final

Pick Me Up, Put Me Down

Class starts at 12:10.

 

Jongin hasn’t even left his dorm room yet, and it’s 12:15.

 

“Come on! Please, please, please, please, please,” Jongin chants, bouncing on the balls of his feet with each word he says as if this will somehow make time slow down and the damn elevator hurry the up.

 

The elevator bell rings, announcing its arrival. As soon as the elevator door opens, Jongin rushes in—

 

— only to run into a smaller boy, knocking him straight into the ground.

 

“Sorry!” Jongin wails, his hands jumping to his face in horror. “I’m so sorry I’m a stupid little freshman oh my gosh here let me help you up—”

 

“Please breathe,” The other boy deadpans, climbing to his feet and dusting off his pants. He presses the button to reopen the elevator door and steps out, making his way down the same hall that Jongin just came from.

 

“I’m so sorry!” Jongin calls after him.

 

The boy looks behind his shoulder, stony-faced. “Watch where you’re going next time.”

 

“Will do!” Jongin salutes at him right before the doors close, and then slams that hand right into his face. Did he just salute? Who the salutes? Why is his life so sad?

 

Jongin checks his phone. 12:19.

 

.








 

The next time it happens, it is because Jongin’s face is buried into his cellphone.

 

Wow Sehun are you ing serious,” Jongin seethes to himself, jabbing at the buttons of his phone with all the rage of someone trying to communicate his anger over text message. “If— you— eat— all— of— my— Doritos— I— will— castrate— you—” He reads out loud as he types, eyebrows scrunched together.

 

The elevator bell sounds, and Jongin walks forward without looking— and bumps into someone’s chest.

 

Startled, he drops his phone, and immediately dives to save it. Hunched over his cellphone on the ground, checking it for injuries, it is there that he looks up at his attacker to see who it is.

 

Round eyes, thick eyebrows, a disgruntled expression. It’s the same boy as last time.

 

Jongin straightens up immediately. “Hi.”

 

He is glaring up at him, eyes narrowed and expression terrifying.

 

Jongin is scared.

 

“Xiumin is okay,” Jongin says to try and break the ice, gesturing to his phone with his free hand.

 

The boy’s mouth quirks to the side. “You named your phone?”

 

“It’s a cool name,” Jongin says defensively.

 

He shrugs. “Whatever you say.” With that, he slips past Jongin and heads to his room.

 

Jongin watches him walk away for a few seconds and then lets out an annoyed huff. He had been so rude. Sure, the first time it had been Jongin’s fault… and the second time had kinda been Jongin’s fault too… but not as much! This time it had only been like 95% his fault. The other boy could have said something. Like screamed a warning in the millisecond before they crashed into each other.

 

Definitely at least 5% his fault.

 

Xiumin buzzes in his hand, and he looks down to read the text that Sehun just sent.

 

Oh Sehun (Sent 4:16PM)

Sorry

 

Oh Sehun (Sent 4:16PM)

You know how much i love doritos








 

Jongin is in the cafeteria with Zitao and Sehun, enjoying a peaceful lunch before a certain boy and his friend rudely enter the room and line up for food.

 

“Oh my god it’s him,” Jongin hisses under his breath, lifting his sandwich to cover his face.

 

“Who?” Zitao asks, lifting his head and staring blatantly into the direction that Jongin is looking. “Who is ‘him’?”

 

“The scary elevator guy I told you guys about,” Jongin says, now trying to pile his salad in a way that he can hide behind. “The one who wants to kill me because I keep bumping into him.” His two idiot friends are still confused on who exactly to look at, so he helpfully adds, “He is the murderer in the Mickey Mouse shirt.”

 

Sehun tilts his head to the side. “He’s kinda hot,” He finally says offhandedly.

 

Jongin’s mouth falls open. “Whose side are you on? Mine or his?”

 

“His, obviously.” Sehun steals one of Zitao’s fries. “I would help him murder you to be honest.”

 

“LOL,” Zitao says before cracking up uncontrollably.

 

Sehun stares at him for a few seconds before turning to Jongin. “Who taught him what that meant again? Was it you or me?”

 

“Pretty sure it was you.”

