Pink

Clueless For Red Lips

Tiffany's not quite sure when it started or even how.

 

She had merely been looking for Joohyun; the youngest member of Girls' Generation was offered to give a pep talk for a batch of trainees (probably along with a list of foods to eat and amount of calorie intake necessary for a healthy and balanced diet). Tiffany had forgotten to give the younger woman her book back (a case on self reflection and personal growth) and had wanted to ask if there were any more volumes from the same author.

 

Joohyun had always been the best when it came to finding good books on character development; she had an eye for meaningful words written between lines of black and white; Tiffany wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between two books that spoke of the same thing. 

 

(Joohyun had been adamant that the one written by some author with an H in their name had no idea what they were actually talking about; Tiffany hadn't bothered to question her about such 'hate', only hearing the younger girl mutter about politics before she immediately zoned out. Too complicated.)

 

“Hey,” Tiffany had greeted a familiar coach who smiled her way, “is Joohyun here?”

 

The woman nodding her head was enough incentive for Tiffany to start sifting through her bag as the trainer called for her.

 

“Joohyun! Over here!”

 

Tiffany's fingers managed to grasp at the familiar texture of laminated paper and began to pull it out as Joohyun shuffled towards her, catching slivers of familiar raven hair from the corner of her eyes.

 

“Hey, is there more from this guy?” Tiffany asked as she cradled the book in her other hand, zipping her bag to a close. “He's got a great sense of humor; it's no wonder you're improving yours—”

 

“Sunbaenim?” Someone spoke; so tiny, soft – even delicate. It felt like a feather.

 

Tiffany's mouth stuttered to a pause, as if the gears grew weak at a voice that was supposed to be Joohyun's but wasn't.

 

“…Hyun?” She finished dully, the single syllable ending with a squeak – finally looking up from her half zipped bag to see unfamiliar pools of brown looking as lost as she felt.

 

Tiffany wonders if that was how it started – calling out the wrong Joohyun; it had certainly been one of her many long lists of mistakes that she knew she'd love to make again.

 

She remembers the girl had been shy at her dazed expression, looking down with her hands behind her back, her greeting almost inaudible if it weren't for her moving her head closer to hear better.

 

“H-Hi, sunbaenim. Um, I heard you were looking for me...?”

 

Tiffany swore her lungs gave out the moment the girl looked back up at her. She couldn't bring herself to tell her that she wasn't; that she was looking for an entirely different Joohyun.

 

So Tiffany improvised.

 

“Oh! Um – yes, indeed I was!”

 

She wanted to slap herself for sounding horribly out of character, cringing at her lame tongue and hurried to make due with what she got.

 

This Joohyun was cute, how she tilted her head, her forehead creased with beads of sweat and damp strands of ebony, undoubtedly as a result of dance practice.

 

Tiffany cleared .

 

“I just, uh, want to – er, congratulate you!”

 

“Congratulate me...?”

 

Tiffany wanted to bury herself several feet under from where she stood, her brain dizzy from wracking for an explanation that would convince this girl (and herself) that this was no mistake.

 

“Yes! For working very hard – yup!”

 

She nodded enthusiastically for emphasis, cringing behind her lips at the poor, very poor, excuse blabbed out.

 

When she noticed this Joohyun merely smile, as if unsure, Tiffany grabbed her hands and shoved the book there, hoping it'd add more value to her horrible lie.

 

“That's why I'm lending you this – it's a great read on self-reflection. You'll be even better than you already are!”

 

Oh god.

 

It was hard to pretend like they knew each other when this was the very first time they’ve ever met.

 

Tiffany didn't wait for this Joohyun to respond, quickly bowing before hastily gesturing to the coach that she was taking her leave.

 

Tiffany couldn't handle the trainee's big innocent eyes anymore; they looked so naive and attentive and even childlike that had she lingered any longer, Tiffany would've probably hugged her to death.

 

Stumbling out into the hallway, catching her breath, Tiffany dared to take a quick glance back only to feel pink dust her cheeks, the warmth crawling up her neck.

 

The wrong Joohyun had caught her eyes, sent her a small timid smile along with a shy wave, the book in her hand, that the sight nearly got Tiffany to squeal out of glee if not for the actual Joohyun bumping her ribs with her pointy elbow.

 

“Ow.”

 

Girls' Generation's Joohyun giggled beside her.

 

“I heard you were looking for me, unnie?”

 

Tiffany suddenly remembered that the book wasn't hers to give.

 

“Oh right, um, about your book...”

 

That day, Tiffany spent an hour convincing Joohyun that she would get it back, though the younger woman didn't seem all that bothered since someone else would learn the value of self-improvement books.

