Wings

WINGS

 

 

 

Kim Kai glares at his friends because he thinks that they don’t make sense. According to them, there is a wizard, a filthy wizard, who lives in the lake house where Kai is eager to go. Their parents tell them to stay in the neighborhood when they go trick-or-treating and avoid the house situated in the lake, near the woods. Baekhyun, a year younger than Kai, describes animatedly the wizard’s face as if he knew, “My mother says the wizard looks very very ugly! Baekhyun don’t want to see him!” Kai rolls his eyes. “Baekhyun is right. We should not go there because the wizard punishes children like us. He knows that we are naughty when we are in school. He knows that we don’t clean our hands before eating our snacks. The wizard is dangerous!!!!” adds a tall boy named Chanyeol. He is the same age as Kai but he acts more like a baby. Kai crosses his arms on his chest and huffs, “I told you. There is no wizard! The one who lives in the lake house is Hanhan-hyung. He is very kind and definitely NOT UGLY!”

“But we don’t see him!” Another kid known to everyone as Chen Chen yells. “He doesn’t go out. He doesn’t buy at my Baba’s store. He doesn’t go to the town’s festival. His house is near the woods where it is dark and creepy! And he doesn’t greet the neighborhood during Christmas. No one knows how he looks or what he does!”

“I know how he looks! He is not ugly!”Kai asserts; he widens his eyes and points at Chen. “I will prove to you that Hanhan-hyung is not an ugly wizard that’s why you should come with me!”

Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen herd behind Kai as he knocks on Lu Han’s door. Their fear worsens when they heard footsteps coming. Kai, on the other hand, cannot hide his excitement. He clasps his hands tightly on the basket where a lot of candies pile and smiles widely.

“TRICK OR TREAT!!!!!!!!!!”

Kai is the only one who speaks enthusiastically. His eyes brighten when he sees Lu Han in his usual get-up; a grey turtle neck and a black cardigan. The older boy smiles; the same smile Kai remembers when he first visited the lake house bravely a year ago, “Hello there, Kai. Good to see you.” He notices the boys behind Kai who stares at him with wondering, almost terrified, eyes. “Hi,” Lu Han greets them.

Chen is the first one to take a step forward, realizing that the ugly wizard their parents tell them is actually a doe-eyed teenage boy who looks delicate like a flower. “You are not a wizard?” Kai quickly covers Chen’s mouth and shoves him behind. He is relieved when he realized Hanhan-hyung didn’t hear Chen’s words.

“They are my friends, Hanhan-hyung,” Kai explains. He looks back and gives the three boys a warning look before turning to Lu Han with a beam.

“H-hi,” says Baekhyun softly. “M-my name is…is…Baekhyun.” He immediately lowers his head after he introduced himself.

“Hi, Baekhy—“

Before Lu Han can finish his greeting, Chanyeol jumps in front of him, “I’M CHANYEOL!!!!!” He shows his basket, telling Lu Han to give him candies.

Kai whacks his head at once.

“My name is Chen. What is your name?”

Lu Han turns to the boy with thick glasses and nods, “Hello, Chen. My name is Lu Han.”

“You look pretty,” says Chen while grinning. When Kai heard him, he quickly checks Lu Han’s reaction. The latter laughs and ruffles Chen’s hair, “You’re so silly. Here, take these candies and save those sweet words to your future girlfriend.” Shock and clearly jealous because of Hanhan-hyung’s attention to his friend, Kai frowns and turns around, “Hmp! Stupid, Chen. I shouldn’t have brought him here.”

When I was eight, I proved to them that you are pretty.

But in return, you met Chen and he’s the one who made you laugh.

I was so jealous.

Kai is nine years old when he goes trick-or-treating with a bundle of flowers in his hand instead of a basket. Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen are curious why he didn’t bring what they think is very important when they go collecting candies. Instead of answering, Kai skips happily towards Lu Han’s front door.

“Trick or Treat!” The three boys chorus except for Kai. He smiles brightly when the door swings open. “Hello, Hanhan-hyung! This is for you! Please take this!” Kai hands the flowers and anticipates Lu Han’s reaction.

“What are you doing?” Chanyeol nudges him. “Why are you giving Hanhan-hyung a flower? He is a boy!”