 

“Damn.” Sehun shakes his head. “Well, YOLO, I guess.”

 

“What does that mean?” Zitao asks, eyes big.

 

Don’t.” Jongin slaps a hand over Sehun’s mouth.








 

Jongin hums inside the elevator, hands inside his pockets.

 

The elevator comes to a stop at the ground floor. It pauses for a moment, and then the door opens.

 

Jongin walks out.

 

He then skids to a stop in front of that same boy. This time, the boy is with one of his friends. Jongin’s eyes flicker up and down this new person’s body, vague familiarity trickling in the back of his mind, before recognizing him as the guy who had been with the elevator boy in the cafeteria.

 

“Every single time,” The boy mutters. “Come on, Jongdae.”

 

“Jongdae” shoots Jongin a curious look before following the other boy into the elevator.

 

Jongin waits for the elevator doors to shut before yelling, “It’s not like I want to see your grumpy face every time I use the elevator!”

 

Huffing angrily to himself, he crosses his arms and stomps off to class.








 

Jongin is in the kitchen of his dorm floor, doing his homework, when he sees the elevator door open from outside the glass wall. That same boy steps out; immediately, he catches sight of Jongin staring at him. The latter squeaks and drops his gaze to his homework. He writes furiously across his paper, pretending to be completely immersed in his studies, but really just scribbling “I’m too pretty to die” as many times as possible.

 

There is a telltale squeaking as the kitchen door opens, and Jongin doesn't have to look to know who it is.

 

Out of the corner of his eyes, he watches the boy walk over to the fridge and pull out a Tupperware box of leftovers. He then crosses the room and takes off the top before sticking it into the microwave. The sound of the old microwave whirring fills the room. Jongin realizes he had stopped writing when the other boy entered the room.

 

“The elevator,” The boy says suddenly. Jongin looks up against his will and spots the other, arms crossed and leaning against the wall. Sehun’s voice flashes through his mind: “He’s kinda hot.” And that had been before Sehun had seen this: the boy’s sleeves rolled up a little above his elbows, his collarbones peeking out from under his button-up shirt, his full lips pulled up at the corner into a little smirk that Jongin wouldn’t mind kissing off his face—

 

Not now, brain.

 

“The elevator doors are pretty thin,” The boy continues. “It’s really easy to hear what’s going on inside.” Jongin has a stupid expression on his face, because he has no idea where this is going, so the boy clarifies. “Or right outside, if you’re inside the elevator.”

 

Jongin is still lost.

 

“I heard what you said this morning. About my grumpy face,” The boy says flatly.

 

Mortification floods hotly up Jongin’s neck and into his face.

 

The microwave finishes its cycle, and the boy takes out his food. He nods at Jongin. “Have fun with your notes about how you’re too pretty to die.”

 

He leaves. Jongin slams his face repeatedly into the table in hopes that he can hit his head hard enough to forget everything that has just happened.








 

“You should say sorry,” Zitao says, right after Jongin finishes his wild and slightly exaggerated account of how the boy cornered him in the kitchen to warn him that he had heard what he said and will not rest until Jongin is terminated.

 

Jongin tries to convey his disbelief of Zitao’s solution, but all that can come out of his mouth is “Aaslkdjflsjdf?”
 

“You probably hurt his feelings,” Zitao continues, explaining with his hands flapping around him. “You called him grumpy. He didn’t even do anything to you.”

 

“Are you serious?” Jongin protests. “I didn’t do anything either!”


“You said he was grumpy,” Zitao reminds him.

 

Flabbergasted, Jongin turns to Sehun. “Stop painting your nails like a twelve year old girl and back me up here!”

 

Sehun looks up from his fingers to shoot him a scathing look. “It’s to strengthen them, . Real men understand the importance of revitalizing their nails with extra calcium.”

 

“Do my toes,” Zitao says, wiggling said appendages.

 

“Guys,” Jongin whines. “We’re talking about my problem, remember?”

 

Zitao puts a hand on Jongin’s shoulder. “Just think. You might have made him cry in his room for two straight hours,” Tao says, completely serious. “Isn’t it better to say sorry just in case?”

 

“I doubt that me calling him ‘grumpy’ made him cry for two hours,” Jongin says dryly.

 

“Jongin.” Tao’s eyes are burning into him. “This is serious.”

 

“I don’t want to say sorry,” Jongin states stubbornly.

 

“Call him ‘daddy’ next time,” Sehun calls over helpfully. “A bad memory plus a good memory will just neutralize things, right?”

 

Zitao kicks Sehun in the back.








 

Jongin has just washed his hands and is heading out the bathroom when that boy appears in the doorway. He stops, hands still slightly wet, and stares. The boy is only wearing boxers. He is definitely more filled out than he had appeared to be, his shoulders firm and biceps curved around taut muscle. The moles on his neck stand out in stark contrast against the paleness of his skin. His eyes peer up at Jongin, dark and wide. And, oh no, his thighs—

 

The other raises an eyebrow, and Jongin thinks it’s the iest thing he’s ever seen. “Mind getting out of the way?” He asks. Jongin has never realized how low his voice is.

 

“Daddy—” Jongin blurts out, and then claps both hands over his mouth, eyes widening.

 

“What?”

 

“I meant,” Jongin takes a deep breath. “I’m sorry!”

 

The boy is frozen in front of him, frowning, so Jongin just plunges forward. “I said things that I really shouldn’t have the other day, and I just wanted you to know that I didn’t mean them. I don’t think you have a grumpy face. Well, actually, I kinda do, but that’s not a bad thing, you know? Your grumpy face is hot— no, wait, not like hot hot but—”

 

“I have astigmatism,” The boy interrupts Jongin’s wild monologue. “People tell me that I look mad, but it’s because I can’t see that well.”

 

Jongin stops. “Oh.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

There is an awkward pause. Then, the boy sticks out his hand. “I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo. “I’m Kim Jongin.”

 

They shake hands.

 

“Well, I really need to shower.” Kyungsoo shifts his weight to his other foot. “I’ll see you later.”

 

“Okay.” Jongin nods eagerly. “Bye, Kyungsoo!”

 

Kyungsoo stops and looks over his shoulder at Jongin. He smirks. “It’s Kyungsoo hyung to you, freshman.”

 

It takes every ounce of Jongin’s control not to scream like a fangirl.








 

“You said sorry?” Zitao asks, joy pitching his voice up several octaves higher than normal.

 

“I did!” Jongin says happily. “And you were right, actually, it felt pretty good. So now we’re friends, and everything is really good.”

 

Zitao ruffles his hair fondly. “I’m really proud of you.”

 

Sehun stares at Jongin. “He is leaving something out of the story,” He says decisively.

 

“How do you know?” Zitao asks, eyes wide.

 

Sehun grimaces. “Unfortunately, I’ve been his neighbor since preschool. I’d be able to tell if his breathing was faster than normal.” He crawls over to Jongin and plants his on the other’s stomach. Jongin makes a noise of protest, but Sehun refuses to budge. “Spill.”

 

Jongin looks wildly for an exit, but there is none. Gritting his teeth and refusing to meet Sehun’s eyes, he admits grudgingly, “I may have… accidentally called him ‘daddy’.”

 

Sehun nearly falls off the bed from laughing so hard.








 

He can’t help it: as soon as the call ends, Jongin starts to cry.

 

He goes into the elevator, wiping at his tears with his sleeves. He is hiccuping in a way that is slightly pathetic, even to himself. He doesn’t want to go back to his room, because Sehun and Zitao are there and they would make this a bigger deal than it needed to be, but he doesn’t know where else to go. Crying in public seems inappropriate as well.

 

The elevator doors open on his floor, and Jongin steps out, gaze lowered to the ground. There are feet in his way. He looks up hesitantly.

 

Kyungsoo is standing in front of him. His expression is a mixture of surprise and concern; obviously because of the way that Jongin is crying in front of him. “Are you okay?” He asks, eyes widening.

 

Jongin tries to lie, but his bottom lip juts out even  more and his eyes flood with tears. “It’s nothing,” He mumbles, pressing the back of his hands to his face. “It’s really nothing.”

 

Kyungsoo eyes him thoughtfully. “I was just going to check my mailbox,” He finally says. “But I suddenly really want to watch a movie.”

 

Jongin looks at him, confused.

 

“Do you want to join me?” Kyungsoo asks gently.

 

It takes a few seconds, but Jongin nods. Kyungsoo breaks into a dazzling smile and then motions at the younger boy to follow him. “My dorm is this way.”


They enter the room, and Kyungsoo immediately sits on his bed. He pats the space next to him. “Come.”

 

Jongin curls up on the mattress next to Kyungsoo. The latter pulls his laptop on his legs and starts to look for a movie. He talks throughout the entire time, his hand Jongin’s knee reassuringly. “Do you like action movies? Have you seen this one yet? It’s actually really good… did you know, this actor even does his own stunts….”

 

Kyungsoo starts the movie, and then props the laptop on a textbook. The hand that was on Jongin’s knee moves so that his arm is around Jongin’s shoulder. “Is this okay?” He asks, looking straight into Jongin’s eyes as he speaks.

 

Jongin nods. As they watch, his head gradually drifts. Soon, it’s settled on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. Kyungsoo rubs his thumb against Jongin’s skin, eyes still fixed on the movie.

 

It’s only after the movie ends (Kyungsoo had been right; it was very good) that Kyungsoo finally asks. “If you don’t mind telling me,” He starts, voice soft in a way that makes Jongin melt closer into his hyung. “What happened?”

 

Jongin squirms; he is a bit embarrassed. “I just… really missed my family all of a sudden?” He admits. He bounces his knee out of nervousness. “I don’t know, I haven’t seen them two months… and this is my first time being away from home….”

 

Kyungsoo nods understandingly. “I get it. Honestly,” He laughs, a little bit embarrassed. It’s not as deep as Jongin expected, but actually pitches upwards at the end in bashfulness. It’s the kind of honest sound that comes from true joyfulness. It makes Jongin laugh as well. “I cried a lot in my freshman year.”

 

“Really?” Jongin asks.

 

“Trust me, if I were going to lie I would have lied to make myself seem cooler,” Kyungsoo says dryly. “I cried like this.” And then Kyungsoo screws his face into such an ugly expression that sends Jongin into a spiral of cackles, rolling over on the bed because his stomach hurts from laughing too much.

 

It turns out that Kyungsoo isn’t the mature, emotionless upperclassman that Jongin had originally thought he was.

 

But if anything, that makes Jongin like him more.








 

They make it a weekly “thing”.


Or that is what Sehun calls it, at least. And nondescript as it is, it fits. The “thing”: every Thursday afternoon, Jongin and Kyungsoo watch a movie together in the older boy’s room.

 

They don’t really touch after the first time. Instead, Kyungsoo hands Jongin a pillow and they lie on their stomachs, watching mostly in silence. Neither of them are particular about movie genres; they watch everything from action to thrillers to romantic comedies. They even once watch a tragedy, and this is the one time that Kyungsoo lets Jongin crawl into his lap and cry into his neck.

 

“You should have given him a hickey,” Sehun says after Jongin shyly tells his two roommates what had happened that movie night.

 

Jongin turns pink. “It’s not like that! I told you already!” He snaps, swatting a hand against Sehun’s bicep.

 

“Then give him a hickey that spells out ‘it’s not like that’.”

 

Zitao helps Jongin suffocate Sehun with their pillows.

 

But Sehun’s words make Jongin think. He glances over at Kyungsoo more than usual after that, shy but curious. He likes being with Kyungsoo, but not in the same way that he likes being with Sehun and Zitao. There is something different about it, a constant pull and push in their interactions that makes him feeling unsatisfied. When he hangs out with Kyungsoo like this, Jongin always wants more.

 

But he doesn’t know how to describe it.


All Jongin knows for sure is that he wants to spend more time with Kyungsoo.









 

Jongin is heading back to his dorm with Sehun when he sees a familiar figure walking in front of them. “Kyungsoo hyung!” He calls. When Kyungsoo and his friend, Jongdae if Jongin remembers correctly, turn around, he waves his arms over his head excitedly.

 

Sehun’s eyes narrow in confusion, but Jongin is already pulling at his hand so that they can jog and catch up to their two sunbaes. “Hey, Jongin,” Kyungsoo greets him. “This is my friend Jongdae.”


Jongdae smiles, his eyes curving prettily and lips parting to show straight teeth. Why are all of Kyungsoo’s friends so hot? “Nice to meet you guys!”

 

“Nice to meet you,” Sehun drawls, eyes flickering up Jongdae’s body.
 

“This is my roommate, Sehun,” Jongin gestures at the boy who is standing next to him, attempting to comprehend the attractiveness of both Jongdae and Kyungsoo. “I have another roommate, Zitao, but he’s in class right now.”

 

“Freshman year triples,” Jongdae sighs. The movement makes Sehun’s gaze lock on his adam’s apple. “Kyungsoo had the worst roommates.”

 

“They wouldn’t stop screwing,” Kyungsoo says flatly.

 

Jongdae snickers. “Did it make you lonely, Soo?”

 

“I can fix that,” Sehun blurts out.

 

Jongin glares at him and elbows him in the ribs. The thought of Sehun with Kyungsoo doesn’t sit well with Jongin… probably because Kyungsoo is too beautiful and Sehun is a little brat. Yeah. That’s definitely what it is. Kyungsoo does not need to associate himself with people like Sehun.

 

“Are you going to eat lunch now?” Jongin asks politely as the four of them enter the cafeteria.

 

“Actually, we have something to do really quickly.” Jongdae catches Kyungsoo’s eye and they both grin. “We’ll eat with you guys a different time, okay?”

 

The two older boys head upstairs, and Sehun looks thoughtfully after them before turning to Jongin. “Do you think they are dating?”

 

That surprises Jongin so much that he trips over his feet, almost landing in the pile of plates. “What?”

 

“That was literally the most suggestive thing I have ever heard,” Sehun points out, grabbing a plate to start filling it with food. “‘We have something to do really quickly’?”

 

“They literally could have been talking about anything,” Jongin reasons. “Like homework, trading notes, letting him borrow a textbook, I don’t know, knitting—”

 

Sehun looks unconvinced. “Just…” He hesitates.

 

“What?”

 

His roommate looks reluctant, but he continues. “Just don’t get hurt.”

 

"What?”

 

As they walk over to find a table, Sehun steels himself. “You’re really attached to Kyungsoo hyung. I’m scared that this will end badly.”

 

“It won’t. There is nothing to end.” Jongin says, rolling his eyes and plopping down into a chair.

 

And Jongin isn’t sure why, but his words hurt himself more than anything that Sehun had said.








 

Jongin steps out of the elevator, his backpack slung over one shoulder, when the sound of Jongdae and Kyungsoo talking meets his ears. For reasons unknown to even himself, it instinctively makes him stop in his path and duck behind the corner of the hall. He peers around the wall, trying to see what the two of them are doing.

 

Kyungsoo is inside the frame of his door, hands at his sides. Jongdae is in front of him, still in the middle of the hallway. It’s oddly intimate, the way they are staring at each other. Jongdae is grinning happily, his pretty almond-shaped eyes crinkling at the corners while he talks. Kyungsoo is just gazing at the other, his smile fond. Jongin doesn’t think that he is imagining the glow that hangs around the scene.

 

As they continue in their conversation, something about coffee shops around campus, Kyungsoo catches Jongdae’s hand in his own and casually swings it between them. The latter doesn’t even bat an eye at that; he just naturally intertwines their fingers together and continues to explain the location of this one particular cafe. Something in Jongin’s throat catches at that, but he wills himself to be rational. They are holding hands: that’s innocent enough. Zitao likes to hold Sehun’s hand when they’re sitting next to each other.

 

Jongdae has just finished saying his goodbyes when Kyungsoo steps forward and embraces the other. This doesn’t catch the other off guard either. Instead, his arms go around Kyungsoo’s waist and he rests his chin on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

 

Jongin bites his lip. Maybe they are just super, super touchy?

 

Kyungsoo leans forward and kisses Jongdae on the forehead.

 

And Jongin is out of there already, running down the stairs. His vision is blurred as he fights back tears, and he doesn’t know why on earth he feels so betrayed when, really, there is nothing that Kyungsoo promised him in the first place.








