Chapter 1

Photograph (Based on True Story!)

Student laughing on their desk, pencil rapping against the tabble, chair legs screeching against the floor. Boys throwing away test papers, nerds staring at their laptops, and popular girls gossiping around. It was a big mess.  The teacher was arching her neck while her eyes stared at the students who looked desperate and frustrated. No wonder why the class was so noisy. The teacher just haded them their math test over.

“Silence, everyone. Remedial test is on Wednesday. Make sure you are well prepared.” Said the teacher firmly. Even in what the teacher calls silence, there are still laughs and teensy coughs penetrating the quietness. He straigtened his position while carrying his books, heading towards the door. The students bowed as he left the class.

“70. I didn’t do well after all.” Said Naeun, with a groan. Jungsang High School tests are crazy afterall. It isn’t surprising if most of the students got a remedial especially on math, physic, and chemistry test.

“How’s your score? I didn’t do well. I just got 90.” Kikwang said as he approached Naeun. He spotted an empty seat next to her and sat there. He looked at Naeun’s gloomy expression, patted her back, and sighed deeply. “Remedial huh?”

“Kikwang, I’m not in the mood. Shut up.” Naeun said. She held her test paper tightly, it almost ripped. She clenced her teeth and sighed again and again.

Kikwang spotted an opportunity when Naeun was not paying attention. He snatched her test paper and ran away. Naeun eyes widened. She rised up from her seat and chased him while yelling his name like an idiot.

A tall boy, Chanyeol, saw the two chasing around like tom and jerrry, chuckled. He went to two girls who was laughing ever since the test was handed on the left side of the class. “Let me guess. Eunji, you don’t pass. Bomi, you too.” He said with a joking tone.

“Yep we don’t.” Eunji said while handing him her test paper, meanwhile Bomi was too shy to reveal her score. The intelligent Chanyeol got almost perfect score this time, making Bomi hestitate to reveal the exact opposite. However, he kept insisting her to reveal it.

“You know, Jungsang is known for their crazy exam. No matter how much you study it won’t be any use.” Bomi said. She finally gave up and handed him her test paper with a big 50 mark on it.

“It’s okay. It’s not like grades determine everything.”, Chanyeol cheered, “Let me teach you parts that you can’t.” Bomi eyes sparkled toward the gentle boy. She nodded in agreement and start pointing almost all questions.

Naeun finally got her test back from Kikwang. Her heart was pounding faster after running non-stop for 10 minutes. Kikwang breathed heavily while whiping sweat on his forehead.

“I’m just tired, Kikwang. Everyday I sleep at 12 and wake up at 5. Why does this school start at 6 am anyway. I am not able to focus on my study due to lack of sleep.” Naeun complained as she retreived her test paper. Kikwang smiled looking at her reaction. As always, Son Naeun, there is no ending of her reasons.

“On my previous school, class started at 8 am, the teachers are nice, subjects aren’t as hard as it seems, exams were okay, and of course social promotion. School life was such a wonderful moment, but not until I move here.” Naeun groaned. Kikwang just nodded along her complains.

Naeun sighed again and again. She went near Chanyeol followed by Kikwang and sat on top of the table nearby. “Yeol-ah, why did I even get into this killer school? I can’t do the entrance test even a bit.”

“Say Ms.Son who aced the interview.” Chanyeol said. Naeun smiled a bit hearing his statement, but then she went back into frustration. She ruffled her long black hair, making Chanyeol and Kikwang surprised.

Being a good talker isn’t much advantage for Jungsang High School. Jungsang High School is that type of school whose students try hard to survive in a vicious academic environment that rewards the intelligent, prioritizes the wealthy, and looks down on the less intellectually gifter or dumb. This things hypnotize parents and other adult to smack their children if they got a bad score. School should’ve introduce a concept which is grades aren’t the only thing that matter. Electives classes like art, theatre, music, and so on supposed to be learned. Not only math, science, and history.

Naeun mother even said, ‘You’ll forget everything about the subject since you were forced to learn anyway. Your personality is way more important than your grades’, and yet she still force her kids to get a good score. Unlike her, Naeun father was way more generous. He said, ‘Try to do your best to get a good score but don’t force yourself. You know, I hated math when I was your age. Algebra, in real world, isn’t necessary. You just need to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.’

“Let’s forget about it. I’m hungry.” Eunji said while rubbing her tummy.

“I’ll skip. I’m going to play a game.” Said Joon Young who was busy with his laptop.

“Me too.” Said Chen  while staring at his new downloaded movie about fighting thingy.

“It’s a girls hangout then. Let’s go Naeun, Bbom, and ... Dasom?” Eunji stared at Dasom who was very quite since the test was given.  The girl’s cheeks flushed and her eyes sparkled with ferocity but not until tears dropped a little by little.

“She didn’t do well, huh?” Bomi said. She looked at Naeun and Eunji, giving a signal to leave her alone. They left, leaving dasom alone in the class. It was the best decision. Last time when anyone try to cheer her up, Her hand suddenly closed into fist and she crouched forward, telling everyone to leave her alone.

The bright, cheerful and smart Dasom turned into a Jungsang robot, a robot that was built in stress factory. She only want a good mark, but senior school is different than middle school. Especially in Jungsang, tests and exams are crazy. No matter how much you study it won’t be any use.

“Honestly I’m afraid. B- score and Jungsang will call my parents. Teachers seem to look at the negative and trying to get their students in trouble.” Naeun said as they went down the stair to the canteen. Bomi started to worry.

“Let’s forget about it. Food will cheer you up, okay?” Eunji said cheerfully. They went inside the canteen. It was a dark, gloomy, and creepy canteen but, it is one of good things about Jungsang High School. The lunch is very affordable. You can’t buy anything with 5.000 won ($5) before but here, you can be extremely full with it.

Bomi went over the seller to buy some snacks when a tall and handsome boy aprroached the same direction. Her eyes widened and poked Naeun shoulder. Naeun who was not paying attention, annoyed with her action.

“What are you doing, Bbom?” Naeun asked.

“Dddd... Doo.. Doojoon is here.” Bomi whispered. Not up to a second, Naeun eyes directed to the tall handsome boy. Yoon Doojoon, Jungsang football team. If only he was not in Jungsang, Naeun won’t ever want to go to school. He is so handsome and everywhere he goes, there will always be a cool aura surrounding the place. 

Naeun eyes were lit up like a twinkle of a star that had been trapped inside his world. His smile seemed to change the whole world. It was just a simple quirk of his lips lifting at the sides made Naeun acted like an idiot. She was distracted for a moment by his smile, forgetting how to behave normally.

“You haven’t forget about him, don’t you?” Bomi giggled while trying to mess up with Naeun. Naeun hurriedly turned back into her normal self and left the place as soon as possible. She dragged Bomi and Eunji away from the canteen toward the toilet.

“I’ve had move on already, okay? He’s the past.” Naeun as she put on a grin as if she had forced to put on a smile. Her eyes could tell everyone that she was sad.

Yoo Doo Joon, he was the only boy Naeun had a crush on. He caught her attention since the first day of school and was Naeun source of motivation. He gave her hope to survive this hell called Jungsang. He is very popular among freshman. He might not be the coolest guy ever but he is very charming. Naeun used to be close with Doo Joon’s sister, but she cut off contact with her when she heard that Doojoon was seeing someone. That girl whom Doojoon closed with was a pretty model. It was so impossible to compete with such a girl. Ever since then, she was only able to forget about him.

The three girls went back to the class exactly 5 minutes before the bell rang. Most of the students was not inside the class yet. Since it was not Jungsang’s top subject (math and science), students mostly skip the class.

The teacher calmy when inside after the bell rang without considering the other students who was not present.  Students inside the classroom quickly got back into their seat and quite a bit.

“Kids, I’ll just make it short. This semester there will be a big project, a big group project. This project will be the only grade for this sociology and art subject. There will be no test or exam, so I’m really looking forward to your anticipation toward this project.”

Most of the students were surprised and yell in excitement. Some began to thank the teacher for no test and exam while some celebrated their happiness with singing a song. “What is the big project?” one of the student asked.

“Make a movie about nowdays society.”

The sentence was greeted by a confused look from the student. The teacher explain throughly about the project and told them to devide themself into group of 10.

“Mujigae come here. Naeun, Dasom, Bbom, Yeol, Kwang, Joonyoung, Chen, and Junhyung. Let’s do it,” Eunji said, “But we need one more member.” The team was already formed with 9 members and there was only 1 more needed. She looked around and saw one girl who was not yet in a group. Minah.

“Out of all people, why Minah?” Kikwang protested. He rolled his eyes when Minah approached him and acted cute infront of him.

“Aigooo, let me join you guys to for a one perfect group. Ah-iiinngg.” She said while doing aegyo infront of the boys, making them puke.

“Let’s get to work. Junhyung and I will do the script. Any idea for the theme?” Dasom said as she cut of Minah words. She looked around and see a blank face from the other member. “Time.. yes, we need time to think.” She continued and clasped her hand. She dragged Junhyung to work with her for the script.

“Joon-ah, can you do the video edit for the movie?” Naeun asked Joonyoung who was holding his laptop. Joonyoung shooked his head without even looking at Naeun.

“Joon!” Naeun shouted. Joonyoung stopped his activity and turned around to face her. “I’m a gamer, not an editor. I don’t know how to do those stuff.”

“How about the other?” Naeun asked. The other shooked their head. They knew completely nothing about filming thingy. “I only able to do basic edit. We need to make it as a perfect one. This is the only score for this subject.” Naeun sighed as she flung herself on Bomi. Bomi seemed like wanting to spit out a word but hestitate. Seeing Naeun desperate expression, she decided to speak up.

“You see Naeun ah.. I had this one friend from my previous school. He is a great videographer, photography and whatever you can called him. I’ve show you the video that he make before, the music video one. We can ask for his help if you want to. I’m not sure if this is allowed and I don’t really lik-.” Bomi whispered at Naeun but then cut.

“Problem solved. We are going to use him.” Naeun clapped her hand. Naeun grabbed her phone from her pocket and opened a music video to show the other. It was a nicely taken music video and seems professional.  They showed a nice reaction and satisfied with the work.

“A friend of mine, Kim Myungsoo, is the one who made that video.” Bomi explained. She glanced at Naeun to make sure that this is the right decision to request for help from outsider. Naeun nodded.

“And we are going to get help from him.”

 


AUTHOR NOTE

I wrote this really fast, so I'm sorry if there's a lot of mistake.

Sorry for the bad english! I hope you still can understand my english :(

Thankyou for reading! Please comment and subcribe! Those thing really liften up my mood :D

 ↪ like for real, i really love when someone comment my story. It makes my day!

RcsxXYq.gif