ch20

Are You Sure?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo's lying flat on his back, his hands holding up a paperback as he rolls along his soft mattress to the side. It's a few days since the whole dramatic 'confession', should we say, and Wonwoo still can't stop thinking about it. The beaming look on Mingyu's face, the expressions of disbelief on his friends' faces and of course, the high pitched screeching. It was funny, really. But most of all, it was just the greatest thing Wonwoo had ever done. No big deal though. Not at all.

His body twists round again when the text notification from his phone goes off. He grabs at it, fingers warm against the metal device, hoping it might just be his boyfriend. It's not; it's the group chat.

Seungkwan: so it's definitely not a joke right
sent: 9:14 pm

Wonwoo lets out a tiny snort at the fact that his friends are still coming to terms with the whole situation and rolls onto his back again, his lips quirking up into an excited smile.

Wonwoo:  It's real ok
sent: 9:15 pm

Seungcheol: yo dont kill me but i thought wonwoo was with jun
sent: 9:17 pm

Mingyu: e xcuse me??!???!?????????????!
sent: 9:17 pm

Jun: if minghao wasn't in this universe then maybe _へ__(‾◡◝ )>
sent: 9:18 pm

Jun: wait no if minghao wasn't in this universe i'd fly to another universe for him ( ˵ ◕ д ◕ ˵ )━☆゚.*・。゚
sent: 9:18 pm

Wonwoo chuckles out loud. Jun and Minghao had literally just told everyone about their relationship too, well not everyone- just the guys. To be exact, it was just a lot of blushing (mostly from Minghao), exaggerated coughing, and gesturing towards their interlaced fingers.

Mingyu: WONWOO HYUNG IS MINE OK
sent: 9:18 pm

Wonwoo: ...mingyu
sent: 9:19 pm

Seokmin: [wonwoo voice] >///////////////< kyaaa miNGYU~~~~~
sent: 9:19 pm

Wonwoo begins to type back a reply (something along the lines of 'i'll punch-') when the sound of his front door unlodging grabs his attention and he instinctively flings his phone away, head turning to his bedroom door and listening for the familiar footsteps of his mum. "Mum?" He calls out, "is that you?" Wonwoo knows it sounds stupid, because who else could it be? But honestly if it was a serial killer he'd be screwed-

"I'm home," comes her tender voice, obviously exhausted and almost concerned.

Wonwoo jumps off his bed and leaps down the stairs two steps at a time. "Mum," he breathes out a smile and holds his hand out for her bags of groceries. "What's for dinner?" He peeks into the plastic bags and digs his hand in as he carries them to the kitchen.

The overwhelming sound of the packaging rustling throws Wonwoo into the realisation that his mum hasn't said anything. He stops manhandling the bottles of soy sauce and turns to her, "mum? What's wrong?"

"Wonwoo," she begins, voice almost strict as she places a hand against the kitchen counter and looks him in the eye. "I heard something from the other parents earlier at the supermarket. This might sound strange but..."

Her voice fades out as Wonwoo's lower lip folds into his upper lip. She knows. His fingers claw at the marble countertop, and his stomach stirs. "Mum-" Wonwoo begins, voice unsure and weak. She stares at him, waiting for an answer, but he's not even all too sure of what she just told him.

"Is it true?" She reiterates, thin lips pressing together with impatience. "Answer me honestly," her voice is about to break.

"Is- Is what true?" Wonwoo whispers back, not wanting this situation to be real. He hadn't wanted for it to be like this. He was supposed to have found a good day, where they were both in a good mood, and he'd say the right words, and her reaction would be good, right, accepting, and all would be right in the world.

her dry lips, she pulls her hairband out from her ponytail and adjusts it on her wrist, eyes dropping from Wonwoo's, "is it true what the other parents said? That you have a boyfriend at school?"

Wonwoo's right foot takes a slight step back, and his face turns warm when he realises all he wants is to just run away. "I- That's- That's absurd, where did you hear that?" And he hates himself, because what is he doing? He's lying, and that's not how it's supposed to happen. Still, somehow he'd rather stomach the twisting and c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter