MARTINGALE

Monte Sant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mingguk was fast asleep and Jiyong has moved to his room. She tossed and turned but it seemed that sleep was never going to come so she decided to do something. The pretty vintage boudoir immediately caught her eye and so now, she found herself in front of it, superficially brushing her hair when all she wanted to do was to make sense of what was happening around her. Gently, she smooths her dark brown tresses, unwilling to stop until her mind would be at ease.

 

She was staring intently at the mirror when she suddenly noticed that the eyes that were staring back at her, weren’t hers anymore. The woman in the mirror looked exactly like her but there was something in her eyes that Dara noticed the difference.

 

“Don’t be scared.”, her reflection spoke. “Dara, I’m not here to hurt you.”

 

“Are you…”, Dara’s eyes widen, and her hands hold the brush tight on her lap as she stares back. “Soojin…” Her reflection just smiles modestly.

 

“Much troubles you but I am afraid I can only help with a few.”, Soojin says.

 

“Mingguk…”, Dara starts. “When will…Is he…” She didn’t know exactly what she wanted to ask. “Why is he here?”

 

“I thought you knew the answer to that.”

 

“Did I really bring him back?”

 

“Not just you.”

 

“Jiyong.”, Dara says and Soojin nods. “But how is it possible?”

 

“Have you ever longed for anyone so much that you wished they were there with you?”, Soojin asked and Dara nods.

 

“But it never brought my parents back.”, Dara says. “I wanted to see them so much when I was struggling and trying to raise my brothers. I wished I had some help.”

 

“And you did find help.”, Soojin answered. “But it was you who let him go.” Dara sees an image of herself running away from the red carpet only to find herself in a casino, betting against Jiyong. That day was the death anniversary of her father. She was thinking of her parents, especially her father who was much against her chosen path in life. It wasn’t something that she was very much passionate about, but it was a means to survive. If there was anything that she knew she was passionate about, it was making her siblings happy.

 

“Dara, you are a very strong woman. You protected your family as much as you could and because of you, they have a good life now. The help that you needed was right in front of you when you wished for it, just as I am with you now. Mingguk’s desire to be with us again was too strong that he came back to know you. You see, when we were around, I was also preoccupied with my daughter that I didn’t spend that much time with my son, so he always sought the attention of his father. If only I had known that my time with him will be cut short, then I would have held him every waking day. There is much that I regret, Dara. Watching him happy with you, it eases my heart a bit.”

 

“Am I really…I mean, are we…the same?” Dara asks. “Am I you?”

 

“You can hardly be me as I can be you. I am my own, as you are. I decided my own fate, as you will.”, Soojin answers.

 

“I don’t really trust fate.”, Dara declares to the reflection.

 

“You want things to make sense to you but what if this is the universe’s way of helping you, teaching you, telling you that not everything can and should make sense. What does matter, is someone’s deep yearning for what she truly desires. And that, I cannot answer for you. Maybe while you are here, you will find out.”

 

“Mingguk will disappear soon?”

 

“Once we’re together again, then he will rest.”

 

“Jiyong cares for Mingguk. I can tell he treats him like his own. What happens when Mingguk’s gone?”

 

Soojin does not answer but she smiles one last time before Dara noticed that her reflection was back and Soojin was gone.

 

“What the hell just happened.”, Dara whispered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hello, this is Kwon Jiyong.”, he says onto the receiver while he was preparing breakfast. He was chopping onions, mixing eggs, preparing waffles and started the coffee maker. He heard the grandfather clock chime at 7 am and he knew he had to make that phone call to his lawyers. He says a short summary about what happened at the café yesterday before he started asking his questions.

 

“I want to know what I have to do for the police to get off Dara’s back.” He pauses to listen while he plates the dishes. “No, they only said that it was illegal to jump and well, there was a corpse, but it was probably there since people began to settle on this island.” He pauses again, then some syrup from his thumb. “I just want for the police to leave the ruins and Dara alone. I want to open as soon as possible.”

