I Melt Him

Love The Wine You're With
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Either give me more wine or leave me alone.”

 

The St. Regis Hotel
55th Street, New York, USA
9.30 a.m.

 

 “What’s with the nice dress?” Seunghyun asked, complimenting Tiffany. His eyes scanned the woman in front of him head to foot; he only stopped when he saw her unconvinced expression. He also noticed she was even annoyed with what he just said. Annoyed.

 

In fact, she gave him back a sarcastic, doubting smile.

 

But he was being honest, in all honesty (exaggerated, but true.) And Seunghyun wanted to add, ‘what’s with the beautiful face and pretty hair’ too, but that was unnecessary and so unlike him. But really, Tiffany is too fresh-looking and gorgeous that morning. So he settled for the safest and non-obvious remark he can think of.

 

Tiffany smiled again, and sarcastically again, said, “Most beautiful piece of art you’ll see for today, Choi Seunghyun.”

 

Seunghyun smiled.He didn’t know her purpose was, if ever she had one, for dressing up nicely and fixing herself up when all they have to do is to go to an art museum. And he doesn’t even know why Tiffany answered the way she did. Another thing’s for sure though: Seunghyun didn’t want to find out either.

 

He didn’t have a choice but to tag her along. His cousins have some other businesses to do and his sister is out with a friend. More importantly, his family is expecting them to be together. That’s the difficult part, or rather, if Seunghyun is to describe it, the excruciating part – the two of them always being together.

 

All the while he thought bringing Tiffany, an American, to America, is never going to be a problem for him, it proved to be otherwise. Wherever he was, there she should be.

 

“I can shop while you go those art museums…” Tiffany suggested as she slammed the car door close. “We just call each other when we’re both done. What do you think?”

 

“No.” Seunghyun answered without looking at her. “You are coming with me.”

 

“I want to shop.” She began to whine. Something she has perfected on doing especially when she’s with him.  “It’s best for both-“

 

“Shop later.” He answered coldly.

 

And Choi Seunghyun knows how to stop her.
The cold man knew how to block the brat princess and ruin her wailing.

 

Tiffany stared at him. She did it quick and she retracted. Seunghyun just had a haircut and it suits him just fine. He looks more handsome with his new hair. And it’s dyed back to black. She likes his platinum hair just fine but his dark black just gets to her; it stops Tiffany on her tracks momentarily. She didn’t want to stare at him longer because he might notice and that is not good.

 

Ooops.
The new haircut just got in the new way.
Shopping will be later.

 

 

Gagosian Gallery
Madison Avenue, New York
11.30 a.m.

 

It takes Seunghyun more time to check on paintings and other art stuff than Tiffany. Needless to say, he appreciates them more than she does. He noticed that she does exert effort to understand what’s in front of her eyes, tries to see if there’s any special meaning to it, but then Tiffany really doesn’t really have that ultra-mega appreciation for art.

 

Seunghyun hated the fact that instead of seeing the pieces of art in the museum like he intends to, he was there watching Tiffany every step of the way. He knew he already missed several pieces of the famous artists he particularly took note of to see. But he was there, like a stalker, following Tiffany everywhere she goes. He stares on her face more than he does to the art pieces.

 

Is he starting to appreciate her more?
Uhm, he is unsure.

 

Tiffany just reads the labels, the description attached to every piece, the artist’s name and moves along to the next one. She tries to understand what's written and what’s the abstract’s trying to show basically.

 

Until someone’s conscience came knocking to his being and decided to help her.

 

“That’s from my favorite artist, Takashi Murakami.” Seunghyun spoke from behind.  He was proud when he said, “He’s a famous contemporary artist. I met him several times…  you know, he did stay here in New York for a time. His company, the one he founded, Kaikai Kiki, manages the careers of other young artists too. And in terms of artworks, some of his masterpieces actually sell… ”

 

“Expensively.” Tiffany cut him off.

 

“Huh?” Seunghyun was caught off-guard.

 

“A life-sized anime character with big s sold for less than five hundred thousand US dollars at Christie’s auction house… the next year, in 2003, another sculpture sold for more than that. Five years later, “My Lonesome Cowboy” sold for USD13.5 million at the Sotheby’s. He was named one of TIME Magazine’s “100 Most Influential People” on the same year…” Tiffany enumerated.

 

“Wait…” Seunghyun was surprised, “You know him?”

 

“He’s a Girls’ Generation fan.” Tiffany winked. “And his favorite is Tiffany Hwang!”

 

He paused before he can answer, “Really?”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes, “No, pabo! He collaborated with Louis Vuitton that’s why I know!!”

 

“I only know of an artist who is a Tiffany Hwang bias though.” She winked. “Choi Seunghyun.”

 

Seunghyun knew he turned pale. Tiffany never fails to surprise him. But as always, he didn’t want to show her, but this time he was caught off-guard and she knew. It was too evident in his face and in her face. Tiffany’s face spelled victory and Choi Seunghyun hated it. He hates it when she wins over him.

 

“Let’s go shopping, baby. I’m bored.” Tiffany flashed him a flirtatious smile. “You are hot, handsome and mysterious but way too boring, Choi Seunghyun. Let’s go shopping so you can make up for it.”

 

He does want to be called baby...  and by Tiffany. In fact, he knew his gaze softened when Tiffany called him baby; but she was just being sarcastic and all. She still continues to annoy him. And she does it on purpose all the time. Sadly and unfortunately for Choi Seunghyun, it became a habit of hers now.

 

“Shop, shop, shop.” Tiffany chanted repeatedly while she . “Top, top, top.”

 

They were staring at each other while she and he looked at her with disdain. How can this mature woman act so childishly? Seunghyun thought. The staring game only came to a halt when Seunghyun’s phone rang. It was his cousin, Junho.

 

“Top, top, top.” Tiffany pranced. “Shop, shop, shop.”

 

“Shut up.” Seunghyun told Tiffany with a stern face.

 

“I love you too, baby.” Tiffany blew him a kiss. She finally knew how to piss him off – that is, to be extra sweet with him and flirt with him. Seunghyun flares up like crazy. His whole face changes and there are times he panics.

 

Finally.
The cold man who never falters, panics.

 

“Hyung. Sorry, not you.” Seunghyun got back to talking with his cousin, “North Fork?”

 

North Fork?
You mean, farms, wineries, local breweries?

 

“Bear Mountain?” Seunghyun repeated.

 

Bear Mountain?
You mean, hiking, biking trails, picnic groves, fishing, and zoo?

 

“My girlfriend wants to go to the Bear Mountain.” Junho replied on the other line. “You’ll love it there.”

 

Seunghyun obviously preferred wineries. His cousin called up to ask him which place he wants to go to this weekend. This isn’t even an invitation; it’s mandatory and he must come. They’re having a road trip outside of New York and Junho is asking where he wants to go exactly: hiking in Bear Mountain or farming or getting wasted in North Fork. That is an easy choice for Choi Seunghyun, isn’t it?

 

Wasted on wine or sweating on a mountain?
Easy-peasy.
Heol.

 

“Minhyuk prefers going to the mountain too.” Junho informing Seunghyun that their other cousin prefers to have their shoes soiled rather than emptying bottles. “You know her girlfriend loves the outdoors too, right?”

 

Seunghyun wants to surrender. Why did his hyung even bothered to ask him when they already have a place in mind. Their respective girlfriends even preferred the same getaway place too. But Seunghyun wanted to be with his hyungs just this once. It’s a nice time to catch up since they rarely hang out in Seoul being busy with their own careers; Junho and Minhyuk are like the older brothers he never had. He wanted this ‘bonding’ time together with them.

 

But he really wanted to drink this weekend. He must get his refill. Being with his family most of time meant drinking is prohibited. His mother watched him like a watchdog and Tiffany, who turned out to be his mother’s spy, told him off when he managed to sneak in a few sips.

 

Tiffany.

 

“Shop, shop, shop.” Tiffany’s still on it. “Top, top, top.”

 

“Bear Mountain or North Folk?” Seunghyun covered the mouthpiece of his mobile phone.

 

“Are you kidding?” Tiffany laughed, “Shop or TOP?”

 

“Hyung, Tiffany wants to go to North Folk.” Seunghyun finally had some use of having Tiffany as his girlfriend. “My girlfriend likes North Folk better.”

 

“Alright, alright.” Junho gave in, “I’ll tell Minhyuk.”

 

Bingo.
Finally, the Bingu smiled.

 

Why didn’t Seunghyun ever think of that? Of course Tiffany Hwang would like to get wasted as much as he does. They were both deprived. Finally, a weekend they will look forward to. A weekend of wine.

 

“Shop or TOP?” Now, he has a reason to give her a sincere smile.

 

“Definitely SHOP.” Tiffany smiled.

 

Now she has a reason to smile back sincerely too.

 

 

“Give me one good reason, Choi Seunghyun…” Tiffany was hyperventilating. “Why your cousins are all in one car and we’re…”

 

Just the two of them in one car.
Riding separately with the rest.
Sweet.

 

“Like how many women would like to be in your place?” He snickered.

 

“I couldn’t think of one.” Tiffany snapped, “Oh, maybe the women who went with you inside Room Number Three in the Winter Winery? But I lost count and I don’t know their names.”

 

“You keep tabs?” He was sarcastic and proud.

 

“Do I have a lot of time?” She retorted, “And it’s none of my business.”

 

“You’re starting to like me, don’t you?” Seunghyun bit his lip, smiling. His eyes were smiling.

 

“ you.” But Tiffany was enraged and insulted.

 

“Again?”

 

“Drive, Choi Seunghyun before I throw you out of the car.” Tiffany said with a straight face. There is no way she is going to allow him remind about that fateful incident. Now she regrets it, sleeping with him that is.

 

“Someone’s losing her cool.” Seunghyun went on, “I thought, I was just one of the one-night-stands? Why get so worked-up?

 

 Tiffany then snapped her seatbelt open, and glared at him, “Stop the car, I’m getting off.”

 

“Put that back on, Tiffany.” Seunghyun panicked.

 

“I said stop the car.” She shouted.

 

“I said put that back on.” Seunghyun shouted back.

 

Oh.
Someone else is saying it instead of Tiffany.
Hawttt.

 

“I said ssssstttttop the car!!!!!!” Tiffany shrieked.

 

Seunghyun had no choice but to pull up on the side on an empty highway. Tiffany was still shouting at him. His cousins noticing that Seunghyun and Tiffany’s car stopped by the roadside, had stopped their car too. Junho alighted from the car and went to approach Seunghyun and Tiffany’s car.

 

“Look what you’ve done.” Seunghyun was mad. “How do I explain to them now?”

 

“Whatever, I’m getting off.” Tiffany is equally mad, “Get your hands off me, Choi Seunghyun. I hate you.”

 

Tiffany was pulling herself out of Seunghyun whose grip on her hand was very tight. Seunghyun, the cold man, felt nervous that his older cousin is coming close to his car and he can’t possibly tell him what they’re fighting about. A simple yet obviously embarrassing topic.

 

“Just this once, please.” Seunghyun breathed heavily. “Miyoung, please.”

 

Please.
From him.

 

And Miyoung.

 

She stopped moving.
 

 

“What’s up with those kids?” Minhyuk asked as Junho climbed back to the car. “Hyung, what?”

 

Junho was laughing, shaking his head, blushing.

 

“Tickling each other.” He told everyone.

 

 

Norfolk Waterside Marriot
E Main St., Norfolk
9.30 p.m.

 

“Let’s just get this straight-“ Tiffany threw her bag on top of the lone king-sized bed of their room. A room she is obviously sharing with her companion right now.

 

“Let’s just get this over and done with.” He replied icily.

 

Cold.
Unaffected.

 

“TOP.” Tiffany, was of course, disturbed that she will have to share two cold nights with an equally cold man whom she loathes more and more as the days pass by. “I know this is crazy, but can’t we just make up something like we’re fighting and we can’t be in one room together?”

