1. night

The Moving Fingers

A/N: Didn’t proof read :/

It was a strange yet peaceful day. The sky was angry, but the moon was not. Even though the clouds were crying out scentless smells of water, the blinding white color held back the darkness like it was the good and the clouds was the bad. He wonder why this was. The weather never looked so odd; he had only seen pictures of the sky that looked as if his hand could go through it but this scenery was different.

I sat on underneath the hood of a flower shop that didn’t have a smell too it or it was probably the fact that on every boring night his nose went blind. Everything went blind, he didn’t know why nor did he care to.

Usually the heat was the only thing he felt when night had fell upon him but not on this new night. Even the cars before him were slowing down because of the beauty of it all. I believed that was the reason. But it was not. It was because the definition of the sky had bloomed to be something he had never imagined it to be. It was usually just a distraction to him because he never believed it had a real reason to exist; excluding scientifically facts of course but the thought never made it in my doubts.

People threw burrowed eyes as walked on the sidewalk because of the young the boy sat alone beneath a flower shop, letting all the rain soak his hair, his body, his dying brown acoustic guitar, and even his faith. Everyone had umbrellas except for him. He was almost a man but with a little bit of pride was shielding him.

Kyungsoo could have been his parent’s house in bed filled with warmth but he chose not to. Because that’ll lead them to believe that he left his dream to be a musician to be a lawyer or doctor. But Kyungsoo was no fool. The lyrical piece of art that could bring joy just by the soft hums and the moving fingers against the strings told Kyungsoo he could be happy and support his purpose.

Some nights he was left with an empty belly, only a sweater to keep him cozy, and un motivating spark in the eye. Some were hopeful and rewarding; those were the nights where he had a bed to lay on but his friend’s parents weren’t always fond of him; bad example they said.

These were the nights were he wanted to give up because the only thing keeping him cozy shouldn’t just be his jacket. But he felt music was the only thing to give him the emotion he craved most: happiness, then so be it.

But there was still this voice in the back of his saying ‘try one more time and then quit.’

Though he knew somewhere, somewhere unheard someone was willing to listen to his dreams and that was the only way to keep him motivated, positive.

During these nights, he listened to life. It said everything can be dark colors but that doesn’t mean light couldn’t be seen either. It said a purpose is installed everywhere whether you be a spoiled little girl, you be a drug addict, or a hopeless musician; capability is not determined by background, it’s determined by our heart. Life said a lot of things Kyungsoo didn’t understand. Bull, yes. Accuracy, of course. But he learned not to complain.

And how could he forget? It said failure was option. You can fall and get right back up not looking back at the mistake. Everyone one does. Some people lived with a defeated touch on the shoulder but never realized it. But those are people who lived unknowingly and Kyungsoo refused to be a part of it.

Maybe an unfamiliar voice could make him new and awake again.

“Hey.”

Kyungsoo found a man, not too tall but not too short either standing in front of him with a cigarette hanging lazily out of his hand. He had a gloom underneath him and it was clear he was just as hopeless as Kyungsoo. Even a blind man could see it.

“You don’t talk much, I get it. Neither do I. But it wouldn’t hurt to entertain me.” The man sat next to Kyungsoo and smiled at the lad. “You play guitar? I write boring stories that I think is pretty interesting but my editors says otherwise. You’re like me, I can tell.”

Kyungsoo took his stares away from the angry sky and locked his beam with the man who talked too much. “Who the are you?”

All he did was grin. “Kai.”

Kyungsoo rose from the wet ground before putting his guitar in its sack. He began to walk away before a voice called him again. “What? Am I not good company?”

“My idea of good company is the company of clever, well-informed people who have a great deal of conversation.”

Kai raised a brow. “Jane Austen?”

Kyungsoo couldn’t say he wasn’t surprised by Kai’s ability to pick out quotes; it just made him more embarrassed. “How’d ya know?”

“I’m literature major.”

Kyungsoo smirked. “Whatever.” And with that, he left Kai in a box with a death wish.

-

“Ya know you should just come live with me, Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun comments as he watched his friend devour the honeybun he given him on a sunny Tuesday morning. They were at the park (their usual hang out spot) and Kyungsoo was eating his ‘breakfast’ as if it was the best thing he ever tasted and this worried Baekhyun. “This is getting out of hand man.”

Kyungsoo frowned. “I’m not living with you.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t feel obligated to.”

Baekhyun scoffed at the words. “Ya know, your my friend and love you but honestly the older you get that more stupid you get.

“Kyungsoo stop being such a and listen to Baekhyun.” Both friends knew who that obnoxious voice was coming from: Chanyeol. He wore a varsity jacket that he probably stole from his dad. He also had basic jeans with old converse to complete his outfit. This could be considered the normal style for the three. Instead Baekhyun wore dirty plaid shirts while Kyungsoo thought oversized jackets comforted him with beanies and gloves. They weren’t the most updated with fashion but neither of them cared.

“Chanyeol! Tell Kyungsoo to come live with me.” Baekhyun tries again.

“Kyungsoo! Go live with Baekhyun.”

“No.”

“It looks your plan isn’t working man.”

Kyungsoo knew his friends meant well but all he could do was say no. Help was stupid word that use to have a meaning to him but not anymore. That word was nowhere to be found when he was being stumped by those jocks back in high school or the times his depression was taking a hold of his behavior (which is still impacting him today). So no. Kyungsoo didn’t believe in words like that because it created false hope.

“Can we drop it? I wan- Stop it!” Kyungsoo shouted as Chanyeol ruffled his hair. He punched his friend in the arm which earned a hurtful wince. “Anyway, I want to hang out with you guys before my gig. And I need to tell you guys about this weird guy I met last night.”

-

Kyungsoo realized that life sure does fly by when you’re young and being an idiot with your idiot friends. From jumping off a cliff into a pond , to yelling at people just for the fun of it, to ordering over fifty things at Mr. Kim’s restaurant just to piss him off which didn’t end up pretty this time. Usually he’ll just yell at the lads from a far but not on this morning, he chased them instead.

Kyungsoo struggled to keep his guitar sack from falling only making him which he never brought it with him but he had no other place to put it. Chanyeol was in a hysterical laughter as he threw his middle fingers up causing Kyungsoo to think it was too much. Even Baekhyun was in giggles but was less happy and more scared when he realized Mr. Kim had caught up but that wouldn’t last too long. The tired man eventually stopped his tracks and the three musketeer’s mission was a success.

They ended up at a basketball court with short gasps and throbbing chests. Kyungsoo walked over to the nearby table, throwing his guitar sack down. He sat down with regret and Baekhyun and Chanyeol followed the movements. “Let’s promise to never do that again.”

“Yeah, I agree.” Baekhyun announced.

Chanyeol let a smile touch it again. “Let’s do it again next week.” And that comment earned a chuckle from the other two friends. “Hey Kyungsoo. Tell us about the guy you mentioned earlier.”

Kyungsoo took a sip from the water Baekhyun had given him from his book sack before widening his eyes. “Oh! I forgot,” He confirmed. “So last night this random guy came by me and told me to entertain him or some crap like that. He said a lot of things that didn’t make sense to me. I guess his way of talking freaked me out. I don’t know…”

“Maybe he liked you.” Baekhyun made a voice of a little girl causing Kyungsoo to wince.

“I’m not into guy’s .”

“Well you might as well be because you’re never getting a girl looking like that.” Chanyeol chuckled at his overused joke.

“Go to hell.”

-

Kyungsoo could feel it well and easily. The rush he got when the lyrics poured out was describable, too surreal. His fingers hit his strings not too hard but not too soft either, just perfect. And this was the reason why he continued to never give up. The beauty of performing his own personal songs created hope. Even if at times he couldn’t understand his lyrics. There were a mixture of love, sadness, belief, gravity, and other things that contributed into his life.

The crowd of drunken men and women clapped coarsely. They probably didn’t listen to Kyungsoo at all but he didn’t mind. This group of people would probably clap for a duck who made noises so Kyungsoo chose not to take it to heart. He just needed a better bar to play at.

Once Kyungsoo said his thank you’s, he was getting ready to meet with owner of the bar to get his check but he was stopped. Stopped by the sight of Kai running out door as if something was chasing him. Out of anger, Kyungsoo followed him and didn’t mind that he would get wet because of raining; he only cared about finding that Kai.

He saw said man running into a dark alley which Kyungsoo did question but his stupidity took over his intelligence. He followed Kai and saw the lad knocking on a door at a rather rapid paste.

“Hey, !” Kyungsoo screamed causing Kai to let his eyes widen out of shock. He walked up to the bewildered man and grabbed him by the collar, not caring about the obvious height difference, “You following me?”

Kai calmed his expression before smiling softly. So soft that it warmed Kyungsoo’s heart, kind of. “I just wanted to see you perform…again.”

Kyungsoo brows furrowed. “Again? How the- Who the are you man? Why you’re following me?” Now the feeling of fear was taking him in. More freaked then curious.

“I saw you last month at the same bar. I realized you performed every Tuesday and Friday. I just – I just really like to see you perform so can you please let me go?”

Kyungsoo accepted the request and felt bad that his dirty fingers were on Kai’s well-made suit.  “Sorry…well you just could have told me that last night you .” Kyungsoo never had a supporter before instead of his friends. It actually made him happy, made him motivated.

Kai smiled. “I was but you left.” He patted his suit making Kyungsoo feel sorrier for ruining it.

“Well, thanks…I’ll just leave now.” Kyungsoo began to walk away before being called again.

“I’ll see you later…Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo was going to question how Kai knew his named but remembered that his name is announced every time he performs. Out of pleasure, Kyungsoo smiled genuinely for the first time in a long time. “Later.”

-

Kai- no, Jongin took a sip of his coffee and smirked at the delighted taste. He wrote at a slow paste as he tried to sort his thoughts out. His journal was coming to an end and he was happy to say his last pages were being filled with that lad he was most curious about.

Jongin grimaced at his last sentence and he knew his story would be a happy ending.

‘There’s this boy I know who smiled because life said so.’

 

A/N: Sorry for the lack of creativity towards the ending of the chapter. This is a prime example of lazy writing.