 

“Mr. Kwon, the ruins are yours and you have papers to prove that so basically, if you don’t file charges against Ms. Park, then there shouldn’t be any problem. But aren’t you scared that there might be other bodies under the ruins?”, the lawyer asks. “Maybe that’s why the police won’t leave it alone.”

 

“I’m certain there’s none.” Jiyong answers. “The other body was supposedly burned along with the house on it. Listen, I want you to contact Seungri and help them get results immediately. I need to get those remains and bury it properly.”

 

After Jiyong ends the call, he massages his nape and takes a deep breath. He prepared this grand breakfast, but he didn’t even ask what her brothers liked. He only knew that Seunghyun preferred his coffee black with no sugar. He turns to the door of the kitchen when he hears someone clap.

 

“Good morning.”, Dara smiles then gestures to the plates on the counter. “I see you’ve started early. How’d you know the way to my brother’s hearts was thru their stomach?”

 

“Papa…”, Jiyong looks down and sees Mingguk walking towards him. “Did you sleep well?”, Jiyong asks, crouching down to meet the boy. Mingguk nods then Jiyong carries him before turning back to Dara, who was wearing a yellow robe and pouring coffee for herself. “Do you think they will like it?”, he asks then she turns back, hiding a smile behind the coffee cup. It seems that Jiyong really wants her brothers’ favor. “I’m sure they will.”, she says. “But if you really want to know, they happen to like fried rice.”

 

“Oh no…”, Jiyong hides his face on Mingguk’s neck and Dara laughs. Soon, they were joined by sweaty teenagers who has just returned from their morning jog.

 

“Wow! Waffles!”, Jisoo says and takes 1 from the plate, tasting it. When she approves, Mino, Jinwoo and Hayi also digs in, completely ruining the plating Jiyong prepared. “This is really good!”, Mino says while his mouth was full, and the others agree. Jinwoo was holding a waffle on one hand and a bacon on the other. Kwon Jiyong smirks at Dara, proud of what he has done. Four plates have been cleaned from that brief visit to the kitchen before they went to their respective rooms to shower.

 

“That was a hit!”, Jiyong says while he fed Mingguk with some sweet potatoes however the boy reaches for a waffle. “See, even Mingguk loves it.”

 

“Watch.”, Dara says then she began her ministrations at the kitchen while Jiyong and Mingguk watched. Dara puts her hair up in a messy bun before she goes to the fridge and starts taking out ingredients. She washes the rice and cooks it before turning to the ham and sausages. She glances at Mingguk and Jiyong just to smile before she takes a bacon and eats it. Jiyong was too amused to see her working in the kitchen like she was so used to preparing food for a lot of people.

 

Seunghyun quietly walks in on them. “Morning…”, he mutters before yawning and takes a cup of coffee. His sees the plate with waffles and bacon on them. “Can I have this?”, he asks and Jiyong nods then Seunghyun takes the plate outside.

 

“Won’t they be full?”, Jiyong asks Dara. “Maybe I can help.”

 

“Don’t worry, I can manage.”, she grins at him while breaking the eggs. She was frying the ham and eggs separately then moves to the counter to chop some onions and garlic.

 

“You look like a professional chef, right Mingguk?”, Jiyong turns to the boy who laughs and nods. “Mama cooks well, right?”

 

“We’ll see if he will like this too.”, Dara smiles at them both. “I haven’t really cooked real food for him. Yesterday, at your place, I only gave him milk and the baby food you had. I didn’t really know if he could eat human food already.”

 

“Human food?”, Jiyong laughed. “He’s a baby, not a dog!”

 

“It’s not like I had the experience before, duh?”, Dara says. “Our mother used to feed my brothers mashed everything, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and Mino hated it. So, I don’t think Mingguk would like that. What does he usually eat?”

 

“I usually just give him anything.” Jiyong answers. “Just don’t give him too much yogurt.”

 

The strong aroma of garlic and onions began to fill the house and they hear footsteps from the stairs but the 1st to get to them was Seunghyun. “Noona!”, he says. “I missed this!”

