1/1

Of Instagram, Happiness, and Kimchi

The morning routine that Luhan does religiously would have to be waking up; grabbing his phone off the nightstand and unplugging it from the charger; positioning it near his face as he holds his thumb against the home button to unlock it; and finally tapping on the Instagram app on his home page. By the time the application has finished loading, Luhan would have already been awake enough to maneuver his way around the screen to check his notifications. Seeing a mention from his sweetheart would be all it took to bring a smile onto his face; a smile that only Oh Sehun could bring forth so early in the morning to a man that preferred to sleep in until at least noon. Reading the cute good morning message in the caption section below the photo of his boyfriend smiling in bed all cutely has inspired Luhan to respond with an early morning, no-makeup selca of his own. After snapping a cute smiling, closed-eyed photo of himself, Luhan’s finger is working diligently at swiping through the filters on VSCOcam to select one that he deems fitting for the photo and adds a cute caption:

“Good morning, my loves! And of course to my baby as well, @oohsehun. I miss you!”

A warm, bubbly feeling slowly builds inside of Luhan as he hits the post button, waiting a second or two before it shows up on his home feed and immediately a new notification pops up, and another, and another before he stops trying to keep track of it.

Luhan decides to get out of bed once he notices the time on his phone. A groan leaves his throat when he is reminded of why he has to get up so early. Sehun wanted to travel to the countryside today to visit his own grandparents so they must get up early, or so the other had insisted.

Quickly shuffling into the washroom where he foregoes the morning shower, figuring that it would be useless if he would get dirty by the end of the day and most likely to get dirty again before he would go to bed anyways. Luhan hums to himself as he brushes his teeth and cleans his face. He smiles brightly as he feels how baby soft his skin is. Despite Sehun liking to plant his lips on his cheeks, Luhan has managed to keep the said cheek as plump and glowingly smooth as a baby’s bottom and acne free. His skincare routine is no joke. Luhan quickly stuffs his toiletries into a bag and grabs his necessities and his duffle bag which he has packed the night before and heads to the living room.

Luhan leaves his home with a last look as he slings his duffle bag over his shoulder and shuts the door locked. The drive over to Sehun’s place that morning is a simple one that he can practically do in his sleep. He takes out his jumble of keys and sticks the one with a frog cap handle into the slot and turns.

“Luhan, give me a second!” Sehun shouts from his bathroom when he hears his front door opening.

The Chinese male is not surprised by his boyfriend’s tardiness and instead opens his phone and scrolls through his pictures. He finds a cute one with Sehun taken the last time they were out together and applies the appropriate filter before loading it onto Instagram. A big chunk of their income comes from sponsors that pays the homoual couple to wear their clothing or accessories and post it on Instagram along with a short promo message and finish it off with a promo code in his description as a lure for the future consumers. Luhan sits down on Sehun’s bed ready to take a cute photo for later uses if he feels his angles are just on point. While Sehun is in this bathroom getting ready, Luhan snaps a photo of him in Sehun’s bed, pulled the covers up to his chin and smiles contently with his eyes closed, a blissful expression on his face.

“This bed is my favourite bed!”

He uses the Tag People option of the application and tags Sehun to an open area of the bed in his picture, and awaits for the people to comment.

An influx of messages arrive in minutes and Luhan uses his free time and takes advantage of the comfortable position he is in to read them all. He smiles to himself at certain comments that are nice enough and quickly scrolls past the nasty ones. He closes his phone and pretends to sleep once he sees Sehun coming.

“Luhan, I’m ready to leave.” The Korean male announces.

Luhan tries to contain his facial expression as best as he could, and calms his breathing as well as his beating heart. This was his favourite game to play with Sehun.

The tall male freezes when he sees his boyfriend’s poor display to pretend that he’s asleep. The corners of his mouth twitch as he tries to contain his smile and how he tries to keep his bubbling laughter is almost too cute for Sehun to handle. Sehun decides to play along like he always does.

“Oh my, my boyfriend is so cute.” He whispers extremely close to Luhan’s face. The extra tug at the corner of his lips went noted by the other boy.

“What could I have done to deserve such a beauty in my life now, God?” Sehun muses to himself, waiting for Luhan to crack. “Such everlasting beauty is too good to grace this earth, Lord.” Sehun grins when he sees Luhan let his smile slip.

“Such… Sleeping beauty. I shall awaken you with my kiss.” He announces at last and does the finishing act to wake Luhan up. He swoops down and is almost at capturing the pair of lips already pouting, awaiting for another soft pair to land on his own.

Sehun stops a centimeter away from Luhan’s and the boy purses his lips, confused to why Sehun hasn’t kissed him yet. He opens his eyes out of irritation, annoyed with the thoughts that Sehun then left. Upon opening up his eyes, Luhan was greeted with an up close view of his boyfriend’s face.

“Caught you.” Sehun smiles widely as he closes the distant between him and Luhan’s lips with his own. He pecks him softly before rising from the bedside.

Luhan pouts, a whine leaving his lips but he smiles nonetheless after.

The couple leisurely strolls to their neighbourhood’s coffee shop to grab breakfast before they embark on their journey.

While waiting in the growing lineup of the small coffee shop, the two boys chat idly about their choices of the day. “What are you getting?” Sehun asks as his eyes scan the menu once they’re close enough.

“Probably the usual,” Luhan replies, “you?” he asks.

Sehun takes a moment longer to answer as his eyes scan over the familiar writing on the board above the barista’s head. Having been to this place often enough, the two of them has had the menu memorized, but Sehun continues to scan it every time they visit. Luhan, on the other hand, is not as nearly interested in the Cake of the Week flavor as Sehun is.

“I don’t know…” Sehun mumbles in reply.

The Chinese male rolls his eyes and stuffs his phone back into his back pocket. “I’ll order for you then.” He offers and walks up to the cashier first.

Once the two are waiting for their order, they joke around at the amount of school girls filing in through the door hoping to grab a drink to refresh themselves up. Whispers with their names and hands flying up to cover mouths as they chat to their friends are enough indications to Sehun and Luhan that people are recognizing them. Teenagers often stumble upon the Instagram accounts of either Sehun or Luhan and upon clicking onto a photo they would be redirected to the other automatically considering how often the two mention one another in their photos. This has stopped surprising Luhan but still leaves Sehun flustered every time someone asks if they’re really together in real life. Sehun is a lot more reserved in this love life than Luhan can be. The elder is a lot more open and a social butterfly while Sehun prefers to keep personal life a private matter.

“Iced Americano for Luhan.” The barista shouts out as she places the cup on the table in front of Luhan to pick up.

The whispers get louder and more heads are turning to the group of female students in their school uniforms hushing one another as they gossip about the couple. Sehun quickly takes his drink off the table once it’s ready and the two walk out with their drink and breakfast.

Some of the girls leave the line to follow the couple as they leave the store, and some even have their phones out as they walk faster to approach the two.

“Can we please take a picture with you?” One bold girl asks.

Luhan turns first, offering a smile and a nod, while Sehun stands idly by trying his best to look friendly. The two take pictures with everyone they can with their faces heating up as the elders around them look on curiously at group.

“We’re sorry to cut this short, but we really have to go. If we run into each other next time, please say hi!” Sehun offers up when he sees more girls approaching and the time ticking faster.

Everyone is sad to see them leave but they have no choice other than to let the boys go.

Once they are back in the apartment, Luhan grabs Sehun’s bag and the two head out with food settling into their stomachs.

The sun is already sitting above their heads as Sehun has one hand on the steering wheel. While the other is pushing his hair out of his face, Luhan, noticed this and hands Sehun a snapback from the backseat. Luhan fumbles with the buttons on the stereo as he plugs the auxiliary cord to his phone and scrolls through his iPod.

The music fills the air, the windows are rolled down as the two make their way down the highway, heading for the countryside home that Sehun’s grandparents resides at. Luhan is smiling happily and small conversation fills the car. The Chinese male has also grabbed Sehun’s phone to take a few selfies and snaps of the scenery as they drive back the lush greens and the occasional farm animals.

“Sehun-ah, we should post a picture of us on Instagram!” Luhan suggest, he turns on the camera app and switches the camera to front view.

Sehun takes his eyes off the road to stare into the camera after he has checked that the road is deserted except for them and no animals are to be standing at the edge of the road to cross. Luhan takes the picture, applies an appropriate filter and uploads the photo.

“Happy Sunday, everyone! Go outside and enjoy the sunshine with your loved ones.”

The picture is instantly filled with comments and likes the second it has refreshed back onto Sehun’s homepage. Luhan scrolls through the messages and reads the happy ones, and ignores the hate ones. Until the single comment that he can’t let go has pulled his lips down into a frown.

“Luhan, I see you’re all over your new boy toy.” The username looks foreign.

The hater has Luhan’s attention now. He clicks on the profile to see no posts, and no profile picture. The comment has put him on edge, and he can’t help but want to retaliate to the hate. He’s used to hate comments: people calling him gay, a , a sinner, and all the likes but being called a was something he detested the most. Luhan decides to ignore it after thinking of witty responses to say but think it would be less troublesome to just look over the comment.

As he refreshes the comments of his photo, new ones pop up; ones that mention the username of the hater, ones that are defending him.

“You’re just jealous that Luhan is with Sehun. Leave them alone! @aljexal”

“Stop it, or I will report you! @aljexal”

“@Aljexal screw off, no one wants you here.”

Luhan’s grin is spreading, his happiness and the warmth inside his chest is growing stronger and stronger as he reads each comment. The anger within him has extinguished completely, and he is thankful for the lovely girls and boys that follow him and Sehun. He decides to give them an extra treat as he opens the camera again.

A video is filmed of him talking, him telling everyone to go outside and enjoy the happiness and how grateful he is for their support. He also features a small part of Sehun by his side and gives a bright smile to the camera.

The video is uploaded and Luhan decides against scrolling through the comments and looking at the likes fill up this time. Instead, he opts to hold Sehun’s hand and turn the radio up and looks outside to the lovely view rushing by their eyes.

Slowly, the gentle caress of the wind coming in through the window, along with the soft music, and slight lull of the car brings Luhan into a peaceful slumber.

By the time Sehun wakes Luhan up with pecks on his lips, the other instantly smile and is rewarded with a soft, “Wake up, Sleeping Beauty. We’re here.”

Looking outside the car window, Luhan can see the people of Busan. The two get out of the car and Sehun quickly grabs the bags at the trunk of the car and rushes up to ring the doorbell of his grandparents’ house.

“Sehun! Luhan! It is so nice to see you guys again!” Grandma Oh greets as she surrounds both of them with her arms. “You guys got here so nice and early too!”

Big smiles were exchanged as the two male make their way inside the cramped, but homey place. Memories flush back in Sehun’s mind as he rethinks of how big the house seemed the last time he visit, which was too long ago in his opinion.

Grandpa Oh is in the kitchen table reading his newspaper and sipping on the black coffee when Luhan comes in and rushes to give him a kiss on the cheek and a hug. “Hi, Grandpa! I missed you! Did you miss me too?”

The elder man smiles at the endearing boy his grandson has chosen, “Yes, my little Lulu, of course I’ve missed you. How are you doing?”

Luhan sits down after fetching himself a cup of coffee and engages in a conversation about his life with Sehun’s grandpa. The oldest man of the family, Grandpa Oh, was the first one who accepted Luhan fully when the news broke out that he and Sehun were dating; therefore, he holds a special place in Luhan’s heart.

After a while, more neighbours are gathering at the Oh household. Grandma Oh has prepared light snacks while they wait for more people to arrive. Slowly, the mothers of the families nearby and grandmas are coming over, and they have successfully moved the table in the living room against the wall with the help of the lovely grandson.

The large bins are set, the weeks’ worth preparation and finding the perfection vegetables were already taken care of by the Oh grandparents, the gloves and aprons are on, Sehun and Luhan have both changed into an old t-shirt and shorts to prevent their clothes from staining. Kimchi making season is ready to start for the Oh household. Luhan is all smiles as he greets the elder ladies coming in and moving around the small house. Sehun is also still the same cute little boy everyone seems to remember him by; although, some ladies were upset with the fact that he was taken, Sehun conveniently left out the part that it was a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend that were calling lucky, when they tried to introduce him to their granddaughters or nieces.

Getting down and dirty, Sehun and Luhan sat on their knees as they were the only young men around that had the muscles to help the older women chop the large cabbage chunks. The teams have divided into ones preparing for the kimchi sauce base, ones working on preparing the vegetables, and ones doing the salt water brine.

“You’re doing it wrong, Luhan.” Sehun comments as he looks at his boyfriend slicing the cabbage.

Luhan pauses, looks up from his cabbage and onto the one Sehun’s holding, back to his own to compare, and finally to his boyfriend’s face. “What do you mean?”

“It’s wrong.”

Luhan blinks, panic starting to set in once he realized how many cabbage he has been cutting up his way, he looks over to his pile on the side and starts to face Sehun again, about to ask how he can fix it until he sees the extra lift of Sehun’s lips and the way his eyes appear smaller than usual.

Realization clicks in, and he retorts, “You ! How could you? I really thought I did something wrong here!” Luhan drops the knife he was holding and reaches over to shove Sehun off balance.

Hours later and the initial stage has been done. Luhan dries his hands off on his legs and grabs his phone off the table. He replies to the texts he received and opens up Instagram to update everyone on his day.

“Making kimchi with the bae” he posts a picture of Sehun washing his hands by the sink.

The two male are dismissed from their duties and given a new mission to go to the nearby convenience store to pick up refreshments for everyone. Sehun grabs onto Luhan’s hand as the walk down the hill, enjoying the way the winds cool off their body.

“Your family is really nice. Everyone around too.” Luhan comments.

Sehun is happy hearing this. The initial fear of Luhan being rejected by his grandparents’ friends are now gone from his mind, “I’m glad you think so. Thanks again for agreeing to spending your weekend here in this small town and helping my family make kimchi.” He swoops down to plant a kiss on Luhan’s cheek, causing the other man to grin wider than he was before.

“You’re welcome. I’m spending time with you anyways. I like you, you know. I don’t mind what we’re doing as long as we’re doing it together.” Luhan replies, hand squeezing Sehun’s in his grasp.

Once they get to the convenience store, girls are staring at the two men holding hands and while Luhan is slightly embarrassed by the stares, Sehun is too busy being nonchalant to notice the extra looks they were receiving.

Luhan lets go of Sehun’s hands and moves away from him when Sehun notices the discomfort on the Chinese man’s face. “Hey, don’t mind them.”

“They’re looking.” Luhan whispers back, spying on the people from the corner of his eyes as he tries to focus hard on the selection of ice cream in front of him.

Sehun turns around, and the people immediately avert their eyes away. “I thought it was because you’re so breathtaking.”

The shy male flushes at the compliment and shoves the other back lightly for his cheesy words. “Stop it,” Luhan hisses under his breath. “People could have heard that.”

“I don’t care, honey. I’m not scared of what others think. Our grandparents already know that we’re dating. It’s no surprise to them when the rumors spread that I’m holding hands with another boy.”

Luhan looks up, eyes wide. “What about those other ladies? They wanted to introduce you to their granddaughters. They’ll judge us. What if they judge your grandparents too? Luhan worries, his eyes scanning the people around them once again.

Sehun’s eyebrows furrow, “You should know that my grandparents don’t give a damn about what others think. My grandparents love you anyways. You know that.”

Seeing the ideas weighing themselves in Luhan’s eyes, Sehun leans down and plants a solid kiss on his lips. “I hope you’ll stop worrying so much.”

A final sigh leaves Luhan’s lips. “Okay. I’m sorry for being so self-conscious.” He gives Sehun a bright smile that reassures the other that no dark thoughts are still looming over his mind. “You’re going to pay, right? I didn’t bring my wallet.”

With a roll of his eyes, Sehun pats Luhan’s . “I know you brought your wallet. When do you ever leave anywhere without your phone and wallet?”

Luhan chuckles, happy that Sehun has gotten to know him so well within the past two years they have been together. “You caught me.”

Once they have made it back home, everyone else is just finishing up putting aside the materials and ingredients. Luhan spots a huge pot of red pepper paste sitting on the ground beside the fridge and refrains from taking a sniff at the concoction that can probably burn the inside of his nostrils.

Drinks have been distributed by Luhan while Sehun puts the ice cream into the freezer and save them for after dinner. The two boys are back at helping as they prepare and set the dinner table up after the other families have left the small home, which seems bigger now, to return back for dinner with their own family.

“Luhan, I heard you’re planning to go back to school?” Grandpa Oh asks over the dinner table.

Luhan nods, “Yes. I’m going to go to Sehun’s university next school year for a dentistry program.”

“My boyfriend is going to be with me all the time now!” Sehun happily comments, giving both his grandparents a triumph grin.

Grandma Oh frowns, “Yah, Oh Sehun. You better keep your grades up; otherwise, I’m taking Luhan away from you. You can’t be bothering Luhan all the time with your childish antics either. Leave the boy alone and let him succeed. He needs to feed you guys later in life. Got it?” She scolds the youngest.

An offended expression graced the face of the lanky boy, “Excuse me, Grandma. I’m going to be the one feeding Luhan later in life. Not the other way around!”

“What are you talking about? You spend way too much money on take out. I’m going to be the one making you meals and cleaning up after you. Like a babysitter.” Luhan snorts, turning to high-five Grandma Oh.

Loud laughs were heard from the warm household as they finish their dinner. Sehun is happy to be seeing his grandparents again, while Luhan is happy to be spending time with the man he love’s family.

“Luhannie, I have a few new face masks I bought. You’re going to try them on with me later, right? I wanted to have someone to watch dramas and wear sheet masks with but Jisung here,” she jerks her thumb to the old man next to her, “won’t entertain me once in a while.” She pouts at the Chinese male who resists the urge to pinch her cheeks.

“Oh course Sehun and I will do it with you tonight. How about before bed?”

Sehun chokes on his water, “I’ll be doing what?”

“Face masks with Hannie and I!” Grandma Oh is ecstatic to finally have someone to enjoy a spa night with.

Nighttime finally rolls around and after Sehun and Luhan took their showers, separately because their grandparents might be a little awkward they took it together, they all returned to the master bedroom of the house to check out the sheet mask collection.

Sehun is busy reading all the labels to find out their effects, while Luhan is busy telling Grandma Oh all his skincare secrets.

“Etude house makes good sheet masks, but I really prefer Skinfood, or even Innisfree.” He tells, and even goes into further details of which his recommendations were from the brands to help with the old woman’s skin needs.

“Luhannie is so knowledgeable!”

“That’s because he used to work there, Grandma.” Sehun informs.

Luhan opts for a brightening one while Sehun goes for the red wine one because it sounded unique, which earned him eye rolls all around the room. “You’re doing it wrong, babe. Turn over here.” Yanking his face over by the chin, Luhan pulls the mask off and reapplies it to Sehun’s face.

Grandma Oh smiles on as she observes their cute interactions, with the occasional teasing from both sides. She doesn’t miss the quick kiss Sehun gives Luhan as the other leans in close enough as he fixes the mask for it to stay on properly.

After 20 minutes of watching the reruns of some drama on TV, one that Luhan has never even heard of, and a million other pictures for Instagram, Sehun and Luhan are ready to go to bed.

Sehun wraps his arms around his smaller lover and kisses the top of his head, “I love you, Luhan. Good night.”

Yawns escapes his mouth and sleepiness fills his system, Luhan is only coherent enough to mumble back the same thing and kiss Sehun’s chin goodnight.

The morning is not a pleasant one that Sehun and Luhan were used to. The serene surrounding of their bedroom was replaced with loud chatters and pots and pans banging into one another. Both were woken up with the screech that filled the air and loud thumping of feet heading towards the guest room they were residing in.

“Sehunnie oppa is back!” and a bark followed the loud call.

Sehun sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he wills the two orbs to focus on the voice in front of him.

Upon recognizing the little kid and dog, Sehun smiles, “Hello, Minhee, how are you today?” and gave her a little wave.

The Pomeranian jumped on his lap and at his face, “Hello to you too, Moonju.”

“Hanhan oppa is with you too! Yay!” Minhee laughs as she settles herself in between the two boys.

Kwon Minhee is a little girl they have met before. The first time that Luhan had ever met Sehun’s grandparents, and she was nothing but a bundle of joy. Along with her came her best friend, the seven-year-old Pomeranian dog named Moonju.

“Granny says to come downstairs for breakfast and then we’ll all finish making the kimchi!”

The boys finish up their breakfast and heads back down to continue another day’s hard work. This time they’re going to be joining right in the latest town’s gossip as well as a full on heated discussion about a drama they’ve only heard about briefly.

Luhan is working on coating both sides of the cabbage’s leaf with the kimchi sauce diligently until he is nudged by Sehun on his left.

“I’m going to show you something tonight, okay?”

Luhan nods and turns back to his work.

After the hours spent hunch over the large bins of cabbage, they are finally done.

Everyone was able to take home a few jars of kimchi and Sehun was given three to bring back to his parents. Luhan kindly accepted a jar for himself to bring back to the apartment he lived at.

Nightfall has happened when Sehun calls for Luhan and the two leave the house after telling the grandparents not to wait up for them. They walk hand in hand, with a backpack Sehun had packed beforehand to a hill Luhan was not familiar with.

“Where are we going? You’re not taking me stargazing, are you, Oh Sehun?”

Sehun stops abruptly and turns to look at Luhan. “Isn’t this one of your bucket list items?” He asks, astonished by the turns of event. Did Luhan not want to go?

Luhan stares back with wide eyes, “Wait? I’m right?”

The Korean male dumbly nods, “Well… I saw that you’ve wanted to go stargazing with, may I quote, “With the one I love the most”, a part of your bucket list?”

Blinking rapidly, Luhan isn’t sure what to think.

“What… bucket list? The one I made when I was in grade nine?”

Sehun gasps, “That was in grade nine? Why does your handwriting still look the same? Why is it framed and in your closet?”

A grimace surfaced on Luhan’s face, “What’s that supposed to mean?” he mumbles, offended that Sehun thinks his handwriting is still like that of a child’s. “It’s still framed and in my closet because I still wanted to cross it out, but I totally forgot about it until like right. That’s why it’s in the back of my closet, dummy.”

“Well, whatever. We’re still going to cross it out. I refuse to let you cross it off with someone else. I’ll always be the one you love the most.” Sehun stuck his tongue out, pulling Luhan along the path anyways.

Finding a comfortable spot on the high hill, Sehun pulls out a thin picnic blanket from his backpack and settles it down. Sehun lays down with his head on Luhan’s lap, and Luhan leaning back on his arms, and they look up at the sky.

“That looks like a person, Sehun.” Luhan points to an area in the vast sky that has Sehun agreeing even though he doesn’t know where he’s supposed to look.

A long stretch of silence with no one speaking up is quite relaxing on the mind and body as they enjoy the twinkling bulbs in the night sky and each other’s presence. Luhan is clearly in an incredible mood. His boyfriend was just too sweet.

“The sky is much clearer here.” Luhan comments.

Sehun nods, “Yes it is. We should definitely come back.”

“Of course, and I’ll be back with the one I love the most.” Luhan gives a cheeky grin and leans down to give Sehun a slow kiss trying to convey all his thankfulness and happiness into their light touch of lips.

He’s happy where he is. No matter what, Sehun will always be the one he loves the most.