fading polaroid

pieces of us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’ll see you again, soon”

He stood in front of the busy road, with the constant blaring of hons as it was getting packed, amidst the sea of people. He waited, for the light to turn green, to walk the pedestrian walk.

A few slight brushes on the shoulder made him stagger, he took a step forward in surprise to balance himself from the constant push. The light has turned green, rather than walking, he felt like he was dragged away with the moving crowd – just like a waste being washed away by the current.

He couldn’t decipher his feeling the moment he reached the other side of the road, did it feel like being carried by the wind or did it feel like drowning in the huge wave, he couldn’t choose.

Shoving his hands further into his jacket, he took a double take on the road before him, the road to home which seemed to look colder than the usual. Hesitant steps became forceful steps when few droplets of water landed on him.

Not enough with his grey innervation, the sky was mocking him as well. At times like this, he even started to mock himself, ‘couldn’t it get any better?’

With sagged shoulders, he forced his way through the crowd that started to dissipate in rush as the drizzling rain turned into a heavy one.

A bump on the shoulder, a walk through the slippery road and the clouding grey sky that mirrored his mind and view perfectly – who would’ve thought he could actually made it home alright. He didn’t make any attempt on rushing, though his shoulders were hunched as soon as he arrived at the building.

Cold air breezed through him, his fisted hands shaking – he figured, shoving them deeper into the soaked jacket didn’t do him any justice of warmth. He should’ve known better than to turn on the ac before he left this morning, because it hit him much harder than he thought when he stepped inside, clenching his teeth.

The boots left dirty trails and he slipped it off, knowing she hated it. Almost immediately, he stripped off his jacket and socks, rushing to the laundry room and throwing them into the laundry basket. Afterwards, resulting him to take a quick shower. His mind was blank, his train of thoughts has long stopped and everything he did was a blur.

It felt like his body was working on its own, that was until he stopped in front of her vanity dresser. A line of polaroid pictures tugged beside the mirror. His eyes trailing each pictures lining the mirror, a picture of them together, a picture of her laughing, a picture of him sneezing – she has a thing of taking the weirdest picture of him

A picture of them with their friends and family. Half of the pictures got the strangest angle, her perfect face while his was just half or the other one, where only her eyes were shown and he got full frame of his beam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter