Without a Loveline

Without a Loveline

Music was blazing loudly off the walls working in sync with the hyped doze of bodyshakes that drunk and frenzied masses, gathered at the ‘so called innocent’ birthday party of a middle-schooler, showcased. Youngjae was beyond pissed. He regretted succumbing to the pouty faces and constant pleads of his only friend of seven years Sungmi.

“Pretty please Jaejae. Please come. It’s the birthday party of my baby brother. Rikwoon is turning 15 and he is the true portrayal of innocence. Don’t you remember our Woon tricking us to buy him chocolates? How could you miss out such a big day for him Jae? He loves you and I will be there at the party. I promise it will be innocent.”

And here, 28 hours later, said innocent lad was faces with a pretty blond in front of atleast a fifty albeit drunkly cheering spectators. That too standing on the mid-table. There was alcohol everywhere. On desk, in the kitchen, in the bathroom (his innocent eyes had a misfortune to witness a couple drinking and flushing their puke onto toilet bowl earlier, when he had gone to the bathroom to finally get relieved of his bursting bladder) and on the porch. Oh! How much he loved Sungmi’s house. Her mother used to keep her surroundings well matched with pretty mantle pieces, comfy couches, lush curtains and beautiful photo frames that hung everywhere. He didn’t want to see her pure artwork destroyed by her only son who has come to the peak years of his teenage life. Uncle and Auntie Jung had given permission for a little private party that Woon had always wanted for his 15th landmark year and had departed for Sungmi’s grandparents place on one condition that the party must be alcohol-free and not to miss the point wherein they stressed on keeping the furniture intact. Needless to say, none of the conditions were followed.

Youngjae had wanted to just vanish into the cold air of the living room that was full of cigarette smoke. Having no way to go back to his place as Sungmi has quiet sneakily stole his key ring that unfortunately contained the masterkey of his apartment, that stupid girl, he was sitting on a lone stool located in the far corner of the room. Not fully hidden but somewhat invisible to the eyes of the loud teenagers. With a blue plastic glass half filled with water in hands, his mind wandered back to the thoughts of his best friend and he could not hold back a smile creeping up his lips. Sungmi, however wild she was, was his only friend. His best friend in the world. Though he met her under unusual circumstances, she had been with him through all thick and thins.

On the way to his first class in the Junior High, Yougjae let out a long sigh. New to the city, he had never known that a school could be this complicated. The paper carrying his schedule was heavily marked with stupid lines and dots that Youngjae, even after being one of the top scholars of his previous school, could not decipher. He nervously looked around, smoothing his unruly jet black locks with his other hand.

“Who are you Mr. Spectacles?” A rough voice called out to him. He turned and was faced with a tall, really tall boy with bronze skin and head full of copper hair slicked back. This boy looked intimidating and had some sort of fire in his orbs not to forget the utter sense of superiority that this lad carried with him. Youngjae wasn’t ready to be bullied one the very first day in his new school. He swallowed the mass of saliva that has unknowingly pooled in his mouth. Youngjae was not a weakling. Not at all. But he liked being in his own world rather than battling a crowd of mindless, domineering people. Albeit his love for reading and writing, he couldn’t be classified into a typical nerd. He was just Youngjae.

“Stop scaring the poor newbee Kris.” A pretty girl with unblemished fair skin and shoulder length dark brown hair walked towards them. Her jumpy steps and wide-stretched smile were enough to project her as a friendly person. When in periphery, she stood on her tiptoes to give that scary guy a peck on the cheeks. Kris smiled and they gazed at each other for a brief moment. Turning towards Youngjae, after remembering about the situation in hand, the girl passed on, “Don’t mind my ‘looks to kill’ would-be boyfriend. And by would-be I meant me not accepting his proposal” Kris gave a pout (That scary guy actually pouted)
“yet. He is not what he looks like, if you know what I mean. He probably just wanted to help you out. Right Kris?” She turned to look at his ‘would-be’ boyfriend, who nodded as if on a leash. Youngjae had an urge to snort but he controlled his senses as he didn’t want to mark his name in the bad books of this lovely (read devil) girl who had this fierce man called Kris completely under her command.

The girl extended her long limb, “Hello stranger, I am Sungmi or Jung Sungmi but I don’t like my full name unless it means ’Jung Sungmi’ being scribbled on the cards attached on top of gifts that I receive. Hell, I love gifts. I am an eighth grader, pretty smart to be chosen as the prom queen last year”. God, this girl was chatty and gave out too much information. Youngjae decided to keep himself brief onto introduction while taking her hands. “Hi, Yoo Youngjae. New into town. An eighth grader too. Nice to meet you” He wanted to run away as soon he could but the girl squealed as if Christmas had come early. “Oh Wow! We can be best of friends Jaejae” Youngjae winced at the stupid nickname. “Show me your schedule; I hope we are in same classes.”

During the span of year, the girl followed him everywhere like everywhere. It was as if she had grown affectionate of Youngjae. “Jaejae lets go and eat outside, you don’t like canteen food.” “Jaejae, why don’t you relax? Homework can wait.” “Jaejae you don’t sleep well now-a-days. Is something bothering you?” Sungmi kept on pestering him with her endless banter. At first, he found it annoying but eventually grew habitual of it. Sungmi cared for him, for reasons unknown and he reciprocated after a year or so. She was there with him when Myungsoo.....

Youngjae came out of his reverie at the thought of his breakup with his first boyfriend, an ex-classmate of his from his last school. Myungsoo was the best boyfriend ever, bringing him chocolates that he absolutely loved and flowers with his sweet smile. He was the only one who found Youngjae’s chubby cheeks that Jae was embarrassed of really cute. The tall, cute and handsome-faced boy praised him, complimented him, wished him and texted him almost every day, even being in a different city from Youngjae’s current place. He made Jae happy. It was a first love for both of them. Youngjae even told his parent about his relationship with dimple-laced boy which took a lot of courage to do. His whole world came tumbling down when Myungsoo just vanished from his life, for whole two months. No texts, no calls nothing. During the span of time Youngjae convinced himself, that Myungsoo fell out of love with him. Nights felt empty and cold and he grew tired of crying everyday in his sleep. Sungmi held him every time he broke off in class, gently wiped off his tears. She was like a mother figure to Youngjae. He remembers Myungsoo coming to him half a year later, explaining about his miseries. He came to know that Myungsoo wants a breakup not because he had stopped loving him, but his parents have warned him of loving Youngjae. Of being gay. Myungsoo looked like he meant things he said, but Youngjae couldn’t forgive him for just disappearing of his life, like a wind. He had let him go, eyes full of sadness.

‘I still love you Youngjae, but I just can’t be with you. Please forgive me.”

Youngjae shook his head as if it could clear out his overflowing brain but music was too high playing an unknown number by an unknown artist, who was saying simply nothing but ‘Yeahs’ and ‘Heys’. Music albums today were a lie, just slurring drag of words in a blazing tune, a loud bass and electronic mix. It took his mood further down. Looking into the sea of unknown faces, he spotted Sungmi swaying on the beats with his boyfriend Kris’s hands on his hips as if guiding her dance. A true irony as Sungmi was a champion dancer and Kris couldn’t dance to save his life. Youngjae openly laughed at the sight in front of him. His best friend has Kris wrapped around her little finger.

Someone cleared his throat beside him. Youngjae turned to see a set of wide eyes looking directly at him. He pulled back only to be hit by the wall behind him. A series of curses drew out of his mouth before he could stop. He boy chuckled loudly.

“You are one interesting guy” the boy smirked pulling his lips to one side.

Youngjae ignored him, looking into another direction.

“I am talking to you, you know” that stupid boy continued.

“I am talking to you, you know. And this means everything to me. You are like a sun to me, giving me hopes and warmth. I would never forget you. You came to me, when everyone was out of my life. I would have felt so lonely, if it weren’t you, talking to me, taking in my continuous blabbering, caring for me. You mean a lot Youngjae.” Yongguk has said. He was a senior in Youngjae’s school and he looked at Yongguk as a mentor. Yongguk had to go to the US for studies so, he had left everyone behind. Youngjae stayed. After a series of small chats and regular nightcalls on skype Youngjae fell for him. Yongguk was mature and most intelligent of the lot. He supported and read Youngjae’s creations, giving him honest opinions. Youngjae looked forward to the day when he would be coming back, when he would be confessing to him. But he had hoped too much. Yongguk came with a girl hanging by his side, introducing her to everyone as his girlfriend. Youngjae was shattered. He couldn’t face anyone, too scared that his eyes will reveal everything. He hadn’t even told Sungmi about Yongguk, but she sensed his inner turmoil and cornered Yongguk one day confronting him about his relationship with Youngjae. As expected, Yongguk denied. “I don’t know what you are talking about girl. How could you accuse me of such a thing? Youngjae was just an acquaintance, not even a friend.”

‘Not even a friend’

‘Not even a friend’

A huge sigh bought him back to the present. The boy who was trying really hard to make him talk had suddenly come to his front, waving a hand in front of his eyes.

"You are stupid you know" the boy scoffed. That’s it, Youngjae thought, it’s downright insult. No wanting to come rude to the boy he simply said, “Why do you say so?” There was a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"Because you are spaced off and that look you are putting is funny. Aren't you happy I am here?" the boy replied, full of himself. He had a nice face, Youngjae judged, but mentally cursed himself after a second for thinking so. Boys are bad news, especially good-looking ones. He had learned that hard way.

"Who says I need you? Hell do I even know you?" Youngjae was beyond angry now. This boy was entering his personal space, coming closer.

"You just wait and watch. You will be begging me to not go anywhere within a span of time."The big eyed one hurried, withdrawing and going back to his chair, situated beside Youngjae’s.

"I am used to people leaving. Don't worry I will do no such thing." Youngjae looked down, finding the hem of his shirt more interesting. Scenes replayed in his head, of Changmin calling him a clingy bastard and leaving him in tears. In front of the entire school. Changmin was from another school and had met Youngjae during school fest where he had participated in a singing competition. They both grew closer with the common love for music. He used to send Youngjae his latest formed tunes asking him to fill in with lyrics. Youngjae thought he was like a gush of spring wind, soft and charming, soothing his burnouts that Yongguk had given him. They were like a piece of song, Youngjae being the words and Changmin being the music. He took Youngjae out on a few dates, talking about everything, making him smile. But Youngjae feared this sheer happiness being a fake and his fears came true after a month when Changmin showed his true self. Changmin had eyes for some other girl of the school Youngjae went and was using him as a stepping stone to reach her. Changmin lashed out all his anger on him, when Youngjae refused doing such a deed calling him clingy and an idiot. Youngjae was left with nothing; even his reputation at school had been destroyed.

“You think I could fall for you? Have you seen your face in the mirror, you stupid, stupid man.”

A light thwack on his head had him down from the high again. He wasn’t at the school, but a birthday party of his best friend’s brother. He cringed at the sight in view, full of people. Someone in his side moved, discarding his chair. The boy stood in front, blocking his view of the living room. Youngjae noticed that boy had nice thick lips, worn his hair smooth, long fringe covering his forehead, had a nice white v-neck under his black jacket and skinny denim hugging his nicely sculpted legs. This boy was manly not to forget the rough and deep voice he had. The said boy laughed in a nice ring, making Youngjae’s cheeks turn pink. , he has seen me checking him out. He mentally slapped himself.

“Don’t worry, you are not the first one who has fallen to my charming self. Man, who wouldn’t want a piece of this.” He smirked pointing himself. Youngjae wanted to snort and say whatever but his tongue got tied as a he saw someone approaching him. No way, he thought, what would he be doing here and cringed remembering that he went to the same university as this person, there is a possibility of him being here. The thick-lipped boy sensed his dilemma turning around curiously.

“Youngjae, why are you doing hidden here?” The man asked him. “And who are you?” he directed towards the thick-lipped boy.

Youngjae had made up his mind on running away. He couldn’t face this man, he couldn’t not after what this man had done to Youngjae. He harshly got up, turning his face from those curious glances he was getting but was stopped by a quick hand holding his waist. He looked up to see the thick-lipped boy smiling at him, through his fringe.

“I would be Jung Daehyun, Youngjae’s boyfriend.” Youngjae was beyond shocked at the boy’s words, mind blocked, unable to make coherent syllables. “S......”

He was cut by the man’s equally shocked voice, “He never told me about you, Daehyun ssi. When did this happen Jae?”

“We recently made it official, right sweetie.” Daehyun lied, sweetly looking at Youngjae with sickenly sweet glares as if telling him to play along. “By the way, mind telling about yourself. I guess Youngjae never told me about you either, I take you as someone unimportant.” There was an air of attitude in his voice but he could see the other was not able to wrap his mind about this new piece of information he was getting.

“I am Suho, Jae’s classmate and closest friend. We had some problems and we stopped talking. But I am still not able to take it Jae, why him?” Suho slurred eyebrows peaking, eyes wide.

“Well, as you said, you guys are not talking...”

“I am not asking you Daehyun ssi. Jae, answer me.”

“See, you are making my baby uncomfortable.”

“Am I, really Jae.” Youngjae cringed at the words, the pain in Suho’s eyes sending him to another direction. The direction in which he shared his things with Suho, laughing with him, crying with him. His years of University were full of Suho moments, late night calls and lovely gifts. They were close but not enough. Suho’s roommate loathed Youngjae, as if he was insecure of their closeness, as if Youngjae was taking Suho from him. Kikwang was a man with high standards, ordering Suho around, which Youngjae disliked, causing fights between Suho and Youngjae. At a trip, when wrapped into the arms of Suho, Youngjae realised his feelings for him but feared his back luck with romance. Still he confessed giving himself a chance. His confession was never returned, but caused a huge rift between the two ending only with a holdout. They stopped talking. But it was really tough for Youngjae as they belonged to the same university. It was difficult facing him.

“You cause troubles, Youngjae. I can’t bear being with you.”

“Yes, you are making me uncomfortable Suho. Daehyun let’s get some fresh air.” Youngjae spoke up with a domineer, struggling hard not to succumb to his emotions. Daehyun complied taking Youngjae’s hands into his and guiding him outside. Leaving Suho dumbstruck.

They hurried out, squeezing through the masses. Youngjae was finding it hard to breathe. When on porch he hastily untangled his locked hands with Daehyun and spoke up.

“Thanks, but you can go now.”

“Tchh that is what you say to your knight in shining armour. I’m disappointed in you Youngjae.” Daehyun smiled despite of his words.

“I already said Thanks. What do you expect out of me now? Just leave me alone.”

“Fiesty, are we. But I like that. I like you.” Daehyun smirked with twinkling eyes.

“Don’t say things so casually, Daehyun ssi. I don’t know you, you don’t know me. So, kindly leave me alone.”

“I love blue colour, cars, bikes, hell all gadgets, playing video games, action movies, rock music, singing and cats. Well, now you know me, you can’t complaint. And about you I’ll know if you will go out with me.” Daehyun looked at him with big hopeful eyes.

“You don’t know about me. I’m unlucky. You will be hurt when you will be with me. I am born without a loveline. Please walk out before it gets harsh.” Youngjae was full of spite while taking out his words.

“I don’t mind. I don’t mind troubles. Now, agree on a date, else I will make you.”

“You cannot m......” His mind stopped working witnessing a pair of thick lips on his own, that was pressed gently. He could not move, he didn’t know what to do. Daehyun pulled back with a smile and Youngjae could do nothing but blink at him. Once, twice..

“I see, you cannot say NO now. As I will silence your negation everytime.” He smirked blinding Youngjae with his devious yet sweet glare. He was a mess everywhere, mind, body, everywhere. He wanted to fall in love, he wanted to live his life as the utter romantic things he wrote. He wanted his own prince charming, but was scared to try. He spread his palms out, looking down with sad eyes.

Daehyun took his pale palms onto his own big one, trailing his lines with his finger. Bringing them to his lips to put feather-light kisses on each of the moons in the hand.

“You don’t need a love-line Youngjae. I am here now, to love you.”

 

 

AN: There done! It is my first story, so don't mind it being a one-shot. I will be writing more in the future I promise. I had feels and went with the flow. This chapter is dedicated to the one who entered my life a few months back at a birthday party and now you can guess it. Although ending we dunno, the start was good. I hope this story made you happy and sad at the same time and may of you could see yourself in Youngjae. But trust me, life is stormy at first, but everyone has a fairytale written just for them. You will get them true one day.

Love you

Thank you.