(1/1)

A shoujo type of love

Kyungsoo stares at the phone sitting on his desk, willing the screen to light up and buzz for the nth time. He wonders why as he tries to shift his attention back to his computer. An Excel workbook laid open, cursor blinking and prompting, but for some strange reason he is unable to input numbers like he usually does. He taps hesitantly on the keyboard, eyes seeing but not reading the sheets of figures on the table. Kyungsoo sighs, and pinches inbetween his eyebrows. All because of...

"Kim Jongin!" A loud voice filters through Kyungsoo's doors, and Kyungsoo found himself jolting.

He sat up, cranes his neck to look through the blinds separating his office from the cubicles. He catches a mess of brown hair and a flash of varsity jacket, loud chatter broke out in the department, all congratulatary. His team must have won, then. Kyungsoo fought away the proud smile that broke across his face, and made himself sit back down. Jongin would have texted or called if he wanted Kyungsoo to know. He sat in his chair and waited, fingers drumming nervously against the desk. Five, ten minutes passed, and eventually the noise ceased, and there came a soft knock on Kyungsoo's door.

"Hey, boss. It's me." Jongin's voice drifted in, and Kyungsoo detected a note of uncertainty. It made Kyungsoo strangely happy.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat, fingers poised over the report in front of him. The words swam in his vision, hardly making any sense, but he couldn't let Jongin know how much his absence has affected him, right? He cleared his throat again. "Come in."

Kyungsoo hears the creak of the door, and the scuffle of Jongin's shoes against the floor. A battered pair of chuck taylors enters his sight, and Kyungsoo sighs. "Didn't I tell you, no sneakers in the-"

Kyungsoo was suddenly attacked by a flailing twenty-two year old, who stuffed his face into the crook of Kyungsoo's neck. The position was awkward, Jongin was leaning over the desk, and there was a gap inbetween them big enough to fit all of Jongin's damned dogs, but all Kyungsoo could think about was how nice Jongin smelled.

"We won, we won, we won." Jongin breathed, giddy laughter. "We're going to the nationals."

"Congratulations." Kyungsoo said quietly, hand going over to ruffle Jongin's hair. He doesn't mention that he knew Jongin's team would definitely make it to the nationals. With Jongin's dancing skills, it'd be a surprise if they lost.

"I missed you so much."

Kyungsoo stilled, and Jongin leaned back, unaware that Kyungsoo's world had been upended on an axis before being set right by his words again. Jongin stood up and paced around the office, body practically thrumming with unspent energy.

"It was crazy, you know? I was so nervous, everyone were, and they had the freaking dance team from the other school. Remember Taemin? Everyone thought his team was gonna make it, but he didn't. And, oh my god, I just-"  Jongin stuffs his fingers into his hair and laughed.

"You did good." Kyungsoo returned his line of sight to his report, urging his goddamn heart to stop beating so fast. He was a thirty three year old man, not some besotted school girl.

Jongin turned, a small frown marring his forehead. "What's wrong? You don't sound very happy."

"Nothing's wrong."

Jongin made a sound of protest, and plopped himself in the seat opposite Kyungsoo. "Doesn't seem that way."

"Really, I'm glad for you." Kyungsoo wanted to reach over and squeeze Jongin's hands, but stopped himself in time. "I'm just busy, that's all."

Jongin bit his lips, a thoughtful look crossing his face. "Why don't you come over to my place tonight? I'll cook, we can celebrate, and I can help you with whatever it is that you're doing?"

"Uh-" Kyungsoo stuttered, thanks to the sudden image of Jongin in boxers and loose tees that hangs off his shoulders.

"Nope, don't wanna hear anything else other than okay. I'll see you at my place, 7pm."

Before Kyungsoo could protest, Jongin walks out, a spring in his step as he settled into his shoebox cubicle. Kyungsoo should probably go up to Jongin and tell him that he won't be able to do dinner, make up some excuses about extra work (technically, he does have a lot of work to complete), but he found himself sitting in front of his computer, grinning like an idiot while he worked away on the Excel workbook. Strangely, the anxiety in his heart has gone, and it was almost 6.30pm when he logged off. The entire department was deserted, save for one of the IT techs, and he waved at him while he passed. He got onto the ground floor and out, deciding to take a cab instead of walking.

-------------------------

The house smelled like smoke and ashes, Kyungsoo noted as a shame faced Jongin let him in (unfortunately, Jongin was still in his hoodie and jeans). Kyungsoo opened his mouth, but was interrupted by Jongin's sharp Don't ask. Jongin steered him towards the makeshift coffee/dining table, before heading into the kitchen. He brought out two mismatched plates and cutleries, setting it in front of Kyungsoo.

"I tried to make lasagna, but it got burned. So I ended up heating up some leftover sauce I had, along with some macaroni." Jongin confessed bashfully.

Amused, Kyungsoo leaned forward to poke at the pasta, about to take a bite when a flustered Jongin stopped him. "Eh, wait, you probably shouldn't eat that. The sauce has been around since last week and you'd probably get food poisoning, we should order takeouts-"

Kyungsoo shushed him, and took a bite. "It isn't that bad, actually. Besides, you left it in the fridge, right? Should be fine."

Jongin bit his lips, and stared at Kyungsoo while he ate. Kyungsoo detected fear and marvel on Jongin's face.

"What, aren't you going to eat? Are you leaving me alone to get food poisoning?" Kyungsoo teased in between mouthfuls of pasta.

Jongin laughed, and picked up his dinner, wrinkling his nose when he took the first bite. "Ew, how do you eat this ."

"Lots of practice with my mom. She can't cook for nuts." Kyungsoo replied truthfully. Jongin hits his arm.

They might have somewhat finished the food inbetween teasings and laughters, and Kyungsoo was surprised why he even felt that weirdness from before.

"What are you thinking?"

Kyungsoo shrugged, and Jongin continued, "You have that look on your face when you're thinking. Kinda like you're trying to take a or something."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "Just thinking about how much easier my life was without you around."

"Really?" Jongin feigned a wounded sound. "But I missed you so much."

"Yeah? Miss me to the point that you forgot to text? I didn't even know you were coming back today." Kyungsoo found himself saying. He inwardly cursed, he was doing that weird possessive boss/friend?/boyfriend? thing that nobody likes. Jongin quieted, before leaning forward, pulling something out from his jeans. He dangled a cracked mess in front of Kyungsoo's face.

"I dropped my phone on the first day, and most of my friends weren't able to get signal on their phones too. I thought that three days won't be that long. I'm sorry." Jongin explained, "And I wanted to surprise you, don't you want to see me?"

Kyungsoo felt his ears redden. Clearing his throat, Kyungsoo made a move to stand up to go over to the kitchen, but was stopped by a tug on his hand. Jongin looked up at him, all warm eyes and happy smile. "I'm glad that you missed me."

Kyungsoo felt a strange thudding in his heart, something that could be described best as a tsunami meeting a volcano eruption, and in a herculean effort, he manages to lean down and press a kiss to Jongin's forehead. Kyungsoo broke away and coughed then, picking up the dirty dishes and making a run for the kitchen.

Jongin was going to be the death of him, some day or another.

a/n: wow. what is this . plot and tenses are crap, but hey, i tried??? also. guess who tops? :-))))
a/n2: cross post from lj. 
twitter