Chapter 1

Well, Color Me Surprised

 

 

 

 

Kim Jongin always gets what he wants, and his secret is that he simply goes for it, no questions asked, none of that bout of over-thinking that decomposes half a person’s willpower before a decision is finally made.

 

Of course the prerequisite to getting what he wants is knowing exactly what it is, and Jongin usually does. More often than not, he’s sure of it.

 

He’s sure of himself.

 

Out of the goodness of his heart, he thinks, also because he’s tired of Lu Han’s googly-eyed mooning, he decides to help Lu Han get what the latter wants for a change.

 

What—or who—Luhan wants is Sehun. That much is clear to those who aren’t Sehun.

 

You’d think it should be pretty obvious to the maknae since he and Lu Han are practically glued to the hip, always touching, each the half of a huge heart outlined with the length of Sehun’s right arm and Lu Han’s left arm for all the fans to see. The tips of their hands effortlessly converge when Lu Han has an aversion to touching anybody else, even when it’s indirect touching like somebody landing themselves on Lu Han’s bed and he has to sleep in it afterwards. Read: germs.

 

Jongin thinks even if Lu Han’s not-a-secret admiration for Sehun were to dress itself in flashing neon lights and do the gwiyomi dance in front of him, Sehun still wouldn’t get the message. He is that oblivious, as opposed to the blessed perceptiveness of fans, who are reverent in HunHan, which Sehun thinks is so cute (and which Baekhyun and Chanyeol ship) but couldn't grasp beyond its cuteness.

 

So for the benefit of anyone who has had to endure a hole being drilled into their stomach at the sight of Lu Han's inconspicuous (Lu Han thinks) unrequited love, Jongin is staging an intervention. The kind that'll go with a bang. Then he'll be the hero, and people will sing praises in his name long after he’s been gone.

 

Is Jongin just helpful or what?

 

"It's simple," he starts like the answer has been floating above their heads for years. "Just go up to him and say that you like him."

 

"What?" Lu Han looks up, wide-eyed, from his bowl of ramyun, the one that has its egg contents being absentmindedly picked apart by its owner with his pair of chopsticks. He hasn't even noticed that only two people have remained by the kitchen table.

 

"I said go up to Sehun and confess your undying love for him."

 

EXO-M's lead dancer starts flailing his arms helplessly, making shushing gestures while looking around to check if anybody else has heard the intruding statement.

 

How cute, Jongin thinks. Or funny, really. Lu Han’s always claiming he’s a manly man; but right now he’s looking like a kid caught having broken an antique piece of furniture.

 

"I'm not in love with..." the denial fades away as he glimpses Jongin smirk.

 

"My room. Tonight. I’ll have Kyungsoo-hyung make us kimchi spaghetti as we discuss the specifics of our game plan for—y'know."

 

Jongin stands up from the table, grinning at his bandmate's confused silence. He puts his right hand on his chest and taps it twice, nodding dramatically, "Don't worry, hyung. I'm here for you."

 

Flourishing said right hand in a half-baked salute, he saunters out the kitchen, leaving a thoroughly bewildered Lu Han in his wake.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“What’s in it for you, anyway?”

 

Kyungsoo is folding freshly laundered clothes. He eyes Jongin lounging on the opposite side of the room, arms cradling his head nestled atop a pillow, legs stretched across the length of his bed.

 

"Nothing," the dancing machine replies nonchalantly. "Just wanna be helping, is all."

 

Kyungsoo shoots him an incredulous look. "Since when have you volunteered to help other people? Especially when feelings are involved, you bolt out the door faster than Monggu chasing after his toy."

 

Hyung,” Jongin pouts. “You make me sound all cold and uncaring.”

 

“I’m just saying. One of the reasons why I get along with you well is because you don't dip in other people's business. You don't pry when not asked to get involved; you keep to yourself and let us do the same. What would possess you to—what exactly do you—"

 

A dithering expression displays on the round face, hinting the hesitation to blurt out something. The younger male urges him to say it. “What?"

 

Kyungsoo sets aside a T-shirt (one of Jongin’s) that he's finished folding on his lap. He bites on his lower lip, only slowly disentangling it from his teeth. The idea is still abstract in his mind, and so he decides to untie the knot carefully. “We’re talking of people’s emotions here, Jongin. You can’t just expect people, in this case Sehun, to react the way you want them to on a whim.”

 

“But hyung.” Jongin props himself up on his elbows to properly look at his roommate. “There’s already something going on, if the way they interact is anything to go by. Don’t tell me you don’t see it? With HunHan and all?”

 

“I—well, what about you?” Kyungsoo unravels another thread from the knot. “What if you get caught in between, creating a whole mess and then it blows up all over?”

 

A pause materializes as Jongin dubiously regards his roommate. “Junmyeon-hyung’s right. You’re a worry wart.”

 

Previously folded T-shirt darts through the air and lands on Jongin’s face, making his head fall back onto his pillow. “I am not.” It only earns Kyungsoo a boisterous laugh, which makes him huff.

 

 “Yes you are! You’re overreacting, hyung.” The younger male is still laughing. “But you don’t have to. I’m just gonna give Lu Han a little nudge, so he can give Sehun a little pull, and then they’ll magnetize together, and live happily ever after!”

 

It’s Kyungsoo’s turn to dip in disbelief. “Why can’t you just spend your time on something actually productive?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Oh, I don’t know. Tidying your own clothes perhaps?”

 

“So you can take them out of my closet and fold them again?” Jongin smirks and relaxes back onto the mattress, but not before tossing Kyungsoo back his shirt that has gotten scrambled.

 

Aigoo,” the older male exclaims. But inside he’s thinking he should’ve done better at unraveling the knot.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The early hints of the sun setting found Lu Han pacing in front of EXO-K’s dorm entrance. He doesn’t know why he’s here exactly. Jongin didn’t give away much except for some game plan and kimchi spaghetti (that’s always a good thing, though, right?) and helping Lu Han… but with what?

 

Much of what’s brought him by the door, however, was the mention of Sehun’s name and, damn how Jongin said it, Lu Han’s undying (gasp!) love for him.

 

Does Jongin know something? Lu Han continues pacing. How did he find out? Lu Han slightly tilts his head to the side, lifting each of his legs and planting them on the ground randomly. Is Lu Han that obvious?? Lu Han raises his right foot. Oh my god! If he is, then Sehun must know now too!

 

Lu Han stills, eyes widening, due to the trail his thoughts have suddenly taken. OH MY GOD. SEHUN!!

 

As if cued by the echo of SEHUN!! in Lu Han’s head, the maknae unexpectedly opens the door to the sight of the older male’s right knee half-suspended in the air, body bent slightly forward, hands awkwardly raised.

 

“Oh hi, hyung. What are you doing?”

 

It takes an eternity before Lu Han is able to collect himself and straighten out his limbs because oh my god this is absolutely embarrassing.

 

"Uhmm hi, I was just—"

 

Before Lu Han can conjure up an acceptable excuse, however, the door opens wider with a bang, revealing a very ecstatic-looking Jongin. "Hyung, you're here!"

 

He saunters out to casually sling an arm around Lu Han's shoulder and pull him closer, a gesture that he makes sure Sehun doesn't miss. He doesn’t, judging by how he struggles to keep his stoic facade.

 

"Are you ready to go?"

 

Lu Han's eyebrows meet in the middle, but it's Sehun who speaks. "Go where?"

 

"We're just gonna hang out," Jongin feigns nonchalance like a pro, still while gauging Sehun's reaction.

 

Lu Han turns to Jongin then. "But I thought Kyungsoo—"

 

"Nope, change of plans," Jongin cuts in for the second time. "We'll go ahead." He throws Sehun one last look and drags Lu Han away before either bandmate can protest.

 

 

 

 


A/N: What's the knot exactly? =))) Also, is Kyungsoo such a mum or what?

Update: Yeah, I just threw in the last part because when I was posting the chapter, I didn't realize I left something behind. I'm sorryyyy.