Chapter 5

I'll Be Beside You Forever.

Cora

"I really don't see what that has to do with anything," I said.

"Come on, Cora, just tell me who it is!" She laughed as I made a grab for it and held it high out of my reach.

"Tessa, just give it back!" I reached with all my might but still couldn't reach it.

She laughed and held it out, palm up.

"If you can take this from me, Young Grasshoppa~..." She spoke in a mach-Chinese accent.  "Only then will I retire from asking you these questions."

"Tessa, just give me my phone." I growled.  She laughed with glee, just like she did as a child.  Her cheeks showed their dimples, her blonde curls bounced, her eyes lit up with joy.

"I don't understand why you won't just tell me who he is, I mean, it's not like he's some random guy that knocked you up or anything--" I stayed quiet as the heat rushed to my cheeks, my eyes hit the floor. "Oh...my God.  Cora, are you kidding me right now?  Cora...you're pregnant?!"

Before I could answer, she captured me in a tight hug and began jumping up and down in excitement, squealing.  "Cora, this is great!  I mean, our kids can be best friends! And--Cora?  Are you okay?"

She held me out at an arms length and watched as the tears in my eyes began spilling out.

"Cora, what's wrong?"

I shook my head, wiping at my cheeks with shaking fingers.  I wouldn't be able to speak through the lump in my throat anyway.  She hugged me again, rubbing my back just like Dad used to.  The memory brought fresh tears to my eyes and they spilled over too.  Before I knew it, I was sobbing.

"Did you break up?" She asked me quietly.  I nodded and tried to swallow the pain in my throat and heart.

"But that wasn't just it." I wanted to tell her. 

"I was the one that ended it."  I wanted to shout.

And I'm still in love with him...

 


Sorry that I've been gone for a really long time and left you guys wondering where I went. :(  I was just enjoying my summer vacation...probably a little too much.  But I'm back and writing, so I hope you guys are ready for frequent updates again! :D