As Long As She Is Safe

As Long As She Is Safe - Jay Park

Moving your foot from the gas pedal to the brake, you slowly pressed the brake feeling the car slow under your control. Turning on your left blinker, you stopped before the crosswalk waiting for the red turn signal to turn green. Gently, your thumbs tapped against the steering wheel while your lips slowly moved to the song that was melodically spilling from your speakers. Quietly, your voice mingled with the voice of your fiance’s song that was filling the cab of your car.

Eventually the light turned green as you carefully turned into the group of buildings, carefully maneuvering your car around to the back parking lot of the company you were contracted under. Grabbing your purse, you slipped your phone inside before exiting your car.

“Ms. _______, I am your chauffeur for the evening and I will take you to the concert.” The nice middle aged man introduced himself.

“Thank you, sir” You bowed back as he showed you towards the sleek black car.

Opening the door, you slid into the back seat of the ebony car, the light beige of the leather welcomed you as the wonderful new-car-smell surrounded you as the door closed slowly after you got settled in your seat. Pulling your seat belt across your body, you clicked it into place as the driver took his seat and started the car.

Pulling your phone out from your purse, you unlocked it with ease as your fiance’s picture covered the background of your screen. A smile pulled onto your lips as your smile slowly parted showing off your white teeth. Next, you pulled out your ear buds and plugged cord into your phone as you settled the buds into your ears before choosing a song from your pre-concert playlist. Listening to the songs take you from one mind set to another your eyes slowly closed allowing yourself to focus on the music.

Feeling the car take a few turns, you opened your eyes and gazed out the dusk lighting that cut between the buildings. The remaining sunlight bounced off of the glass windows, reflecting the beautiful sunset across the sides of the buildings. A buzzing in your hand pulled your attention away from the beautiful lighting outside of the car.

Have a successful concert, jagiya! I love you with my whole heart <3 -JP

Reading your fiance’s message to you, you smiled positioning your thumbs to type back. Feeling the car take a left turn, horns blared as your held jolted upwards and out your window just to see a pair of headlights coming right for you. Inhaling a breath of fear, you lifted your arms up to try and protect yourself as you felt the impact, the car lifted and flipped onto it’s roof as the sound of metal screeching against concrete surrounded you.

Sliding to a stop, the car rocked slightly from it’s venture, feeling the car stop your eyes slowly opened trying to get a grasp on where you were. Peering out the shattered windows, you saw legs gathering around your vehicle as your hands dropped to the roof of the car, trying to keep your body from crumbling down on your head.

“H-H-Help” You stammered quietly, the adrenaline started to slowly fade from your veins as there was much commotion outside of the vehicle. Lights started to fill the darkening light out side of the car as you tried to hit one of your hands against the car to create some sound for people to hear.

“Please” Your voice seemed weaker than before as you felt a familiar stinging come to your eyes, “Help” You whispered as you blinked slowly, your vision slowly becoming increasingly blurry.

A person came into view as they yelled, calling more people over towards the crumpled car.

“Help me” You whispered, watching the silhouette of person lay down and try and reach out for you. Feeling a human touch against your skin, you closed your eyes and felt yourself go limp.

Fighting to stay awake, you opened your eyes as your body was lifted onto a bed and rushed towards flashing lights. Slowly trying to look around you, you saw medical personnel on either side of you. Lifting you up into the ambulance, you watched a man crawl into the back with you before two pounds were heard before the vehicle moved.

“Do you hurt anywhere?” The man questioned, placing an oxygen mask over your nose and mouth as you slowly nodded your head but felt something hard trying to keep it in place. “Blink once for yes and two for no”

Blinking once, you watched him pull a tube from one of the compartments and insert a needle into your arm before he injected you with some medicine to help you with the pain. Slipping an oxygen monitor onto your finger, you slowly moved your hand and rested it on his hand. His eyes lifted to yours as he tried to figure out what you were trying to communicate to him.

“Jay Park” You managed to speak as he nodded

“We will contact him when you are stabilized” He told you, a small smile pulling on his lips as he looked up at your vitals but the second his eyes met the screen, that smile dropped from his lips.

“She’s crashing“ He called to the driver before everything around you went fuzzy and black.

“Enough warming up, let’s get working” Jay’s choreography adviser called through the large room filled with several back up dancers.

“Warming up is the most important though” Jay teased passing his adviser, teasing him a little, stealing the words right from his adviser’s mouth.

“Yah, I think you are plenty warmed up” His adviser pushed him playfully before staring the music as everyone fell into formation, working on an older dance that everyone knew to get them in sync with each other.

The music filled the room as the toned bodies moved around the room, heat in the room began to rise as they continued to work on newer choreography.

An incoming call lit up Jay’s phone as numbers ran across the screen in an attempt to contact him. Several times the number called but with Jay not being able to hear the call over the music pumping out of the speakers, the call continued to ring, eventually falling unanswered.

“Good job guys, we will be done for the night” The adviser ended the music and pulled out his phone seeing it was a little bit before midnight. The guys played around a little, slowly shuffling back to their bags littering the far wall, by the door.

Digging around in his bag, Jay eased himself down on the leather bench in the room as the guys filed out of the room, waving tiredly at each other. Jay thumbed through his notifications as he found it a little odd that you hadn’t texted him back yet. Shifting his eyes to the clock on the wall, he figured it was way past the ending of your concert.

Dropping his eyes back down to his phone, he continued to catch up on his notifications as he noticed several missed calls from the same number. Not bothering to call that number back, a new incoming call came through as he glanced down at his phone as he rose to his feet.

“Hey Mom” He smiled as the words spilled from his mouth, he leaned down and lifted his bag up and over his shoulder.

“Jay, have you heard?!” His mother’s tone was noticeably different than usual.

“What do you mean? I just got done with practice….” He started to slowly walk towards the door, “What are you doing up? Isn’t this time of day still really early for you?” He questioned trying to calculate the time difference between him and his family.

“Something has happened…” She started, “Is there a way that you can come home early?”

“Are you two okay?” Jay quickly questioned.

“We are okay, but ______ isn’t” His mom’s voice slowed with sorrow.

“_______, what’s wrong with her?! Did something happen?!” His tone increased greatly hearing it was about you.

“J-Just….” His mother took her lips between her teeth to gather her thoughts for a moment before speaking again, “See if you can’t come back home, if you can’t we will take care of everything.”

“I’ll talk to him right now.” He says with a hint of desperation.

Ending the call, he quickly trotted down the halls passing by several doors before opening knocking on his manager’s door.

“Come in” A voice beckoned as he slipped through the door.

“What did he say?” Jay’s father questioned gently as he took a seat by his wife.

“He was going to talk with the manager and then call us back” She whispered as her eyes moved over your body laying on the bed motionless.

Within minutes, the phone rang in her hands.

“Mom?” Jay’s voice cooed over the phone, “The soonest I can come home is a week…. will you take care of her for me until then?”

“Of course, just focus on your work and she will be taken care of” His mother tried to stay strong as a little conversation followed about his trip overseas. Ending not long after, the call ended between them as his mother carefully walked over to your bed side and took your hand in hers.

“Heal well, sweetie” Jay’s mother whispered as she held your hand as she would her own daughters.

After arriving at the hospital, you spent half a day in a light coma, the next few days working on eating and drinking again before they released you.

“Where will I be staying until Jay comes home?” You questioned while the nurse wheeled you down to their car parked under the overpass.

“With us, Jay should be home tomorrow, but in the meantime you are going to stay with us.” His father smiled down at you as he brushed your cheek lightly with his fingers. Nodding softly, they helped you into the car and carefully drove you home.

A little while later, they pulled you into the driveway that winded back to their larger home, tucked away in a cluster of trees. Pulling up into their garage, you carefully lifted the seat belt from around you as his father opened the door for you and helped you balance as you exited the car.

“Why don’t you two head inside and I will grab the bags” His father says as his mother nodded and wrapped her arm around yours to try and keep you steady.

Taking it at your pace, his mom brought you inside as your eyes slowly scanned the beautifully simple yet cozy house.

“This way sweetie” She cooed gently as she guided you down one of the many hallways.

“Where are we going?” You questioned seeing many door pass you before she placed her hand on one of the door’s handles.

“Jay’s room, I think you would be most comfortable there” She smiled and pushed the door open revealing his room as it was a perfect representation of Jay.

“I can’t stay in his room…” You whispered, looking around a little

“Well I could get one of the guest bedrooms ready quickly but if you want to hang out in his room, I can get the other bedroom ready” His mother offered as you nodded. She helped you inside as she eased you down on his bed.

“I’ll go get that room ready for you” She whispered before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

Looking around his room, you relaxed and rested listening to his radio that was next to his bed. Not long after she had left the room, a knock came from the door as you turned off the radio as the door opened slowly.

“I thought you may like some homemade soup, it will help you get better and soothe that sore throat of yours” His father gave you a sweet smile, the skin wrinkling on the edges of his eyes as he slowly approached your bed with his hands holding a tray with a large bowl of soup and some water.

“Thank you, I am a little hungry” You rubbed your stomach gently, right after you started to rub your stomach it growled in hunger as you pressed your hand into your abdomen.

“How about we feed that hunger monster” His father remarked with a smile. Setting the tray over your legs, he carefully lifted the spoon and began to feed you, letting him pamper you, your thoughts turned to Jay wondering how he would be taking care of you.

After you finished all of the soup that you could, his father removed the tray from your legs and pulled a blanket over you.

“Your room will be ready in an hour, so if you want to rest you are more than welcome to, we will wake you when it is ready” He smiled as you nodded and slid yourself down onto the mattress.

The sheets were filled with Jay’s scent, your eyes fluttered closed at the familiar scent. Pulling his adjacent pillow closer against you, you nuzzled into the pillow and felt yourself relax and sink into his bed comfortably.

Jay tried to concentrate on his work however his mind always kept thinking of you, since the accident, he couldn’t help but think of you. Wondering how you were holding up, the damage that you received, if you were out of the hospital and how his parents were treating and looking after you. Even though he texted his parent’s every chance he had, he would check on your recovery, he still wanted to be the one to take care of you, the one to hold you when you fell asleep, the one to feed you and the one cleaning your wounds, he wanted to be the one.

At the end of the week, Jay boarded the first plane he could catch to bring him back home. Driving his car from the airport, his thumb tapped against the steering wheel slightly nervous to see you, but excited to be back home with you. Guiding his car into the driveway, he exited the car, quickly grabbing his luggage, lugging it through the front door, he set them down and trotted over to his father.

“Jay” His father called seeing his son trot over towards him.

“How is she?” Jay breathlessly questioned as he tried to search his father’s eyes for answers.

“Doing better than before.” His father finally whispered, his eyes dropping in sorrow before leading the way to his room, where you were staying.

Once faced with the pine door that separated you from Jay, Jay carefully wrapped his hand around the handle as he took in a deep breath, trying to brace himself for whatever he was about to see. Pushing the door opened, he entered in quietly coming to your side quickly as his eyes glanced over your body laying on his bed.

“Sweetie…” He whispered, his hand slowly lifting and resting over one of the hands that were laying by your side. A heavy weight began to form around his heart, a lump gathered in his throat as he took a few deep breaths trying to keep himself calm.

“What happened?” He questioned, his eyes not moving from your battered face.

“She was pulled from her car that flipped on the roof from a utility truck that lost control.” His father informed, moving over beside his wife.

“She didn’t make it to her concert” His mother added as Jay nodded, keeping his eyes still on you.

“As long as she is safe…. that is all that matters” Jay mumbled, easing himself down beside you so he can stay by your side.