Chapter 7: Quarantined

My Overprotective Brother TOP
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Playing: Bad Boy - Big Bang (2012)

 

 

 

 

“Are you sure she didn’t catch anything weird?”

 

“For now we ruled out dengue fever, and it’s not pneumonia. We are still going to observe her to see if she’s contracted a virus, but for now what she needs is rest.”

 

“Okay...but she’s had dengue before, so I really need to make sure that’s not...”

 

“Seunghyun, it’s not dengue. We took her blood just to be sure. I will update you as soon as we get the rest of the results.”

 

I woke up to voices talking. My back lay flat on something soft, so I could tell that I wasn’t in the van. I was slipping in and out of consciousness, and the voices were familiar enough to get me stirring. Also, this is a very comfortable mattress. Where was I? I decided to regain my bearings first before opening my eyes.

 

“...he won’t kill me for this?” A female voice reached my listening ears.

 

“Of course not, Jina. Seunghyun hyung isn’t like that.”

 

“But she looks so pale,” I could hear Jina eonni sob, answering the male voice. “None of us caught a cold this bad, I feel like I didn’t care for her enough.”

 

“Her color’s returning; besides, before this, she had too many schedules. It’s not anything you could have done,” a third voice chimed in, soothing Jina eonni. My stomach lurch as I hear her rattle on and on with worry, so I slowly open my eyes.

 

Bright fluorescent lighting greeted me, and for a moment I squeezed it shut again. But somebody must have spotted me, because a figure hovered over my head.

 

“Sihyun-ah, do you feel okay now?” Jinseok-oppa’s face came into view, and I smiled slowly to let him know I’m alright.

 

“Sihyun!” Jina-eonni paused at my other side. “Thank God. Everyone was so worried.”

 

“Eonni, sorry,” I eked out, and she shook her head, long hair fanning her face.

 

“No, no. I’m sorry. I should have made you wear more clothes or checked your temperature last night.”

 

“Nah, I didn’t even feel like I was going down with something...” I mumbled, trying to piece the time and date together. Surely I haven’t been here that long?

 

Jina-eonni must have sensed my thought, because she assured me that they admitted me to the nearest hospital just a couple of hours ago. She said the film crew assisted us here, and that they were still in the location, finishing up.

 

I try to sit up, and Jinseok-oppa helped me, and I stared at the IV drip hooked to my arm.

 

What I didn’t notice is that the third voice was the last person I ever expected to see.

 

“Youngbae oppa? You’re here?” My eyes widen as I took in his form, standing at the edge of my bed.

 

I blinked. He’s still there. He grins.

 

“Why are you here?” I asked bluntly, and blushed when I realized my mistake.

 

He either does not notice nor does he comment on it, though.

 

“We were worried, but I’m glad you’re okay. I drove here with Jinseok and Seunghyun. We happened to be together when we heard from Jina.”

 

“Oh,” I managed only that, and he leans forward to pat my leg.

 

“Your oppa was just here. He’s currently pestering the doctor,” He continued, chuckling.

 

I tried to fight the growing giddiness in my stomach as I process this. Youngbae is here, before my hospital bed. Youngbae tasked himself to stay here even if he didn’t need to be.

 

Cue in swelling drama soundtrack.

 

Unfortunately, that’s when my brother decided to come back and nag me once again. He scolded me a bit for not resting enough and not taking any supplements, and for staying out late in the cold. I tried to defend myself, but I couldn’t make the right arguments because, obviously, I was the one in the hospital bed. To be fair, he has not once blamed Jina-eonni and he has made it obvious that he wasn’t mad at her.

 

But he sure took it out on me, to my annoyance.

 

“Next time, the moment that you feel in any way sick, don’t hesitate to tell your managers. You only got lucky that you made it till the last shoot.” Seunghyun oppa pursed his lips.

 

“I didn’t even know I was sick. I woke up feeling terrible.”

 

“But Jina told me you insisted that you can finish the shoot.”

 

“That’s because it’s one scene!”

 

“And you could have had it for another day, the director wouldn’t have minded.”

 

“She called the director, but I wanted to get it over with. It’s no joke to go back and forth here.”

 

“You’re lucky it wasn’t anything worse. And you’re lucky I haven’t left for my shoot yet.”

Please log in to read the full chapter