 

Kyungsoo texts Jongin asking what time he wants to meet that Thursday.

 

Jongin can’t find it in him to reply.


That is when Kyungsoo shows up to his dorm, but Jongin panics and hides in the closet. Zitao gives him a strange look and goes to drag him out, but one look at the younger’s face and he immediately presses his lips together in understanding. “Jongin is not here right now,” Zitao lies cheerfully to his sunbae.

 

“Do you know where he is? He isn’t answering his phone.” The concern in Kyungsoo’s voice makes Jongin choke up and hug himself around his waist.

 

“Oh, he probably is not answering because he is... getting his eyebrows threaded.” Zitao what are you doing. “You know what they say. Eyebrows on fleek.”

 

At least Jongin doesn’t want to cry anymore, since he is completely dumbfounded by the excuse that Zitao pulled out of his .

 

“I see.” Kyungsoo seems somewhat puzzled. “Well, tell him I was looking for him please.”

 

Zitao shuts the door, and then rolls open the closet. “Did Sehun teach you that one too?” Jongin asks amusedly, climbing out from behind his shoe rack.

 

“Yeah, he thought it would be useful for making friends.” Zitao crosses his arms. “But seriously, Jongin… what was that?”

 

Jongin chews on his bottom lip. “I’m not ready to talk about it yet.”

 

Zitao’s forehead scrunches up in concern. “Sehun is going to be worried sick.”

 

But Jongin just shakes his head. Zitao watches him for a few seconds before pulling him into a hug. “We are always here for you when you need us!”

 

Jongin just buries his head into the crook of Zitao’s neck as a silent “thank you”.








 

Kyungsoo sends another text message, asking Jongin how his “salon appointment” went. Jongin answers with a quick “it was fine, thank you.”

 

Now, he understands why he is disappointed when Kyungsoo doesn’t reply back.








 

Next week on Thursday morning, there is another message from Kyungsoo. He asks if Jongin is free to watch a movie that day. Jongin replies that he actually isn’t, because he is studying with a group. It isn’t completely a lie; he really is planning on meeting up with Zitao and Sehun to go over their readings.

 

Jongin slips out of his room with a backpack, ready for what would undoubtedly be a long session at the library. He presses the down button of the elevator and waits, shuffling back and forth from both legs.

 

The doors open, and he moves to step inside— only to be greeted by the sight of Kyungsoo, who is equally as surprised as he is. “Jongin, I—”

 

Except Jongin is already bolting for the stairs, feet moving as fast as they can to get away from the older boy. “Jongin!” Kyungsoo yells, but he is already gone.

 

When Jongin reaches the ground floor, his hands drop to his knees. He pants for a few seconds before straightening up, ready to go to the library—

 

And then the elevator door opens. Kyungsoo steps out, looking unamused.

 

Before Jongin can run away, Kyungsoo seizes the strap of his backpack and leans in, eyes narrowed. He drags the freshman back to the staircase and forces him to sit on the bottom step. Only then does he take a seat next to him. His hand hasn’t let go of Jongin’s backpack. “Explain. Now,” Kyungsoo barks.

 

Jongin diverts his eyes. “Explain what?” He asks in faux innocence.

 

“Jongin. You literally ran down five flights of stairs because you were trying to avoid me,” Kyungsoo deadpans. “There is no excuse. So tell me why.”

 

A pout is creeping on Jongin’s face. He hates that his reflex reaction about everything is to act like a puppy that just got scolded. “I didn’t know that you and Jongdae are dating,” He mumbles.

 

Kyungsoo looks disgusted. “I’m sorry, I thought I just heard you say that Jongdae and I are dating.” Kyungsoo laughs.

 

“That’s what I said!” Jongin fires back. “You and Jongdae hyung are dating, right?”

 

Kyungsoo is staring at Jongin, a stupefied expression on his face. “You seriously think I am dating Jongdae?”

 

“I saw you that day!” Jongin cries, hitting Kyungsoo’s knee. “I saw you kiss him in the hallway!”

 

“Oh gosh.” Kyungsoo’s hand goes up to rest over his eyes. “Oh my gosh.” He looks at Jongin. “This is all a big misunderstanding.”

 

“Misunderstanding? I know what I saw!”

 

“Yes, I kissed Jongdae that day. But not on the lips.” Kyungsoo shifts, uncomfortable. “Jongin, remember the first time you came to my room?”

 

Jongin nods, confused at the sudden topic switch.

 

“Remember how I told you that I cried a lot my freshman year because I missed my family? Like how you miss yours now?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Kyungsoo blows air out of his cheeks. It is surprisingly endearing, but Jongin clamps down the thought quickly. “I met Jongdae in freshman year, and he was lonely too. So we decided that we could… mutually benefit each other.”

 

“You guys were buddies?” Jongin asks, horrified.

 

“No! No, no way,” Kyungsoo quickly denies, making a face. “That’s gross. But it’s kinda like that actually….” Kyungsoo looks at Jongin from under long eyelashes. “We were… how to put this… friends with cuddling benefits?”

 

Jongin stares at Kyungsoo for a couple of seconds before bursting out laughing. “Oh my god, that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard,” He giggles, almost crying at how funny the situation is. “You and Jongdae hyung cuddled together? No ? Just cuddled?”

 

Kyungsoo tries to frown, but even he is close to laughing. “It sounds weird, but yeah. That’s basically how it worked.”

 

“Did you ever kiss him?” Jongin asks once he has gotten control of himself.

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head furiously. “Just hugging, and sleeping in the same bed. The most intimate we got was maybe kisses on the head, but it was never like that. We just liked having someone we could destress with.”

 

Jongin nods. He is starting to understand. “So… the time I caught you two…?”

 

“It was our last time together,” Kyungsoo confirms. “I told him that day that I was planning on asking you out on a date, so I didn’t want to be his friend with cuddling benefits anymore.”

 

Jongin suddenly feels weak. “You wanted to ask me on a date?”

 

Kyungsoo smiles. “‘Want’ to ask you on a date, actually.”

 

Jongin blushes, which makes Kyungsoo turn pink as well.

 

“So… there is really nothing between you and Jongdae hyung?” Jongin asks a final time for clarity’s sake.

 

“I wouldn’t date Jongdae even if someone was paying me,” Kyungsoo answers seriously. “He approves of you, by the way. That last time, he gave me recommendations for where to take you.”

 

Jongin laughs weakly. Relief is flooding over his whole body, and he feels like he can breathe. “I like you, Kyungsoo hyung.”

 

“I like you too, Jongin.” Kyungsoo grins. “So… does a coffee shop sound good for our first date?”








 

Jongin hears the elevator door ring, and he automatically moves forward—

 

And Kyungsoo is right there in front of him.

 

“Every single time,” His boyfriend laughs, catching Jongin around the waist. He pecks the younger on the lips, and Jongin turns bright red.

 

Sehun makes a retching noise.

 

Zitao shushes him. “Don’t be bitter just because you’re single.”

 

Sehun rolls his eyes. “Well, if having a boyfriend means I have to be disgusting like those two, then being single is amazing.”

 

“Word on the street is that Jongdae is looking for a new friend with cuddling benefits, actually,” Kyungsoo says casually.

 

“Sign me the up,” Sehun yells, spinning on his heels so that he can run over to Jongdae’s room. Zitao chases after him, more out of Jongdae’s sake than Sehun’s.

 

“Do you have anywhere you need to go?” Kyungsoo asks, eyes big.

 

“I was going to check my mailbox,” Jongin says casually, shrugging. “But I suddenly really want to watch a movie.”

 

Kyungsoo laughs and tugs at his hand. “Come here, then.”


Jongin knows that he wants to spend more time with Kyungsoo. He likes being with Kyungsoo, likes holding his hand, touching his face, kissing him.

 

And he finally knows how to describe it.

 

(“I think I love Kyungsoo,” Jongin tells Zitao and Sehun.)


(“We know,” They both say at the same time, not even bothering to look away from their phones.)

 

 

---

i think i like writing college!au too much

i was procrastinating on writing my bigger kaisoo fic, so i knocked this out in a couple hours (it's a bit different from my usual style, imho?)