 

“She’s making it again!”, Mino says. “And I’m hungry again!”

 

“That was just pre-breakfast, I believe.”, Jinwoo says.

 

“So much for the jog we did.”, Hayi tells them. “I’m going to set the table.”

 

“I’ll help!”, Jisoo offers but Jinwoo and Mino helps them too.

 

Dara got her coffee cup and drank, hiding a pleased smile behind it then when she caught Jiyong’s eyes she shrugs, like telling him, “I told you so.”

 

The whole family congregates at the dining table again, and true enough, Dara’s meal was a hit, even to Jiyong. The brothers looked at their sister’s suitor as soon as he took a bite and they all grinned with the pleased look Jiyong was having. “This is so good!”, Jiyong says before taking another spoonful. “Marry me, Dara!”

 

“YAH!”, boomed 3 loud voices then Mingguk laughed aloud.

 

“Mingguk also likes it.”, Hayi comments. “You have to teach me how to make this, Dara unnie!”

 

“Sure, I will.”, Dara says then she looks at Mino who couldn’t hide his delight. “But if you learn this, my brother might not want to come back with me.”, she teased, making Mino blush even harder.

 

“So chaps, what’s the agenda for today?”, Seunghyun asks.

 

“My horse!”, Jisoo says enthusiastically. “I’ll never forget!”

 

“We can take a look at the stables in the city.” Hayi volunteers. “I think I saw one that Jisoo will really like.”

 

“I think Hayi and I will be best friends in no time!”, Jisoo states then Dara sighs.

 

“Mingguk, looks like I’m the only one going back to the city at this rate, right?”, Dara tells the boy. “They like it so much here!” The boy looks at her then shakes his head. “O?”, she asks, and the boy shakes his head again. “Do you want me to stay?” Mingguk smiles and nods then Jiyong smooths his hair. “That’s my boy.”, he whispers before kissing the boy’s hair.

 

“What about you?”, Seunghyun turns to Jiyong and Dara. “Where are you going today?”

 

Jiyong was about to say something but Dara beat him to it. “We can go with you, right Jiyong?”

 

Seunghyun smiled. “Good!” However, it seems Jiyong had some other plans, but it looks like Dara wanted to be with her brothers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clad in tight-fitting white pants and loose white shirt with knee high brown boots, Dara stood with Clarity inside the riding area. The field had a few obstacles where people can practice, and she was too excited once she saw it, that she immediately excused herself from Jiyong and Mingguk. Jisoo and Hayi were at the stables looking through the horses while the boys settled at the waiting area. Seunghyun also brought Zeus and Cola. The owner of the stables welcomed him and got his horses to be saddled.

 

“Noona, not so fast!”, Jinwoo warns.

 

“Careful!”, Mino called out when Dara rides her horse. She gives them a thumbs up and a very pleased smile before she fixed her rider’s cap.

 

“I didn’t realize that she loved to ride horses.”, Jiyong tells Seunghyun, who was putting on gloves. The latter smiles and gives his friend a side eye. “She looked so graceful that day I first saw her ride one.” They both watch as Dara began riding Clarity and maneuvered her through each obstacle like a very skilled equestrian.

 

“Wipe that drool off your face.”, Seunghyun teased and grinned. “Ji…”

 

“No, Seunghyun, please…”, Jiyong turns to his friend, his eyes almost pleading. “I really, really, really like your sister. Why are you making this hard for me? We’re friends and soon-to-be business partners!”

 

“Jiyong, Dara’s happiness is my priority.”, Seunghyun answers. “She has to convince me that she’s happy with you before I can give you my blessing.” Jiyong smiles and nods. “But just so you know, she’s rather hard to please.” Seunghyun whispers to him before he walks to Zeus and joins Dara. Jinwoo follows while Mino sits with Jiyong and Mingguk.

 

“Aren’t you riding?”, Mino asks then gets Mingguk from the carrier to play with him.

 

“No one’s going to watch him.”, Jiyong says.

