Love Me, Love My Dogs

Love Me, Love My Dogs
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Nayeon faithfully continued to jog in place as she and Jihyo slowed down to an eventual stop in the middle of the sidewalk. The thin glaze of sweat over their foreheads glimmered underneath the rising sun, but it didn't affect Nayeon's cheerful mood one bit as the dark-haired girl beamed ever so brightly at her panting friend. She tugged an earphone out of one of her ears before speaking loud enough to hear herself over the deafening music coming from the earphone still lodged in her ear. "Come on Jihyo, don't tell me you're giving up already. We're not even halfway there yet! You can do it! Let's go!"

Jihyo remained in place, unmoving even in the face of Nayeon's enthusiastic encouragement. The only muscles she was willing to use at this point were in her face, so she merely scowled. "You know, you've really got some nerve to go ahead and say all of that when you've practically dragged my body to hell and back. I honestly don't know how you can do this every morning. You can keep running by yourself. I'm never going on a run with you ever again."

"Oh, alright, alright." Jihyo let out a sigh of relief as Nayeon immediately stopped all movement, took out her other earphone, and turned off her music player. "It just takes some getting used to. Once you're used to it you'll be just fine. But I don't mind stopping for now." She glanced up at the sky, using her hand to shield her eyes from the brightening sunlight. "The weather out here is starting to get warm anyway. Some ice cream would be really great right now, and I happened to buy a box of those amazing mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches the other day. We can have those when we get back."

The redhead's gaze dropped, and Nayeon stayed silent while waiting for her friend to share the bad news that she was surely withholding. "I really hate to say this, but there's only one ice cream sandwich left. Jungyeon, Chaeyoung, and Dahyun came over while you were in class and helped themselves to all of our snacks. They really, really helped themselves and pretty much decimated our snack stash."

Nayeon scoffed. "Of course they would." She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. "Well this . What are we supposed to do now? The market that sells that specific kind of ice cream is way too far away."

"Maybe...we can...you know...break it in half...and share it..." Jihyo slowly suggested as Nayeon nodded just as slowly.

"NOT!" They shouted in unison before breaking into a run toward the direction of their shared apartment.  Whoever got there first would claim the last delicious ice cream sandwich as theirs and that was more than enough motivation to send the two running at their respective maximum speeds.

Being the regular runner she was, Nayeon had the physical advantage and easily overtook Jihyo. She ran far ahead of her friend, garnering stares for her vigorous running. She didn't care. That mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwich was practically calling her name. Unfortunately for Nayeon, Jihyo was just as eager about the ice cream and she was gaining speed much quicker than the other girl anticipated. As she ran as fast as her legs could carry her, Nayeon contemplated ways to ensure her victory.

There was only one method her panicked mind presented, and she wouldn't hesitate to seize the opportunity when it arose. From what she could remember when she first explored this area, one of the streets just up ahead would lead right to their apartment. She usually took the longer route for her morning runs (and in general because it certainly wouldn't hurt to go the extra mile.) It'd been quite some time since she'd traveled this street, so the change of view could be nice too.

Once she spotted that familiar street sign, she turned heel and started off in the other direction. She could hear Jihyo shouting at her from behind, from somewhere in the distance. She could almost taste that sugary goodness that would soon envelope her tongue. "Nayeon! You shouldn't run that way!"

Nayeon glanced over her shoulder and stuck her tongue out at her friend. "Because it's a shortcut home, right? I'm not dumb! I'll see you when you eventually get there!" Instead of following after Nayeon, Jihyo continued taking the usual longer route, running past the street Nayeon was currently traversing. She smirked triumphantly. That ice cream sandwich was totally hers.

"Oh!" Nayeon gasped as she felt herself colliding into someone. She was too busy looking over her shoulder for the sight of Jihyo to actually be aware of her surroundings. "I'm so sorry, please excuse me - HOLY MOLES!" She turned around to face whoever she had bumped into, and she realized that they weren't a person like she had assumed they would be.

It was a dog.

As far back as Nayeon could remember, these furry, four-legged mammals terrified her like no other creature roaming the Earth. Frankly, dogs scared her less. And this dog in particular may as well leaped out of Hell itself because it was bigger than any dog she'd ever encountered in her entire life. If this thing stood on its hind legs, it would definitely be bigger than her. 

Nayeon's first reaction was to restrain herself from screaming and to get away as far away as she possibly could from the colossal animal. However, no matter what direction she turned, a variety of her worst, tail-wagging fears would be right there. They were everywhere. She suddenly remembered then why she'd avoided this route in the first place. This was the reason why Jihyo had warned her earlier.

I completely forgot about the dog park here. I am such a freaking idiot.

She scanned her surroundings for a clear exit with the least amount of dogs in the path. She needed to leave before one of these terrifying furballs decided to approach her. Forget the race with Jihyo, she just needed to get the hell out of here. Just as Nayeon's eyes finally managed to trace an arduous course past a group of poofy poodles, she felt something gently touching her arm. 

In fear that one of the monster-sized dogs was nudging at her, she instantly spun around and found herself face to face with an angel instead. Had she died from fear? Was this angel here to retrieve her soul and her to Heaven? If this was how her trip to the afterlife was going to be, she would gladly accept her death then and there.

"Hello," the breathtaking angel spoke. "Are you finding everything alright? You seem to be searching for something." Upon closer examination, Nayeon concluded that this angel was actually just a really, really beautiful human gifted with a face probably sculpted by angels. "My name is Tzuyu, and I'm one of the recent high school graduates serving as a volunteer for the summer. If there's something you need, I would like to help in any way that I can." 

Tzuyu smiled, waiting patiently for a response from the tongue-tied Nayeon. How could Paradise and Hell be in one place at the same time? And so closely associated with one another? "Um...hi... I was just... I was on a morning run when I decided to stop by since I knew that there was a popular dog park here. I wanted to check it out and now I'm interested in possibly offering my help from time to time." The words came spilling out of Nayeon's autonomous mouth before she could truly consider what she was going to say. Oh my god, what's wrong with me? 

The young volunteer clasped her hands together in delight, her cute smile growing wider. "Oh, really? Don't worry, I love dogs too, so I wouldn't be able to resist coming here in my free time either. That's what I actually did before I graduated. I came here occasionally to play with the puppies. If you'd like, I can show you around and you can decide if you want to volunteer here. Maybe you can even partner up with me."

At the mention of the word 'partner', there was no possible way that Nayeon could refuse. If she really wanted to get closer to Tzuyu, she was going to have to face her fears head-on. "That sounds nice. I'm currently a college student on break, so I have quite a bit of free time on my hands. Since I run every morning, I think I'll come by to help out afterwards." Nayeon would have applied to become a regular volunteer if dogs weren't one of her biggest fears. She had to conquer this fear one little step at a time instead of charging in recklessly (although this could be considered a reckless move already).

"Great! I can't wait. By the way, I've been placed in charge of the larger dogs since I'm one of the taller volunteers. I hope you don't mind. These big pups are just as cute as the little ones, right?" Nayeon stiffened as Tzuyu called over the humongous dog she had bumped into earlier. It remained completely still while Tzuyu its head affectionately. It seemed to be staring at Nayeon, sensing her delicious fear and waiting for Tzuyu to look away so it could pounce on her.

Yep, it doesn't make a difference at all. Big or small, they're nonetheless terrifying.

Nayeon couldn't achieve this alone. She was going to have to find some ways or tools to make this hellish experience a bit more bearable. A trip to the pet store should suffice. They were bound to sell a few helpful things. The Internet should also definitely be able to share a tip or two on how to deal with dogs. She was going to have to prepare for war in the meantime. Of course, there was still the Amazing Ice Cream Race with Jihyo. She had nearly forgotten all about it. Her roommate was definitely home by now and probably wondering where she was.

"Sorry, I would have liked to stick around so you could introduce me to the dogs and show me the ropes, but I need to return home and discuss a few things with my roommate. I think I'll stop by tomorrow. Although our meeting was short, it was truly a pleasure to meet you, Tzuyu." Nayeon extended her hand outward and Tzuyu took it. Her hand was soft and warm, and that made Nayeon feel even more reluctant to leave so soon.

"It was likewise a pleasure for me. I believe I didn't get your name?"

"Nayeon."

Tzuyu repeated the other girl's name to herself once, as if she were testing how it would roll off of her tongue. Her dimples deepened, and that seemed to  indicate that she probably liked it. Cute dimples, another one of Nayeon's weaknesses. "Okay. I really hope to see you tomorrow, Nayeon."

She was coming back to visit Tzuyu for sure.

 

 

Nayeon flinched as soon as she entered her apartment, because Jihyo seemingly appeared out of thin air to complain to her. "What took you so long? You took a shortcut, didn't you? I got here first and I was planning to eat the ice cream in front of your face, but you took forever so I just ate it." Her friend made a face when Nayeon suddenly grabbed both of her hands and held them in hers with an adoring expression. She was slowly growing accustomed to Nayeon's random bouts of weirdness, but she could only stand so much. "The hell are you doing?"

"Who cares about ice cream when I just met the soon-to-be love of my life?!"

"What? You met someone?" Jihyo was much more interested now, but she tugged her hands free from Nayeon's sweaty grasp and wiped it on her red trackpants.

"Yes, and she's the sweetest, prettiest girl ever!" There were practically hearts in Nayeon's eyes as she spoke about this girl she'd supposedly met. Jihyo grinned in amusement.

"Prettiest? She's that pretty?"

"I swear, she's the prettiest girl around here!" Nayeon insisted with an all-knowing tone.

"You mean she's the prettiest girl you haven't dated yet?" 

"No way, she's definitely the prettiest even among them. If we get together, we'll be the prettiest couple currently living on this planet. I'd say that we would be the prettiest couple in history but I don't know what the past prettiest couples looked like so I can't make a claim that outrageous."

Jihyo waved off her roommate's shameless remarks and pulled her to the couch, where they both sat down. "So, what's your plan? I'm assuming that you haven't tried asking her out yet. Where did you meet her anyway?"

Nayeon was then reminded of her current dilemma, of the biggest obstacle sitting between her and Tzuyu's precious, angel heart. Her expression subtly darkened, and Jihyo braced herself for the worst. "Well...you know how I took that shortcut on the way here? And there's that dog park there..."

Jihyo folded her arms over her chest and shook her head. "I warned you earlier and you still went that way?"

"I thought you just said that so I wouldn't get here faster than you. I totally forgot about the dog park. Anyway, my dumb accidentally ran into that place, and that's where Angel Tzuyu found me. And somehow, I kind of promised that I'd go there every now and then to volunteer and help her out. I said that I would probably show up tomorrow and she said that she's hoping to see me tomorrow so...tomorrow will be my first day..." Nayeon's voice trailed off as her roommate eyed her in a way that made her really grasp the severity of the situation that she'd landed herself in.

"I know you have your airheaded moments every once in a while, but this might just be the stupidest thing you've done yet." Jihyo told Nayeon sternly. She knew firsthand just how much dogs scared Nayeon, and she was only expressing concern for her close friend. "You're doing this all for a girl you just met too; shouldn't you take a step back and rethink things before you jump into this?"

"I know it's stupid. It's really, really stupid...and this is going to sound ridiculous, but I seriously felt a connection to her. Instantly. I have literally met no one who has made me feel this way within the first meeting, and I think that if I like her this much already, then I can't let anything stop me. Not even those slobbering beasts!" Nayeon finished her mini speech strongly, suddenly standing up and raising a fist as she did so. Jihyo was far from impressed and she didn't bother to hide it. However, upon seeing the other girl's genuine determination to get closer to this Tzuyu, she knew that no words of reason were going to reach her at this point. She was only going to provide support like the good friend she was.

"How are you going to do this? You know, you're not going to become the Dog Whisperer in a day."

"Of course not, I'm planning to look up ways to handle dogs and in a bit, I'll pay a visit to the pet store and grab some helpful things." Jihyo gave her that skeptical look again, but she couldn't blame her. "Look. I'm honestly giving this all I've got. Give me a break."

Jihyo shrugged. "I didn't say anything."

"You gave me that look." Nayeon replied with puffed cheeks as she walked towards the door again to put on her shoes. She opened the door and glanced towards Jihyo. "Don't worry about me. I, Im Nayeon, have got this. Just watch and see, you'll be amazed."

"Sure."

Before Nayeon could take the first step out of the door, her friendly neighbor Momo walked by. "Oh, hey Nayeon." The black-haired girl smiled and opened to return a greeting - until she took notice of Momo's dog at her feet, excited and more than ready for an afternoon walk. As soon as she realized the presence of the small but menacing (in her eyes) creature, Nayeon offered Momo a hasty wave and retreated back into her apartment in a flash.

"Wow, you were right. I am indeed amazed." Jihyo, the witness to the little incident just now, commented smugly.

Cheeks tinted with the color of embarrassment, Nayeon scurried to her room. "I-I just remembered that I forgot something. I need to go find it."

 

 

"Hello, I'm Mina. How can I help you?" The redheaded pet store employee offered as Nayeon approached her.

"Hi, I was wondering if you sell anything that can keep dogs away?"

"Like a pet deterrent to stop them from going to particular areas in your home?"

"No...something like insect repellent, but for dogs...that I can spray on myself. To keep them away."

Mina slowly raised a brow as Nayeon described the precise kind of product she was looking for. "Um, I'm sorry, but we don't sell anything like that... However, if you intend to keep dogs away, I can suggest a few items that could possibly distract them."

"Oh nice, that might work too."

"Nayeon?"

The girl in question could recognize that slightly accented voice anywhere (seriously), and she spun around to see the tall brunette standing behind her, just as she had expected. Nayeon's heart skipped a beat for two reasons: (1) this was a totally pleasant surprise as Nayeon didn't expect to run into Tzuyu again so soon, and her smile seems to have gotten even cuter since their first encounter and (2) she had a dog with her, and boy, was it freaking huge. If this wasn't Tzuyu handling the dog, Nayeon would've made a dash for the doors without a second thought...or any thought at all, really. (Running from dogs had developed into a sort of instinct for her.)

"H-Hi Tzuyu." Nayeon greeted weakly, her gaze unconsciously shifting to the gigantic dog beside her crush.

"What a great coincidence! What are you shopping for, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Oh, uh, I'm just trying to see if I could find something...for the dogs tomorrow."

In an attempt to be helpful, Mina interjected, "Weren't you just looking for something to - "

"Play with the pups! Hehe. But I think I can find it myself, so you can go now, Mona; thanks for your help!" The employee's serene expression contorted into that of confusion, but she walked away anyway to organize merchandise on the shelves. Once the redhead was out of the vicinity, Nayeon continued, "So, what are you here for, Tzuyu? I'm guessing it has something to do with your...cute doggie?" Nayeon forced a smile on her face as she stole a glance at said dog. From the looks of this thing, its heritage couldn't be traced that far from it

Please log in to read the full chapter