 

Tiffany remembers glancing back through the little window of the door right before she left, breath getting stuck in at the sight of the other Joohyun midway through her dance steps.

 

Despite bumping into the wrong Joohyun, she was definitely just as beautiful.

 

/

 

The second time she met that trainee with the same name, Tiffany hadn't been looking for Girls' Generation's Joohyun.

 

She had been busy practicing, her voice having begun to feel strained that Tiffany decided to take a break, resting against the wall of the vocal practice room, water bottle in hand.

 

Tiffany had shut her eyes, allowed her lungs to breathe in oxygen at a steadier pace, and reveled in the quiet. It was peaceful; the silence was calming and Tiffany cherished it as much as the euphoric high she'd feel on stage.

 

Until the door creaked open and Tiffany was startled to a jolt at the familiar sound of soft velvet.

 

“O-Oh sorry, sunbaenim,” It was the other Joohyun, her adorable squeak of surprise and wide eyes a cute picture Tiffany couldn't look away from at all. “I'll just go somewhere else...”

 

“No, it's okay!”

 

Tiffany had been quick to tug Joohyun back with an encouraging smile and light sheepish laughter. She never realized how fast she had gotten up to grasp the younger girl's wrist until her warmth began to meld beneath her palm.

 

She still remembers how Joohyun had turned a timid pink.

 

“I was just resting, you know, 'cause it's quieter here.” Tiffany urged Joohyun in, throwing a playful wink too. “I'm sure you're here for that reason too.”

 

“I – um, yes...”

 

Tiffany grinned, pulling Joohyun to sit next to her, amused at the trainee's shy obedience. She had probably forgotten to sign in the time sheet for the practice room before she went in; oh well, at least her mistake meant another accidental run in with Joohyun.

 

“Let's sleep together then!”

 

Tiffany hadn't noticed the implication until Joohyun burned a brighter red, her face hiding behind strands of ebony like curtains to a theater of feelings.

 

She was about to fix her mistake, clear up the confusion until Joohyun mumbled beneath her breath, fiddling nervous fingers with her sleeves.

 

“...But I'm sweaty...”

 

Tiffany tried really, really, really, hard not to squeal at Joohyun attempting to comb her hair back, meek hands wiping off beads of exhaustion from her pretty, very pretty, face.

 

She laughed, patting Joohyun's leg to reassure her, before standing up again, winking down at Joohyun's curious gaze blinking up at her.

 

“Then let's take care of that.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Tiffany had grabbed her towel off the back of a chair (thank goodness she hadn't used it yet; vocal exercises didn't really call for much physical exertion like dancing did) before settling back down beside the trainee again, offering the pink cloth.

 

Joohyun, as expected of a typical junior, attempted to reject her.

 

“N-No it's okay, sunbaenim! I have one of my own...”

 

“Then where is it?”

 

“...In my locker...”

 

She clicked her tongue, nudging Joohyun with a gentle elbow and a reassuring smile. Trainees always were much more tougher to crack in terms of breaking the ice.

 

Tiffany cherished their innocent curiosity and ambition for dreams; she could relate.

 

“Which is a floor below us,” she said, tapping Joohyun's chin to lead her gaze back up towards her. “All the more reason to take this.”

 

“But—”

 

“And if you don't want to feel like you owe me anything,” Tiffany continued on, lifting the towel to swipe at a bead over Joohyun's cheek; smirking at the trainee's cute blush. “Lend me yours. Then we'll be even.”

 

Truth be told, she didn't have any ulterior motive behind the words she had said, but as soon as they left to ring through the air and echo into her own ears, Tiffany realized just how sly it could sound.

 

She wasn't expecting to be the type to take back so many syllables as soon as they had left (she was always satisfied with what to say), but ever since she encountered this Joohyun, she had been wanting to pull strings back as soon as they had come undone.

 

But Tiffany couldn't when Joohyun beat her to it, timidly nodding, as if to not hinder Tiffany's careful patting of the cloth on her cheek.

 

“...Okay.”

 

Tiffany's smile had painted her face then, cooing as she massaged the towel over the slopes of Joohyun's forehead, pushing back slick strands of ebony.

 

She could practically feel the way Joohyun shifted, like her touch was foreign (it truly was, all things considered) and attempted to help the trainee relax in her presence, letting the gears run in her head of topics they could discuss.

 

“Looking forward to debuting?”

 

Joohyun appeared relieved at the cue for common ground, her eyes no longer straying away from her own.

 

“Ah, yes. The members are set already, so we've just been preparing.”

 

“Nervous to be on stage?”

 

Joohyun hummed, twiddling with her fingers as Tiffany curled Joohyun's hair back to wipe at her neck, patting gently.

 

She was almost as pale as Taeyeon, her skin a creamy white.

 

“...Yes,” Joohyun paused, “but I wouldn't want that feeling to go away either, because it's more precious that way.”

 

“'Precious?'“

 

A nod.

 

“I'm nervous because I care enough to think about what I could do to show my best.” Joohyun's gaze flickered towards her, a quiet strength embedded through them.  “Isn't that what makes something precious?”

 

Out of all the things Tiffany had experienced in life (and she had experienced a lot – the good, the bad, and the really, really, ugly), it was always a trainee's point of view that could color perspective of achieving dreams better than anything else.

 

Trainees were right at the core of it all; tasting that little bit of sweet success that they were good enough to be considered, yet failure would always crawl along behind to remind them that they may not last.

 

Mentality was key and Joohyun's was superb.

 

To think a trainee cherished the feeling of nervousness – Tiffany wondered if wisdom bled often out of Joohyun's mouth.

 

“Will you be leading the group?”

 

Joohyun had looked surprised then, jerking slightly as if Tiffany's question had sent a spark against her skin.

 

“H-How did you know?”

 

Tiffany grinned, tapping Joohyun's nose before patting the towel carefully on her eyelids, watching the trainee instinctively shut her eyes.

 

“You sound like a leader.”

 

Joohyun's cheeks had begun to flush again, grinning at the pink coloring pale skin; how cute.

 

“Oh, um, they said it was because I'm the oldest, so...”

 

“Even better,” Tiffany quipped, not missing the way Joohyun had sounded insecure about her age. “You're wise and have the authority to lead – I think that's a good thing.”

 

“But I'm too shy,” Joohyun muttered, staring down at her lap. “I'm too quiet. I'm not outspoken like the others—”

 

“And neither is Tae, but look what happened; she now leads the nation's number one girl group.” Tiffany winked, not at all used to tooting her own horn but it was a label that Korea had given them. “What makes you think you can't do the same?”

 

Joohyun had looked at her then, a searching gaze that had locked Tiffany's breath behind , hushing her tongue for the umpteenth time. This trainee had quite the hold on her; Tiffany couldn't tell why.

 

Maybe it was because Joohyun's silence mimicked an old friend's.

 

And then Joohyun smiled this small smile, shy but grateful, and it made Tiffany vaguely aware of something frighteningly warm in her chest.

 

“Thank you, sunbaenim.”

 

Tiffany had heard a lot of “Thank you’s” in her lifetime; she had said it often herself, at photoshoots, practices, guestings on shows, at PDs and managers, hairstylists, and coordinators.

 

She had often heard it from grateful trainees and juniors, showing their appreciation with starry eyes and happy smiles.

 

But Joohyun's shouldn't have been any different; her vocal appreciation was just as much of a typical template as anyone else's.

 

Maybe it was in the way Joohyun had on this meek gaze and the small curve of her lips, how ebony curtained over the slope of her brow to the slender contours of her shoulder.

 

Or maybe Tiffany was just being biased because either way, Joohyun locked her breath behind , silenced her tongue and caught her eyes to merely stare at timid beauty.

 

Tiffany couldn't help herself.

 

Squealing, she pulled Joohyun in for a hug, unable to keep her giddiness at bay; Joohyun was just so adorable.

 

“You're so cute, Hyun-ah!”

 

The nickname rolled off her tongue as if it was waiting to be said.

 

/

 

Tiffany remembers learning of Joohyun's – no, not that Seo Joo Hyun, selected group mates for their debut.

 

Park Sooyoung wasn't hard to miss; she was the tallest and therefore Tiffany had no problem spotting her amidst the rest of trainees in a crowd.

 

Kang Seulgi was a girl Tiffany had known of for years, considering she had spent the longest in their company to train. Tiffany felt pride swell at the thought of all her efforts finally having paid off.

 

Son Seungwan – Wendy, Tiffany had learned, was the easiest to make conversations with. The ease of slipping into English tongue helped plenty, and her lively nature complemented her own; there was no problem in building up excitement whenever they bumped into each other in the halls.

 

Bae Joohyun was as quiet as ever, though Tiffany knew the girl was much more comfortable with her now, considering she no longer needed to hide behind her ebony hair and timid fingers.

 

“You'll do well, I know it.” Tiffany had said, smiling at the way Wendy trembled with anticipation, her hair dyed in half blue.

 

She didn't know they'd be coloring their hair for their debut; Tiffany briefly wondered what Joohyun's would be.

 

“Thanks, unnie.”

 

Wendy had embraced her, before waving goodbye to meet up with her manager.

 

Tiffany had considered looking for Joohyun, partially curious to see how the trainee was handling their preparations for their debut, when she spotted a flicker of pink.

 

It was like neon, bright and bold; the color had Tiffany mesmerized. Excitement jerked into her legs, and before she knew it, Tiffany found herself weaving through the crowd of backstage handlers and makeup staff for that flicker of pink.

 

Tiffany had promised to herself that anything pink belonged to her alone, and this was no exception.

 

She sifted through corridors, smiled quickly at fellow coworkers, and nearly bumped into a racket of clothes being wheeled in, before Tiffany finally got to reach that fleeting bright pink.

 

It didn't take long for her to realize that whoever had dyed their hair pink was a member of their company's newest girl group.

 

Tiffany knew that this person in particular, simply for the color in their hair, would undoubtedly be her favorite member for this debut. Her eyes wouldn't be able to look anywhere else.

 

“That shade of pink is amazing,” Tiffany said, grinning at the way her junior jumped from where she stood. “I should dye my hair like that too, one day.”

 

Her giggles didn't last long though when the trainee turned around, her jaw going slack at the realization that Joohyun looked absolutely stunning in pink.

 

“S-Sunbaenim!”

 

Tiffany almost cursed at the way her heart leapt to , blocking words from reaching her tongue to spill a coherent response. She wanted to say “Hi” or “Hello again” or something, but nothing could leave . Not when her lungs were emptied of air and Joohyun looked ethereal in that black and pink jersey outfit.

 

Tiffany knew then that she had found her favorite member in Red Velvet.

 

She wanted to consider that it was all the pink to blame, but half her mind was still reeling at the fact that Joohyun looked beautiful in anything she wore.

 

“Is something wrong, sunbaenim?”

 

Tiffany jolted at Joohyun's touch, the younger girl's hand warm against her forearm.

 

Bright pools of brown that were so similar to everyone else's peered up at her; there was something different though – Joohyun's eyes had her enraptured.

 

“N-No, not at all.” Tiffany winced at her stutter, embarrassed that a trainee could make a Girls’ Generation's member flustered. “I just got distracted by all the pink.”

 

Joohyun blinked at her for a moment, before she giggled, her eyes hiding away into crescent moons that Tiffany thought to be Joohyun’s most prized possession – and handy weapon.

 

Joohyun's smiling eyes had her wrapped up entirely that Tiffany feared she would never want to get out.

 

“Of course,” Joohyun said, taking a strand of hair dipped in Tiffany's favorite color between slim fingers. “Pink is still your favorite, right sunbaenim?”

 

Tiffany managed to choke out a “Yes” between bouts of coughs masquerading the blush welling up her cheeks. Pink was still her favorite, no doubt there, but paired with Joohyun? Even better.

 

Tiffany could only flush at the thought she had nearly spluttered out for the trainee to hear.

 

Joohyun glanced past her, waving at someone who had called her name. Tiffany had no time to say anything else when Joohyun clutched her arm, squeezing gently.

 

“I still have to film my part,” Joohyun smiled at her, taking away the rest of the breath still stuck in . “I'll see you next time, okay sunbaenim?”

 

Tiffany mustered up a nod, returning her smile with a grin she felt blooming even in her chest – a sense of happiness settling there, before raising a fist to cheer Joohyun on.

 

When Joohyun left, her back growing smaller, fading between the crowds of people Tiffany suddenly couldn't place, she memorized the way dips of neon pink fluttered with each step.

 

Tiffany was all too aware of a warmth crawling up her chest, as if to stay. Pretending there was nothing squirming inside, Tiffany hurried after her, excitement shooting through her veins at the thought of watching Joohyun behind the scenes for her first ever music video.

 

She made it a point to cheer on for the other members too, especially when Wendy started to about only having eyes for Joohyun.

 

Tiffany made sure to blame it all on the pink.

 

/

 

Joohyun became someone Tiffany looked for between practices, gaze flitting for that particular junior (she couldn't call Joohyun a trainee anymore) whenever she caught a break.

 

She found herself often hoping that their schedules coincide, energy springing with each step when Joohyun's group happened to be at the salon, too; 1 AM appointment be damned.

 

But at most, they settled for quick greetings, painted with shy smiles and little waves, before Tiffany would get caught in the rush of getting her hair and makeup done.

 

It was never anything more than that, fleeting goodbyes spilling between each member along with a cheer for good luck. No one ever knew whether a broadcast would go over well; better to be safe than sorry.

 

Tiffany tended to coo whenever she found the two Joohyun's hugging their goodbyes. She recalls how awkward they had been together, but once that had passed, they became knots that couldn't come untied.

 

It took one morning on a schedule-free Saturday when Tiffany decided to message Joohyun; her group's wisest member.

 

(Hey, you're friends with Joohyun now, right?)

Sender: Tiffany

Sent: 8:20:12 AM

Sent: 08/06/15

 

(Yes, unnie. Why?)

Sender: Seororo

Sent: 8:20:50 AM

Sent: 08/06/15

 

(How did you do it?)

Sender: Tiffany

Sent: 8:21:05 AM

Sent: 08/06/15

 

(What do you mean? Aren't you two already friends, unnie?)

Sender: Seororo

Sent: 8:21:47 AM

Sent: 08/06/15

 

Tiffany admits they were close enough to say “Hi” or “Bye” or “Did you eat yet”, but she wouldn't consider that friendship. Sure, they had spent some alone time together once, in a vocal practice room – but that was purely coincidental, because she had been there to practice and Joohyun came in to rest. It didn't count.

 

Neither did the accidental mishap of calling for the wrong Joohyun.

 

(Not really?)

Sender: Tiffany

Sent: 8:22:10 AM

Sent: 08/06/15

 

It had been difficult to catch Joohyun alone – especially now that she debuted and they both had schedules to meet. But searching for time couldn't really be the problem either, when she had easily made friends with the rest of her members. They had been particularly vocal of being Girls' Generation's fans, and their giddiness only made it that much more easier to talk to them.

 

Joohyun's silence was a little nerve-racking, especially when it resembled a member who was no longer with them.

 

“Aren't you a little too quiet, sunbaenim?”

 

Tiffany remembers jumping up at the sound of that signature voice, soft-spoken but louder than a bell, ringing into her ears and drumming against her chest.

 

Red Velvet's Joohyun was smiling at her, a book in her hand, gesturing her to take it.

 

“I'm sorry I took so long to finish it, but it was really good. I think I've learned a little bit more about myself.”

 

Tiffany took note of Joohyun's attire: black Nike tights, shoes, along with a tank-top; the towel hanging over her neck should've been a dead giveaway, but Tiffany still couldn't help but ask.

 

“Heading to the gym?”

 

Once she took the book back, Joohyun readjusted her hold on her duffel bag, a shy smile having played along her lips.

 

“Yes, it's my day-off so I thought I should make use of it.”

 

Tiffany recognized an opportunity when she was offered one; so she took it.

 

“Mind if I join you?”

 

/

 

Huffs of breaths and the soft whir of the treadmills cascaded along the walls of the gym.

 

Tiffany was particularly confident in running. Despite her short legs (at least, compared to the taller half of her group mates), she still had enough endurance to push them past their limits.

 

Joohyun had been quiet next to her, or as quiet as she could be, focused on her own run. Tiffany dared not to stare, especially knowing how much of a bother it was when others did during her workouts.

 

Though it was a little hard to ignore the awkwardness that still floated over them.

 

“You're doing pretty well, sunbaenim.”

 

Joohyun slipped in a sentence that didn't betray any sign of exhaustion. It was a little surprising, but from the small smile on Joohyun's mouth, Tiffany knew it was her way of breaking the ice.

 

“Of course,” Tiffany returned it with a grin, “I wouldn't be able to handle the idol life if I couldn't.”

 

Joohyun's laughter was divine, amidst the noise of a whistling treadmill and the soft thuds of their feet against a rolling surface. It was kind of nice.

 

They talked about other things: how their debut stages went, the feelings that overwhelmed them once the lights dimmed in the comfort of their own dorms, the relief of finally getting through training. They conversed long enough that Tiffany had almost forgotten that they had been jogging the entire time.

 

“I heard you love games a lot,” Tiffany began a new topic once they had finished sharing details about Wendy's large admiration for Taeyeon. “Or at least, where there's something to win.”

 

Joohyun's puffs for breaths had gotten a little louder, just enough to indicate that she was gradually reaching her limit. Tiffany had felt her own chest start to weigh in too, her breathing growing heavier.

 

“I do. I like winning.” She said between huffs, a grin curving her lips. “Don't you?”

 

Tiffany was a little surprised at the image; she had gotten used to Joohyun's innocent naivety that the competitive confidence had her reeling a bit in shock. She made sure her legs kept up with the steady pace, pretending she didn't nearly stumble, raising a brow in return.

 

“Winning would be nice.”

 

“Are you up for a challenge then, sunbaenim?” There was a spark in Joohyun's eyes, equivalent to the times Soonkyu would look at them before she'd slap their bottoms out of childish affection.

 

Tiffany ignored the shudder that crept down her spine.

 

“What do you have in mind?”

 

Maybe Joohyun had gotten a little bolder during their conversation, watching her reach over to her panel to press the button to increase the incline and speed. Tiffany was quick to readjust herself, catching Joohyun giggle.

 

“Let's up the incline and speed every two minutes,” Joohyun said, increasing hers to match their pace. “And see who lasts the longest.”

 

Tiffany had no idea what had gotten Joohyun ecstatic for it, but she couldn't really complain when Joohyun's eyes beamed with excitement – shimmering enough to have Tiffany almost trip over her own two feet, again. Even if she knew this could very well end with sore legs, Tiffany didn't mind as long as she could have the gleam in Joohyun's eyes stay a little longer.

 

“What's the prize?” There was a smirk curving the corners of Tiffany's lips, “Because I'm letting you know now that it'll be mine.”

 

Joohyun scoffed. “Not likely,”

 

“Are you sure?” Tiffany almost laughed at Joohyun's rolling eyes, “Because I know I'm a winner.”

 

“Lunch.” Joohyun said, “Winner gets free food.”

 

Tiffany hummed. Free food was definitely not a bad prize. But it was lacking something. She needed more incentive than a meal to bother working herself out this much.

 

A grin curled along at the thought.

 

“Call me 'unnie'.”

 

Tiffany shot out an arm as soon as she spotted Joohyun nearly toppling over the treadmill, helping her steady herself with a grip on her forearm, laughter already leaving at Joohyun's stumbling. Her cheeks had colored a wonderful pink.

 

How cute.

 

“W-What?” Joohyun was back to keeping up with her rhythm.

 

“If I win, I want you to call me 'unnie'.” Tiffany sent her a wink just for good measure, giggling when Joohyun's cheeks only flared a brighter pink – the color definitely suited her. “What do you want if you win?”

 

Joohyun had fallen silent, except for the constant thrumming of their feet against the moving surface, the machines' soft whirring drumming along her ears.

 

“If I win, I'll stick with calling you 'sunbaenim'. Along with free food.”

 

Through the brief conversations they had between passing each other by in dressing rooms, to rehearsals and practices, Tiffany had learned that Joohyun was a bit of a stickler when it came to respect. It was a great thing of course. Who didn't want to be considered with the utmost respect?

 

Tiffany smiled.

 

“You're on.”

 

But somehow, when it came to Joohyun, she wanted more than a junior's lovely respect.

 

/

 

Tiffany didn't win.

 

“Here, sunbaenim.”

 

A towel was shoved in front of her, along with a bottle of water. The items weren't foreign to Tiffany, not really, they just didn't belong to her. Joohyun was lending her things and Tiffany was never great at receiving help. It had taken years for her to get used to Taeyeon's; what more with a junior she still barely knew?

 

“Oh, no it's okay—”

 

“Please.” Paired with pleading eyes, Tiffany already knew there was no chance. “Let me return the favor, okay?”

 

With one soft smile sent her way, Tiffany was done for.

 

“Okay, okay.”

 

She was grateful for the drink and towel, even though she had her own tucked in her gym bag, eyeing Joohyun's relieved sigh. Joohyun seemed like the type to dislike owing someone back; or at least, not too keen on remaining in someone else's debt.

 

Their childish competition didn't last for very long; especially not when Tiffany found herself getting distracted by the sweat that cascaded along Joohyun's skin, and the panting breaths they had shared. It was a mess – just enough to have Tiffany convinced that she shouldn't be thinking of something so dirty, and called it quits.

 

“One day,” Tiffany started, attempting to pass her water bottle to Joohyun, unsurprised of the rejection with a small wave. “I'll get you to call me 'unnie'.”

 

Joohyun chuckled, the sound soft, as if velvet lined the notes in her voice. It erased the exhaustion in Tiffany's legs momentarily, no longer feeling much of the burning pain when Joohyun looked her way.

 

“Maybe when you finally win, sunbaenim.”

 

Tiffany felt encouraged to protest, argue that it wouldn't be long before she'd win at something, but when she felt a gentle tap on her forehead, the words paused behind .

 

Joohyun was smiling. “I have to go. I'll see you around?”

 

Like magic, Tiffany was spellbound, mouth stuck agape. Nothing came out, barely managing to nod. She'd rather stay silent just so she could listen to the way Joohyun giggled at her, before she turned to leave, waving over her shoulder.

 

It wasn’t until Joohyun disappeared behind gaggles of other people that Tiffany realized she still had Joohyun's towel and water bottle; and the fact that she owed Joohyun a free meal.

 

All the more reason to see her again.

 

Tiffany chuckled once her breathing returned from its sudden pause, looping her bag over her shoulder.

 

For someone who lost, she certainly didn't feel like she did.

 

/

 

Timing hadn't been all that nice since then.

 

Suddenly they both became too busy, Girls' Generation coming back with multiple title songs. There hadn't been much rest between Party, Lion Heart, and You Think.

 

Promotions were nice; it had been fun guesting on shows they haven't been on before, especially when the emcees weren't breathing down their throats with typical boring questions. Dancing to their songs in random order had been exhilarating – Tiffany made sure to remind their group's dance line of their failures when it came to formations.

 

Red Velvet's been busy preparing for their own promotions, managing to only catch brief glimpses of Joohyun in the hallway. Even Wendy, who was usually accommodating with making time to hang out, had been preoccupied to the point of settling for text messages instead.

 

So when Tiffany heard of Red Velvet's brief vacation before their comeback, she made sure not to miss it.

 

(Hey, what was Joohyun's home address in Daegu again?)

Sender: Tiffany

Sent: 7:10:39 AM

Sent: 08/27/15

 

As soon as Wendy texted her the place, along with a curious “Why?” Tiffany had set out to finally return Joohyun's things and pay for that free meal, replying with an: “I owe her something” and leaving it at that.

 

But it wasn’t until she already spent a night with Joohyun (and will be spending another, maybe) that Tiffany realizes she has yet to fulfill a longtime debt and proper return of Joohyun's things, registering that she still has Joohyun pinned against her bedroom door.

 

Her thoughts no longer reeled memory films in her head, tasting vanilla on Joohyun's lips, along with a mix of strawberries that Tiffany's accustomed to wearing on her own mouth.

 

Oh god.

 

“S-Sorry!”

 

Tiffany yelps as soon as her mind clears, jolting back, recalling that yes, Joohyun is still her junior – and that she shouldn't really be kissing her at all.

 

(“Am I being 'just nice' right now, Hyun-ah?”)

 

She should run. Seriously. Maybe go dig a hole somewhere not too far from here out on the countryside – at least then she could help out with the crops, have herself be additional fertilizer.

 

“...Sunbaenim?”

 

However quiet Joohyun's voice could be, it's still resoundingly loud enough that it makes Tiffany's heart jump, as if it was about to burst out of her ribcage. She's wary of looking back at deep brown eyes she's gotten used to sinking into, swallowing hard when she finally meets Joohyun's gaze, but not without taking a few steps away; allow distance to keep them apart.

 

She could still taste Joohyun on her lips.

 

“Yes?” Tiffany is thankful her voice hasn't given up on her – at least, not just yet.

 

“If that wasn't being nice,” Joohyun's brows crinkle, “then what was it?”

 

From the look on Joohyun's face, how her lips draw a thin line, eyes alight as if they haven't lost focus, Tiffany realizes Joohyun already knows the answer. It's as if all she's looking for is additional confirmation – a solid reaffirmation of a fact that is already underlined in red, and written in bold.

 

Tiffany juggles the pros and cons of acknowledging the truth – how they’d jeopardize their careers and how new Joohyun still is in the entertainment world. Joohyun's just started her dream – she still has so many years left; there was no way Tiffany would allow it to end; not this early, and not by something as selfish as believing that everything pink belongs to her.

 

She likes Joohyun a little bit more than that.

 

“It was a game.” Tiffany says, shrugging and smiling along to her excuse. “I thought you like games?”

 

Joohyun's frown is predictable, but not the steps she takes forward towards her; Tiffany's eyes widening at the distance slowly growing shorter. She's frantic to make it wider again, keep Joohyun as far away as possible, except the back of her knees bump the edge of Joohyun's mattress, forcing her backwards onto a bed she's already slept on once before.

 

There's a fierce silence associated with Joohyun, like there was a certain danger that coiled along her figure that would snap if provoked. Despite having seniority over Joohyun, Tiffany shudders at the quiet authority that naturally encases her, spilling across the air and seizing Tiffany's limbs to tremor.

 

Tiffany makes a mental note to never question why she's the leader of her respective group.

 

Joohyun's towering over her, crossed arms paired with a smile that curves into a smirk. When she bends so they're at eye level, Tiffany swears that frost colors Joohyun's voice – icy and sharp.

 

“The only game I like is where I win.”

 

Tiffany swears Joohyun could hear her swallow – a pathetic gulp that echoes along the walls of her bedroom, embarrassingly loud and a dead giveaway of just how much fear Joohyun could instill in her.

 

Weak stutters spill her lips when Joohyun nudges her knees apart, as if to be closer than she already is, settling between her legs. Tiffany wonders if steam is escaping her ears; her heart must be tired from all the marathons Joohyun is making her run in.

 

“So how do I play?”

 

“W-What?”

 

“So I can win and get my prize.” Joohyun's calm patience has Tiffany frozen, “How do I play?”

 

Jokes normally aren't hard to tell, but when it's coming from Joohyun, Tiffany wonders if jokes come off her lips when she has an expression like that: as if she was betting her life, putting it on the line.

 

When she thinks about it though, in a way, Joohyun was.

 

“Was I just being nice?” Tiffany pauses, “Answer that right, and you'll win.”

 

It's a little funny how Joohyun never asks what the prize was.

 

“You weren't.”

 

Tiffany hadn't been ready for a second kiss, but when Joohyun crashes their lips together, forcing them to sink into the bed, evidently too impatient to bother hearing her say, “You're right,” Tiffany figures it's okay.

 

The only prize she could offer was herself, anyway.

 

/

 

Vacation was over and they both returned to Seoul.

 

It was discussed between soft chaste kisses and giant warm hugs that they would keep their relationship a secret. Even from their respective group members.

 

But Tiffany has a feeling, whenever she catches the two Sooyoung’s chatting around the corner, hushing their whispers whenever she’s walking with Red Velvet’s Joohyun, that some of them already know.

 

It becomes more obvious when Yoona and Yeri makes silly faces at them before slapping their backs, teasing them with mock kisses that Joohyun nearly throws a right hook at her youngest member if not for Tiffany’s cooing.

 

Wendy and Taeyeon had been more subtle about their acknowledgement, with gentle pats of encouragement and soft cheers, along with genuine curiosity over how it all started.

 

Tiffany loves how nothing needed to be said though; that their members knew as soon as they saw their linked hands, as if it differed from the norm when it physically looks just like any two hands tied together.

 

Seulgi comes up to them when they’re walking around the SM building, a hop in her steps.

 

Tiffany catches her eyes lowering to find their fingers interlocked.

 

“Holding hands?” Seulgi’s smiling, rubbing her own hands together as if to stave off a chill. “Can I hold hands too?”

 

The look Tiffany shares with Joohyun is filled with confusion, but it’s Seulgi; she was as soft (and perhaps as clueless) as a cloud.

 

“Sure,” Tiffany says, letting go of Joohyun, pretends she isn’t missing her warmth.

 

She assumes it’d be Seulgi’s respective member she wants to hold until Seulgi’s clutching her fingers, surprise jolting into her arm that Tiffany yelps at the touch – completely unprepared.

 

Seulgi is beaming.

 

“I want to hold hands with sunbaenim, too!”

 

Tiffany finds herself swallowed in her own laughter, Seulgi’s innocent happiness infectious enough that it brings giddiness in her heart, too. She can’t help but swing their hands together, charmed with Seulgi’s bright giggles; her skin is softer than Tiffany expected it to be.

 

But the frost that chills her back is freezing.

 

Tiffany tries not to stutter when she holds out her other hand, hiding her wince when Joohyun’s icy glare is puncturing enough to have her go cold in absolute zero. Even with the sun holding her other hand – still as bright and beaming as ever, Tiffany swears Joohyun could freeze it, too.

 

“Come on, Hyun-ah.”

 

Seulgi’s chirpy beside her, as if completely oblivious to death standing before her.

 

“Let’s go, unnie!”

 

Tiffany can’t tell if Seulgi’s ignorant of their relationship, but she certainly knows one thing.

 

When Joohyun finally succumbs, feeling her fingers link between hers again, Tiffany is relieved that Seulgi’s lack of awareness is sharp enough to dull Joohyun’s icy stares.

 

“So how’s it like having Tiffany sunbaenim’s hands all to yourself?”

 

Tiffany yelps as soon as Joohyun swivels around her, almost throwing a successful right cross if not for Seulgi’s quick reflex to jump away, her howling laughter ricocheting against the walls.

 

As she watches Joohyun stumble after Seulgi, pink flaring her cheeks enough to have it beaming like neon (much like the time Joohyun’s hair had shared the same color) even when she’s already on the other side of the room, Tiffany can’t help but memorize beauty’s adorable embarrassment.

 

Pink will always be her favorite.