Accidental Marriage Proposal

Accidental Love Confession

“Sooyoung, are you serious? Why can’t you write your own proposal letter to your own girlfriend?” Taeyeon asked, sorting the legal documents into her briefcase. After gruesome years of working under her father at the firm, she was finally promoted to junior partner, which meant no social life but just enough time for a daily six hours of sleep.

 

“Because, Taengoo…” Sooyoung whined, grating Taeyeon’s ears. “I can’t write like you. Your words are ooey, gooey, cheesy, cringy but in a Shakepearean way. Plus, didn’t you mention how you won Tiffany’s heart with a love letter that was meant for some gay dude?”

 

Her ears felt hot. “Are you trying to sweet talk me into writing your proposal for Sunny? Because it’s not working since you really at it.”

 

“Oh, right. Please, please, please Taengoo! For me? Your favorite cousin?” Sooyoung let out a puppy-like whimper on the phone, which was worse than the giant’s whining. “Remember when you accidentally scratched your dad’s car and I took the blame for you? Or the time you snuck out late at night to visit Tiffany and I covered for you by saying that you were sleeping over at my place? Or the time when—“

 

“Okay, Choi, I get it!” Taeyeon grumbled, sighed, and closed her briefcase with a little too much strength than was necessary. “You win. I’ll write your proposal letter for you.”

 

“Really?! Thanks, Taengoo! I will owe you for life.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. It’s your life that will change forever.”

 

“How so?”

 

“For one, we’re only twenty-seven. Marriage is for when you’re thirty or older. There’s honestly no rush right now. Two, weddings are overrated and time-consuming. A lot of planning needs to be involved which will make it difficult to balance your work during those months. Three, divorce rates are going up. And lastly, brace yourself Sooyoung, but I hear the isn’t as good once you get married.” Taeyeon waited for Sooyoung’s scream of horror, but instead, what she got was a hysterical laugh.

 

“You’re really against marriage, aren’t you?”

 

“Well, no, I just don’t think I’m ready for marriage right now, especially since I just made partner.”

 

“Oh, well, I think Sunny and I are ready for it. She’s been hinting it for a while actually.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t know what to say to that. She didn’t agree with Sooyoung, but if this was what she felt about marriage, then by all means, she was happy for her cousin.

 

“I think that’s why it'll work out. Sunny and I are on the same page about this, just like how you and Tiffany have decided to wait it out for a while longer. Anyways, I’ll come by to pick up the letter when you’re done. Just text me when you are, okay? Thanks, again. Bye.”

 

“Bye.” Taeyeon muttered, but once the call ended, it left her thinking about her girlfriend of ten years. They never talked about marriage since the subject never came up, but Tiffany surely shared her view, right? “Of course. She would have mentioned marriage if she actually wanted it.” She reassured herself as she started writing Sooyoung’s proposal on a baby blue cardstock paper.

 

An hour later, the letter was plopped onto her desk as she sleepily made her way to the master bedroom.

 

“Taetae?” Tiffany groggily mumbled in the dark as Taeyeon fell asleep on top of her.

 

“Too tired. Must sleep.” She answered robotically, nuzzling her face onto Tiffany’s flat tummy.

 

“Too sleepy to change out of your work clothes or to tell me about your day?” Tiffany chuckled as she brushed her fingers through Taeyeon’s hair.

 

“Shh.” Taeyeon hushed lowly, blowing warm air into Tiffany’s exposed belly button and making the girl shiver. “Paperwork. Yelling. Idiots at work. Annoying giant. Proposal letter.”

 

“Proposal letter?” Tiffany probed, but Taeyeon was already knocked out cold on top of her.

***

As it was a Sunday, Taeyeon woke up eight hours later. But not by the usual sweet-like-honey kiss. Nope, it was not gentle at all as Tiffany pounced on her, startling her awake as Tiffany’s deafening screams nearly destroyed her eardrums.

 

“Yes, yes, a million times yes!!”

 

“W-what?” Taeyeon croaked out, her brain half-asleep still. The random words hadn’t registered until she noticed the all-too-familiar baby blue letter waving in Tiffany’s hand.

 

“I will absolutely marry you, Taeyeon!” And what came after Tiffany’s excited reaction was a post-proposal kiss so passionate and out of this world that it left Taeyeon speechless and sweating bullets.

 

Oh, , I’m so screwed.


 

Just felt like making a sequel lol