a gift from Kris.

He sips a little of the elder’s cognac, in a deep set glass, sliding onto Kris’ lap, running his fingers through blonde hair that isn’t his own.

Secrets kept in hotel rooms.

 

He likes to watch me in the glass room, bathroom, Chateau Marmont

Slippin' on my red dress, puttin' on my makeup

Glass room, perfume, cognac, lilac fumes

Says it feels like heaven to him

Tao knows Kris needs him. What Kris doesn’t know is that Tao needs him just as much.

Even when he takes his payment, when he leaves him alone in their rented hotel room.

He leaves but Kris will find him. Kris has already marked him.

There is no running away.

 

Light of his life, fire of his loins

Keep me forever, tell me you own me

Light of your life, fire of your loins

Tell me you own me, give me them coins

 

“Third time in two weeks. You can’t keep doing this,” Kris frowns, concern etched on his handsome face.

“..I don’t do it without reason.”

“If you really need something, you can ask me.”

Tao frowns at him once again. “You don’t owe me anything. There is no reason for me to ask.”

“You don’t have to keep on stealing- I know –it’s a habit. But I can’t keep bailing you out of jail like this.”

I don’t ask you to!,” Tao growls at him. “I don’t ask you for anything. You are not mine to keep, and neither am I yours.”

Soon.

Kris leans over and captures Tao’s mouth in a sweet kiss, and Tao almost feels like he’s normal.

 

And I'm off to the races, cases of Bacardi chasers

Chasin' me all over town 'cause he knows I'm wasted

Facin' time again on Rikers Island and I won't get out

Because I'm crazy baby, I need you to come here and save me

I'm your little scarlet, starlet, singin' in the garden

Kiss me on my open mouth

 

The corset is pulled tight. Laced up until he can’t breathe. Last client, last client they say.

Tao has to keep going, keep going. He’ll meet Kris after this.

Last client of the day. Last client of his life.

A swanky restaurant in a different city, New York tonight.

He won’t lie, won’t steal anymore. After tonight, Kris will own him forever.

I’m sorry

 

Yo I'm off to the races, laces,

Leather on my waist is tight and I am falling down

I can see your face is shameless

Cipriani's basement, love you but I'm going down

God I'm so crazy baby, I'm sorry that I'm misbehaving

I'm your little harlot, starlet, queen of Coney Island

Raisin' hell all over town

Sorry 'bout it

 

He got away with it.

Kris steals Tao away, into the night. It doesn’t matter if they’re hunted down, as long as he’s got Kris by his side.

“Are you leaving tonight?”

“Where would I go.” A statement, not a question.

“I can take care of you.”

Tao looks out the window, watches the city flash by, as he leaves his life behind.

 

My old man is a thief and I'm gonna stay and pray with him till the end

But I trust in the decision of the Lord to watch over us

Take him when he may, if he may

I'm not afraid to say that I'd die without him

Who else is going to put up with me this way?

I need you, I breathe you, I'd never leave you

They would rue the day I was alone without you

 

Silk sheets around his bare waist. The corset was long discarded. Shredded and left in a Dumpster in NY.

Tao reaches for one of the discarded shirts on the floor; it’s Kris’.

Deftly doing up the buttons, he wanders out to the balcony, cold breeze in the air. Kris looks good in the morning, and he feels a little regretful at missing all those times. He’s smoking, the wisps of gray smoke disappearing in the air.

Tao wraps him arms around Kris’ waist, leaning against his back; takes a deep breath.

He smells of smoke and cologne.

“Still here?” Kris doesn’t turn around, but winds his fingers with Tao’s.

“I won’t leave.”

Kris smiles to himself in the wake of dawn.

“You never looked so beautiful as you do now, my man.”

 

 

You're lyin' with your gold chain on

Cigar hangin' from your lips

I said, "Hun, you never looked so beautiful as you do now, my man".

 

Back in his black Mercedes, back to Las Vegas.

Casino by the beachside.

Where it all began.

Kris’ wheels spin on the pavement, as they pull out and drive.

The sound of the slot machines reminds him of the day they met.

 

And we're off to the races, places

Ready, set, the gate is down and now we’re going in

To Las Vegas, chaos, casino oasis

Honey it is time to spin

Boy you’re so crazy baby

 

Tao holds the key to Kris’ heart in his palm.

Given, not stolen.

Almost got away with it.

I love you forever, not maybe

You are my one true love

You are my one true love

 

You are my one true love

 

Off To The Races.