CHAPTER FOUR: A NEW FRIEND

I Adore You

“Are you sure you’ll be fine going home alone?” Joshua asked as the bell echoed through the hallway. It’s so nice of him to ask. Even though we’ve only met this morning, I feel like we’ve been friends forever. He’s such a gentleman.

“Yeah. Of course. I can take care of myself.” I assured him with a smile. He nodded and waved his hands before turning to his heels and leaving me at our classroom’s door. I surveyed the crowd along the hallway, hoping to find my brother. I heard squeals from girls in the other end of the hall and my instinct told me he’s just around the corner.

I swing my head towards the direction of the screams and there they are again. The V line, walking like they own the hallway.

I swear it looked so funny, seeing them walk in poker faces which makes me wonder what they’re actually feeling inside. Are they just putting up a show or are they just really some cold hearted, arrogant group of boys who think highly of themselves?

“Excuse me!” I yelped as a girl ran into me, and I was pushed to the center of the hallway, where the students have parted to give way to the boys. Granting me with a really, really, good luck, I stumbled to face the group of boys now staring weirdly at me. I kept my eyes on the floor, preventing people from seeing my tomato face. Seriously! Why am I always the subject of their amusement!

“Oh! Vernon!” Mingyu said in an amused tone, pointing at me. Have they seen twins before? Doesn’t seem like it. Everyone’s so curious!

I closed my eyes, gathering all the guts I can hold and raised my head towards my brother. He was just there, smirking in a way that I dislike.

“Hey sis,” he smirked egotistically as if I wasn’t already embarrassed. I scoffed at his greeting.

“Oh? You came to school?” I raised my eyebrows, folding my arms across my chest. I wouldn’t tell what he did to my parents, but I’m sure he’s going to have to pay for it. He shouldn’t have left me in the first place.

“Aww, sis. Don’t be so stingy. I was just having too much fun with these guys.” He gestured to the four boys behind him, observing our conversation. They were all just standing there, amused of what’s happening. Especially Mingyu, who can’t take his eyes off me. Jeonghan and Wonwoo were nonchalantly, waiting patiently to move forward, while Seungcheol glared at me harmlessly. He seemed like he wasn’t in the mood.

“Vernon,” Seungcheol spoke, moving towards us. “You know we can’t let them wait for too long.” His voice sounding deeper than usually.

“Who’s waiting?” I asked, glancing slightly at Seungcheol’s way. I saw him smirk and sighed.

“It’s none of your business,” he spat, moving forward, bumping me in the process. The rest of the boys followed, as I glowered at my brother, challenging him to defend me from Seungcheol’s insolence.

“I’m sorry, Sara. I have to go.” He shrugged and ran off, chasing the rest of the group. I jeered unbelievable. How can he do this to me!! He’s certainly gonna get it when he gets home!!

“Are you all right?” A boy asked, touching me gently on my shoulders. I looked up and saw a familiar face from earlier. His eyes are so small, I can barely see his eyeballs.

“Hoshi-ssi! Yes. I’m fine.” I said, giving him a reassuring smile.

“I’m sorry for that. Seungcheol could sometimes be very rude.” A hint of disappointment filled the tone of his voice. So he’s actually defending him?

“Sometimes? He’s been mean to me all day long. I didn’t even do anything to him.” I said in spite. I am so annoyed by his mere presence.

“Well, to be fair, he’s always been mean to everybody. You gotta have to accept that. We actually don’t know why he still have friends after everything he’s done.” He chortled a bit, finding what he had just said funny, which wasn’t. “But in all honesty, he wasn’t like that back then. He changed a lot.”

I looked at Hoshi, hearing his tone dropped after saying that Seungcheol changed. There must have something that happened before which has led to this situation. Seems like Seungcheol was originally part of Hoshi and Woozi’s circle of friends…until something made Seungcheol leave them and push them away. I wonder what happened…

“Aren’t you going home yet?” He asked me, as we walk down the hallway towards the library.

“I’ll stay at the library for a while. Thanks.”

“All right. See you, Sara!” He waved his hands, showing his cute happy smile as he walked ahead. Hoshi is so nice. His smile was contagious. He’s going to be my friend. I’m sure of it.