Chapter 11

A Warm December

 

My eye lids twitched a few times before slowly fluttering open. I squinted against the yellow light that flooded the room. The room? I let my eyes adjust, and yes, I was inside. My eyes focused to a circular light above me, as a reflex a recoiled and wanted to shield my eyes. I attempted to lift my arm to cover my face, but I couldn’t, something was holding it down. I needed to sit up, but I couldn’t find the strength.

“Guys! Guys, I think he’s awake!” someone not five feet away from me yelled.

“Jinki?” I coughed out. Once I spoke I couldn’t stop coughing. I flopped up and down against what I assumed was a bed, because it was soft.

“Kibum!” Minho yelled when he entered the room, suddenly I was sitting up by the hands of Jinki and Minho, with a glass of water pressed to my lips. I took a sip, and glanced around the room.

“Where am I?” I asked, my throat felt better when I spoke this time, but it was still sore.

“In Dara and Bom’s hotel room. It was closest one we could get too.” I nodded at Jinki as he said this and took in my surroundings; the room was the classic warm yellow that all hotel rooms were, I was seemingly in a bed room, and I took note to the many heaters placed around the room, pointing at me. There was a window in front of me showing that it was now day time.

            I was in a bed, what was holding down my arm was the five set of sheets laid over top of me. I shifted uncomfortably. Jinki took notice and started to peel away the sheets. Once free I did a self inventory. I stretched my fingers and bent them a few different ways – okay they were working. I started to spin my wrists, but stopped remembering that one was injured. I shook my arms up and down, and flapped them about like a bird – check. I wiggled my toes – working. I patted down my chest, and nothing seemed out of place. I heaved a sigh of relief, I was in one piece.

“How do I look?” I looked at Minho, squinting to see through my sleepy eyes.

“You look like hell to be honest.” He replied simply, giving a small smile. I molded my face into one of horror, turning to get out of the bed. Jinki stopped me.

“Oh no, no, no. You’re not going anywhere.” He said, putting on his leader voice. I scoffed.

“I’ll be damned if I look bad at a time like this, help me up.” He stared at me for awhile, looking me over once, and then he features softened. He held out his hand and helped me off the bed to my feet.

When I my left foot touched the floor I almost jumped from the pain. I lifted the foot again and lightly touched my ankle. I just then realized it was wrapped in gauze.

“Is it broken?” I asked looking up at Jinki.

“No, just badly sprained. But that wrist is broken, so be careful.” I looked over at it and pulled back my sleeve revealing that it too was wrapped in gauze.

“How did I get in these clothes?” I asked looking down at myself for the first time. I was in a maroon sweater and baggy sweat pants – and extremely fuzzy socks. None of them were mine.

“The pants are Minho’s the sweater’s Bom’s and the socks are Taemin's.” Jinki replied, still holding onto my arm. I leaned onto his shoulder and started to hop towards the door. Then stopped.

“Where’s every one?” I looked behind me at Minho, who hadn’t moved since I sat up. My mouth dropped as I realized he was crying.

“Minho? Minho, what’s wrong?” I asked in panic. He wiped away the tears that had spilled onto his cheeks trying to smile.

“I’m just glad that you’re okay. You really scared us all. I can’t even be mad though.” He walked forward and gave me a tight hug. I hugged him back, but let go before I started to cry. He motioned to get on his back as he turned around and bent down. I climbed on with the help of Jinki. We walked out of the room into what seemed like the living room-slash-kitchen. The rooms fell silent as we walked in. Everyone turned to face us.

“H-hyung?” Taemin stood up slowly off one of the couches. I nodded at him in two quick bobs, he flew forward as Minho set me down. He squished me into a tight hug and I hugged back until it became hard to breathe.

“T-Taemin, can’t… breathe!” I choked out and he let go. He smiled at me apologetically. His eyes started to water and I frowned.

“Please don’t cry, I’m alright.” I said to him softly yet sternly. He closed his eyes and wiped at them.

“I won’t hyung.” He smiled at me and I smiled back.

“It’s good to see you up Kibum.” Dara said from the corner of the room. I looked at her and hobbled over, gripping her in a tight hug.

“Thank you so much Dara, for all you’ve done.” She tensed for a second then hugged me back.

“No problem Kibum-ah.” I smiled, it was official that were now friends, and there was no longer a need to be formal. I turned to Bom who was on the other side of the room and bowed at her.

“Thank you too Bom-noona.” I lifted my head to see her walking towards me, she enclosed me in a hug.

“No need to be formal now Kibum, ‘Bom’ is fine.” She smiled and let me go.

“Uhm, could I get something warm to drink?” I looked around the room, not sure how to get around to make it myself. Taemin ran into the kitchen before anyone could even reply. I looked at Minho and he stepped forward.

“Thank you too Minho. For saving me. I owe my life, literally.” I held my arms open ready for a hug, but he just stared at me.

“K-Kibum, I didn’t save you.” He began, I opened my mouth to question him, but stopped when I heard something hit the floor behind me. I turned around to see two figures standing in the door way.

“Kibum?”