Special chapter

WINGS

(This special chapter happened after Kai and Lu Han settled in the lake house as a couple. Kai is 23 years old and currently working at a coffee shop in town while Lu Han is 31 and still pursuing photography as a passion. They have been together for almost four years now, with Kai’s family and friends supporting their relationship.)


The One

"Cause our two hearts will make it easy

Joining up the pieces,

Together making one~"

 

The wind was blowing calmly that night. Lu Han opened the window from his room and leaned over the bar to look around the lake. The image of the full moon was casted on the water surface like a mirror. Its brightness reflects across the lake, shedding little light through the bushes and trees. Aside from the sound of the crickets and the rustling of the leaves, there was nothing but calmness in the surrounding

The night was peaceful and so was the lake house.

Kai appeared behind the door and approached Lu Han who was busy admiring the lake. He just finished lighting the oil lamp in the room and was preparing to go to sleep with Lu Han. The younger man pulled Lu Han into a hug while kissing the latter’s shoulder, “What are you looking at?”

Lu Han caressed his arm and points at the moon, “Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Kai gazed at the sky momentarily and nodded. For some reason, the moon that night was extremely captivating. Kai has never paid much attention to it ever since he was young because there’s always someone who captures his eyes. Lu Han has always been the most beautiful person in his eyes.

The moment Lu Han’s face was illuminated vibrantly under the moonlight, Kai came into realization. There was no way he’ll ever make it through a day without the man in his arms. He was so in love that sometimes, he thinks the only reason he exists is because of Lu Han. Lost in the overwhelming feeling of love, Kai leaned closer to feel the softness of Lu Han’s cheek with his lips. His eyes weighed heavy and slowly shut on their own. “You’re so beautiful it hurts,” he whispers with his lips pressed gently on the velvety skin. Kai genuinely felt his chest constrict whenever he sets his eyes upon Lu Han. It’s crazy because each day, he finds himself falling harder for the latter. For thirteen years, he was constantly falling in love and there was never an end to it. He knows Lu Han loves him, too, but Kai was convinced that the other will never understand how much he means to him.

Lu Han shut his eyes as soon as he felt Kai’s lips on his face. He leaned closer so he could feel the love oozing from the younger man’s subtle movements.

“I love you,” Kai muttered breathlessly, holding Lu Han like he was the only one that matters. Lu Han’s eyes fluttered open and he smiled contently, “I love you, too. You know that very well.” Kai hummed in response. He rested his head on Lu Han’s and they stayed like that for a while, contently gazing at the night sky.

By the time Kai blew the oil lamp and darkness surrounded them, Lu Han settled under the sheets and waited for his lover to come so he can snuggle under his touch.

It always felt home to be in each other’s arms.

-

Kai went home from work earlier than usual. He found Lu Han preparing their meal that night and helped him out by taking out the plates. “How’s your day?” Lu Han asks conversationally. “I thought you’ll be home later.”

“Work was fine. We served more customers than usual but I got a hold of it. Thanks to Baekhyun and his speedy hands. Orders were taken care pretty well.”

“That’s good to hear.”

Lu Han placed the bowl of ramen on the table and sat on the other side of the table, facing Kai. While enjoying their dinner, Kai took out what it seemed to be a plane ticket and handed it to Lu Han.

“A trip to Japan?” Lu Han was surprised.

“Yeah. Just the two of us. I saved that for our fourth year anniversary. Don’t worry about your work. I asked Yixing (Lu Han’s boss) to spare you for a week and he said yes. We’re going next week. Sound’s good?”

Lu Han nodded excitedly, “You surprised me. Thank you for this. I feel bad for not preparing a better surprise for you.”

Kai raised an eyebrow questioningly, “You were planning a surprise for me?”

“Yes. But because we have to fly to Japan next week, I need to settle it earlier. Now that I am talking about it, it’s not really a surprise, isn’t it?” Lu Han chuckled at himself.

Kai laughed along with him, “It depends on how good a surprise it is. If it involves a bed and us without anything on then I am up for it.”

“Oh gosh,” Lu Han awkwardly brushed away his hair, shaking his head in amusement. “Now I have to rethink about the surprise for it might disappoint you.”

“I’m just kidding,” Kai was quick to assure him. “Anything from you will always be special, you know that. I appreciate everything you do for me, Han.”

Lu Han nodded, “That is a relief.”

“I’m looking forward to it, love; your surprise and our trip to Japan. We’ll make good memories together, I promise you,” said Kai with a meaningful smile on his face.

Two days before the Japan trip, Lu Han led Kai to their shared room for his surprise. The younger one was blindfolded before they reached the room.

“Are we here yet?”

“Don’t worry. You’re going to see it soon.”

Lu Han took away the blindfolds and Kai instantly blinked a few times to clear his vision. In front of his was a room full of photographs; his own photos, hanging from the walls to the ceiling to every corners of their bedroom. They were all in black and white.

Kai looked closer and realized that the pictures are mostly taken when he wasn’t looking at Lu Han or if he was doing something in the house; house chores, simple reading of novels, brushing his hair before he goes to work and a lot of candid moments.

“Look how precious you are,” said Lu Han while browsing through the photos. He was walking around, running his hand along the memorable moments of the man he loves deeply. “You are special. Really really special." Lu Han turns to Kai and smiles genuinely.  "Thank you for giving me your heart. Thank you for waiting until I realized how much you mean to me. I love you so much, Kai. Always remember that.”

The young man sighed in glee and satisfaction. Hearing Lu Han’s sweet words squeezed his heart in a good way. That night, they loved each other without caring for anything else but each other. The world may fall apart but Kai would never let go of that warm hand holding his. Flowers may wither but not Lu Han’s glow inside and out. Everything may break but not their love for each other.

Kai knew to whom he will offer his entire being. He could imagine the rest of his life with the person he loves the most.

In Japan, under the enchanting beauty of the cherry blossoms, he will tell his lover that he is the one.

 

Because for Kai, Lu Han has always been the one.

 

-

Author's note: A special chapter because I really like the characters of KaiLu in this fic. ^.^ 

Word count: 1200+

Inspiration: The One by Kodaline (done in one sitting thanks to the song kekeke)

Mood: so fluffy I'm gonna dive in a bucket filled with ice damn it! arggggh! <3

#Thank you, Georgie, for the song recommendation chu~#