“He should give us chocolates and candies,” Baekhyun adds but Kai ignores them. When the older boy remains silent, Kai turns extremely nervous. Maybe Hanhan-hyung doesn’t like it. Or maybe he thinks Kai is strange for giving him flowers. Or maybe he doesn’t want flowers. Or maybe, maybe—

“Thank you, Kai-ah,” Lu Han says in a whisper, cutting the younger boy’s thoughts. He holds the flowers close to his chest and ruffles Kai’s hair. “I like these flowers. Here are some chocolates in return.”

Kai’s solemn face gradually lights up in happiness. Hanhan-hyung gives him lots of chocolates and he feels victorious. He turns to Chen and sticks his tongue out. The other boy just tilts his head, wondering why Kai is being mean.

When I was nine, I gave you flowers and made you smile.

You ruffled my hair and I realized how I love to feel your warmth.

You made me happy when I saw you happy.

Trick-or-treating chills Kai and his friends to the bones the year he turned ten  not because of ghosts and scary creatures. The night is extremely cold and they are forced to be dressed in sweaters and leg warmers. Instead of wearing their favorite superhero costumes, they settle with the knitted clothing to keep them warm, even though Chanyeol cries because he thinks they look like burritos.

“Let’s hurry! I’m frrrrrreezing,” says Chen while hugging himself. Other kids decide to go home as soon as they have collected enough candies for themselves. But unlike those children, Kai’s trick-or-treating wouldn’t be complete if he misses to visit the lake house and see his Hanhan-hyung. Even though they are cold, Kai’s friends go with him. Truthfully, they got used to visiting Lu Han every year after Kai introduced him to them. In the end, it becomes their ritual.

“Hello, Hanhan-hyung!!!!” says Kai instead of the usual Halloween greeting. Lu Han smiles a little and immediately gives him a handful of gummy bears and choco nuts. Kai notices Lu Han’s lack of interest. He usually greets them back with a big smile that makes him look younger than his age.

“What’s wrong, Hanhan-hyung? You don’t look happy to see us.”

Lu Han shakes his head defensively, “No, that’s not it, Kai-ah. Hanhan-hyung is just a little sick. That’s all. I am glad to see you, boys.” He scans the street outside and sits on his heels, “You should go home now. It’s really cold outside and you might catch a flu. I don’t want you to get sick.”

Kai pouts sadly, “But you are sick, Hanhan-hyung. I want to help you to feel better. I can ask mom to give you medicine or cook you hot pot. I can stay in your house and take care of you.”

Lu Han cups Kai’s misty cheeks, “That’s very nice of you, Kai-ah. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. What you need to do now is lead your friends home, okay? I’ll see you next time.”

The younger boy sighs, “Can I see you tomorrow?” He asks even though he knows how aloof the older boy is. He doesn’t go out in the morning. Every time Kai passes by his house in the morning, the doors and windows are shut. Yet, he tries and silently hopes Lu Han will accept his offer.

Seeing the boy’s eagerness to help, Lu Han finally agrees, “Alright. You can come here tomorrow if that will make you happy. Now, go home and enjoy the candies.”

Kai cannot help but hug the older boy and whispers a sincere ‘thank you’.

When I was ten, I was worried because you’re sick.

I wanted to take care of you.

I wanted to make sure you feel better and smile again.

 

Kai visits Lu Han the next day. He brings a basket of hot meal and medicines as he promised. Lu Han says his thanks and opens the door to his house to someone for the first time. Kai expected the older boy's home to be decorated with different colors. He imagined the living room to be filled with huge stuff toys and figurines. Because Lu Han looks gentle, he always thought that he is into flowers and bunnies and rainbows. Unexpectedly, the house has less furniture. The walls are bare except for a portion near what it seems to be a bedroom that is filled with hanging photos. While Lu Han takes out the food in the kitchen, Kai examines the photos.

He recognizes a couple of familiar places.

The Statue of Liberty as taught by his father from a magazine. A landscape of cherry blossoms and Kai instantly thinks of Japan.  The Great Wall of China as what he saw on TV. The Eiffel tower that his mother wishes to visit. 

In his young mind, he is convinced that Lu Han might have visited those places. He decides to ask when Lu Han returns to the living room. Lu Han smiles at him and starts to narrate his experiences in travelling. He is proud to say that he was able to wander around Europe, US and some countries in Asia. Kai listens intently as the older one shares his stories with eagerness. Kai knows that Lu Han is living alone since his parents died when he was young. Lu Han grew up with his grandma in China. He travelled to South Korea years ago to learn the culture. He found the rural town where Kai lives and was captivated by the beautiful lake house so he decided to stay a little longer than normal. Later did he realize that he has been living there for over three years. Lu Han also explains to Kai why he doesn't go out. The reason is simple. He has a photo project he works on and it takes most of his time. Instead of wandering around, he finds himself working and working and working. That shouldn't be the case but since he will earn loads of money from the project which he can use to more travelling, he puts his best efforts on it. Deep inside, Kai is happy to see Lu Han smile again. Yet, there is a feeling he cannot identify. Some of the words coming out from Lu Han's mouth are like vague pictures he cannot comprehend. Still, he continues to listen. After all, watching the older boy talk fascinates him. He will never get tired of listening to Lu Han and his sweet voice. Just when he is getting more comfortable, Lu Han tells him something that scares him more than a ghost story during Halloween. Cold sweat instantly form on his forehead.

"Next month I will continue my journey. I'll travel to Maldives and take pictures of the beautiful beaches there. I'm looking forward to it!"

"You..will...go?"

Lu Han misses to grasp the sadness in the younger boy's voice, "Yeah. I will surely miss this place. Maybe someday, I can go back."

Kai doesn't say a thing and Lu Han finally takes note of the miserable eyes b with tears. Kai bites his lips and holds firmly to the arm chair. Lu Han starts to panic, not knowing why the boy is suddenly crying.

"Kai-ah, what's wrong?! Why are you suddenly crying?" asks Lu Han. He is wiping the younger boy's tears with his thumb. Kai feels his body shrinking under Lu Han's touch. At the young age of ten, he is discovering an emotion that can make him smile at one point and then tear him to pieces the next. He doesn't fully understand why he is frightened of the thought of not seeing the older boy. He shakes his head vigorously to stop himself from crying but he can't. "You are leaving. I-I feel so..so sad."

Lu Han is taken aback. He never expected Kai to feel that way. The young boy obviously sees him as someone special, a loved friend, or maybe a brother he didn't have, for letting his tears flow with the idea of not seeing him again. 

"Kai-ah, don't cry anymore. I am sorry if I make you sad. I don't mean it. Hyung loves to go to other places so that's why I have to leave. You may not understand it now but sooner or later, you will know my reasons. Don't worry, Kai-ah. I will not forget about you. Maybe I can send you letters, do you want that?" says Lu Han in an attempt to pacify the younger boy.

"No!" Kai wipes off his tears with the back of his hand. "I don't need letters! I want to see you and talk to you and...and visit you during Halloween. I like your candies and I will miss it so much!"

Lu Han sighs sadly.

"And I love Hanhan-hyung's smile. I love it more than chocolates and candies-that's honest! I want to see it everyday but now, you said you're leaving. How..*sniffles how can I see your smile again? How?!" Without warning, Kai pulls Lu Han shirt and sobs on his chest. "I like Hanhan-hyung best," he murmurs.

"Kai, hyung likes you, too. But older boys like me need to do what they have to do. It's sad to go and leave people behind all the time but...that's how I live. I want to make you understand but you're too young to even think about my situation." Lu Han pats the boy's head and assures him, "We never know but maybe someday, we'll see each other again."

Kai looks up to him, feeling a little hopeful, "Is that possible?"

Lu Han nods in response, "Yeah. If fate permits, we'll see each other again." It doesn't make sense. Who is fate? Is he a a person who will help Kai to see his Hanhan-hyung again? Where can he meet fate so he can tell him (or her) that he wants Hanhan-hyung to stay? Maybe fate can do something! He is eager to ask Lu Han but feels like he is becoming annoying. He is afraid that Lu Han will push him away. He keeps quiet for a moment while Lu Han lets him sit back on the couch. "Hanhan-hyung, how many days before you go?"

"Hmm..that's..." Lu Han guesses. "24 days I believe."

Kai makes up his mind, "Then we shall be together for 24 days." He lifts a finger before Lu Han could protest. "You can't say no. That's final!"

Lu Han has the heart to give Kai what he wants. He takes the younger boy to a boat ride around the peaceful lake. It's beauty is undeniable-waters gentle weaving back and forth, the trees in full colors cast reflection to the water along with the vastness of the blue sky. The young boy peers in the depths and runs his little fingers on the surface of cold water while Lu Han leads them farther from the dry land. Once in a while, he will take out his camera and take shots of Kai sporting an assortment of expressions-from thrilled, to curious, to content.  Another day, Lu Han finds himself meeting the town folks for the first time. Kai forced him to go out and mingle with the people including the other children he knows since childhood. The rumor about him being an ugly wizard goes down the drain when he walks with a sweet smile along the neighborhood. The older people laugh at their silliness for creating such stories. They also apologize to Lu Han and offer him dinner in return which the boy gladly accepts. Two weeks before Lu Han's departure, Kai invites him to visit their house.

"Kai-ah, are you sure this is okay to your parents?"

"Of course! They expect you to come, Hanhan-hyung! Come on!"

That day, Lu Han meets Kai's humble parents. Kim Junsik, the father, is a family driver while Kim Shinye, Kai's mother, is a cashier at the town's largest grocery store owned by Chanyeol's family. They share lunch with a variety of traditional Korean food. After the tasty meal, Kai brings Lu Han to their backyard where his father built a wooden gazebo. The sun washes all over the garden with a golden glow. Bluebells adorn every corners of the vicinity and Lu Han can't help but admire the exquisiteness of the abode. While he is busy looking around and admiring the flower pots, Kai pokes his back to have his attention. 

"What is it, Kai?" asks Lu Han when he turns around and finds the younger boy with a cheeky smile. "Please sit down on the grass, Hanhan-hyung. I have to give you something."

"O..kay?" Kai is up to something again, Lu Han thinks. Nevertheless, he follows the younger boy and waits. "Here. You have to wear this." Kai giggles and puts a flower crown made of hand-picked carnation of different colors on Lu Han. The older lifts a finger and touches the crown on his head. "What is this for?"

While fondling his fingers, Kai  explains with a blushing face, "A gift from me to you."

Lu Han observes the younger boy for a second before he chuckles, "Why thank you! You really know how to surprise me. Such a sweet child."

Kai is feeling giddy until Lu Han mentions the word "child". The ten-year old is convinced that he is not a child anymore. He is ten and turning into a big boy. He always imagines himself as a strong-boy who can protect his Hanhan-hyung from bad people. He sees himself as someone who can make his Hanhan-hyung happy by giving the other boy candies and flowers (because he likes Hanhan-hyung a lot). That is why he is very disappointed when Lu Han calls him a child. He pouts, "I am not a child."

"What did you say?"

"I said I am not a child!" Kai stands firmly, arms on his waist while trying his best to show a serious, manly face. "I am a big boy now and I like Hanhan-hyung."

Lu Han pats his head and laughs but Kai hasn't ceased in proving himself. "I am serious. I like you, Hanhan-hyung. You are nice and pretty and kind and smart and smells good. I will be a brave boy and save you from bad people and monsters. No one will make you cry. You will be happy with me. You will stay in my house and we will kiss each other every day because someday, I will marry you!" The confession sounds funny and childish but Lu Han knows not to laugh. Kai is looking at him straight in the eyes; there is sincerity in the way he stares and he slowly feels sorry for the younger boy. A pause stretches between them, just in time when Kai's parents pop behind the back door. By the way they look, Lu Han knows they heard everything. 

"Aiiii Kai, what are you saying to Lu Han?" Shinye approaches him and points out a question but she doesn't expect her son to answer back. Kai moves away from her and stands next to Lu Han. "I am just being honest to Hanhan-yung, eomeoni. I told him I like him and I will marry him someday."

Kim Junsik secretly laughs at his son's silliness but Kai catches his mocking expression and glares at the old man. "Oops!" His father covers his mouth and looks away. Lu Han thinks that Kai is the one who is acting more like a father between the two. 

"Oh boy! What to do with you?" Shinye reaches out to hold her son but the latter hides behind Lu Han's back and instantly steals a kiss from the older boy. Shinye and Junsik gasp. Lu Han is caught off-guard while Kai is unstoppable, tiptoeing until he is able to lean closer to the side of Lu Han's lips.

Another kiss.

"Oh my god your son, Junsik! Stop him before he devours Lu Han!" yells Shinye before pushing her husband to move. The man nods obediently, "Aye aye, sweetheart." He turns to his son and grins, "You sweet-talker, listen to appa before I pinch your dingdong."

Lu Han stays seated on the grass while the family runs in circle, chasing Kai while he dashes away from his parents who are now ready to give him a whack in the head for kissing someone.

Moments later, Shinye has got enough when Kai manages to escape from them. She sobs dramatically on her husband's chest. "For god's sake he's 10!!!!!!!"

 

 

It's Sunday and Kai wakes up early. He plans to visit his Hanhan-hyung again so they can spend the day together. Imagining the older one's welcoming smile frees butterflies on his belly. He jumps out of bed and puts on his clothes-his favorite t-shirt that Lu Han complimented because of a cute Ironman design. Before he dashes out of his room, he glances at the calendar and takes note of the date. Two days left before Lu Han leaves. Kai feels sad but then he has to run quick because his Hanhan-hyung is waiting for him. No time to be sad, he tells himself. While walking to the lake house, Kai meets Baekhyun and Chanyeol riding their bicycles. He greets them in a hurry and continues his journey.

"Hey, Kai! Wait! Where are you going?" asks Chanyeol.

Kai beams at him, "I will meet Hanhan-hyung today."

Baekhyun and Chanyeol look at each other before spilling the heartbreaking news to Kai. 

"But we just saw Hanhan-hyung leaving with another man. They ride a cab and Baekhyun heard they are going to the airport. We thought you knew."

Kai glares at Chanyeol, "You're not funny. Hanhan-hyung will leave the day after tomorrow." He turns his back against them and walks off but Chanyeol chases him. 

"I am serious! Baekhyun and I saw them! Believe me!"

"Hmp! Leave me alone, Chanyeol. You are just saying that because I don't go around playing with the two of you anymore. What can I do? I really like to be with Hanhan-hyu--"

"Let's go to the lake house and you'll see." Chanyeol drags Kai and forces him to ride the bicycle. Baekhyun trails behind them. When they reach the lake house, Kai hurriedly approaches the door, eager to show them that his Hanhan-hyung cannot leave. He hasn't said anything to Kai and so it's impossible. 

At the porch, Kai notices a basket. Inside it is a stack of sweets-candies and chocolates that are Kai's favorites. The flower crown which he gave Lu Han a few days ago is there, too. Chanyeol and Baekhyun observe while their friend slowly processes the situation. Kai finds a letter tucked under the basket and quickly opens it. He is starting to sweat hard; his heart pounding in anxiousness.

"Kai-ah, I am really sorry I didn't have the chance to say goodbye. A friend dropped by and asked me to go back to Seoul today for an important work. I don't think I can come back to your town before I fly out of the country. I am really sorry. Please forgive Hanhan-hyung, okay? Like what I said, if fate permits, we'll see each other someday. Enjoy the candies I bought you. It will last for another year-maybe for the next Halloween. Share them to your friends if you like. Always take care of yourself and grow up to be a kind person. Thank you for everything." 

Love,

Hanhan-hyung

 

There is a shadow casted on Kai's face before he drops the basket and goes on knocking the door. Baekhyun feels sorry for him and can't help but cry softly. Chanyeol is worried but he is afraid that Kai will hurt him if he says anything. When the door remains closed, Kai proceeds to the window and forces to open it but to no avail. Without saying a word, he taps it a couple of times- the sound gradually growing louder and louder until he is hurting his knuckles. It's a cue for Chanyeol to stop him. The tall boy grabs Kai from the window still. "Don't hurt yourself, Kai!"

As if all his energy drained, Kai's arms fall to his side. When Chanyeol peeks to see his face behind the long, black bangs, he sees his friend on the verge of crying. 

 

When I was ten, I confessed my love to you.

But then, you left me without a word.

 

You are so unfair, Hanhan-hyung.

 

 

 


A/n: Instead of updating my fic, I made this. kekeke  IDK why. >.< I will write the second (and final) chapter which will include Kai in his college years, and maybe meeting Lu Han again if fate permits. LOL 

<3

Comments and suggestions are very welcome. 

~Anika