 

“Or are you scared?”, Mino says while making faces at the boy who laughs merrily.

 

“I know how to ride one but not as good as Seunghyun and Dara.”, Jiyong says, smiling while watching Dara before he turns to Mino. “How about you?”

 

“We moved to the city when I was still a baby so, I never really learned how to ride.”, Mino says. “I only started learning a few days ago but I’m not as good as them.” They were now both watching Seunghyun and Jinwoo teach Jisoo, but it seems she’s having a hard time mounting the horse. “She’s probably scared.”, Mino comments before handing Mingguk back to Jiyong and running to Jisoo. Jiyong watched as Dara’s family gave their youngest the support she needed. Jisoo fell a few times but she always got back up. Jiyong could see that she was really determined to learn.

 

“So…”, a voice says from beside him. He turns to find Dara, all flushed from the sun and the thrill, that even made her more beautiful. “Do you want to ride?”

 

“No, I’m fine right here.”, Jiyong says. “Would you like something to drink?” Dara shakes her head before sitting down and sighing. “Will Jisoo be all right? Even Mino is riding one now.”, he asks again and Dara nods. “Seunghyun and Hayi can handle it. Mino will be safe on Clarity.” Jiyong suddenly excuses himself and Dara thought that he would also join the others however, he comes back with 2 glasses of drinks. Dara smiles and thanks him. “I got more for the others, but I told them to bring it over a bit later.”

 

“Thank you, Jiyong.”, Dara says and sighs after the cold sweet drink slides down . “I’m starting to like it here.”

 

“You think, you’d want to live here?”, Jiyong asks, hopeful.

 

“Maybe when I retire.”, Dara answers then she glances sideways at him. Jiyong couldn’t even hide the disappointment. “I promised my manager I’d do another movie, so I have to go back to the city. Besides, Jinwoo, Mino and Jisoo’s career are all there. I have to make sure they’d be taken care of before I decide to move if I have to.”

 

“But it’s not like you can’t visit once in a while, right?”, Jiyong asks again. Dara had to bite her lip to stop herself from smiling silly. “Or maybe I might have some business in the city and when I go, will you see me? Or do you have those contract what-nots that doesn’t allow you to date?”

 

“I’m a grown woman, Jiyong.”, Dara says. “They aren’t that strict with actresses. However, on Jisoo’s part, well, she has those restrictions. Once we go back, Jisoo and Mino will be training again, Jinwoo might be filming too. Filming can go on for months then were given time to rest. I can always come back and maybe stay a month or two. You think that will be all right?” This time Jiyong smiled and nodded. “Tell me about your café.”

 

“Right, I was just talking to my lawyers this morning and I was asking them to hasten the investigation. I don’t think I can rearrange the interiors and start operating until the police will allow me to.” Jiyong leans back on his seat and props his feet on the chair across while Mingguk was dozing off in his carrier. “Seunghyun and I decided to open the café at the ruins so that it will be lively again. I hope you’ll be here when we open. We’re pretty much all set, but as you can see, you had to film there and well, it had to be pushed back.”

 

“You and Seunghyun are partners?”, Dara asks and Jiyong playfully hits her arm when she looked at him, teasing him again. Dara laughs, enjoying their time together. “If Seunghyun was a girl, would you be more attracted to him?”

 

“Of course, not!”, Jiyong answers then he reaches for Dara’s hand, entwines their fingers, and kisses the back of it. “He will be too tall for me, right?”

 

“I think he will be prettier.”, Dara says. “I always thought girls with long legs are the prettiest.”

 

“I beg to differ. You’ll still be more beautiful.” Jiyong shook his head. “Oh no, we have different tastes in girls.” They both laugh out loud that Mingguk stirs in his sleep but Jiyong immediately pats his leg to bring him back to sleep. “If it weren’t for Mingguk, would you still be here?”, Jiyong bravely asks.

 

“I’ll probably be on that plane back to Seoul.”, Dara answers honestly. “Although a part of me will miss the island.”

 

“Just the island?”, Jiyong pushed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter