FIRST

After Dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Choi Lina!" The ten year old girl tore her gaze from the thick forest surrounding their house to glance over her shoulder. Her mother stood in the doorway, frantically gesturing for her to enter the house.

Sighing softly, the young girl stood up from where she'd previously been perched on the front porch steps.

Ms. Choi snatched her daughter's arm as soon as it came into reach, hurriedly pulling the child into the safety of their house. When all five of the bolts on the door were finally locked, Ms. Choi turned towards her daughter, gripping her elbows and shaking her body lightly. "Don't you know what time it is?!"

Lina's hometown of Jeonduk was a small, secluded community in the middle of nowhere. It was safe to say that everyone knew everyone, as the town never had any visitors. 

Lina had a feeling that the lack of visitors had to do with the strange rumors that circulated around town.

It was said that strange creatures roamed the forests that surrounded the old town, waiting for curious young girls to wander in, only to be gobbled up by said beasts.

Most people would hear such stories and claim them as nonsense, but the citizens of Jeonduk thought otherwise. The town council established very strict rules about safety after settling down in the area fifty years ago. The first rule was that each household was required to own a rifle. The second rule was that the forest was to remain untouched, meaning no one goes in and nothing ever comes out. As for the last and most important rule, it is strictly forbidden for girls to step outside after sundown.

With crinkled eyebrows, Lina asked her mother, "Why can't I go outside at night?"

Her mother dropped her gaze, her trembling fingers fiddeling with the hem of her daughter's dress. "Why would you want to?" She replied, her voice void of emotion. With a shaky smile, she patted Lina's side, ushering her towards the stairs. "Come on. You're bath water is going to get cold if you don't wash up soon."

Holding hands, the two headed upstairs.

After her bath, Lina crawled into her bed, her mother coming in a few minutes later to tuck her in tightly. With a tender kiss to her daughter's forehead and a murmured goodnight, Ms. Choi was gone, softly closing the bedroom door behind her.

After hearing her mother's own bedroom door close, Lina jumped out of her bed and tiptoed over to her window. She curled up on the windowseat, leaning her elbows on the windowsill and continuing her curious observation. Why won't anyone tell me why?

 

- Ο -

 

Thirteen year old Lina, along with her best friend, Minji, were crouched on Lina's windowseat, binoculars pressed against the glass. The two were looking for any signs of life inside the forest, but it was kind of hard to see anything due to the fact that it was after midnight.

With an agitated sigh, Lina dropped the binoculars into her lap and nudging the other girl softly. "Forget it. We'll just have to think of some other way." Minji nodded begrudgingly, taking Lina's binoculars along with her own and placing them on Lina's desk.

"Go to bed!" Came Ms. Choi's muffled, agitated voice called from down the hall.

The two girls scurried across the room, leaping under the covers for sanctuary.  "G’night!" The two girls called back, giggling quietly. The two friends quickly fell asleep, dreaming of running through the trees under the full moon.

A few days later, Ms. Choi climbed down the porch steps slowly, brows furrowed in confusion. In the driveway was a patrol car, it's lights flashing red and blue.

Deputy Ahn stepped out of the car and approached her, thirteen year old Lina casually climbing out of the backseat. "See you tomorrow night, Mr. Ahn!" Lina called over her shoulder, flashing the two adults a mischievous grin before dashing into the house.

Ms. Choi smiled sheepishly at her old friend.

"I apologize for her behavior, Deputy. Honestly, I have no idea what's going on in her head sometimes."

The man adjusted his hat before shaking his head and gesturing towards the forest and the pink skyline behind it. "Jinri, I'm sure you know that Lina is a rather ambitious girl, but she has to stop doing this. It's dangerous, not only for her, but for the whole town. I was finally able to talk some sense into that Kim Minji, but nothing I say seems to be getting through to your daughter."

"The forest is forbidden, Ms. Choi, and so are your daughter's actions. I suggest you tak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter