Chapter Four

Where'd You Go?

A/N: I'll spare you all my usual complaints. Enjoy!


{THREE YEARS EARLIER}

“Soryong, would you, just for once” growled Daeryong at his twin brother, doing everything in his power from reaching over and punching him in the face. Did he not understand the situation they were in? Knowing he was about to do something stupid he took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down just the slightest bit.

“What Daeryong? For once what? I told you I wanted nothing to do with Donghae or his damned Sun Yee On Triad. Why do you keep trying to drag me in?” his twin protested his own anger just as evident as his brothers.

It was always the same argument between them, and Daeryong was getting tired of having to force his younger brother into doing what he had to, with another sort growl he grabbed his twin by his jacket, shaking him lightly trying to make him see reason “Don’t tell me you forgot already, but we owe our lives to him. The least we can do…”

“I ing know that, as if you’d ever ing let me forget.” Soryong snapped back, yanking himself out his brother’s hold. Taking a step back Soryong tried not to think about how right his brother was. They did owe their lives to Donghae, and no matter what he did he’d be in his debt until he died for him. The thought weighed heavy on his mind, he wasn’t his own person anymore. He was just another one of the millions of men that worked for the Dragon Head. Lifting a hand to push his hair out of his face he heard his older brother sigh, it had been so easy for Daeryong to give his life to gang leader, and he wondered why it was so difficult for him to do it.

“Soryong please, just get this done.”

He said please, which told him Daeryong knew he had already given up and was going to do what he was told. He pressed his lips together, and matched his brother’s gaze defiantly for a second before stomping out of the room, leaving the other to groan out.

“He’ll leave soon.”

Daeryong froze, he knew that voice anywhere. It was the voice of the man who had saved him and his brother from death. Immediately he turned around, greeting the older male with a bow. “Hyungnim, I wasn’t aware you’d be stopping by.”

Donghae gave him a faint smile and gestured for him to straighten up, “No I wanted to surprise one of my favorite Red Poles.” Daeryong nodded, unsure of how else to respond. Donghae still terrified him, even though he had years working for the other, and even though he had known him before he became the Dragon Head, he just gave off this aura that could make anyone tremble in fear. His charming smiles, and polite words only added to his character.

“He’ll leave soon.” Donghae repeated, leaning against a small table, hands tucked carefully in his Alexander McQueen suit, he looked horribly out of place in the small house they had been staying in while Daeryong finished some business. “He just needs a reason to stay.” Daeryong replied suddenly feeling nervous for his brother, he knew you couldn’t just walk away from the Triads, after all he had delivered the punishments on numerous occasions. He glanced at Donghae from the corner of his eyes, and he just knew if it came down to it, he’d be the one put in charge of his brother.

“Well, let’s hope he finds his reason soon.” Donghae replied cheerily, giving the twin an eye smile that sent a shiver down his spine. “Yes.” He replied simply unable to form any other words. Donghae seemed content with his response and stood up happily, “Well then since that’s settled, why don’t we go get some Jian Bing? I’m starved and I could do with something quick.”


Soryong huffed as he sat in his car, the pouring rain outside made it hard to see which car was coming up road but the rain would definitely make his job a little easier. He knew how to do this, he and Daeryong had been trained for this but no matter how many times he did this, he just couldn’t get used to it. These were real people who hadn’t necessarily done anything bad, they just had a debt to the gang. A debt they hadn’t been able to pay off. Just like him, and deep down he knew that if he didn’t get his act together he’d end up like them. He huffed in frustration and slammed his fist against the steering wheel. He had no control of his life and he wondered how did it come to this?

“This is en bull.”

Just as the words left his mouth a car went shooting past him before it swerved off the road crashing straight into a tree. That had to be his target, without skipping a beat he jumped out of the vehicle, a small tool case in his arms. Judging by how fast the car had been going he only had a few minutes before it caught on fire. If it caught on fire, if not he’d have to start one.

The road was relatively empty so he reached the vehicle in no time and immediately started removing the license plates, starting with the back one before moving to one in the front. He had to do this quickly, he couldn’t risk another car seeing the accident and calling the cops while he was still there, or worse have some good samaritan interfere. “Come on Soryong you got this.” He muttered to himself as he dropped down trying to check under the car for any sign of dripping fuel and sure enough it was dripping out accompanied by the ticking noise of an engine still trying to run. He was almost done he just had one more thing to do. Stuffing his tools into the small box he straightened up and froze.

It was a girl, his target wasn’t supposed to be a girl. His throat tightened, at least that was not what they told him. He rummaged through his pant pockets, fumbling through them until he found his phone, quickly pulling up the message with the details of his task. The man in the picture was definitely not the girl unconscious in the front seat.

His body moved without him, throwing the driver’s door open he inspected her to see if it was safe to move her without causing any more damage to her. Her legs were fine but she had scratches on her arms, and what looked like a broken wrist but he couldn’t be too sure. And there was blood, streaming down the side of her face. His stomach churned, she could already be dead.

A soft hiss reminded him that he didn’t have time to be thinking things through, if he was going to help her, he had to move her now before the car killed them both. Soryong undid the seatbelt and as carefully as he could in his haste, his slipped one arm under her legs and another behind her back and took her a distance away from the car. Even with his head all jumbled up he knew he couldn’t just leave his tool box was still by the car. If he left any clue he had been there then Donghae would have his head. Gently laying her down on the floor he suddenly found it very hard to leave her laying on the floor like that.

It was weird, despite the scratches and the blood on her face he could tell she was pretty. But that wasn’t why couldn’t leave her. Something in his chest demanded he stay with her, he had to keep her safe. Growling to himself he forced himself to look away from her, he had to get his tools. He wouldn’t be able to keep her safe for long if someone found them. He half expected the car to burst into flames as he approached it but he was able to grab his tools and get back to the pretty girl, and still nothing with the car. Although it wasn’t necessary anymore, a selfish part of him hoped the car would catch on fire, maybe then he could be with her for a while longer.

Kneeling down next to her, he hesitated touching her again but slowly he reached his hand out, gently touching her cheek. She was cold and her skin was damp from the rain, but her skin was still soft. As if hypnotized by her face he outlined her features with his finger tips, her lips, her cheekbones, the bridge of her nose, and finally her forehead where his fingers became tinted pink and he remembered.

She could be dead already.

For some reason the thought had his heart racing. She couldn’t be, he didn’t even know who she was, or her name, or what her voice sounded. She just couldn’t be dead.

“No. No. No.” he cried out unsure what to do with his hands anymore. His phone, he still had his phone. Not caring that his phone was getting soaked he quickly found the contact that he needed. “Hyung! Daeryong, you’ve got to help her. Please.”

“Soryong?”

“Daeryong don’t let her die!”

“Soryong what’s wrong?”

“Daeryong please” he begged frantically reaching out to take ahold of her hand “I’ll do anything. Save her…I’ll do anything…please.”