 

She was hoping a favorable answer from him. After all, he repeatedly said he was forced to join this weekend getaway. And he doesn’t want to be stuck with the adults back in New York City either.  So he went with his cousins too. The only downside of getting out of the city is being with Tiffany whom he thinks is an eyesore and an excess baggage.

 

“No.” Seunghyun looked at her and began to undress.

 

Ugh, the torture.
 

Tiffany kept her eyes on him. She doesn’t know what part of his body is still covered; she can only see his eyes and part of his bare shoulders. She had to take note that it was his bare wide shoulders.

 

Bare.
Wide.
Tan.

Shoulders.

Choi Seunghyun’s.

 

1.2.3...

Faint.

Repeat.

 

As if he was really teasing her and pushing her to her limits, Seunghyun walked farther away from her so she can see a whole view of his body.

 

“I’m going out.” She closed her eyes and hurried to the door.

 

Seunghyun laughed.
He was still wearing his pants.

 

 

PRESS 626 Café and Wine Bar
Norfolk
10:30 a.m.

 

“I don’t drink.” Minah, Minhyuk’s girlfriend confessed to everyone at breakfast. “You know I’ve been trying to live healthily ever since so alcohol’s a no-no for me.”

 

“Oh, babe.” Minhyuk looked apologetic, “But I thought…”

 

“I thought Norfolk had farms with animals and the likes. I didn’t know it had farms with vineyards.” The confession went on. “I’m sorry. I know you guys must’ve been excited to drink and all.”

 

“I guess I have to say that for me too.” Sojin, Junho’s girlfriend, shyly admitted. “I pass out with one glass of red wine.”

 

Oh dear.

 

Junho come into the defense of her girlfriend though, “That’s no biggie, sweetheart. No drinks for you too. No forcing.”

 

“Tiffany…” Sojin asked, “Do you drink?”

With that question, the ever obnoxious and sarcastic Choi Seunghyun laughed hard. Every Choi girlfriend in that table does not tolerate alcohol; if Tiffany is a hard drinker, it will make her out of place. In fact, judging by the way she listened to the other ladies, Tiffany felt she was embarrassed she has a good relationship with wine and beer.

 

“I can tolerate it as much as I tolerate s.” Tiffany smiled sweetly.

 

Boom.
Fantastic answer.
Dance… woo-hoo

 

She smiled and glanced over Seunghyun who was obviously pissed off with her answer. “I know you guys were forced to go here because of us, so.”

 

“Can we go now?” Minah excitedly asked.

 

“No.” Seunghyun and Tiffany said together, alarmed.

 

“Well to be honest, we actually just drove you guys here.” Minhyuk said seriously, “Grandma said you guys don’t seem to be serious with each other and are always fighting so… this is like a weekend getaway for you two. Just the two of you.”

 

Seunghyun tried to seek help from his other cousin, Junho. But he offered no consolation either. They were all Grandma’s accomplices.

 

“Why do you have to go on a different car, Tabi?” Junho had to point this out, “When we can all fit into one?”

 

“You guys don’t understand…” Seunghyun is close to telling his hyungs the truth. He was even close to tears. Exaggerated but he can’t be left alone in a foreign place with a foreign woman whom he does not like.

 

“Fix whatever is needed to be fixed, Tabi.” Minhyuk told Seunghyun. “Take this opportunity to get to know each other more. It’s not gonna hurt you both.”

 

“It’s too obvious you don’t like each other anymore.” Junho added, “You ain’t fooling anyone.”

 

Everyone’s thinking it’s just over between them; no one ever thought nothing ever started yet.

 

Seunghyun kept quiet. Ever since they were young, he always listened to these men as if they were his brothers. But he can’t possibly get to know Tiffany Hwang a little better, right? And he doesn’t need to fix his relationship with her either. They are not in any way related to each other.

 

They’re just using each other.
No more, no less.
Period.

 

“Alright.” But Seunghyun had to reply like that. “I got it.”

 

He then looked at Tiffany, “We got it.”

 

Tiffany had no choice too.

 

 

“I need COFFEE to help me change the things I can and WINE to help me accept the things that I can’t…”

 

After dinner the same day, Seunghyun’s cousins and their girlfriends left to go back to New York City. That leaves the bickering fake couple by themselves to fend for their own.

 

The next morning, Seunghyun and Tiffany had their breakfast on separate tables. They weren’t even talking. No simple nod of acknowledgement that came from each other. Define strangers and define indifference. Choi Seunghyun had transferred rooms the night before so they didn’t need to spend it in one room together. Their rooms, however, are right next to each other’s.

 

After breakfast, Tiffany has decided to take a tour by the nearby vineyard by foot. She had nowhere else to go except there and she hurriedly finished her food and set off. Unknowingly, Seunghyun had exactly the same plan as hers.

 

It was too late for each one of them to change their course of route. And there is no way of denying that they’ve been tracking same path of direction and going to the same place. No one can tell the other to get lost because that would create another interaction, and worse, another argument. Peaceful coexistence is much better for both of them.

 

When they reach the lush green valley, they both realized what’s in front of their eyes are vineyards that produce wines which they both absolutely love. Seunghyun and Tiffany smiled. The air is fresh and cool and sky is blue; the atmosphere is just perfect.

 

Perfect.
No room for arguments.
No room for banters and bashings.

 

Tiffany started walking on to the vineyards feeling so happy and carefree. She spread her arms while the wind blew across her hair and face. “This is love.”

 

Seunghyun followed her; he walked in strides to catch up with her. Only a row of wine-producing plants separating them.

 

“Do you find me beautiful, Choi Seunghyun?” Tiffany peeked thru the vines which are taller than her; she can only see Seunghyun’s face and part of his body.

 

He had to peek too when he answered, “Yes.”

 

“Why don’t you like me?” She continued walking.

 

“You’re too noisy. You want attention.” Things he already told her before.

 

“I see.” Tiffany nodded, “Anything else?”

 

“Too emotional.” Seunghyun had to tell her that.

 

“Me?” Tiffany was surprised.

 

“If a guy leaves you, cry once then move on.” Seunghyun told her, “Don’t let it drag… You do exactly the opposite”

 

“Really?” Tiffany frowned, wondering.

 

“Macao.” Seunghyun smiled a little; reminding her.

 

“Ah, that.”

 

Then there was silence.
 

Seunghyun didn’t know if it was right to bring that up but it was Tiffany who asked, not him.

 

“Will you ever fall in love with me?” Tiffany asked.

 

“No.” Seunghyun was quick to answer.

 

“Why not?” She asked, feeling a little bit hurt.

 

“You’re too noisy. You want attention.”

 

“I got it.”  She nodded again. Her face, despite Seunghyun can only see a part of, seemed disappointed.

 

“…and emotional.” Seunghyun added.

 

Tiffany laughed. “You don’t have to say it over and over, Seunghyun. I can remember things well.”

 

“You’re beautiful but you’re not the type I take seriously.” Seunghyun told her, “I’m just being honest.”

 

“Alright.” Tiffany wasn’t sure why she started this conversation but she is damn sure she does not like his answers. But she always knew he is one of the girls; she didn’t know his conversation is going to hurt a little like it does now. “I already know that.”

 

“Forget what happened between us, Tiffany.” Seunghyun said, “I mean it. You needed me, so I was there. But it was just physical for me and nothing else. And I find you beautiful. But that’s it. You’re a beautiful woman that a man would find hard to resist. And…”

 

“And?”

 

Tiffany waited.
She waited long.

 

 “I’m just a man.” Seunghyun hesitated but he answered still.

 

Tiffany knew all of these things.
Of course.

 

“Call me whatever you want to call me.” Seunghyun looked at his feet, “But let’s just stop bumping into each other. After we go home, we can absolutely be out of each other’s lives.”

 

“Not until Namjoo and Soohyuk….”

 

“They’ll be fine.” Seunghyun was convinced about his friends’ relationship. “They always break up and get back together anyway.”

 

“You’re starting to lose your cool, Tee-Oh-Pee.” Tiffany chuckled, sensing Seunghyun getting all worked up with their conversation. It must been after he said, “I’m just a man.”

 

“You’re getting into my nerves.” He smiled. Seunghyun’s dimples showed and Tiffany was surprised that she saw them.

 

“I do since day one.” She reminded him. “And you actually made me feel like that almost all the time.”

 

“Tiffany.” Seunghyun stopped walking. “My family just keeps asking about you, while I get irritated by you more and more. Everything used to be fine. Moeka and I are fine.”

 

“And cheating on her’s fine I suppose?”

 

“Shut up.” Seunghyun is still smiling. His deep dimples were showing.

 

“I’ll be out of your life as soon as possible. No need to pressure me, alright?” Tiffany had to tell him they had to end their involvement pretty soon too.

 

“Great.” Seunghyun replied unenthusiastically.

 

“But for the meantime, can we be two normal, mature and non-fighting adults and enjoy this weekend?” Tiffany inched her way in from her lane to Seunghyun’s. Sure she got some scratches from the branches and twigs when she forced herself in the middle of the vines. “Please, Choi Seunghyun?”

 

He didn’t say anything.

 

“Can we you just consider I dine with your family like almost every week?”

 

He looked at her clueless.

 

“Your nephew sleeps in my house, Choi Seunghyun.” She told him, with her eyes in total admiration, “He cries when he leaves.”

 

He is still wordless.

 

“I am here, on leave from work, missing out special occasions with my family and bonding with friends because I have to attend yours.” Tiffany emphasized, “I deserve better treatment than the coldest of the cold you’ve been giving me.”

 

His eyes on hers, but no reaction still.

 

“I’ve been treating you too…” Tiffany sighed, “But… I deserve better. Like a phone call or a message if I arrived home after a session in the Winter Winery Club. I know you ask CL or Bom or Naeun, everyone! You open doors for the other girls… but never for me.”

 

Still no response from the cold handsome man.

 

“And most importantly, you never poured me wine, except when your family is around… and that’s like one, two times? Because your Mom scolds you if you drink a lot. I am not asking you to be sweet to me or act like a real boyfriend, TOP. Just act… act… nice. Or not cold. Just not… cold.”

 

“Alright.” Seunghyun nodded.

 

Finally.

 

“Just these three days.”

 

“Two.” Seunghyun corrected.

 

The cold man always cold.

 

 

“Don’t you want to try other restaurants?” Tiffany asked. She was trying to fix her hair while she asked; the wind was blowing too hard while she and Seunghyun was walking that strip of restaurants in North Fork. Itinerary for the day is lunch in a Korean restaurant and visit a local winery.

 

Only the latter excited Hwang Miyoung.

 

“I’ve been eating American food for more than a week. I’m missing out my own.”  Seunghyun reasoned out. He went behind Tiffany, stopped and gently grabbed her shoulders to stop her from walking too. “Stop… stop...”

 

He pulled her messy, air-blown hair back together and combed it with his large, beautiful fingers. “You have a tie? What do you call that, ponytail?”

 

Tiffany bit her lip. She was surprised as heck. Is he going to tie her hair?
Does he do this to his friends? Girlfriends? One-night-stands?

 

“None?” Seunghyun was waiting.

 

Tiffany snapped out and started looking in her bag. Since she was a bit shocked, she didn’t know what she was looking for but she kept rummaging thru the contents of her bag.

 

“None?” Seunghyun asked again; he stepped forward, peeking from behind her. He let go of her hair for the time being. He placed his face on top of her shoulder; their faces almost touching.

 

“There!” Tiffany finally found a pink ribbon.

 

“Thanks.” The cold man said thanks, got the pink ribbon, smiled and smelled her hair before he pulled away from her.

 

Then he tied her hair.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Both smiled without showing each other.

 

 

“Drink wine in n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter