CHAPTER THREE: THE FLOWER IN THE HALLWAY

I Adore You

The first day seems to be going very well. All my classes were all right (except second period because they were all looking at me weirdly) and some people were also friendly to me. Maybe those people who throw me glares were just merely the ones who don’t know how to interact with a half-Korean looking person like me. I don’t blame them for being unable to accept my presence in their school. Because I admit, my face really slightly lean more towards being Caucasian. I really look like a doll with porcelain skin complexion and round eyes.

I walked down the hallway alone, people minding their own businesses. That’s a good thing right? AT least they don’t make a fuss about new kids in school.

Appreciating the great feeling of being inside my own bubble, I didn’t realize that I had already bumped into someone in the hallway. That bubble popped and the sight of the person in front of me almost took my breath away. It took me a while to realize that the person in front was a man. He was so pretty and he looked like a flower.

“Oh!” He cried in shock, turning to look at the clumsy person who isn’t looking at where she was going. His eyes were glistening, as if they were so amused to see a new girl. A new clumsy girl.

“I’m sorry.” I let out a gasp, unable to look him in the eyes.

“Are you okay?” Slowly, I raised my eyes to meet his, and I think my heart started beating a little faster that its normal rate. It wasn’t just his eyes that made me feel like I was floating, but his worried face, soft and gentle. I think I just saw an angel.

“I’m okay. Thanks.” I stuttered and I could slap myself for being too obvious.

“Are you sure?” He frowned. “You’re the new girl, right?” He said in a pretty amused manner. His lips suddenly twitched in a wide smile revealing his white teeth. I swear I saw it sparkle.

I nodded shyly, wanting the moment to be over. It’s making me tense. It’s crazy. I can’t breathe.

“Woah, what a fool of me! You look exactly like Vernon!” Again, he looked so amused. What’s the big deal finding a twin of a person you know? It’s the worst thing ever, if you would ask me. “You should be his twin sister!” He said excitedly, and it surprised me when he suddenly placed his hands on both my shoulder and leaned forward to examine my face. I hope he didn’t see me turn into a tomato. It’s embarrassing.

“Woah! The resemblance is no joke.” His face was too near, I can’t…

“Jeonghan!” A deep voice called out behind me, and Jeonghan lifted his face without letting my shoulders go. Calm down, Sara.

“Hey,” Jeonghan nodded and smiled. He could knock me out anytime now.

“Aren’t you going to practice?” And suddenly the deep voice was so familiar that my heart rate doubled and I just wanted the earth to eat me.

“Ah, yes. I was about to go.” Gosh, I can’t even move. I was frozen and I don’t think I’ll melt anytime soon.

I don’t know but I think I felt his eyes moved to look at me and good thing my back was turned towards him. He wouldn’t notice me right? He wouldn’t know. For sure.

But then he just passed by us without looking back. Like he didn’t even care. At all. And I guess that’s good.

I looked up to Jeonghan’s face and he was smiling again. Why can’t he just stop smiling?

“I’m sorry, I gotta go. It’s nice to meet you. Wow.” He kept on shaking his head, like he felt incredulous finding Vernon’s twin frozen and mute. Okay maybe that’s me over reacting but seriously, he was shaking his head like he can’t believe anything about me. I mean, he was just too amused to be able to comprehend immediately what just happened.

He put down his hands and gave me a nod, before turning to his heels towards the direction Seungcheol went. I’m guessing they’re going to practice basketball.

It’s weird. He is so feminine and at the same time manly. I can’t really decide.

Anyway, when I was finally able to move my feet, I went to my locker finding Joshua waiting, his shoulders leaning at the door of my locker with arms crossed. He smiled when I got there. I almost forgot that we agreed to go to our last class together.

“What took you so long?” He asked, in a joking manner. I shook my head and opened my locker, collecting the stuff I needed.

“I was admiring a beautiful flower in the hallway.” I chuckled, intentionally making him confused.

“A flower in the hallway? Where?” He craned his neck and started looking behind me, as if he really wanted to see the flower. So he could be funny huh?

It’s only the first day and I think Joshua and I could be good friends. He’s nice and a legit gentleman. He’s been so good to me since this morning, sharing some of his lame jokes and his attempts to make goofy faces just to make me laugh. He’s a good guy and he could keep me company while my brother tries to build his own name in this school. What a social climber. (I am his sister so don’t tell me I should be nice to him okay?)

“Come on. We might get late.” I nudged him from his silly search for the flower in the hallway.

“Are you sure there’s a flower? How can a flower bloom inside the building?” He asked curiously. So he’s taking it seriously huh? I laughed.

“Let it go, Joshua. It’s nothing. Come on!!” I broke into a run which caught him off guard and unable to catch me without chasing his breath.

“Woah, you’re a fast runner, Sara.”

“Of course. I would run when I could.” I smirked, showing him who’s boss.

So far the day was quite nice. I met a flower and pretty nice people like the transferees and the welcoming committee. I guess it’s a blessing not having to encounter Seuncheol personally. It’s a good thing he didn’t try to kill me, despite last night’s encounter. Or perhaps he has completely forgotten all about it and I could live in peace. Or maybe I’m just overthinking and paranoid. Maybe he doesn’t really even care about me at all. I’m just assuming things.

I’ll let it go for today, because Mr. Jang has already entered with a creepy smile on his face and announced “Let’s have a quiz!” Yeah, a quiz. On the first day of school. Perhaps it’s just a diagnostic one but it’ll definitely challenge my knowledge because the way they teach here is way far from where I came from. I hope I can keep up.