MEET CUTE

Monte Sant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MEET CUTE.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was hot. He could feel the sun burn through his skin and smell the salty scent of the sea. He wondered where he was, but he couldn't seem to open his eyes. His mind tells him to make a run for it but his subconscious tells him to stand still and calm down.

 

 

He tosses an imaginary coin. Heads, run; tails, stay. The imaginary coin flips in the air then falls on his palm.

 

 

Tails.

 

 

Kwon Jiyong stood still, his subconscious winning over his more rational being. He tries to open his eyes once more and this time, he found that he could. He was on high ground, looking out to the vast ocean. The grass tickled his bare feet and it stretched behind him to carpet a building in ruins.

 

 

Kwon Jiyong smiles. He felt so light and carefree, as if all his troubles have disappeared. He knew he made the right decision but he wasn't entirely sure what it was. His gaze moves back to the ocean and suddenly, he was aboard the Sea Nymph, his own personal yacht. He bought it after he won a card game in Las Vegas, 5 years ago. He suddenly felt his lips burn a lingering feeling of regret. He remembers a woman, but not her face. He hears his name and he turns to the sound. He was now looking up at the high ground. There was a man, a woman and a small boy in the arms of the man. They were waving at him and he waves back. His curiosity gets the better of him and he drives his boat closer to the cliff. Kwon Jiyong shields his sight from the glare of the sun to look at their faces.

 

 

But when he did, and recognized the face of the man, he screamed.

 

 

 

 

 

He woke up with a hammering heart, cold sweat on his forehead and a lightheadedness that made him disoriented to his surroundings. His bedside radio alarm blasts an alternative rock song, pulling him out of his post-dream trance and made him get off his bed.

 

 

"Thank God, it was just a dream.", he says while stretching out his arms. "How can that guy be me? I don't even have a son yet!"

 

 

He attempts to crack the sore bones on his nape and tidied up his bed. His movements unhurried and relaxed that he even found time to do the air guitar in front of the full length mirror of  his walk-in closet that adjoined the private bathroom. As the chorus loudly plays in the built in speakers of the wide lavatory, Kwon Jiyong sings at the top of his lungs to the lovely view of the lake, as if it was his muse. 

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, Taehyun hears the muffled voice of Kwon Jiyong all the way to the kitchen. "He probably left a window open.", he mused quietly then looked behind his shoulder. "See what I have to put up with? This is how your life will be if you don't find your way back home."

 

 

The little boy sitting on the wooden breakfast table just looked at him with bright round eyes. His mouth was full and there were smears of yogurt around his lips. 

 

 

The sound of the shower ceased and Taehyun knew that his brother was going to appear any second now. "If he faints again, I'm not going to drag him to his bed this time.", he made a promise to the boy, as if the latter could understand him.

 

 

After putting on a plain white shirt and his favorite ripped jeans, he walks out of his room and savors the smell of coffee from the kitchen. He was thinking of waffles, strawberry syrup and fresh fruits when his daydream was crushed by the sight of a little boy on the table. The latter looked up to see Jiyong and gave him a toothy grin, with yogurt spilling down his chin.

 

 

"Good morning, Jiyong hyung!", Taehyun greets happily. "I trust you slept well?"

 

 

"Taehyun...", Jiyong speaks without looking at his brother. "Is...is that...where...I mean...what is that?" Jiyong half whispers and half screams to his brother with a horrified look on his face. He thought that what happened last night was all a dream. He never considered that walking out of his room would mark the continuation of his nightmare!

 

 

"Its a little person!", Taehyun answers. "I thought you might've forgotten so I waited just to remind you that last night really happened."

 

 

"Guk Guk!", the little person spoke. "Papa!"

 

 

Kwon Jiyong was speechless and Taehyun chuckled. "That's all that he's been saying. Come on, hyung! Your coffee is going to get cold." Taehyun says as he pours Jiyong coffee and sets it opposite him. Jiyong looked scared as he approached the table and Taehyun sensed it. "Don't worry! He doesn't bite! Come here!"

 

 

"How...", Jiyong asks once he was seated in front of his brother, the boy between them. "Where..."

 

 

"Watch...", Taehyun commands before he turns to the boy. "Gukguk!"

 

 

"Hm?", the boy looks at Taehyun sideways. 

 

 

"What's your name?"

 

 

"Ming-guk-kie!", the boy answers, breathing after every syllable.

 

 

"And how old are you?", Taehyun continues to ask. Minguk opens his palms up, and his brows furrowed as he concentrates on keeping his index finger up, while his other fingers closed.

 

 

"One?", Jiyong found his voice and asked. The boy turned to him, smiled and nodded. "And where did you come from?"

 

 

Minguk tilts his head to the side, and blinked his eyes at Jiyong. He seemed to be deep in thought and Jiyong thought that the boy didn't understand but then he straightens up and points past Jiyong. The two grown men turns to where the little boy pointed. They only see the black marble-top of the house bar and the back of the wooden TV case, that hid the living room. Jiyong looked back at Minguk but he kept on pointing. 

 

 

"Yes, you were on the couch last night, but where did you come from?", Jiyong asked again and Minguk pointed again. Jiyong looked at Taehyun. "This is hopeless."

 

 

Suddenly, Minguk stood and held his hands up, a gesture that babies do when they want to be carried. Taehyun and Jiyong looks at each other.

 

 

"I think he wants you to carry him.", Taehyun tells Jiyong.

 

 

"Why me?", Jiyong asks.

 

 

"He turned to you, duh?"

 

 

"No! You carry him!"

 

 

"Hyung, do I look like I know how?", Taehyun raised his brows at Jiyong and before the latter could speak, Minguk squats and touches Jiyong's hand. He pulls on it with the little strength he possessed and asks Jiyong to carry him. He couldn't do anything but oblige. He stood up then scoops the boy under his armpits and held him up.

 

 

"Where do you want to go?", Jiyong asked and Minguk points again, same direction where he was pointing earlier. Jiyong walks towards the living room, carrying him in a very uncomfortable way and Taehyun follows them.

 

 

"Its easier if you actually hold him closer and put one arm by his buttocks and another on his back.", Taehyun suggests which earned him a glare from the older guy.

 

 

"Why don't you carry him?", Jiyong says and swung Minguk towards the younger guy as if he was going to toss the boy. Taehyun opened his arms, scared that Jiyong will drop  him but Jiyong didn't let go and the little boy laughed. "Ya! You scared me!", Taehyun complains but Jiyong just grins before he sets Minguk on the floor.

 

 

The little boy runs to the glass walls and stares at the blue waters beyond the dock. Jiyong and Taehyun just looked at him then Minguk turns to them and points again. "Did you come from the town?", Taehyun asked and Minguk shook his head, his arm still outstretched. "The other island?", Minguk shook his head again, his face already scrunching in frustration?

 

 

"Did you come by boat?", Jiyong asked, thinking that he was pointing at his Sea Nymph and Minguk stomped his foot. The brothers looked at each other, still not understanding what the little boy meant.

 

 

"Did you swim all the way here?" Taehyun asked and Minguk cried out, frustrated. He glared at both men and pointed again. 

 

 

"Water?", Jiyong asked then Minguk smiled, but he was still pointing. "You came from the water?"

 

 

Minguk nodded, and he still kept on pointing.

 

 

"Aisssh!" It was Jiyong's turn to stomp his foot. "I can't speak kid, Taehyun! Deal with him!" Jiyong turns away but stops when he hears what seemed like an explosion from inside the pants, but in this case, swaddling cloth. Both adults looked at Mingguk and the yellowish stain on his .

 

 

"Oh ...", Jiyong says.

 

 

"Yes, literally." Taehyun nods.

 

 

 

 

 

Kwon Jiyong managed to take Mingguk inside his bathroom and began washing him in the shower. Taehyun waits by the door with a towel on hand.

 

 

"Hyung, I have to go to town and check on business.", he says.

 

 

"Leave this house and you'll never get in ever again.", Jiyong threatened. Taehyun thinks over a better argument but he realized that Jiyong can always change the passcode and the keycards. No matter what he says, Jiyong can do as he said and not let Taehyun enter the house. left with no choice, he quietly watches how Jiyong carefully washed the little boy.

 

 

"You look fit for this, to be quite honest.", Taehyun remarked. and Jiyong glares at him. "What do you expect me to do? Watch you play father, all day?"

 

 

Jiyong didn't answer, but instead he extends his arm for the towel, and Taehyun gives what he was holding. After toweling Mingguk dry, Jiyong turns to Taehyun again, with an arm outstretched.

 

 

"Clothes.", Jiyong says, Taehyun looked at him incredulously.

 

 

"He doesn't have clothes. He doesn't even have milk and all those what nots, babies need."

 

 

"Right...", Jiyong sighs then looks at the boy who was clinging onto his leg. "We're going to town and I'm going to need you, Taehyun."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What makes you think I can help you?", Taehyun whines as he drives his Mustang to town with Jiyong sitting in front and Mingguk on his lap. "What do I even know about babies?"

 

 

"Well, if it isn't obvious, how am I supposed to drive both of us to town if you weren't here?", Jiyong says. "And we have to drop by somewhere first. I have to ask a friend what Minguk needs."

 

 

They arrive at a small town clinic and Taehyun parks across. Taehyun was about to open his door but Jiyong stops him. "What?", the younger one whined.

 

 

"We can't just carry him inside like this.", Jiyong says. Taehyun looks at Minguk who was wearing one of his old shirts, and no diaper or swaddling cloth since he spoiled it a few minutes earlier. The shirt was too big for him and one of the sleeves was falling off and showing his shoulder. "I have an idea, can you carry him for a while?"

 

 

Taehyun nods and takes the boy from Jiyong who alights the car and opens the back door. He returns a few seconds later and opened his big designer mustard-colored bag in front of Taehyun.

 

 

"Hyung...", Taehyun looked unsure but Jiyong just took Minguk from him. 

 

 

"Gukguk...", Jiyong says and the boy smiles at him. "Want to play peek-a-boo?" The boy nods and jumps on his lap. "I want you to hide inside, okay?"

 

 

Taehyun looked incredulously at Jiyong and shook his head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Park Bom; reliable, trust-worthy, hell'a busy town doctor started her day early at 7:00 am and by 10:00 am, she wanted to call for a time out.

 

 

"Are you okay, Dr. Park?", her receptionist asks when she took a peak inside the doctor's office and saw the pretty lady hitting her head on her desk. The said pretty lady halts before she gets a concussion and looked up. 

 

 

"How many more patients are there?", Bom asked.

 

 

"We still have 5 before lunch."

 

 

"If there's no emergency, can I have a 10 min coffee break?", Bom pleads. "Please?"

 

 

"Of course, Dr. Park.", the younger girl smiles. "Would you like me to make you coffee?"

 

 

"No, I'll make my own.", Bom says with a smile.

 

 

"Oh and a Mr. Kwon Jiyong just arrived and is demanding to see you but I'll make him wait."

 

 

"Uh, no, let him come in.", Bom says. "I'm sure that whatever he wants to consult with me isn't medical."

 

 

"Oh, you two are friends?"

 

 

Bom nods and the receptionist calls on Kwon Jiyong while Bom stood up and poured herself some coffee. She was mixing the milk and sugar when Jiyong enters with Taehyun.

 

 

"What a surprise to see you, Jiyong!", Bom says with a smile. 

 

 

"I need your help, Bommie!"

 

 

"Where are your manners?", Bom says. "Come here and greet me properly! I need a hug!"

 

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes at his friend's childishness but gave in. He hugs Bom tight and smiles. Kwon Jiyong thought that his friend, all through kindergarten and high school never really changed despite what she has become now. People in Jeju have nothing but praises for her and she has always been selfless, for as long as Jiyong remembered. What the problem with Park Bom, is that, there is none, except that she's very accomplished, beautiful, successful and that can make men feel very inferior and insecure.

 

 

"Taehyun, its so nice to see you again!", Bom says, while walking up to the boy and hugging him as well. Jiyong smirked at his brother who looked really pleased with the show of affection he was getting, especially when Bom really has great body proportions.

 

 

"So, what may I help you with?", Bom asks, once she let Taehyun go. "You both don't look sick so..."

 

 

"Open the bag.", Jiyong says. "And don't freak out."

 

 

Park Bom looks at the bag Jiyong placed on the table and frowned. "This isn't like that one time you placed a snake inside our teacher's bag in high school, is it?"

 

 

"No, it's not.", Jiyong says. "I'm not playing any prank on you. I just really need your help."

 

 

Bom nods and puts her coffee cup down before she stands before the bag. She holds the zipper , opens it in once swift move then jumped when a little boy came out of the bag and said "BOO!"

 

 

"Oh my God!", Bom says, her palm against her chest, too shaken to move. "You cute little boy!", she smiles at him despite getting scared out of her wits. "What's your name, little guy?"

 

 

"Ming-guk-kie", he answers again, breathing after every syllable. 

 

 

"What are you wearing...", Bom looks at the shirt the boy was wearing then back at Jiyong and Taehyun. "Okay, explain."

 

 

"Taehyun and I were out on a holiday and we were gone for a good 5 days but when we returned, we found him inside the house with nothing, but his clothes and a blanket."

 

 

"You, poor thing...", Bom says then she carries the boy who smiled at her. "Where's your Papa?"

 

 

Minguk didn't hesitate and pointed at Jiyong. 

 

 

"He keeps saying that.", Jiyong says. "But I know, Bommie! I haven't gotten anyone pregnant yet!"

 

 

"Jiyong, anyone who has , whether in a relationship or not is capable of fathering a child. Weren't you previously dating that model..."

 

 

"Exactly!", Jiyong says. "And she was all over fashion week so, I don't think she had time to give birth between all that schedule! Besides, that was like 2 years ago."

 

 

"Yes, but haven't you casually hooked up with anyone?", Bom asked again. "He's about a year old."

 

 

"And that time, it was just the model and no, there's no chance that I could have fathered Minguk with someone else because you know me! I'm a one-man-woman!"

 

 

"Have you tried asking him?"

 

 

"I told you, he keeps saying I'm his father.", Jiyong sighs.

 

 

"No, I meant, ask him who his mother is.", Bom says then she looks at the boy who was playing with her necklace. "Mingukie?", Bom cooed and the boy looked at her. "Do you know who's your mother?"

 

 

Jiyong and Taehyun sat on the edge of their seat at Minguk's nod. Bom got the little boy's hand to get his attention. "Can you tell me who's your Mama?"

 

 

"Mama...", Minguk repeats then he looks around. He was quiet for some time then the three adults noticed that he was looking at the screen inside Bom's office. The local news was playing but it was on mute. The boy suddenly pointed and smiled. "MAMA!", he says as a movie star was being interviewed. Minguk looked at Bom again, his hand still pointing at the television. "Mama Mama..."

 

 

"See?", Jiyong says. "The boy's delusional, Bommie! Even more delusional than I am."

 

 

"I somehow agree with Jiyong-hyung on that.", Taehyun nods.

 

 

"Are you sure you didn't...", Bom still doubted, as the boy kept looking at the screen.

 

 

"How the hell will I even hook up with a movie star? I don't even know her and she doesn't even know me! Are you crazy?", Jiyong whined.

 

 

"Well, I don't really meddle in your love life unless you come to me crying but there's no harm in asking. She's in town. Maybe you can ask her.", Bom suggested and Jiyong looked at her incredulously. "Well, before all that, Jiyong seriously, what did you dress him with? And he doesn't even have a diaper on?"

 

 

"That's what I need help with. What are the things that I should get for him? I'm completely clueless about babies, Bommie!"

 

 

Park Bom smiles and sits down on her desk, putting back Minguk inside the bag before taking a pen and paper then starts writing down things for Jiyong. "He needs the right size of diapers and clothes. They all come in ages, from 0-6 months, then 6months to 1 year and those 1 year to 24 months. He needs night wear, pajamas, onesies, swaddling cloths and of course his daily wear, for going out and for staying home. Choose the light clothing, those tank tops are nice and breezy."

 

 

"He said he's one year old.", Taehyun says.

 

 

"Yes, but he looks younger or maybe he's in the early months of being a year old. I suggest you buy a lot, for your own convenience. You don't have a store that's close to where you live. By the way, Ji, didn't you say that there are only a few people who knows where you live?"

 

 

"Yeah, and may I add that you're the only woman

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter