Just Looking for a Little Light

Cruel Treasure (So Precious)

Again, if you haven't read #38 in the Counting to Infinity drabble collection, you should read that first here.


Remember, remember the 5th of November--gunpowder, treason, and plot...

The air is cold but it's crisp and the way it bites at Baekhyun's cheeks is a welcome reprieve from the heated blush that hasn't left since Chanyeol asked him out for Bonfire Night two days ago. Nights like this--ones so clear that every time Baekhyun looks to the sky there are more stars to be seen--are exactly what Baekhyun loves about November. Except this November evening is easily becoming the best Baekhyun's ever had because Chanyeol is with him. Chanyeol makes Baekhyun light up in a way he no longer thought he could. Baekhyun cherishes that; craves that.

And something in Baekhyun calls to something in Chanyeol that says "It's okay. You aren't the only one who's lost something inexplicably precious and irreplaceable. I understand."

Baekhyun appreciates that. In fact he didn't even realize how deeply he yearned for someone who could relate to his hurt until Chanyeol came along. The taller, lankier boy looked so broken when they first met that Baekhyun swears his very soul wept for him. That was September; when Baekhyun fell asleep in a fully lit room and Chanyeol leant a sweater to keep the strange new boy warm. It's been a couple of months since that moment but Baekhyun hasn't given the sweater back yet. He's wearing it tonight, actually.

When Chanyeol meets Baekhyun at the Byun front door he's wearing a shy smile and he's brushed his hair a little which makes Baekhyun smile shyly back at him. But then Chanyeol sees the sweater and the way it eclipses Baekhyun's tiny form so perfectly. Suddenly Chanyeol's all soft looks and happier eye crinkles and quiet compliments that make Baekhyun's heart clench and his stomach flutter. Their hands brush as they walk side by side to the school's football pitch and everything in Baekhyun is screaming to just hold Chanyeol's hand to never let go because Chanyeol is just that radiant. So he does.

Except it's Chanyeol who laces their fingers together and pulls Baekhyun a little closer to shield him from the cold. Before either of them realizes they've made it to the bonfire but they've also somehow ended up with Chanyeol's arm around Baekhyun's shoulder and Baekhyun's cheek pressed hard against Chanyeol's chest. Their peers are everywhere, drinking and carrying on like Bonfire Night is the last of their lives, but Baekhyun and Chanyeol are content to just stand before the fire drinking it in.

It's more light and heat than either of them remember how to handle and so they clutch at each other desperately. Their lips meet because the fire Baekhyun brings to Chanyeol's gut is more manageable than the one burning a few feet away and the glow of near happiness that Chanyeol incites in Baekhyun isn't quite as blinding. It's not enough, not quite, but it's far more than usual and that is enough for both of them.

...There is no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.